t w e n t y s e v e n

Chasing Euphoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chan and Maya were not on talking terms, they had bumped into each other in the kitchen but neither acknowledged the other. Maya felt the tension and it was suffocating, so she grabbed her bag and was going to leave when she heard the doorbell ring.

She let out a loud gasp and fell on her , the contents of her bag spilling all over the floor. Chan rushed over upon hearing the thud and rushed to help her up but Maya kept muttering she was alright.

She grabbed everything in sight, stuffed them into her bag, and dashed out the gate.

Right past a delivery guy.

Chan shook his head dejectedly, he didn't expect things to turn out this way. It was their first fight ever, it didn't feel good to be shouting at the woman he was going to love his whole life.

He received his delivery, went back in just as his coffee machine beeping, when he saw a folded white envelope on the floor. It was addressed to Maya's old home, so he didn't pry and left it on the counter.

 

***

 

Bad luck did come in pairs.

Maya entered the office and was immediately greeted by Kaeun. She glared at her and trudged back to her seat, ignoring the existence of that vile woman. As Maya left her sight, Kaeun smirked at her reaction.

"I know you saw us," she chuckled. "I wanna see how long you can keep cool about it."

 

It was quite a busy day in the department. Maya went back to her old self and started doing reports and tasks, even though they were not hers, so that she could drown herself with work.

Best of both worlds, too.

The department gets its job done and she gets to have her mind occupied.

 

Maya left her desk after working for hours straight and was in the pantry stirring her coffee. Her mind wandering to recent events, she massaged her arms at the thought of Marco.

"Enjoying your coffee?" Kaeun asked, walking up behind her. "Don't forget to add some sugar, you're probably too bitter right now."

Maya took a deep breath, "What do you want?"

Kaeun stood beside her, her back against the counter.

"I know you saw us last night." She blew on her nails.

Maya stopped stirring and turned to look at her, "So?"

"I know you guys are a couple too."

She scoffed, "And you have the cheek to be so nonchalant about seducing another woman's man?"

Kaeun chuckled, clicking her tongue.

"Hey, hey. Wait just a minute," she shook her finger at Maya. "Let's not use the word seduce in the context."

She took Maya's mug of coffee away and added some sugar into the drink.

"When I kissed Chan," she emphasized. "It was like returning to an old lover."

"But he still belongs to another woman, does he not?" Maya countered. "He's off-limits."

"Oh honey," Kaeun took a sip out of the mug. "That's just what I do. I'm more spontaneous and fun than you, I can take over and show your man the things he is missing."

She pushed the mug back to Maya.

"You don't have to thank me for it," she patted her shoulder and turned to leave.

"You vixen," she snapped. "Stay away from Chan."

Kaeun looked over her shoulder, " Or what? You're gonna tell the world that Bang Chan is your lover and the lowly intern is attached to the most eligible bachelor? Don't make me laugh. Who knows, I might satisfy him better than you do."

Maya grabbed Kaeun back by her shirt, whipping her around and sent her palm across her face. Kaeun held her stinging cheek, gapping at Maya in surprise. She heard footsteps coming towards them and she reached for the mug on the counter, smashing it onto the floor.

"I'm so sorry!" Kaeun cried as staff ran towards the pantry. "I didn't mean to add another cube of sugar! I didn't know!"

"I--" Maya looked around in panic.

The staff were discussing and pointing fingers at her. After all, the intern had just attacked the Boss' new secretary.

"What's happening?"

Chan walked into the pantry, Kaeun immediately grabbed onto his sleeve and hid behind him. He surveyed the area, his gaze landed on Maya, she was just trying to control her tears.

"I was just making coffee, Maya wanted some so I helped her but she flared up and threw the mug at me. I tried to calm her down but…" she sobbed. "Look at my face."

Chan's eyes flitted to the reddened cheek before looking at Maya. She could see the doubt in his eyes, it was what ticked her off.

"You believe that?" She asked incredulously. "You believe whatever that said?"

"Miss Lee, please mind your language." Chan squared his shoulders. "We're in the office. The rest of you, get back to work."

The spectators all quietly went back to their desks, Chan took a step into the pantry.

"What the hell happened here?"

Kaeun shook her head, still tearing. Maya scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"Miss Lim, talk to me. What happened?"

Kaeun spoke up, "Maya saw what happened between us yesterday."

Chan's eyes rounded. Whipping his head towards his wife, his eyes were apologetic and he tried to tell her he could explain everything. Maya didn't want to listen.

"She slapped me before I could explain things to her."

Maya couldn't hear anymore and tried to leave. She brushed against Kaeun's shoulders but Chan grabbed her arm before she left.

"Babe, I can explain everything."

She looked down at his hand on her wrist and then saw how Kaeun was clinging onto his sleeve. She dropped her arm.

"Save it," she hissed.

She pushed his hand off hers and ran out. Chan shoved Kaeun’s arms off of him and ran after Maya, not caring about how his employees were exchanging looks and whispered among each other.

Chan caught up with Maya, she struggled against him. He didn't want to hurt her or make a scene, so gently guided her towards the stairwell.

"Let go of me!"

"Listen to me, please!" He begged. "I...

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter