t w e n t y s i x

Chasing Euphoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Maya returned to the office and was slightly late to her desk. Mrs Jin gave her a look of disdain but didn't say anything much. She had just settled down when she felt a presence in front her.

"Hey."

She rolled her eyes and went back to her computer screen, "What is it, Kaeun?"

A small breathy chuckle came from Kaeun.

"No need for hostility," Kaeun said in a sing-song voice. "I'm just here to check on you."

Maya gave her a quick smile, "There's nothing I do that needs your 'checking' up on."

Kaeun shook her head.

"I know why you're being pissy," she leaned down closer. "If this is about me being close to Mr Bang, then there's nothing you need to be worried about. I'll take very good care of him, now that I'm his secretary."

"For the week," Maya stood up, making Kaeun lean back. "Minho's only gone for the week, don't get too cocky."

"Who knows, I might join him when he comes back. Or maybe even replace him as Mr Bang's secretary."

"Whatever, okay? Leave me alone."

"Oh, I will," Kaeun chuckled. "When I get him off your hands."

"Why you--"

Maya clenched her fists, not wanting to make a scene. Kaeun laughed at her poor attempt to control her anger.

"I don't care if you were at his place, all decked out in his clothes. He'll know I'm a much better catch than you, then he'll dump your sorry . Why? You're just a weak needy lady. Chan's better off with me."

"Okay," Maya held her hand up. "Point taken. Can you get out of my face now?"

Kaeun shrugged her shoulders and pranced off to her desk.  Maya could hear her hum a small song on the way there. Sighing, she went to the pantry to make herself a cup of coffee to relax.

"Ugh," she let out a groan while waiting for the coffee machine to work its magic.

Marco's reappearance in her life was already giving her a headache, now that she found out about her marriage license deadline was giving her a migraine.

And, now?

Kaeun's getting too close to Chan for her comfort.

"I should trust in Chan. I should," she told herself before letting out a strangled breath. "I need to. I have to."

She returned to her desk, peeking at Chan's office sneakily as she passed. Kaeun wasn't sitting at her desk, neither was there light under his office doors. She put her mug down and went to the door, wanting to knock and enter when Minho popped up behind her.

"Looking for Mr Bang?"

"Y-Yeah," she turned around, curling her hair behind her ear. "You know where he is?"

"He went out with Kaeun earlier. Meeting with a client."

"He left?" She repeated. "With Kaeun."

"Yes, Miss Lee. Is there anything I can help you tell him?"

"No, everything's fine," she reached for her phone and brushed past him. "I've got it covered."

 

*

 

Chan was going through details with Kaeun when his phone rang. His eyes lit up, quickly excusing himself to pick up the call.

"Babe! You finally called me back!"

"Where are you?"

Chan frowned at the cold tone of her voice.

"I'm out for a meeting, why?"

"Kaeun's with you?"

"Yeah...yeah, she's taking over some of Minho's duties now." He paused. "Is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine. I just called to hear your voice. Bye."

Before Chan could say anything else, the call ended. He scratched his head, staring at the screen. A small smile tugged on his lips as he walked back to Kaeun.

Well, a call from her would mean she's not mad anymore, right?

 

Kaeun was marking out important stuff on the documents, they were just minutes away from the client's arrival when Chan's phone rang again. Chan got up and answered the call.

"Babe?"

"What are you doing right now?"

"I'm still at the meeting, waiting for the client to arrive. What's the matter?"

"Is Kaeun going to meet the client with you too?"

"Yes, baby." His brows furrowed. "What's--"

"I want you to stay away from her. You hear me?"

"I do, but baby. It's work. I need to separate work and personal life."

"I don't care. Just do it."

Kaeun popped up behind him, "Sir. The client's here."

Chan nodded at the information and cupped his hand around the phone, not wanting Kaeun to hear him.

"I have to go. Client's here. Call you when I'm done."

 

Maya was about to protest when he hung up on her. The image of Kaeun being around him was pissing her off. She could feel her anger and jealousy rising through the roof. She wouldn't have minded so much before, since she believed that Kaeun was nice before.

Now..?

Not so much.

Especially after what Kaeun said to her before.

She couldn't help but doubt Kaeun's actions and Chan's behaviour. Having them together was not a good combination for her.

"God," she pulled at her hair. "I hate this. I hate this!"

It was like she was being possessive.

Obsessive, even.

There was familiarity in her behaviour, she had seen this happen before. She just couldn't put her finger on where.

 

*

 

"I believe your hotel is the best place for my wedding," the client said. "My family will definitely be grateful for your help, I will propose to the company to hand our next year's worth of events to you."

Chan nodded, smiling.

"We will love to help you in anyway we can. Mr Prime Minister will not be disappointed."

He felt his phone vibrating against his chest and his hand flew to his coat pocket. Pulling the device out, he saw that it was Maya calling him - again. He had a tense look on his face.

Why is Maya calling him every half an hour?

Kaeun noticed how Chan had gone quiet and tapped his hand. He looked up, seeing how his employee and client were giving him concerned looks.

"Is everything alright, Mr Bang?"

"Y...Yeah," he plastered a smile on his face. "But I have to take this call. Excuse me."

The client nodded his head and went back to flipping through the contents of the contract. Kaeun gave Chan a little smile, urging him to go answer the call.

 

"Why are you picking up my calls?"

Chan could hear the irritation in her voice and that angered him, "Excuse me?"

"I called you. 5 times. Why didn't you pick up?"

"I'm at a meeting. I told you that 2 hours ago." He came off as snappish. "Why are you calling me so frequently?"

"I just want to know if you're still with her."

"Who? Kaeun?"

"Who else is there with you?"

"Maya. I told you twice, she's taking over Minho's duties. I'm just letting her get a little glimpse of how her workload would be like."

"Minho's gonna be gone for a week, Chan. Not a year. Does she need to stick to you 24/7?"

"Now, you're just being unr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter