t w e n t y t w o

Chasing Euphoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"How are things going for the ball event?"

Chan was heading a meeting for the hotel's bi-annual ball. Finance and Events departments started presenting on their current status. The event's planning was going pretty well so far and Chan nodded his head in approval.

"Now, we're just lacking on the catering and decorations for the venue," Mrs Jin voiced out.

"Alright, thank you."

Chan rubbed his chin and glanced down on his file, where the list of people in charge were written down for his reference.

"I see that Maya is in charge of the catering?" He looked up. "Are there any updates?"

Maya stood up and handed everyone a copy of her report.

"I have sent out ITQs for several catering companies and managed to settle on the menu and pricing with one company. I will be meeting the in-charge in his office later today to sign a contract."

Chan nodded, turning to Kaeun. "Kaeun, I understand that you have experience in similar events."

"Yes, Sir." She confirmed. "During my internship days and my degree covers event management."

"Great, I want you to work with Maya on the catering and decor."

"Sure, Sir."

"Is there anything else we need to cover?"

Whispers filled the room before choruses of 'no' sounded. Chan looked up, smiling in approval and content. "This event is a big one, current and potential clients will be attending this ball. Let's make it successful."

"Yes, Sir!"

"I have nothing further," he stood up. "Let's end the meeting here."

Everyone started packing up while Chan left the room. Maya went over to Kaeun, all smiles, happy that she was going to have a partner to work with. Kaeun smiled at her as she approached.

"Let's work well together," Maya held her hand out.

"We will," Kaeun returned her smile.

Mrs Jin appeared behind Kaeun, "Make sure you keep an eye on her, don't let her screw up."

Maya's smile immediately disappeared as she lowered her gaze. She politely excused herself to get back to work. Kaeun sighed, turning to Mrs Jin.

"Mrs Jin, did you really have to say something like that?" She asked, disappointment in her tone. "She's just an intern, someone working for the company."

"I--"

Mrs Jin was taken aback, she never really expected anyone - especially Kaeun - to talk back to her. Well, other than Chan, that is.

"She's a nice person, you'll see that."

Kaeun excused herself and left the conference room, back to her desk to gather notes. She wanted to meet with Maya, to discuss on the company.

"Maybe I'll accompany her to the meeting."

She bumped into Maya in the pantry. The girl was stirring her coffee, distracted.

"Hey," she tapped Maya's shoulder. "You alright?"

Maya jumped, but when she saw Kaeun, she composed herself.

"Yeah, I'm good. Thanks for asking."

A small awkward silence enveloped them.

"So, you're going to meet the in-charge for catering later?"

"Yeah."

"I'll come with, is that okay?"

Maya's eyes lit up, it's the first time anyone wanted to work with her. Since Mrs Jin terrorised her at work, the people around her began to develop this stigma against her.

Like she was incompetent, just because she's an intern.

"Sure!" She blurted, a little too excited.

"Okay, let me know when you're leaving, alright?"

Maya nodded and smiled again, taking her cup of coffee and walking out of the pantry - this time with a little spring in her steps. Kaeun watched the lady leave her sights, a strange warmth in her heart. It felt nice to help someone else.

 

It was almost time to leave the office. Maya grabbed her bag and went to look for Kaeun, but she had been called to another meeting. She left a note on her desk, that she was going to meet the in-charge herself. Just as she headed to the exit, she heard footsteps behind her.

"Don't screw up," Mrs Jin said in a sing-song tone. "Come back quickly, the department needs reports from you.

Maya just gave her a look and left the building. She was there first in the cafe of the catering business' building. She jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Oh no, I'm sorry. Did I scare you?"

A well-dressed man in his mid-thirties popped up behind her, Maya recognised him to be the manager of the catering business. She got to her feet quickly and held her hand out.

"Mr Kim, I'm Maya from BC Hotels."

He shook her hand and guided her to sit down, his hand on her shoulder. The waiter walked over to take their orders, Maya helped Mr Kim order his drink. When she turned her attention back to the manager, she realised he was sitting a little too close for her liking.

She shifted herself away, hoping her movement was unnoticed.

"I'm sorry I'm late," he started.

Maya glanced at her watch, "No, you weren't late."

He reached over to pay her hands, making her withdraw her arms. He chuckled at her actions and cleared his throat.

"Thanks for coming to meet me here. We can begin on the signing now."

He reached for his bag, "Oh dear, I'm so sorry. I was in a rush earlier, I left the document in my office. I'll go grab it, give me a few minutes."

Mr Kim got up but paused.

"Oh wait, I have a better idea. How about you come with me to the office? We can sign the document there instead of moving up and down and wasting precious time."

Maya thought about his preposition and her mind went back to what Mrs Jin said. As unwilling as she was, there still were reports for her to do. She would need to complete them as soon as possible, if she wanted to home on time.

"Alright, I'll go with you."

Maya followed Mr Kim towards the lift, she stood behind him so she could watch him and make sure there was no monkey business. The lift came and she went in after him, standing next to him.

Her phone pinged, it was a message from Kaeun.

 

Unknown

Hey Maya, it's Kaeun. I hope you don't mind that I got your number from Mrs Jin. I just saw your note, thanks for informing me that you were going ahead first. I'll pop by the caterer's and pick you up?

 

She typed a quick reply and kept her phone. There was a slight brush against the arm, she jumped when Mr Kim was standing close to her. She took a step away.

"Mr Kim?"

He didn't say a word and rubbed the back of his neck. He stepped towards the buttons and the door opened. He went out first, glancing over his shoulder at Maya. His head tilted, prompting Maya to follow after him.

He led her towards his office, at the back of the main kitchen.

"Come on in," he offered.

Maya took an unsure step in and sat opposite Mr Kim. He pointed at the file before her and slapped his forehead dramatically.

"The file's right there," he chuckled. "Silly me."

He went around the table and stood next to Maya. He flipped the document opened and pointed at the line for Maya's signature. She dug into her bag for a pen, but couldn't find any.

"Looking for a pen? I have one here."

He purposely leaned forward to take one from his drawer, when he could have walked around the desk to grab it. The side of his body pressed against Maya's arm.

He handed her the pen and she shakily read through the papers. She could feel his eyes on her the whole time she was looking down.

"Everything looks good," she managed to let out. "I'll sign now."

She shakily signed the document and handed it to Mr Kim, who took this opportunity to caress her hands.

"Mr Kim!" She gasped and bounced away. "What are you doing?"

He put the document down.

"Don't be alarmed," he held up his hands. "I'm just taking the document over to sign it. See?"

He picked up his pen and left his signature on the paper, next to her name. He gave her the papers and she stuffed it into her bag. She quickly got up and tried to find an excuse to leave.

"I guess my work here is done," she fibbed. "I have to head back now."

She reached for the door handle, but was promptly stopped.

"What are you doing?"

Her back hit the door as he caged her between his arms. He was so close to her that she could smell the mint in his breath.

"Let go of me!" She pushed his chest. "Before I call the cops!"

"Call the cops?" He laughed. "And tell them what? That I'm harassing you?"

Maya turned her face away, "Y-Yes!"

"You can try," he threw his hands up. "No one's going to believe you."

He rubbed her arm, forcing her up against the door. She had nowhere to run. She could feel his breath against her neck, that was the final straw. Maya let out a shout, surprising Mr Kim and kneed him in the nuts before dashing out of the office, like a madwoman.

She didn't stop running until she reached the entrance. She was going out the door when she bumped into Kaeun.

"Maya! Are you alright?"

Maya nodded her head frantically, dragging Kaeun towards her car. She hopped in, urging her to drive. She didn't say another word and drove out the building. She noticed Maya trembling in her seat, but didn't probe.

"Do you want to head back to the office?"

She shook her head, "Can you drop me off at my place? I'll call and apply for urgent leave."

"Oh? O-Okay."

Kaeun followed Maya's directions and they arrived at her place. Maya dug into her bag and pulled out the document, giving it to Kaeun.

"Hand this to Mr Bang."

Kaeun nodded and Maya left the car. She watched her enter her house before driving off, making a mental note to inform Chan about it - since he was the one who appointed them to work together

 

Chan stretched himself after hours of pouring over his work. He was about to continue when there was a knock on his door.

"Come in."

Minho walked in with Kaeun in tow.

"Miss Kaeun wants to see you," Minho announced and stepped out. Chan was confused by the sudden audience and beckoned her to step towards his desk.

"What's wrong?"

"Maya wanted me to hand you this. I flipped through the contract and everything's in place," she explained. "The terms are pretty advantageous to both parties, she did well."

Chan smiled, "I've seen some of her work, she's pretty hard-working."

Kaeun then frowned.

"What's wrong?" Chan asked.

"Maya doesn't seem to be feeling well, she told me to send her home and that she'll call in sick."

Chan fought the urge to jump up and sprint home, but he kept his composure.

"She has yet to call, but I'll get Minho to put in the notice for her." A silence fell onto them before Chan cleared his throat. "If there's nothing else, you may leave my office."

After Kaeun left, Chan quickly grabbed his phone and c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter