CH : 14

AQUIVER

 “There’s a cake shop around, it’s good enough for breakfast.”

 

Yeri  lift her face when Jungkook is finally coming to her who’s waiting in the lobby. He looked so much younger than his usual day, because for the past two years Yeri only ever seeing him wearing a suit both for work and party. And now he came with a sporty jacket and a cap..just like how she sees him when they were first met.
Looking at him like this, she realized that Jungkook is still too young to actually dealing with this kind of problem, company, crazy family, work..a divorce.

 

“They have coffee, right?”

 

Jungkook is glancing at Yeri who walk beside him while holding her head. Hangover mut be hit her so hard after last night viasco.

 

“They do.”

 

 He offers her his hand so she can walk without too much energy. She was hesitant at first, but take it seconds later, it must be hard to walk while being dizzy.

 

“Uh..i remember this road.”

 

Yeri is walking while looking around and sometimes making Jungkook stop from his walk, just to take a picture of the view or a crowded market. She’s glaring at him when they finally arrived.

 

“Can we eat something else? We went here before.”

 

“That restaurant isn’t here anymore.”

 

Yeri is nodding her head when she scanned the shop and situation around her.

 

“Oh, you are right.”

 

“Out of business they said.”

 

“ I told you they’re not doing well the last time we went here.”

 

“What do you want?”

 

“There’s a line in there”

 

“I’ll go, it won’t be long.”

 

Yeri doesn’t seem impressed when he let go of her hands to enter the store, she’s tugging his jacket and he knows that she doesn’t want to be left behind.

 

“Alright, let’s just go together.”

 

They take the line while reading the menu. It’s quite varied and just like what Jungkook said, cheap.

 

“Cheese croissant is sold out. You only like that, right?”

 

Jungkook is staring at Yeri when she keeps scanning the menu. It does feels good for him that she still remembers what he likes or dislikes despite how bad their relationship is. 

 

“Oh they have chicken sandwich. You can eat that.”

 

He gives her a smile when Yeri talks to him excitedly and pointing her finger to the menu in front of her.

 

“Can I take your order?”

 

“One plain croissant and ice americano for me..one chicken sandwich and fresh orange juice with no sugar and no ice, don’t blended it..just put the juice in a cup..Is that ok?”

 

Jungkook is quite taken aback when Yeri suddenly look at him, asking for his opinion. He’s been watching her since she talked to the cashier and there’s something warm on his heart when she’s act naturally as a wife who’s taking care of him without a fail for the past three years.

 

“Perfect.”

He said it quickly and go back to watching her pay for their food. How much he missed this kind of Yeri is already beyond words, and to finally meet her again. There is nothing but relieved.

 

“You are right, it is cheap. They don’t charge me extra for your complicated order either.”

 

Yeri talks while reading the receipt but stop when she realized Jungkook is fixing his eyes to her, like she’s some kind of attraction in a zoo.

 

“What is it?”

 

She asked him and finally he’s back to his senses, he shakes his head and now his eyes are wandering away from her.

 

“I’ll wait outside.”

 

He left and Yeri is quite baffled with the way he acts. Jungkook is somehow different, she doesn’t feel like picking a fight or hating him this morning. Maybe because he was kind to her last night, helping her sleep and..act like her husband again.

 

She takes her order and bring it out while somewhat nervous about what is going on between her and Jungkook after spending time closely for the past few weeks.

 

“Do you want to eat while walking around?”

 

He ask her when they met outside and Yeri nod her head lightly.

 

“As long as not hiking.”

 

***

 

 

Jungkook is walking next to Yeri without saying a word, they’re busy with their own thoughts and food. She asked for a bite of his chicken sandwich earlier but that’s it. They don’t talk to each other anymore.

Both of them have already done with their breakfast for more than 15 minutes now.

 

“I’m really sorry about last night.”

 

Jungkook is totally surprised when Yeri is the one who talks to him first, about last night.

 

“About bothering my sleep?”

 

“About accusing you ..for doing..you know..”

 

“Listen..”

 

“I won’t blame you if that’s happened, i’ve been treating you like a stranger for the past two years..”

 

“ I don't really have time to think about something like that when I'm dealing with Jooyoung, my mom, and you on a daily basis.”

 

Yeri is letting out a smile when she heard that the prettiest one he saw since forever. 

 

“You cried last night”

 

“I cried a lot because of you before last night.”

 

Yeri is taking a fast walk, leaving him behind when she saw a mini amusement park near the road. It’s still early so only a few people are waiting in line. 

 

“I’ll pay for this too.”

 

The only reason Yeri chose to do this is because spending time in an amusement park, riding a ride and eating food is so much better than spend times with Jungkook in their room talking about heavy and serious things they never talked about for the past few years.

 

“Why?”

 

And Jungkook doesn’t seems open with her idea.

 

“Look, couple discount..40% off. Come on..”

 

“No, let’s talk. I have something to tell you.”

 

“Can we do that later? Can i walk around a little bit? We never talked. It’s weird to suddenly keep doing this.”

 

Yeri knows that trying to open conversation with Jungkook won’t ended well, last night was an example. Besides, there are too many things she hide from him and she doesn’t know what to do about Mrs. Jeon and what she did, about Jungkook who never actually in love with her, it’s just her who forced him to do whatever she wanted because she learned how to do that, about her nightmare last night where she saw Chaerin, about Jooyoung. It’s just too much.

***

 

They spent the rest of the day walking around a market, Yeri bought a few clothes and food for tonight because she is sure that they will need to stay here again. Yein told her, people still wait for her.

 

“It’s almost lunch, do you want to eat something?”

 

Yeri is finally put a pause on her light shopping and give Jungkook attention when he talked to her, the only thing he did before was following her closely, while sometimes helping her walk in a crowded area.

 

“I’ll pay this time.”

 

“Well, I was the one who gave you money when you leave, so it’s actually me paying.”

 

They enter a simple restaurant and Jungkook is doing nothing but laugh when Yeri told him that.

 

“Why won’t you eat?”

 

Jungkook is quite baffled when Yeri only order a cold tea and not any food. 

 

“I never eat lunch.”

 

“Since when?”

 

“Last year. I have problem on my stomach, doctor told me to only eat snacks at a time like this, and eat real food a few hours later.”

 

“I didn’t know.”

 

Yeri can sense a weird tone from his talk, like he is making a mistake. She brings it up not to make him feel like this. It wasn’t her intention.

 

“That’s because I don't want you to know.”

 

“But you know everything about me..”

 

“That is part of my job, I need to learn everything because people actually ask me about you. Remember there was a business magazine interviewing me about my life as your wife last year?”

 

“Is there anything else I need to know?”

 

Their food is finally here and Jungkook is talking to Yeri again while getting ready to eat.

 

“I still want a divorce.”

 

She talks fast, and is aware that reaction from Jungkook won’t be good. She’s trying to not look into his eyes, but his smile is stopping her.

 

“This isn’t funny, i’m serious.”

 

“I know you are. I already said I will do that, right?”

 

“It’s a reminder.”

 

Yeri was going to talk about Mrs. Jeon and Jooyoung who already aware about their plan for a divorce.

 

“I really want you to be happy, Yeri-ssi.”

 

But she scrap the idea when hearing Jungkook said that, genuinely and sincerely. She’s totally loss at words, because..why did he changed so much? Or more precisely why did he back to Jungkook who is warm and kind?

 

“I need to buy something. Let’s meet at the park we passed by earlier..around 7PM..”

 

She left some money on the table and storming away from Jungkook quickly. This is a mess. She could hear Jungkook is calling her name but she ignores it and keep walking.

 




 

at one time..
 

Kim Yeri-ssi, how long you know my son?”

 

Yeri is not sure about the answer of Mrs. Jeon’s question. She’s been here for three days, what she and her people did to her was a background check. They asked about her family, her friends, all her personal connection with people from when she was young until today. Instead of becoming a bride, it feels like she was recruited as a spy or something.

 

“4 years?”

 

“Really?”

 

“I met him for the first time 4 years ago, lost contact..and we met again 6 months ago.”

 

“6 months.”

 

It’s totally makes sense that a mother is being careful about her son's choice of a wife. Especially when the family is this type of family. She knows exactly what kind of thoughts Mrs. Jeon has about her and unfortunately she can not denied her suspicion.

 

“if it’s 6 months, then you still need to learn about lots of things.”

 

“I don’t understand.”

 

“I’ll be helping you, Yeri-ssi.”

 

And that’s how this whole crazy thing begin, Mrs. Jeon taught her everything about Jungkook and his behaviour, about what he likes and dislikes, the way he rebels, the thing he hates the most, his fear, his approach of problems, his point of view on things. Even more than what she learned as his girlfriend..and the worst part of that is..she believed her. She never asked Jungkook about what is the truth. She never confidence to learn about him by herself, she used all the knowledge she received from his mother to control him, until she gets what she wanted. Every single thing she wanted.

 



 

 

Do you have a bigger size?”

 

Yeri already spent hours walking around the street, she’s been looking a coat for Jungkook, the weather is getting cold and his jacket won’t be enough.

 

“For your boyfriend?”

 

“For my husband.”

 

She never bought gift for Jungkook since two years ago. Well, it’s not like Jungkook actually buy her gift either but..still..if it’s not today, she doesn’t know when will she interact with him in a friendly atmosphere again, what their relationship have in the future is nothing but separation. They probably won’t meet each other ever again because she will be avoiding him and vice versa. Jungkook will be spending his time overboard, back to a life where he never met Yeri before. Everything is going back to normal like the past three years of their life is never happened.

***

 

“7.15.” Jungkook is started to get anxious when Yeri is 15 minutes late.

 

Honestly, after Yeri left, he doesn’t feel relaxed at all. The only thing he is doing is wondering where she is. Jieun called her a few times, she told him about his family who is looking for him and Yeri. He didn’t say about Yeri is staying with him, because that would become another reason for him to get worried something bad will happen to her.

 

“I’m here.”

 

He’s still using his phone and trying to reach Yeri when she walks to his direction with a huge shopping bag on her hands. She came to him with a smile and a little run. Pretty, young, and happy.

 

“I’m really sorry.”

 

“20 minutes late”

 

“Yeah, I know.”

 

He gives her a bottle of water he’s holding and Yeri is taking it without hesitation. 

 

“What is that?”

 

She dropped her bag and rummaging it until she takes out a long black coat from it. It’s too big for her.

 

“I bought you this.”

 

And it really takes him by surprise when she put the coat on his shoulder. She looked so happy doing this.

 

“It fits.”

 

“Why are you doing this?”

 

“Because I feel sorry for what i did to you.”

 

“You didn’t do anything wrong.”

 

Yeri lost her smile when she put her hands on his shoulder and caressing it to makes the coat less stiff.

 

“Everything I did wrong, since the beginning until today. Just like what you said, if there is a separation between us, i want it to be clean, without having unfinished business. It was a marriage, Jungkook-ssi.. and it will stay like that forever.”

 

She put the empty shopping bag to a trash can, and start to walk into an empty area on this huge park. Not many people are here because the weather is cold.

 

“You sounds so prepared.”

 

“I’ve been asking you for a divorce for so many times. It’d be weird if i’m not. It’s just.. right now I don't want to part ways in a condition where we are hating each other."

 

"Why?"

 

"I was wrong about what I said to you."

 

Yeri stop from her walk and lift her face to Jungkook slowly. She stares at him for quite a while before giving him a smile.

 

"I loved you. I was totally in love with you. There were times when staying with you is the only thing i ever wanted for my life."

 

It takes her long enough to admit this, but this is a fact, everyone told her that she is the one who keeps ruining their marriage and not the other way around.

They were right, and she thought that happened because she never actually in love with him sincerely,  because marrying Jungkook for her is not just a true love thing. She thought she married him , 70% because of his money.

But now that they came to this situation, when she had a chance to remember all the stuff she had with Jungkook before, it is so obvious that she appreciated him as a person and loved him sincerely. She was that happy.

 

“You said you are a gold digger.”

 

Jungkook is overwhelming but also confused by this behaviour coming from Yeri, she is the one who acts like a jerk back at the hospital. Claiming that all she wanted from him was his money and stuff.

 

“That is also true. I loved you, but getting married with you at such a young age was my decision because I need people like you to be responsible for me and my poor family. I had an agenda.”

 

“I know.”

 

Yeri looked surprised when Jungkook nod his head calmly and give her a smile.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I know what you were doing, that’s why i ask you to marry me, because i need people like you as my wife.”

 

Yeri is blinking her eyes because, this sounds so weird. Jungkook was stupid and naive, how could he knows about this?

 

“Marrying you was one of a strategic move i made to avoid my family.”

 

“I don’t understand..”

 

Yeri is totally lost and now her head is spinning to actually learn that Jungkook is also taking advantages from her since the beginning.

 

“If I find someone else to become their target, would they leave me alone..if they’re busy dealing with you, they will probably cut me some slack. You are a strong woman, my mother likes you, and you need my money..i know you won’t leave even if you are tired of my family because i’m your gold mine..”

 

Jungkook is talking in a tone that was so calm and sweet so Yeri won't feels bad too much, but it seems like she already grasp the situation and she is not happy.

 

"So..you know that i will go through hell dealing with your mother, but turns out that you sell me out to her?"

 

"I..."

 

"You were acting like you care for me, but actually use me to save yourself?"

 

Her expression is becoming really sour,  Jungkook knows, she won't accept any excuses from him about this.

 

"I didn't do it on purpose, i thought i was good, but i'm actually a jerk, i thought that i really care for you, but turns out that it was just...I'm sorry, Yeri-ya."

 

Yeri is speechless, she thought she was bad for using him and his money but turns out that Jungkook is not so different with her. She thought that he was in love with her when he asked her to marry him.

 

"And you asked me why we are having a divorce?"


 

Yeri is completely mad, devastated and sad. There, she has the answer..

She was in love but Jungkook but he never was. If that was the reason for him to marry her, and after they got married it was her who made Jungkook thought that he was in love with her then the feeling was never real for him. It was a total illussion and she was stupid enough to believe that.

 

"I always thought that Jooyoung and you is similar in a way and I was never wrong. Both of you are such a jerk, glad i was still lucky to not end up like Lee Chaerin."

 

Yeri turn her back from him and walking really fast because she knows Jungkook is trying to chase her and calling her name. She is crying.

Her heart is really hurt. With this, she realized that she really loved him, she won't be crying and hurting if she is not.

 

"Kim Yeri! You always act like I have nothing to explain, you never give me a chance!"

 

Jungkook's voice is becoming clearer and she knows that he is close. Glad the hotel is near and she decided to run..really fast, going up the stairs, open the room and close the door right away, 30 seconds later a rush knock was heard from the outside.

 

"Open the door."

 

Jungkook is totally not surprised by how Yeri reacting but still..

 

"Open this door and I promise you I will be gone from your life."

 

It just takes 10 seconds for Yeri to finally open the door. She cried a lot.

 

"I'm opening this because i want you out of my life."

 

"I will, but listen to me first."

 

Yeri doesn't seem happy or maybe ready to hear this out, so he takes her hands slowly, squeezing it until she looks at him again.

 

"I'm really sorry."

 

She pulled her hands from his grip while laugh sarcastically and ready to close the door again but he is quick to stop her. He forced her to get inside so when the door is closed, he is not outside anymore.

 

" get out."

 

"I tried to tell you the truth."

 

"No, you didn't. Till this morning, I thought that you ask me to marry you because you like me."

 

Yeri is aware that her voice is shaking from holding her tears. Why Jungkook is so god damn annoying.

 

"That's partially the reason why I chose you, just like how you accept me as a husband because i'm rich...but that's it. Everything happened after that...was me who actually grateful, you are my wife."

 

She nods her head and open the door for him.

 

"Ok. Now out and be gone."

 

Yeri doesn't know how to react to this whole situation..and she doesn't even know what she wants from Jungkook. She just told him to leave because she is angry..when she also doesn't want to be alone..

 

And thankfully Jungkook is determined to stay, he holds the door when she open it again and he won't move when she pushed him away.

 

"This is why our marriage turns into hell, you always shut me off. You need to talk, everytime you got mad..so i can understand."

 

"Do you really don't understand why i got mad?"

 

"I do, for this matter."

 

Yeri holding her tears is becoming a total failure when she finally gives in and crying in front of Jungkook who's looked somehow relieved to see her cry.

 

"It's true that we benefitted each other from this marriage, but I truly love you as my wife.."

 

She does nothing when he gives her a hug, a tight one while caressing her back and her hair. She hides her face on his shoulder and she knows that, she cried not because of what Jungkook did but because she is aware that Jungkook was wrong. Her as a wife was nothing more than Mrs. Jeon's puppet. He thought he loved her because she is the one who forced him to think like that.

 

It was never real. Even love she thought was genuine when they were dating was fake too. He said it himself that he used her.

 

"I don't want a divorce, not because I can't afford a lawyer but because i still want you as my wife, Yeri-ssi."

Jungkook was being totally careful saying it when he is aware that's probably not the thing Yeri wanted to hear from him after all this mess. She said nothing but trying to free herself from his embrace with a light movement. Her eyes are red and she does nothing but staring at the floor, hands on his arms while shaking her head.

 

Yeri seems unamused with what he is saying, she is still crying but Jungkook doesn't knows why, Yeri doesn't seem mad at him. She was sad because of something else, not because of him.

 

"How can i trust you, when you lied to me since the beginning of our marriage?"

 

She talks really fast while trying hard to sound angry, and she failed. He noticed that she tried to change this conversation into another topic.

 

"What's wrong?"

 

Yeri seems surprised when he asked her that. She's avoiding his eyes and there is no word coming from her.

 

"Tell me what is it?"

 

And with that little push, Yeri start to cry again. He feels like he said something wrong and did something wrong to her when she looked at him, trying to hold her tears.

 

"It's a lie if you told me that you love me" 

 

She talked while holding his arms and grabbing his clothes really tight.

 

"It is not."


"You lied to me, and that is not your fault, i made you do that"

 

He is totally taken aback when Yeri is dropping to the floor while crying and kneeling in front of him while saying sorry. This is a total shock.

 

He knows that both of them already making mistakes and hurting each other so bad, and he actually deserved an apology from Yeri but not this way.

 

He said nothing  but pick her up and carrying her inside without so much thoughts. This is not something he ever expected when they finally have time to talk about their relationship. Yeri is the one who always act like he is the one who made more mistakes on this marriage but what she did right now is a total opposite from that.

 

"I'll go get you a drink."

 

He put her down and making her sit at the edge of the bed while standing in front of her and watching her closely. He went to a small table at the other side of the room and give Yeri a water bottle, he even opened it for her.

 

"You scare me." 

 

That's what he said when Yeri is done with her drink, he is ruffling her hair, caressing her head, so at least she will feel better.

 

She does nothing when he takes a sit next to her and brushing some dirts from her knees and pants.  He wanted to say something but he can not find something. He is in total confusion.

 

Yeri is wiping her tears and fixing her hair before she turned her face to Jungkook who was watching her. He really looked worried and..it makes her feels more wronged.

She brings herself closer to him while caressing his cheeks, he touch her hands to makes her stopped.

 

"Love needs effort and i'm the one who failed to do that."

 

That is true, putting aside the fact that she also used Jungkook and control him in such a hideous way. He is also the one who always fight for this marriage, and if one day he stopped trying from being tired, that is not his fault. It was hers. 

 

Yeri gets up and pack her bag right away, this is not right.  Why would she stay.. if she can not be honest to talk about what Mrs. Jeon did to her making her a minion to destroy Jungkook.

Right now,  To know and realized that she is in love with him is already enough and she is happy the time she spent with Jungkook before was not a lie on her part. It wasn't real for him, but it was for her.