t h i r t e e n

Chasing Euphoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Bona left the office after lunch, she was called to another schedule and Chan had another meeting to go to. She made sure to walk past Maya’s office and gave the girl a glare when their gazes connected.

Maya felt chills down her spine at the intensity of Bona’s glare.

“What’s her problem?” Lucas piped up from nowhere.

She jumped but when she turned back to Bona, she was already gone. She faced Lucas and shrugged her shoulders.

“I honestly have no idea,” she huffed. “It’s like she hates me for living.”

“Or maybe she’s jealous about Chan giving you attention,” he pressed his lips together. “Have you actually seen how much Mr Bang looks at you?”

“No, he doesn’t look at me.”

He scoffed and chuckled, “You wanna bet? He’s looking at you so constantly that you would think he has a crush on you.”

Maya choked on her saliva.

“W-What?”

“It’s a term of speech,” he rolled his eyes. “But, I wouldn’t rule out that possibility.”

"She's already staring and hitting you when Mr Bang pays you attention. I hate to think what she would do if she finds out you guys got married."

Maya sighed, "To be honest, I hate coming between them. I know how it's like to be cheated on but I'm doing the exact same thing now."

Lucas patted her shoulder.

"Would you rather break things off with him?"

Her heart skipped a beat at the thought of not being with Chan anymore. Lucas shook his head.

"It's so obvious you have feelings for the man."

"You think so?" She bit her lip. "But… I can't."

"Why not? You got married to him. Just carry on with the marriage."

"It's not that simple, Lu."

Lucas gave Maya a small hug, "Look, you like the guy. He likes you too. If things don't work out in the end, you have my shoulder to lean on."

She smiled.

"What did I ever do to deserve you? We met just a couple of days before the internship and you're practically a brother now."

He ruffled her hair.

"What can I say? You're a special one."

 

**

 

Later that evening, Maya was working alone in the office. Chan was getting ready to leave when his phone pinged. It was a text from his mother, asking him to bring Maya home for dinner.

He stepped out of his office and saw his wife at her desk.

"What are you doing here so late?" He glanced at his watch. "You should be off work 2 hours ago."

She looked up for a second and turned back to her work.

"Mrs Jin needs this document by morning. I'm almost done. You can head home first."

He reached out and closed the laptop she was using.

"No can do. Wife, let's go."

She shook her head.

"I-"

"Mom wants us over for dinner." He shrugged. "Let's go."

He grabbed her hand and her stuff, pulling her to the door.

"But what about Mrs Jin's papers?"

"I'll get them done for you."

She gave in with a smile, "Alright. But let's first go somewhere."

 

15 minutes later, they arrived outside the mall. He glanced over to her with a confused look.

"What are we doing here?"

She got out of the car, he followed suit.

"Well, it's a trip to the in-laws. I need to get a gift."

Chan laughed, "You are so cute, you don't have to do that."

"I want to."

Maya turned the corner and went into a clothing boutique. Chan followed behind her as she looked around.

"What about this?" She grabbed a burgundy cashmere scarf and wrapped it around her neck.

He rubbed his chin and held his hands out like a camera.

"My wife looks stunning."

She laughed, "I'm getting it for Mom."

Chan's heart fluttered when he heard her address his mother as her own. She went to the nearest staff to request a new one. Chan watched her, his insides melting every time he saw her smile.

"Is that your wife? You guys look amazing together."

He turned around and a young female staff was smiling at him. He nodded back in acknowledgement.

"She is amazing," he agreed. "Thank you."

Maya came bouncing back with a dress shirt.

"What about this for Dad?"

"I trust your taste, wife."

She frowned, "Really?"

She held the shirt up to his chest, to picture if his father would fit the shirt. He nodded, stepping towards her and rested his hands on her hips as she pondered over the clothing.

"I'll get this then," she pointed to the maroon one.

She patted his hands and he let go.

 

**

 

After getting the gifts, Chan drove them to his parents' place. Maya dusted her dress and straightened her back. They walked up to the property and the housekeeper opened the doors.

"Hey Aunty," Chan greeted.

"Welcome back, and with the wife too."

Maya bowed in greeting and stepped into the house.

Chan's parents were at the dining table, getting ready to eat. He had a hand on her lower back, he gently nudged her forward.

"Hey Mom, Dad." He greeted them.

"Maya!" His mother exclaimed and strolled over to her daughter-in-law, giving her a hug while ignoring Chan. "I missed you."

Chan rolled his eyes, "And to think I am her son."

His mother mimicked his eye-rolling.

"I've seen you for 24 years, I rather look at Maya more."

He pouted, turning to his father, who was walking over.

"Dad, Mom's bullying me again."

That earned him a smack to his back.

"Fancy a grown man getting jealous over his wife getting attention. You should be happy we are treating your wife like this."

Chan threw his arms up in defeat. "Alright, okay. Outcast the son. Favour the daughter-in-law."

Maya chuckled, shaking her arms around Chan's waist. He lowered his arms and gave her a loose hug.

"Stop being so dramatic."

His parents shook their heads, "Let's eat, shall we?"

"Oh wait," Maya piped up. "I brought gifts."

"Oh, dear. You shouldn't have." Chan's mother gasped.

"Here's a scarf for you, the weather's getting cold." She pulled out the shirt. "And this is for Dad, I hope you like the col

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter