t w e n t y f o u r

Chasing Euphoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You know that feeling?

Where you obviously weren't doing something wrong but the feeling of getting caught just felt scandalous?

Like you were at fault for hiding?

That feeling was what hit Maya when she opened the door.

 

"Maya?"

"Oh-- Uh... Hey, Kaeun," Maya let out an awkward chuckle. "Are those the files Minho handed over to you?"

Kaeun was surprised at how she was staring at Maya - in Chan's home - dressed so casually and asking her for something only Minho, Kaeun and Chan would know?

She should have seen this coming.

"Yes-- Minho was caught up in a meeting--"

"Babe? Is everything alright?"

Maya closed her eyes, pressing her lips together when Chan called her. She had a small smile on her face as she peeked behind the wall towards Chan. Her eyes widened when she saw him walking towards her.

Dressed in a pair of sweatpants and no top.

"Woah!" She whispered sharply at him. "Go put a shirt on!"

Chan reached for her waist, pulling her towards him, "It's just Minho, why-- Oh."

He paused when he saw Kaeun staring at him. He straightened his back, pushing Maya behind himself. He eyed the folder and held his hand out.

"Thanks."

Kaeun cleared , tearing her eyes away from his chiseled torso. Maya wanted to leave the area but Chan stopped her, they were communicating with their eyes when Kaeun couldn't stop her curiosity anymore and piped up.

 

“Why is she-- What-- What’s the relationship between you two?”

Chan held Maya's hand, assuring her that as long as he was there, he would take care of things.

“She’s--”

Maya’s little tug on his arm stopped him from revealing their relationship. Chan nodded lightly, understanding what she was trying to tell him. He turned and stared pointedly at Kaeun.

“We don’t have to explain things to you, and it isn’t your business to probe.” He stated firmly. “Besides, why are you here? Where’s Minho?”

Kaeun handed the file over to Chan, she glanced at Maya who was walking to the kitchen. She turned her attention back to her boss and felt her eyes wander down his chest and abs. He noticed her staring and folded his arms, breaking her stare.

“Uh,” she cleared , willing herself to not look at his body. “Minho got tied up at work and I volunteered to bring you the file.”

He took the documents from her.

“Alright, now that your job is done, you should leave.”

Kaeun opened to say something but Chan had his hand on the door. He motioned for her to step out, she had no choice but to comply. She casted Maya another look before leaving the compound. She heard the door shut behind her, and the gates automatically opened.

"What just happened?"

 

***

 

Maya sat down on the stool next to the shoe rack, her hand on her chest, soothing her racing heart while Chan headed over to the sofa, wordlessly.

She calmed down and searched for Chan, only to notice he was upset. She sighed, knowing exactly why and what he was upset about. She shuffled her feet over and plopped down next to him. She held his hand, lacing her fingers with his.

"I know," she said softly.

He didn't look at her but she felt his thumb swiping over the back of her hand.

"What do you know?"

She laid her head on his shoulder, "I know you want to tell the world about our relationship--"

Chan sat up and turned to her, his hand not leaving hers.

"Then, why did you stop me from telling Kaeun earlier? What if she misunderstands and thinks you are--"

Maya's heart swelled at the thought that he wanted to protect her. She leaned forward and pecked his cheek. He fell silent, his eyes landing on their hands.

“I know you want to tell the world about us being married, but it’s really not the time.” She whispered, her thumb rubbing against his hand.

“Why not? It’s the truth that we are husband and wife.”

He lifted their clasped hands and kissed the back of hers. She smiled, turning her head slightly.

“You just broke up with Bona, we got married without knowing each other well and…” She stopped talking.

He sat up, “Hmm?”

“We haven’t even gone to that stage yet.”

He smiled in amusement.

“What stage?”

She buried herself deeper into his shoulder, blushing hard, “That.”

Chan thought for a second and chuckled, “We did it, remember. Back in Vegas, as Mr and Mrs Bang? We did it here in Seoul too.”

Maya froze for a second, his words registering in her head before slapping his thigh, “I don’t mean that!”

He laughed, this time out loud and in amusement. He tilted her chin so that he could look directly into her eyes. “I know what you mean,” he said with a low voice, his eyes darting to her lips.

He shifted himself and gently held her in his arms. She watched him as he leaned closer.

“What…” she trailed off.

“You’re waiting for those three words, aren’t you?” He his lips, his eyes pinned on her lips.

He inched closer to her and just as his lips brushed against hers, he paused.

“I love you,” he whispered before pressing his lips fully on hers.

 

“I love you.”

Maya's eyes widened when the weight of the three words weighed on her. Her heart was leaping with so much emotion, she could hear her heartbeat in her ears. Chan supported the back of her head with his hand as he pressed his lips on hers.

She slowly laid down on the sofa, swinging her arms around his neck to pull him down with her. He was in a slightly awkward position but he didn't care.

All he could see and feel was the woman in front of him.

They were getting breathless from the kisses, so Chan broke the kiss before it  could turn into something more steamy. Maya's eyes batted as he pulled her back up.

He leaned in for another kiss but she stopped him with a finger to his lips.

"So, can I--"

"You can kiss me again," she started. "But nope  you cannot reveal our relationship."

"But why?" Chan whined. "What if Kaeun spreads this and the story gets twisted?"

Maya cupped his cheek and caressed his face with her thumbs.

"I don't care, really." Her finger went up to trace his eyebrow as he watched her lovingly. "We don't owe it to them to explain what we are, besides, why do they even need to know? It's none of their business."

He pushed her head back with a finger to her forehead.

"Sometimes, I don't even know if I should describe you as open-minded or just--"

"Stupid."

She chuckled, "Which is why I fell right into your trap."

"Hey~" he sang, a huge smile plastered on his face. He pulled her in by her waist, "If you're stupid, then I'm dumb. It's like we're meant for each other."

She laughed, "Right."

"I love you," he blurted again.

"Say it again."

Maya cupped her hand around her ear.

"I," Chan stared straight into her eyes. "Love you."

"I love you too."

 

***

 

Maya was finally out of the house and on the way to work - Chan made sure that she was really comfortable with leaving the house before he actually let her go. He was already at work, attending to several meetings.

The moment she stepped into the office, the rustling and sound of people talking immediately quietened down. She could feel the tension in the air, but refused to acknowledge it. She greeted everyone, as per usual and went to her desk.

She could feel people pointing and talking about her. Wanting to go calm herself down, she went to the washroom and locked herself in a cubicle. 

Maya was taking quiet deep breaths when she heard footsteps enter the washroom.

 

"Can you believe it? The rumours?"

"Right? I don't believe Mr Bang's actually into women like Maya."

"I have to admit that she's pretty and hardworking, but as the wife of Mr Bang? I don't see it."

"I knew it was kind of fishy that Maya was always called into Mr Bang's office. She would stay there for the whole of lunch sometimes, Minho wouldn't even let us in."

"We should have seen it coming though."

 

Maya stilled, the conversation drilling into her head.

"Kaeun," she thought to herself.

It had to be her.

No one else would ever link the both Maya and Chan together romantically. Not unless someone decided to spread something to fuel the budding thoughts of those who were already suspicious.

Maya waited till the two ladies left the washroom before coming out. She washed her hands and sprinkled some of the cold water onto her face. Staring at her reflection, she willed herself to ignore whatever comments she had heard or would be hearing.

"You don't owe it to them to explain anything." She told herself. "You are not obliged to do that."

She stepped out and bumped into Mrs Jin.

 

The older woman who took every single chance she could to insult or humiliate or belittle Maya, actually bowed in apology when Maya bumped into her.

"Are you okay, Maya?" She asked.

"Oh-- Oh, yes, I'm alright. I'm sorry, I didn't see you coming."

"No, no, don't apologise. I didn't see you, it's my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter