t w e n t y

Chasing Euphoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Maya let out a soft grunt as she stirred in her sleep. She realised in her subconscious that she couldn't move much, so she peeked one eye open. There were gentle puffs of air against her cheek as she saw Chan in front of her. She smiled and closed her eyes right back.

"You awake?"

His husky morning voice sent a rumble down his chest as he pulled Maya closer to him.

"Good morning," she gazed up at him, gently kissing his chin.

He smiled, "Good morning to you too, baby."

Maya stayed still for a minute before pushing herself away and getting up. Chan let out a small whine at the loss of her warmth.

"Where are you going?" He asked, draping his arm over his eyes as he laid on his back. "It's still early."

"Not for me," Maya entered the washroom. "I need to be at my desk an hour earlier."

Chan sat up, "Why?"

She gave him a small knowing smile before disappearing behind the door again. Chan ruffled his hair and swung his feet off the bed. He went to the kitchen to boil some water - he remembered Maya and her no-breakfast rule.

He's going to do something about it.

As he was working on the toast and some eggs, he heard their room door open.

"Chan?"

"In the kitchen!"

Soft footsteps came towards him and his heart skipped a beat when Maya wrapped her arms around him from behind.

"What are you doing?" She kissed his a couple of times.

"Breakfast for you."

"I can't eat, I need to leave soon."

He turned and caught her wrist. She flinched lightly but quickly calmed down, with a small smile. When Chan realised his action might have triggered something, he quickly dropped his hand.

"Sorry to surprise you," he rubbed his neck sheepishly. "But, you can't go without breakfast. Especially when you're going to office this early."

The toaster dinged, Chan grabbed the small container nearby and popped the toast in, together with the scrambled eggs. Maya watched her husband prepare her breakfast, her insides warming up.

"You are such a dear, you know that?"

He threw a glance over his shoulder, sending her a wink.

"I know."

He handed her the container and she was out the door before he knew it. He shook his head, wanting to grab some coffee for himself when he noticed the file on the counter. 

The document he handed to Mrs Jin.

"Shoot."

He dashed to this room to get ready.

 

***

 

Maya arrived in the office and no one was there - obviously - since it was nearing 8am. She was earlier than expected. She took out the little box Chan prepared for her and started munching on the toast as she started her computer. She was by herself, working and eating as time passed. Mrs Jin was nowhere to be seen but luckily her colleagues were piling in slowly.

"You're early today," Lucas popped by her cubicle. "Have you eaten?"

"I have work to do and yeah," She dropped her voice, "Chan made me breakfast."

Lucas nudged her teasingly, who was blushing.

"So the husband's been treating you well?"

She patted her cheeks, "Yeah. I actually feel like this might last."

"Might?"

"You know," Maya started. "Our marriage isn't exactly... conventional."

"But as long as he loves you, am I right?" Lucas rolled his eyes.

She shrugged, "I--"

"Why are you skiving away and not doing work? It's office hours."

Mrs Jin appeared behind Lucas, shocking the two interns.  Lucas gave Maya an apologetic look and rushed off, not wanting to give her more trouble.

The older woman shook her head disapprovingly before turning to Maya, "Where's the file I gave you yesterday? Have you been working on it?"

Maya reached for her bag, "I got home pretty late last night, I was thinking of completing it today--"

"So you're not doing anything yet?"

"Yes--"

Mrs Jin had her hands on her hips as she glared at Maya, scoffing, "Where's my file?"

She dug into her bag, but couldn't see the black file anywhere. She tried searching her desk but the file wasn't there too.

"I... I must have left it at home."

"How could you leave an important document like this at home?!"

 

Chan walked in behind them, Mrs Jin and Maya didn't notice his presence. He overheard the former yelling at Maya, who was just looking down at her feet. He gave Minho a look and went straight to his office. Minho took that as cue and walked to the pair.

Kaeun walked in as he started moving, she wanted to greet him but she could tell he was in a bad mood. She went straight to her desk. When Mrs Jin noticed Kaeun, she immediately stopped scolding Maya and went to talk to her new favourite.

Maya sighed, sitting down.

Her mobile pinged, it was a text from Lucas.

 

Lucas

You alright?

 

Maya looked over her shoulder and saw him giving her a concerned look, she gave him a quick nod and went back to doing her work. She heard footsteps go past her table, it was a different type of rhythm, which made her look up. She watched Minho go up to Mrs Jin and motioned her to follow him.

She saw they turn towards Chan's office and went back to work.

 

***

 

Knock knock

 

"Come in," Chan closed his file.

Minho opened the door and invited Mrs Jin in, "Sir."

"Mr Bang, you wanted to see me?" Mrs Jin bowed. "What can I do for you?"

Minho guided Mrs Jin towards the sofa area as Chan grabbed his iPad. She felt this weird tension in the air, like something was about to happen. Chan went to her and motioned for her to sit down while he took his seat opposite her.

"I just want to check on the thing I handed you yesterday, how are you coming along in finding the guy embezzling our funds?"

Mrs Jin paused, "I'm actually working on it with the intern."

"Hmm," he hummed. "Working together with the intern?"

"Y-Yes," Mrs Jin found herself stuttering. "But things are not going really smoothly."

"Oh? Why would you say that?"

She took a deep breath and sighed, "It's not that I have anything against her, but the intern has been rather off with her work, often staying back late just to complete what could be done in the day."

Chan resisted the urge to roll his eyes at her comment.

"I handed her to document that you gave me yesterday, so I could have a fresh pair of eyes looking at the issue, but when I entered officer, she was slacking off at work and she was talking to another colleague instead of working."

Chan just nodded along, pretending to be paying attention, but he was fuming inside. Minho rolled his eyes when he heard what Mrs Jin said. He had witnessed himself how different Mrs Jin treated Maya and her other colleagues.

"Besides, the reports she had submitted were not up to par, it's like she didn't put effort into completing them. I--"

Chan held his hand up to stop her from speaking further. Mrs Jin pressed her lips together, waiting for her boss to say something.

He knew how Maya worked, he saw her reports whenever she brought them home to work on.

"You do know that sometimes, Maya's reports come straight to me instead of going through you first?" He started. "So, I'm very sure on how her reports look like?"

"Y-Yes, sir?"

"Maya's a really detailed worker, she keeps track on all the necessary details of the report, even if they were not hers to deal with."

Chan held his palm out, Minho brought a couple of files to him.

"These are reports done by Maya and I certainly see no problems with her work. I've seen how late she stayed back in the office to get work done, while you leave work on time. And the file that I handed you to be in-charged of? Why did you leave it an intern, who has just joined us for just a couple of months?"

"Sir, I just wanted Maya to go through something like this, as a learning experience."

Chan took a deep breath, "I'm glad that you want to help our intern, but I want you to remember something. Maya Lee is an intern who might have the chance to join  the company in the future; I hope you can teach and help her properly and not throw her all the work. Am I clear?”

His voice was firm and direct, that Mrs Jin knew he meant business.

That he had seen or known what she had been doing.

"Yes, Sir.  I understand."

 

Mrs Jin came out of Chan's office, her heart in as she tried to calm herself down. Chan was d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter