Friends

HERSHE
"So, you're saying that you two got back together?" asked Irene before sipping from her glass of mango juice.
 
"Yeah. Officially together again." Bogum smiled as he twirled the pasta in his fork. "Isn't it funny how she only realized that four months after the breakup?"
 
"Maybe she just got confused? At least the breakup made her realize how much you mean to her.."
 
"It did. And honestly, she panicked a little after she found out from Dad I was going out with you." Bogum chuckled.
 
"Should I hide now?"
 
"Don't worry. She doesn't kill. But yeah, she tortures."
 
"Ooh. Scary." Irene shuddered. Bogum laughed again. "On a serious note tho, I'm happy for you."
 
"Thank you." Bogum lightly bowed. "But you know what, I realized something just now. The break up was hard for me, yes, but I am happy it happened."
 
Irene folded her arms on the table. "And why is that?"
 
"If Yoojung didn't break up with me, I don't think we'll get closer," said Bogum. "Being friends with you is a breakup retribution I'm glad happened."
 
Irene gave him a warm smile. Although a lot of things have been troubling her lately, Bogum is one of those few people who give her joy from time to time.
 
"I'm thankful to have you as a friend too," she said.
 
Bogum went back to his food. "How about you, how's he?"
 
Irene was glad that she didn't choke on her food. Because the truth is, she's not okay.
 
She never got the chance to talk to Seulgi towards the end of the week because Wendy was very diligent to drive her and pick her up. Irene didn't even bother to ask Seulgi out over the weekend because she remembered how Wendy told Krystal, when they all got together in the elevator, about her weekend plans with Seulgi.
 
Irene isn't sure how it happened. It's like she doesn't exist in Seulgi's world anymore, and it's killing her. She was glad that Bogum asked her out today because she was gloomy all day in her room.
 
"It's hopeless, Bogum," said Irene, absently tapping the tip of her fork on her plate.
 
"Hmm? How come? What happened?"
 
"Everything is just too complicated now, more complicated than you can imagine."
 
"I don't mean to intervene but I think I know what your real problem is," said Bogum, pausing a little while waiting for Irene to look up to him. "It's that Seulgi, right?"
 
Irene's chest pounded. "H-how--"
 
"Well, anyone can notice the closeness. But only the keen ones can tell that there is something going on between the two of you."
 
"Oh." Irene looked down, feeling shy.
 
"She's the one with you in Haeundae, right?" asked Bogum, getting a nod from Irene. "She's the one you were talking to in the café that Friday night too, right?"
 
Irene nodded again. "I'm sorry. I was afraid to tell you because I thought you'd look down on me."
 
"Why would I do that? I was just waiting for you to tell it to me," said Bogum sincerely. "And why are you keeping everything bottled until now? Do you want to make yourself go crazy?"
 
"You know it's not as easy as what you're having with Yoojung."
 
"I know. But you can't keep yourself hurting like that. Is this because of your mom?"
 
Irene exhaled. "There's no way she will accept it."
 
"Maybe you and Seulgi could work it out? Have you talked to her about it?"
 
Irene shook her head. "She doesn't even know what I really feel for her. And she's been avoiding me since she found out that you and I have been going out."
 
"Oh. I'm sorry." Bogum shoulders fell. "I can talk to her to clarify things out, you know."
 
Irene shook her head. "There's no need for that."
 
"Why?"
 
"She might be already over me."
 
"That fast? That's impossible." Bogum leaned forward, his arms against the edge of the table. "If she's really into you, there's no way she can get over you that instant."
 
"She confronted me a week ago about. I was just so confused." Irene propped her head on her hands. "I didn't know what to say. I end up denying everything. I even told her I can't be with her. That's the last time we really talked. The next thing I knew is she was treating me like a total stranger."
 
"Oh. I see." Bogum leaned back and thinks. "Can't you just approach her and talk to her again?"
 
"I can't. She's already going out with another girl."
 
"What? Going out like dating?"
 
"Maybe hanging out for now, but who knows? The girl is obviously enamored with Seulgi." Irene grunted.
 
Bogum chuckled. "So, you're telling me you're giving up just like that?"
 
"That girl has no issues like me. I can't blame Seulgi for that. She knows there's no hope in us."
 
"What if she still wants you but she's just avoiding you because she thought you didn't want to be with her?" asked Bogum, waving his fork. "Or maybe she's avoiding you because she thought we're an item?"
 
Irene covered her face this time. "Uuggggnnnn..."
 
"One question, Irene: do you love her?"
 
Irene brought her hands down to look at Bogum. She took a deep breath and weighed herself for the answer, the answer she has not admitted even to herself until now.
 
"I'm scared, Bogum." She clenched her fists. "I'm so scared."
 
Bogum leaned forward, waiting for Irene to continue.
 
"This is the first time I've felt something like this. I... I feel so vulnerable around her, so out of control, so helpless, like my very breath depends on her..." added Irene.
 
Bogum reached out for her hand to comfort her.
 
"If I'd defy my mom now and be with her, will she be able to stand it with me? What if she'll leave me? What would happen to me?" She looked at Bogum.
 
"You're thinking too much." Bogum rubbed his thumb at the back of Irene's hand. "Every relationship goes through something like that; like me and Yoojung. But that's not what you should be thinking of now. If you two have mutual feelings for each other, I don't see any reason you shouldn't be together."
 
"But what about my mom?"
 
"If you really love her, then you've got to stand for it. Your mom will learn to accept it. Eventually."
 
Irene looked away and frowned.
 
"Don't let this one get away, Irene. It's hard to find someone to love, but it's harder to find someone who will love you back." Bogum squeezed her hand. "If you'll let her go away without a fight, you'll regret it. You deserve the right to be happy. So do it, not for Seulgi or anyone else, do it for yourself."
 
It was really encouraging. Irene felt the heavy feeling on her chest becoming a little lighter. She was able to make out a small smile in response.
 
"Thank you. Really."
 
"Anytime." Bogum pulled his hand. "Now since it's your fault for pushing her away, you need to make an effort to talk to her."
 
"Irene, is that you?" a familiar voice from the back called.
 
Irene almost fell off her chair when she saw Wendy approaching them with Seulgi tailing the woman.
 
"I knew it was you the moment we got in. I had to take a closer look to make sure," said Wendy happily. She looked at Bogum. "Oh. My apologies for the sudden intrusion. I'm Wendy."
 
"Bogum." He shook Wendy's hand then he waved at Seulgi who's standing a few meters away from their table.
 
Seulgi beckoned her head to say hello. "Hey, Wendy. Come on. I'm hungry."
 
"Just a few more moments, Seul. Don't you feel excited seeing them here?"
 
"They are already enjoying their food. Let's stop disturbing them. Aunt Victoria is already waiting for us."
 
"Nah, it's all right, it's perfectly fine. We're almost done here anyway." Bogum wiped his mouth with the cloth napkin.
 
"Are you coming to the party tomorrow, Bogum?" asked Wendy.
 
"Party?" Bogum looked at Irene.
 
"Uh. Well. It's our company's foundation day tomorrow. We're working half-day only to give way for the party in the afternoon," said Irene. "Every employee has a plus one."
 
"I see." Bogum nodded.
 
"Did you invite him, Irene?" asked Wendy.
 
"Ah. No. He's busy."
 
"Oh. I see. Seulgi invited me for tomorrow."
 
Irene's eyes shifted to Seulgi who's looking somewhere far. "That's cool."
 
"Oh my gosh, Irene! If you had told me earlier about it, then maybe I shouldn't have made plans with MY GIRLFRIEND," said Bogum, winking at Irene discreetly.
 
Irene smiled, amused by how Bogum had put emphasis on his words. She noticed from her peripheral vision how they got Seulgi's attention now.
 
"It's okay. It's not like I'd be alone there. I have my team. Plus, you wouldn't want YOUR GIRLFRIEND to get mad at you by canceling your date, right?" said Irene, riding along.
 
"That would be a world war." Bogum laughed.
 
"Nice! That's good to know," said Wendy. "By the way, we better go ahead. Fancy meeting you here, guys."
 
Bogum and Irene waved as they watch the two pick a table on the other side of the restaurant.
 
"I'm sorry. I didn't know they'd see us here," said Irene.
 
"You knew they'd come?"
 
"Not really. But Seulgi's aunt owns this restaurant. When you asked me earlier where I wanted to go, I immediately thought of here because I always wanted to see this place. It never occurred to me that they'd be here tonight," said Irene, glancing at Seulgi and Wendy's direction. "She said she'd bring me here one time."
 
"Well, no harm was done." Bogum leaned back in his chair, a smug smile on his face. "Did you see Seulgi's face when she heard me?"
 
Irene couldn't hold off her giggle because she saw it too. "Yeah."
 
"It only means one thing. She's not over you yet. Your aim is to make sure you talk to her tomorrow. Affirmative?"
 
Irene couldn't help but smile at Bogum's soldier-like tone. "I surely will, sir," she said, giving a failed salute.
 
Bogum patted her head. "That's my girl."