t w e l v e

Chasing Euphoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“My head…”

Bona woke up with a splitting headache. She drank a little too much the night before and it was coming back to bite her on her . She blinked for a while, to gather her senses when she realised she wasn’t at home.

Neither was she at Chan’s place.

“You’re awake? I made you some honey water, it’s on the bedside table.”

A male voice spoke up, making Bona stop moving. She slowly shifted herself so she was propped against the wall, “Joo? What… What--”

“You called me, remember?” He walked out of the toilet and sat down on the bed. “You said you were bored, and you needed a way out. Chan wasn’t answering your calls.”

Bona groaned and fell back into bed. Joohyuk shook his head in amusement. He crawled into bed and saddled the girl, she was trying to push him off her.

“I thought we’re past this,” she muttered under her breath. “We can’t see each other anymore.”

Joohyuk rolled off her and laid down beside the girl.

“Well, you called me.”

“Which is why this is a mistake,” she sat up and swung her feet off the bed. “I have to go.”

He shot forward, grabbing Bona’s wrist.

“Wait, can we talk about this?” He asked. “I--”

“I don’t want to hear it,” she cut him off.

She gathered her stuff but was pulled back onto the bed by Joohyuk.

“You know how I feel towards you,” he whispered, hugging the girl. “You know my feelings--”

“And I don’t care.”

Joohyuk froze.

“What?”

“You know I’m attached. You know I love Chan--”

“You’re telling me that this,” he gestured between themselves. “Means nothing to you?”

“It’s not nothing,” she sighed. “But--”

Pushing herself from him, she got dressed and stopped at the door. He was staring at his hands, not knowing what to say. Bona let out a breath.

“I’m sorry, Joo.”

And she left.

 

Bona tried calling Chan after leaving Joohyuk's place, but there was no answer at all.

“How dare he not pick up my calls," she muttered under her breath.

Staring at her phone in frustration, she tried again and again at calling Chan. She hurried down the street, before anyone could catch her leaving Joohyuk’s apartment block. Irritation was growing every second she did not get through to Chan.

He had not answered any of her calls since the evening before. It wasn’t like him to be like this. Even when she had given him a missed call, he could call back the moment he saw it.

She tried calling again, this time the call went through.

 

**

 

Chan and Maya were sleeping in, they had gone for a short calming walk near the river the night before.

 

The wind was calming and it soothed both their minds. They settled down on a bench facing the waters when Chan patted his pockets.

“What’s wrong?” Maya looked at him.

“My phone. I must have left it at home.”

He shrugged.

“It’s a good thing, we won’t be disturbed.”

Both of them sat in a comfortable silence and it wasn’t long before Maya let out a sneeze. Chan glanced at her, seeing how cold she was, he took off his jacket and draped it over her shoulders. She held it, wanting to return it when he shook his head.

“But it’s cold.”

“I can handle it,” he adjusted the jacket on her. “Whereas you look like you were going to freeze.”

She chuckled, slipping her arms into the sleeves and zipping the jacket up.

“Thank you.”

“Anything for the wife,” he winked.

They stayed for a while more, basking in the comfort of the environment and of each other’s presence.

“I think we should head back,” she whispered. “It’s almost 11pm.”

“Sure.”

 

Maya shifted herself backwards, into Chan’s body. His arm was draped over the curve of her waist and his palm rubbed her stomach when she moved.

It’s interesting how these subtle intimate actions were all done in their sleep. It was as though their bodies recognised each other.

 

Ring

 

Chan’s phone was ringing off the hook. Maya groaned, she turned over. She was facing Chan’s bare chest - he had a habit of sleeping without his shirt. He pulled her in, her head safely tucked under his chin.

The phone rang again, she let out a grunt and buried herself deeper into his embrace. Chan smiled, already on the verge of waking up.

 

Ring

 

Maya opened her eyes slightly and shoved Chan. He woke up instantaneously, feeling the warmth leave him as she scooted away from him.

“Answer the call,” she mumbled.

He sighed, kicking his legs off the bed as he sat up to answer his phone.

“Hello?”

“Finally you pick up my calls. What’s going on with you? Why aren’t you returning any of the calls I made? Were you busy?”

“Bo, wait. Wait.”

He rubbed his face, sleepiness was still evident.

“I called you last night, you didn’t answer. I sent you a text, you didn’t reply. This morning, I called you eight times before you picked up. Wha’s--”

“Bo, I was sleeping. I had a tiring day at work, you know me. How could I ever ghost you?”

 

At the second mention of Bona’s name, Maya opened her eyes and sat up. She gave him a glance while yawning and pointed to the room next door. She was signalling him that she would continue her sleep in her own room.

He shook his head but she was already almost to the door.

Chan had left his pants on the floor, Maya did not notice it. She stepped on the fabric and tripped when she shuffled her feet into the pant hole. She let out a yelp, falling to the ground.

“Oh ,” Chan exclaimed.

He laughed, leaping over the bed and landing in front of Maya. She was pouting, rubbing her bruising kneecaps.

“You are such a klutz.” He whispered as he rubbed her knees.

“Shh--”

Maya pointed at the phone, Chan realised he was still on a call with Bona.

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter