f o u r

Chasing Euphoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two months later

 

Maya straightened her skirt as she stood outside the huge hotel. It was her first day of internship. She had scored herself a spot from her school, to understand more about hotel management.

"You can do this." She whispered to herself. "There's nothing you can't do."

She took her necklace out of the collar of her short, it was the ring. She figured it gave her luck, so she wore it around her neck. Take a deep breath, she walked into the building.

"Hi," she smiled to the lady at the counter. "I am Maya Lee, I am the new intern. May I know how do I get to the office?”

The lady had this smile on her face that came across to Maya as part genuine, part fake. The standard ‘I’m here to work’ smile.

“Go up the stairs, take the lift to the second floor and flash your identification to the guard in charge. Take the lift on the right to level 35.”

“Thank you,” she went over to the lift lobby.

Many employees were waiting for the lift, she was shoved to the back of the machine while people piled in. Maya was squashed at the back, barely having enough space to breathe. It was until they reached level 30, that most people left the lift.

A couple of people were left when she got to level 35.

Maya exited, turning left to the office she needed to work at and was immediately ushered into a conference room, where two other interns were waiting. A staff member came in a while after her to take their attendance.

“Hello, I’m Jaz,” she introduced herself. “I am your in-charge during your internship period. You only have to report to me, but if any of the higher-ups want you to get work done, remember to consult me before taking on the job. You have your projects to finish during your internship period.”

Maya nodded, taking notes down while Jaz rambled on.

“I’ll be bringing you to your respective departments, so follow me.”

The interns got up, waddling behind Jaz. She was putting her notes into her bag when she dropped her pen. Her fellow intern picked it up, returning it to her.

“Here,” he grinned. “I’m Lucas, interning at the advertising department.”

“I’m Maya, interning in the finance department.”

“Nice to meet you,” he held his hand out.

She took it but he brought her hand to his lips and kissed it lightly. She blushed and pulled her hand back. He gave her a blinding smile, motioning for her to walk before him.

“Chivalry isn’t dead, you know,” he whispered playfully, making her laugh. 

The four of them were on their way towards the first department when someone ran to Jaz and whispered something to her. She stopped walking and made the interns stand to the side.

“What’s going on?” Maya whispered to Lucas.

“I think some VIP is coming.”

As if on cue, a group of people entered the office. Jaz bowed in respect, making the interns panic and they followed suit.

 

Bang Chan entered the finance department to head to the conference room for a quick meeting with the finance manager. He was talking to Minho as he passed the employees. He didn’t pay much attention until he left the office.

 

Jaz motioned to the interns to hurry on with the programme. Maya scurried after the in-charge, with Lucas going behind her. She tripped but Lucas managed to catch her before she fell.

“Thanks,” she chuckled. “I almost face-palmed the floor on our first day of internship.”

He let go of her hand and shook his head in amusement.

“I won’t let that happen to you.”

 

Bang Chan halted in his steps. He spun around but there was no one to be found behind his group of people.

“Sir?” Minho prompted. “Is everything alright?”

He his lips, “I thought I heard someone I know.”

Shaking that thought off, Chan turned to his entourage, “Let’s continue.”

 

**

 

Maya had a desk of her own, there was already a stack of files on her table. She took in a deep breath and sat down, powering the laptop. There was a list of tasks for her to accomplish on top of the files, but thankfully, she knew to start the work. She just had to ask around for the relevant information for the documents.

Jaz came by just before lunch, to tell Maya that she had to complete a project’s finance report in 2 hours. All the information was given, she just had to type up the report.

Lucas tapped her desk, she looked up and smiled when she noticed it was him.

“Hey, ready for lunch? Eunwoo’s waiting.”

She sighed with a small pout, “I can’t. Got work to do.”

He noticed the papers scattered all over her tabletop. He gasped dramatically.

“On your first day?”

“Uh-huh,” she bit her bottom lip. “I’ll join you guys tomorrow.”

“Do you want us to buy anything back for you?”

“Some ddeokbukki would be nice, thanks.”

Lucas saluted her and walked out of the office to join his other intern friend, who was waiting at the lift. Jaz came back to Maya’s table shortly after he left.

“I’m sorry, but could you follow me to the conference room to get some files?”

Maya nodded, getting to her feet.

 

Bang Chan was neck-deep in documents, there were so many things to settle before the tenth million guest arrived. The countdown was set at another week, he had so many things to approve before the events could go through. Even though prepared, but some issues turned up last minute.

He got up from his desk, wanting to stretch it out a little before continuing. He went to the water dispenser to get a cup of water. He had just started refilling his mug when he looked up. Through the gaps of his drawn curtains, he saw Maya.

“W-What?”

He rushed to the door and pulled it open, only to find no one outside his office. He closed the door, rubbing his eyes.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter