t w e n t y o n e

Chasing Euphoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What do you want to do, since it's the weekend tomorrow?"

Chan asked as he pulled up towards their house. His phone started ringing while he was parking, he nodded at Maya to answer it for him but she put the call on speaker.

"Yo!"

Maya saw how a smile appeared quickly on his face.

"Yo, Felix! Are you in Seoul yet?"

"Nope, my flight's in an hour! I'll see you tomorrow?"

Chan stopped the car and clicked a button on his car keys, the gate slowly closing behind them. After he took the phone from Maya, she turned to grab her stuff. She was about to open the car door when she noticed movements just outside their gate.

Her breath hitched when the man darted away from sight.

Chan heard the change of her breathing and stopped talking on the phone, glancing over at her in concern. He saw her fixated at something outside and tried to look for what surprised her.

"See you tomorrow then," Chan quickly said and hung up the phone.

He tapped Maya's thigh, making her jump. She threw another look over her shoulder before curling her hair behind her ear.

"Woah, sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," he rubbed her arm. "What happened? Are you okay?"

"Oh-- Um. Yeah, I'm okay."

She cleared , "Let's head in?"

He just nodded slowly and got out of the car, jogging lightly to where she was. He waited for her to alight, all the while shooting glances outside of their gate. 

"Babe," Chan started, sliding his hand down to hold hers. "Are you sure you're alright? What spooked you?"

Maya took a deep breath, "I saw someone standing outside."

Chan pulled her closer to him, holding her protectively as he looked outside again.

"Did you see who it was?"

"I-- I'm not sure," she whispered. "Can-- Can we just go inside?"

Chan nodded, quickly ushering Maya into the house. He double-checked that the gates were locked and the security system was up before shutting the door behind them. Maya sat down on the small stool next to their shoerack as she gathered her breaths.

"Babe," Chan squatted in front of his wife. "You saw who it was, didn't you?"

She paused, staying silent. He held her hands, realising how cold they were.

"I'm always here to protect you, you have to tell me if you saw someone dangerous."

"Marco."

Chan thought he heard her wrongly, "What?"

"I think I saw Marco."

"But why-- how did he know where you are?"

Maya buried her face in her hands, "I don't know. I might have seen wrongly, but..."

She grabbed his forearms, fear in her eyes.

"What if it was really him?"

Chan quickly pulled her into his arms, cradling her as she cried into his shoulder. His hands rubbed gentle circles on her back.

"Shh, shh," he whispered. "I'm here."

 

Maya fell asleep against Chan, he scooped her up and carried her back into the room. He tucked her in, she curled up into a fetal position. Chan felt his heart constrict when the image of her being so fearful entered his mind.

A small whimper escaped her lips.

"Why would anyone do what Marco did to you?"

He ran his fingers through her hair. That seemed to be calming her down. He pulled himself away, careful not to wake her as he went to get changed.

Chan couldn't stop thinking about Marco, he never knew how the man looked like. He could just walk into Chan's office and he wouldn't even recognise him. He pulled out his phone and sent Minho a text.

 

To: Minho

I need some information on a guy named Marco. I have no other information on him except that he had been to Las Vegas a few weeks back. He might have cases filed against him, but this, I'm not sure. Let me know if you find anything.

 

He came back out in his pyjamas and climbed into bed next to Maya. He draped his arm over her waist. Upon contact, she shifted herself backwards, until her back found his torso.

His kissed the top of her head.

"You're killing me, princess. You know that?"

 

***

 

Maya woke up with a start the next morning, her eyes darted around nervously, until she realised she was at home. She felt even breaths on the back of her neck, she moved slowly until she was staring at his face.

Damn, was he good looking.

She noticed he had a mole in his right eyebrow, she wriggled her arm out and traced his eyebrow with her fingers. He moved a little, to pull Maya closer to himself.

"A picture would last longer."

His teasing voice sounded, her fringe moving at his breath. She smiled, pressing her forehead to his chin.

"Good morning," she whispered.

"Morning. How did you sleep?"

She moved away and sat up, reaching for her hairtie to put her hair in a bun.

"Well enough," she shrugged. "I'll go freshen up."

She hopped off the bed and was heading towards the toilet when the doorbell rang. She looked at Chan as he sat up quickly.

"What--"

"Who could it be? It's 8.30."

Maya grabbed a robe and threw it on, "I'll go see who's at the door."

"Babe," Chan held the strings of her robe. "Are you sure?"

She nodded, "I doubt he has the guts to come to our doorstep in the day."

He let her go reluctantly, he went to the toilet to relieve himself as she went to the screen to see who it was. Her head tilted to the side when she didn't recognise the face rining the bell. She reached to open the door.

"Hi," the guy greeted, she noticed how deep his voice was. He was staring at her in confusion. "This is Bang Chan's residence, yes?"

Maya nodded, throwing a look around the corner. Chan's footsteps were coming towards her.

"You are?" She asked.

"I'm--"

"Babe! Who's at the door?"

Maya stepped back, allowing Chan to appear. When the two men locked eyes, Chan yelled.

"FELIX?"

Felix dropped his bags and gave Chan a bear hug. Maya saw that they were close and excused herself to go freshen up.

Chan brought Felix's bags in as his best friend whispered, "Who's the lady?"

"You wanna guess?"

"Well, I know you're dating Ra Bona, so she must be a cousin?" Felix wondered aloud. "But I don't remember you having such a pretty looking cousin."

Chan clucked his tongue, "Well, I have tons to update you on."

Felix rolled his eyes and was reaching to take something from his bag when he noticed the wedding band on Chan's finger.

"Wait," he lifted Chan's hand. "What is this?"

Chan retracted his hand and called for Maya. She came down, now dressed in a tee-shirt and shorts. He smiled, extended his arm and held her waist.

"Maya, babe," he started, glancing over at Felix. "This is Felix Lee, we go way back."

He faced Felix and beamed, "And this is Maya Lee, my wife."

 

***

 

Felix collapsed on the sofa after Chan gave him a brief story overview of what had happened for the past few months of his life. Chan sat down next to him, preparing himself for the questions. The younger male sat up, his hair messed up because he had been clawing at them. Chan couldn't help but laugh at how his besti friend was acting.

Felix punched Chan in his arm.

"Yo!" Chan howled in pain. "What gives?!"

"You got married and didn't tell me?!" He continued to hit Chan. "Some kind of friend you are."

Maya figured she should let the two friends catch up, she went back to the study room to get some work done. Yeah, it's Saturday and she's working. Felix glanced over his shoulder, to see if Maya was already in the room before leaning close to Chan.

"Did you-- Is she..."

"What?"

"Did you get her pregnant?" He whisper-shouted. "Shotgun marriage?"

Chan smiled at what Felix was assuming and quickly decided to put on a show. He sighed, shoulders dropping and shaking his head dramatically.

"Something like that."

"She's pregnant? I'm gonna be an uncle?" Felix clutched his heart. "Bro, my heart can't take so much. First, you broke up with supermodel Ra Bona because she cheated on you, then you married a stranger in Vegas just to get some perks at the bar. She turns out to be the new intern and now you have a kid coming?!"

Felix took a deep breath, "How are you still alive at the drama in your life?"

"I just take things as they come, Lix." He chuckled. "And I'm just kidding, she's not pregnant."

He collapsed again on the sofa, gripping onto his shirt. He then straightened his back again, looking at Chan with so much seriousness in his eyes that Chan had to be serious too.

"What's wrong?"

Felix cleared his throat.

"Well, you told me that you both got married out of being drunk and impulsive, but that was how long ago?"

"Two," Chan thought. "Coming to three."

"Three months into the faux marriage and you don't look like you're hating it," Felix commented. "It's not like you to stay in something like this for so long."

"The truth is, I actually don't hate being married." Chan let out a smile. "The past one month has been pretty good."

"One month?"

"Oh, we separated way in Vegas and met two months later."

"Wow," Felix bit his bottom lip. "That's something."

Chan let out an amused b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter