f i v e

Chasing Euphoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Maya arrived early to work the next day, she was worried that she couldn’t finish her work on time, with so many extra paperwork handed down to her. She was waiting for the lift, focusing on the file she had brought home to read up on when she felt a presence beside her.

She looked up.

It was a super tall lady, her legs could go for days. Her facial features were distinct and sharp.

“She’s definitely a model,” Maya thought to herself.

The lady caught her staring, she scoffed and folded her arms.

“I’m not giving you an autograph if that’s what you want," the lady said haughtily.

Maya just kept quiet, rolling her eyes as she went back to her file. The lift door opened, she was about to take a step forward but the tall lady beat her to it. She entered and stood behind the model.

At level 33, the doors opened and revealed Bang Chan with Minho. They entered, the former noticed his Vegas wife in the lift. He wanted to smile at her but the other lady pulled him into her arms.

"Na," he kissed her cheek.

Minho and Maya caught eye contact and she quickly shied away. She backed further until her back hit the railing of the lift. Bona gave her a look for disturbing her kissy moment with her boyfriend, Chan tried to hide his gaze towards the girl.

Everyone stepped out at level 35. Maya wanted to scurry away from them but Bang Chan called out to her. She halted.

"Ma-- Miss Lee. Come see me in my office in an hour."

"S-Sure."

He gave her a little nod and she went off. Her heart was racing, she hid behind the wall to calm herself down.

 

"Who is that?" Bona asked, annoyed. "I've never seen her before."

"A new intern at the hotel."

Bang Chan didn't want to say anything more. He didn't want her to know that he got married to the intern.

"She's so… plain."

"She works well," Minho piped in. "She’s on her second day of work and she had already completed 3 finance reports. She’s a fast worker.”

Chan heaved a silent breath, glad that she was fitting well into the company, although he was slightly concerned that she did 3 reports in one working day. 

 

**

 

Maya sat at her desk, preparing to start on her work when she felt a tap on her head. She looked up, Lucas’ cheeky grin greeted her.

“Hey,” she smiled. “What are you doing here?”

“I kinda miss my intern buddy, how’s your workload?”

She sighed playfully, “I finished a couple of reports yesterday and have more to complete today. You?”

Lucas tapped his chin.

“Everyone’s working on the advertisement for the up-coming ten-millionth visitor to the hotel. We have been rushing the work. I am dying."

The corners of Maya’s lips curved up.

“Then how do you still have time to be here. Get back to work Lucas,” she teased. “You’ve got stuff to do.”

He chuckled, tapping her on her head again.

 

Bang Chan entered the office, his eyes landed on Lucas and Maya playing around. His brows furrowed, Minho noticed the slight change in his behaviour and realised what he saw. He took a step forward, clearing his throat.

Maya and Lucas got their feet, bowing respectfully to the higher-ups. Bang Chan ignored their greeting and walked to his office. Lucas nudged Maya, she turned to him.

“Sorry, man. I hope I didn’t get you into trouble.”

She waved her hand at him, “Don’t worry. I doubt anything will happen to me.”

 

**

 

Bang Chan typed away at his desk, Bona had gone for her schedule and Minho went back to his daily activities. His mind kept replaying the image of Maya laughing away with another man. He slapped his cheeks lightly.

“What the hell am I thinking about?” He chided himself. “Stop it!”

 

Knock knock

 

“Come in.”

Maya entered the office and closed the door behind her. “You were looking for me?”

Bang Chan forgot that he told her to come to his office, he rarely forgets stuff but this time, he made a mistake.

“O-Oh. Come, sit there.”

He motioned for her to sit. She followed him meekly, not knowing what was going to happen. Was she going to be scolded for having a little fun with a colleague? What else would be looking for her, for?

“Uhm… What you saw earlier in the lift…”

She heaved a sigh of relief.

“Was that the girlfriend you told me about?”

He nodded, “We’re back together.”

“That’s good!” She suddenly blurted. “I’m happy that you guys settled your differences.”

Bang Chan was puzzled, that was a response he didn’t expect.

“If there’s nothing else, I’ll get back to work.”

Maya got up, wanting to leave but he grabbed her wrist and tugged her back. She stumbled, tripping over the sofa’s legs. She let out a little yelp before falling onto Chan’s laps. He gasped, his hands flew up in surrender. Both of them stayed in that position in silence for a full minute before she realised she was sitting on him.

“Oh my god! I’m so sorry!” She leapt off the man and quickly straightened her skirt. “I… I tripped over something.”

“It’s okay, everything’s alright.” He said hurriedly. “But-- I--”

Maya cocked her head, giving him that innocent stare while waiting for him to finish his sentence. He couldn’t help but stare at her, finding her reaction cute.

“Okay, let me start over.” He rubbed his face. “I know we don’t have any relation other than being married. But I would like to explain that I didn’t know my girlfriend would turn up today. I apologise if that made you uncomfortable. And if you ever find someone that you think will be able to be your happiness for the rest of your life, that’s good--”

“Wait, wait!” She let out a chuckle. “What are you doing?”

“I didn’t want you to misunderstand,” he blinked in confusion. “I thought--”

She patted him on his arm, “I know what you’re trying to say.”

“You do?”

“Yeah,” she shrugged. “We got married for the fun of it back in Vegas. It’s gonna be valid for a year before our rights to get the marriage is annulled. I read up online in case anything happened. You want to be with your girlfriend, and I am not ready for another relationship at the moment.”

Chan sat down, his heart slowing down.

She sat on the arm of the sofa next to him and carelessly draped his arm over his shoulders.

“We are friends, aren’t we?”

His mind suddenly clicked over to the night they had together, he choked on his saliva. She seemed to catch on with what he was thinking and sprung away from him. She cleared .

“Even though I’m legally your wife, we can start as friends. Why not? You seem like a nice guy.”

“So friends?” He prompted.

“Definitely.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter