n i n e t e e n

Chasing Euphoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chan found Maya in the kitchen the next morning, making breakfast. He smiled, running his fingers through his hair. He shuffled his feet over to her and hugged her from behind, his hands gently caressing her tummy as he pressed his chest to her back.

"What," she chuckled, "exactly are you doing?"

He kissed her shoulder, trailing up to her neck and behind her ear. She felt shivers run down her spine when his lips touched the area near her ear. She could feel his breathy smirk on her skin.

"What are you--"

"Can't I kiss my wife?" Chan whispered and straightened his back. His arms wrapped loosely around her neck instead. "I can do that, right?"

She side-eyed him, nodding.

"I'm making pancakes, do you want chocolate in yours?"

He closed his eyes and nuzzled his cheek against her head, "Hmm, sounds good."

"Right," she switched the fire off and patted his hands. "I'm almost done. Wait outside."

He groaned, "No, I wanna stay here."

"Nope," she turned around.

He reached for her hands and positioned them on his waist. She rubbed his sides, her eyes not leaving his. She pushed his hips back lightly.

"Wait outside. Or get dressed, it's almost time for work."

Chan took a few steps back to admire his wife, who was staring at him with purpose, her on hand on her hips. He shrugged.

"Seeing you like this, is making me have second thoughts about work today," he confessed. "How about I call in a day off? For the both of us."

She stepped towards him, poking her index finger on his chest. He held it and kissed her fingers before tugging her close to him, till their chests were touching. Her eyes widened just a little from the surprise. A lazy smile then took over her lips.

"Sure, why not?"

It was Chan's turn to be surprised, "Really?"

She drew light circles on his chest, prompting him to pull her closer to him.

"Yeah," she said softly. "I kind of want a break."

"Kind of want?"

"Mrs Kim sent me a text this morning, I have tons of reports waiting for me in the office," she sighed, leaning forward to rest her forehead on him. "So, I need to take a break before I start my mission to complete all the work."

"Oh baby," he cooed.

Chan took Maya's spatula from her hand and left it on the counter next to them. He grabbed her waist, lifting her up and caught her. Her legs instinctively curled around his torso. He walked them to the sofa and sat down, she was now straddling him. He had his hand on the back of her head, guiding her to lie on him.

"Give me one word and I'll make sure Mrs Jin knows who she's dealing with."

She held her finger to his lips, "I'm not going to let you do that."

"Why?"

"We gotta keep things professional at work. Work over personal!"

She pouted, making Chan melt inside. He lifted his head and pecked her forehead.

"I am keeping things professional, just with a pinch of personal motive," he smiled. "For work, she's overworking the intern, giving you way too many things to do that's not even for your pay-grade."

"And for personal?"

"She's overworking my wife," he mimicked her pout. "It hurts me."

She shook her head in amusement and pushed herself off Chan. She went back to the kitchen to finish whatever she was making. Chan waddled after her, leaning against the frame of the entrance with his arms crossed.

"I'll be done in a few minutes," she lifted the pancakes onto a plate. "Then we can go do whatever we want."

"You're being serious? About taking the day off?"

Maya looked over her shoulder, "Yeah."

Chan couldn't hide the smile on his face as he pulled out his phone. He had the idea to get Minho to reveal to Mrs Jin that Maya was out with him at a client meeting, but before he could dial the number, Minho's name started flashing on his screen.

"Yo, I was just about to call you," Chan started. "I won't be coming in--"

"I'm sorry, Chan, you have to come in today."

Chan's ears perked up, "What's wrong?"

Maya cast him a concerned look. She set his breakfast on the table, pulling on his hand to guide him to the table. He motioned for her to hold on while he took the call, he got up and went to his study room.

He was on the phone for close to 15 minutes. He came back to the table with a tense look on his face. Maya stopped munching when he plopped down in front her.

"What's wrong?"

Chan sighed, rubbing his face, "Minho just called. I need to be in the office today, there is an issue with the Finance department. Meeting's in 20 minutes."

His eyes fell onto the pancakes, "Looks like you'll have to pack them up for me."

Maya nodded, her eyes dulled for a second.

"I can still call in for you, you have a good rest at home?" Chan suggested. "I'm pretty sure Mrs Jin won't mind if the LOA came from me."

"No need," she looked up with a smile. "I'll head to the office too. This is a sign I should go to work."

"But--"

"It's okay. We can have that break when you have settled this current issue."

Chan gave his wife a sad smile, "Sorry babe."

"It's okay," she then motioned towards their bedroom door. "Go, get changed."

 

***

 

The sound of heels clicking against the floor resonated down the corridor of the main office. A lady dressed in a smart pantsuit sat outside the HR’s office, waiting for the results of her interview, alongside a few other applicants.

“Hello applicants,” a lady came out with a clipboard.

She stood up immediately and the group gathered.

“I will name the applicants who have made past the interview and will be joining our company.”

She glanced down on the clipboard.

“Miss Kim Kaeun. Mr Park Junhyung. Congratulations to both of you for making it into our company. Welcome to BC Hotels.” She motioned for them to enter the conference room. “Thank you to everyone who has made it so far.”

 

Kaeun studied the conference room she was in, she had always wanted to work in the hotel industry, she liked servicing customers and as the back-end in offices, she could help with organising events for the company.

The doors opened and the lady came back in, this time with two individuals.

“Miss Kaeun, this is your supervisor, Mrs Jin. You will be attached to the Finance department. She oversees the Events department as well, so if you have any questions, just contact her.”

Kaeun smiled brightly at Mrs Jin and bowed politely, the older woman immediately broke into a small grin as she returned the greeting. She held her hand out in a handshake.

“Hello. I hope your future with us will be a fruitful one.”

“Thank you, I look forward to working with you.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter