n i n e

Chasing Euphoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Maya!”

Maya halted at the sound of her name. She had just arrived in the office building and was waiting for the lift to arrive. She turned around, a smile tugged on her lips.

“Lucas!”

She waited for the male to reach her. He grinned, wrapping his arms around her very tightly. She gasped at the sudden hug but returned it nonetheless.

“What got you so chirpy?”

“Well…” Lucas pressed his lips together to suppress his happiness. “My girlfriend said yes to my proposal last night!”

“Oh my god! Really?!”

Both of them held each other and jumped around in circles like children.

“Congratulations!” She pulled him into another hug.

Lucas giggled and wrapped his arms around her, twirling the girl around.

“What is going on?”

He paused, Maya saw Minho and Bang Chan standing behind them, the expression on the latter’s face was unreadable. It looked as though he was… mad.

Lucas steadied Maya on the ground but kept his arm around her waist.

There was a noticeable twitch in Chan’s eye when his gaze went to Lucas’ arm. He walked up towards them, the employees greeted him. Maya thought he was going to stop in front of her, but he carried on walking. As he passed her, he muttered something under his breath. Stalking off, he took the first lift that came.

Lucas looked at the direction of the lifts in confusion.

“What does he mean by ‘watch your status’?”

Maya sighed, “There’s something you don’t know about us.”

The guy rose his brow.

“Spill the tea, sis.”

 

***

 

Lucas took a sip of his frappe and tapped his bottom lip with the straw.

“So, you mean to say that you and Mr Bang are married--”

Maya slapped her hand over his mouth, “Ya! Not so loud!”

“Alright, alright,” he gently lifted her hand and handed her a napkin.

She dabbed clean. They were at the coffee place on the second level of their building. Since they were early, they had time for a coffee.

“Back to what I was saying,” he sassed. “So both of you are married, but he still has a girlfriend?”

“Yeap.”

“And now you’re living together because some ert tried to get to you at your place?”

“Right.”

Lucas popped a small piece of cake into his mouth.

“So his girlfriend doesn’t know about both of you.”

“Right again.” She rolled her eyes, “Ya, do you think I’ll still be alive if the girlfriend knows?”

“And she appeared at the house today, so you had to scurry and hide like a mouse?”

“Ya--”

“Just answer.”

Maya nodded, “Hmm.”

Lucas took another sip and quickly threw Maya a question.

“Do you like him though?”

She choked, “What?”

“Ani~ You were feeling off when you had to hide when you’re the wife.” Lucas tapped her forehead. “And have you seen the look on Mr Bang’s face when he saw both of us together?”

“So?”

“I think he likes you.”

Maya shot him a death stare and her eyes darted around.

“Are you serious? He has a girlfriend!”

Lucas leaned back in his chair, “So? You’re the wife.”

She shook her head.

“I’m the one who got between them.”

“Well, he married you.”

“Out of pure fun.”

“He still married you.”

Maya rolled her eyes, trying to hide her grin. Lucas, on the other hand, was laughing at her plight.

“I have to get to work.”

“Yeah, sure you do.”

Lucas got up after her, Maya smacked his arm and both of them went to the lift lobby. She was still thinking about what Chan meant.

 

Chan was in his office, deep in thought. He felt bad for hiding Maya, he never liked the idea of her as his… one night stand. She's a nice girl, and he didn't want to ruin whatever friendship they had between them.

He was sure that whatever feelings he had towards her was purely platonic.

Until he saw her with Lucas.

His brows furrowed at the thought of the male.

"Who is he anyway?" He muttered to himself.

 

Knock knock

 

"Hmm, come in."

Minho strode in with files in his hand.

"Here are the files and all the information you need for the meetings lined up. Do you need me to go through the agenda?"

Chan shook his head, "Nope. I'm good."

Minho then bowed and proceeded to leave the office when Chan called him.

"Say, do you happen to know who the guy Maya was with?"

“Oh, Lucas?” Minho nodded. “He’s an intern too, with the advertising department.”

“Lucas…” Chan repeated the name under his breath, with thought.

 

**

 

Maya went out of the office building to run some errands for her department.

Yes, grocery shopping. 

Despite being part of the finance department, she was still an intern. The lowest position in any department: increase their workload and gets paid intern salary.

Grabbing a basket, Maya started throwing whatever she was told to get into the basket. As she was going down one aisle, she spotted a middle-aged lady dressed in very fancy and high-end clothes.

People around her were staring but she didn't seem to be bothered with the looks. Maya could probably already guessed what the passersby were mumbling about.

 

Why would a rich woman come to a supermarket to get groceries?

Where is her maid? Shouldn't rich people like her have someone like that?

 

Maya shook her head at what she heard and carried on with her business. Her basket was getting a little too full for her, she needed to get going or she'll never be able to return to the office alone.

 

With 4 bags in her hands, Maya tried to hail a cab but they were scarce in the area she was in. She put the bags on the ground, massaging her arms when two men brushed against her. One bag toppled, she clicked her tongue and one of the two men turned.

Maya froze when he stared at her.

"Look away, woman."

She didn't want any trouble so she dropped her gaze and started picking her stuff up. They didn't walk too far away, Maya overheard their conversation.

 

"Are you sure she's in there?"

"The last I saw she was. Did you see that watch? Her jewellery was the expensive kind

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter