e i g h t e e n

Chasing Euphoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

As the car entered Chan’s parents’ driveway, Bona could tell Chan was nervous. She chuckled to herself, getting his attention.

“What are you laughing at?”

She shook her head and motioned for him to look forward.

“Look who’s waiting.”

He looked to the door and shuddered when he saw his mother standing there with her hands on her hips, looking upset.

 

Ten minutes ago, while the married couple were still on the road towards his house, Maya received a text message from her mother-in-law.

 

Mrs Bang

My dear daughter-in-law, your father and I will be putting up an act later to scare Chris. You want in?

 

A smile crept onto her face as she side-eyed Chan, he was focused on his driving and he wasn’t paying much attention towards her.

 

To: Mrs Bang

Sure, I’m in.

 

Within a minute, she got a reply.

 

Mrs Bang

Just play along, don’t let him know anything.

 

**

 

Chan got out of the car and went over to help Maya with her door. She stepped out and before she could do anything, Chan grabbed her arm lightly and pulled her in front of himself as he nudged her forward.

“What are you doing?” She had to hide her laugh.

“I feel negativity in the air. I’m scared.”

Maya shook her head and pushed him in front of her. His mother took a step forward and held Chan by his ear, walking him into the house.

“Mom-- Mom!”

Maya closed the door behind herself while Chan and his parents sat down in the living room. He pulled her down with her, clinging tightly onto her arm.

“I know the scandal is causing a lot of problems,” he blurted. “I made things clear with Bona and the company is handling the media. I apologised to Maya and she knows what’s going on. Mom, Dad, I--”

The seriousness of Chan’s face was the last straw. Mr Bang let out a snort and Mrs Bang laughed. Chan was confused as to what was happening until he heard a stifled chuckle beside him.

Realisation dawned on him.

“Are you guys teasing me?” His eyes rounded in surprise. “Hey, it’s not funny!”

The trio shared knowing looks and laughter erupted.

“This will teach you a lesson. Find your priority and let go of those that hurt you.” Mr Bang piped up. “Men of the Bang family take things to their stride, they admit to their mistakes and make things right.”

Chan pouted, nodding his head.

“She's a nice one. A great daughter-in-law,” Mrs Bang stood beside Maya. “You better do what you can to keep this girl, or I'm kicking your .”

He glanced at his wife, there was a playful smile on her face.

“I will do whatever it takes,” he winked at her.

Maya rolled her eyes in response, Mrs Bang laughed.

"Now, you two lovebirds, head on home and rest well for the night."

"But dinner--"

On cue, the housekeeper hurried over with two bags. Mrs Bang took them and the bags in Chan's arms.

"I packed for you two. Everything here could probably last you for 3 days."

Maya's eyes lit up at the sound of home-cooked food. Chan leaned into his mother's arms despite all the stuff he was carrying.

"Thanks, mom. We'll be going now."

The couple bid farewell to the parents. Maya settled into the car and Chan placed the food on her lap. They didn't want to risk spilling the previous mom-cooked goodies all over the carpet. Chan gave his parents one final wave before cursing the vehicle out of the gates.

 

**

 

Chan was in his room, his papers were all over his table. He could hear running water in the toilet, he was waiting for Maya to be done. He was about to call Minho about something when he heard a loud gasp from the toilet.

He shot up from his seat immediately.

“Maya? Maya. What’s wrong?”

He knocked on the door.

“Babe?”

“It’s nothing. I’m okay!”

“Then, why--”

He heard the door unlock and Maya stuck an arm out.

“Could you help me with something?”

“Hmm? What do you need?”

There was a slight pause and Maya cleared , “Could you grab me a pad? I’m having my period.”

Chan chuckled, giving her hand a little tap.

“I’ll go get it. Hold on.”

He went to his desk and pulled on a drawer. He had prepared several types of sanitary napkins in case Maya needed one suddenly.

“Which one do you need?”

“Night.”

He handed it to her and went out of the room, Maya came out of the washroom a while later, just as Chan entered the room with a tray of goodies. She laughed when she noticed the chocolate and warm milk.

“You are such a dear, you know that?” She teased as he sat her down on his chair.

“I know, but only for my wife.’

She pushed his shoulder lightly, making him rub the area playfully.

“After you finish the milk and chocolate, rest early okay?”

Chan took his laptop and papers off the desktop, making space for Maya, but she stopped him, “You can use the desk, I’ll use the side table.”

“It’s alright, wife. Just sit here until you’re done.” He continued with his work, “Oh, and take a break from work tomorrow.”

“Why? I’m fine to work!”

“Babe, I don’t want the employees to bombard you with questions, besides the reporters are going to be there tomorrow. I don’t want you to be hounded by them.”

“You worry too much,” Maya reassured him. “It’s nice of you to be considerate but you can’t always protect me. I’m a regular employee.”

“Yes, but you are my wife too,” he pointed out. “If I have to pick between you and your job, definitely it’s gonna be you.”

“I would be mad if you picked my job over me,” she chuckled. “But, alright. I’ll listen to you this once more. No more ordering me around at home, Mr Bang.”

He held three fingers up, promising her. She pulled his hand down.

“I just need your word, don’t swear.”

Chan took her hand and kissed the back of her hand before nodding towards the cup of milk, “Drink while it’s warm.”

He waited till she sipped from the glass before smiling in assurance and eaned back against the bed frame to continue his work.

 

Chan was finally done with his work for the next day. He set his laptop on his bedside and felt Maya stirring in her sleep next to him. He slowly leaned down closer to her face before pressing his lips lightly on her forehead.

He went to wash up, leaving the girl in bed. When he came back out, she was frowning, she had rolled over to face his side, her arm was feeling around the area Chan used to occupy. He shook his head, smiling to himself.

He settled back in bed, he stuck his arm to her, she grabbed it and placed it on her cheek, finally smiling at the warmth of his hand.

Chan had to hold his chuckle as he slid back into his spot. He scooted closer to her, till their foreheads almost touched, his hand still on her cheek.

“You are such a softie, you know that?” He whispered.

She rubbed her face against her pillow, as though he had heard her. He stared the peaceful look on her face a second more and closed his eyes.

“Go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter