Closer

HERSHE
"Hey. What's up, amazon?"
 
Irene is definitely surprised. She never thought she'd be relieved to hear someone call her amazon at that moment.
 
"W-what are you doing here?"
 
"I was about to ask you the same thing." Seulgi took a sip from the bottle she's holding.
 
"Are you following me?"
 
"Excuse me, following you? I should be the one asking you that."
 
Realizing what Seulgi said, Irene played with the handkerchief in her hands. "H-how long have you been here?"
 
"An hour ago, before you came running here like a lost child."
 
"Oh. I didn't notice you earlier."
 
"I figured that out." Apparently, Seulgi had seemed to camouflaged in the dark with her black hooded jacket and black shorts.
 
Irene said nothing. A minute ago, she was worried Seulgi would spend the night with Krystal--she's not sure why she's worried in the first place--and now she feels relieved to see Seulgi just in front of her boozing on a liquor.
 
With no warning, Seulgi gently threw a small towel on Irene's face. "Dry yourself up, you're a mess."
 
Irene frowned at the towel, wondering why Seulgi is being nice to her.
 
"Don't worry. I haven't used that one yet, princess."
 
"Oh... thanks..." Irene couldn't understand why the endearment sounded sweeter this time. "So, what are you doing here alone?"
 
"Just thinking about some random stuff. You?"
 
"I was on the phone with my mom before it rained."
 
"Ahhh."
 
"I, uh, I thought you will be with Krystal tonight."
 
Seulgi gave her a confused look. "In your room?"
 
"Yup."
 
"What am I gonna do in your room then?"
 
"Well, you know... Krystal giving you a real hickey?"
 
Seulgi was about to drink from the bottle but she stopped. "Seriously? Do you really think I'd do that?"
 
Irene nodded. She lied.
 
"What? Are you kidding me?" Seulgi put the bottle down. "I won't do something like that, at least not with a random person."
 
"Well, I thought you and Krystal were..."
 
"We're what?"
 
"I don't know... flirting?"
 
Seulgi laughed. "C'mon, Bae, seriously? Do you really think of me like that?"
 
Irene nodded hesitantly. "W-weren't you?"
 
"The last time I checked, the term 'being nice' is not synonymous with 'flirting'."
 
"You can't blame me. You're too nice to Krystal, well, to all your fangirls actually. I thought you're just playing with everyone."
 
"Well, can't I be nice to people who were nice to me too?"
 
Irene pouted. "I guess you could say that." She sat on the table with her back facing Seulgi. "Sorry."
 
"For?"
 
"For having that kind of impression on you."
 
"No worries. Were you thinking I was flirting with you too?"
 
"I didn't mean it that way." Irene knitted her brows.
 
"Ooh, do you think you're seducible?" Seulgi lightly poked her back.
 
"Arg! I hate you!"
 
Seulgi stood up and walked towards Irene, one hand in her pocket. "And what was that fangirls you mentioned a while ago?"
 
"I won't believe you if you would say that you're not aware of how many girls are swooning over you," said Irene, running her palms up and down her arms, trying to create warm friction from the cold weather.
 
Seulgi looked at her in silence before motioning the tip of the bottle on the empty space beside Irene. "Do you mind?"
 
Irene shook her head.
 
"Thanks." She sat beside Irene, slowly squeezing her body to hers, their backs touching.
 
Irene would have contested but the warm feeling of the jacket against her body made her shut up. She knew Seulgi's just trying to make her feel warmer.
 
Silence hangs between them as the rain continues pouring.
 
"Can I stay close for a while?" asked Irene.
 
Seulgi nodded. "I would have lent you my jacket but that'll leave me ."
 
Irene chuckled. "You're funny."
 
Seulgi side-glanced her. "Funny and flirty, huh?"
 
"Just funny." Irene noticed the red mark on Seulgi's cheek. "Hey. Does this one still hurt?"
 
"A bit."
 
Feeling comfortable with the warmth Seulgi's jacket brings, Irene leaned in, squeezing herself further.
 
"I'm sorry about earlier."
 
"It's okay. It's not every day I get a hickey, especially not from an amazon."
 
Irene rolled her eyes. "Stop teasing me, okay?"
 
"I'm not teasing you, Bae. I'm flirting with you!" Seulgi laughed.
 
Irene found herself laughing along. She doesn't feel uncomfortable anymore. She's not sure if it's because Seulgi had gained her trust or if it's because they are alone and she can freely let her guard down knowing that no one can see them.
 
"I guess we're stuck here until the rain stops." Seulgi sighed.
 
"Why, are you already getting bored?"
 
"No. Of course not."
 
An idea popped into Irene's mind. "Hey. Why don't we play a game while we wait?"
 
"And what kind of game do you propose?"
 
Irene tapped two fingers on her chin. "Hmm, why don't we play the 'answer a question with a question'?"
 
"Ugh, not that one." Seulgi scratched her head. "Krystal said it's a hard game."
 
"It's not hard. You just have to think carefully. Are you afraid of losing?"
 
"Hah. I'm not gonna let you win that easy, Bae."
 
"So, is that a yes, Kang?"
 
"Bring it on. What's the penalty for the loser?"
 
"The loser should do anything the winner wishes."
 
"That's fine for me. Deal?" Seulgi raised her clenched fist, asking for a fist bump.
 
"Deal." Irene smacked her fist to Seulgi's.
 
"Okay. You start the ball roll, madame."
 
"Okay." Irene put her fingers on her chin again while thinking. "How long do you think this rain will last?"
 
Seulgi took a moment to respond. "Do you want it to stop right away?"
 
"I'm just worried. If this won't stop until tomorrow, what are we gonna do here?"
 
"Why, do you think being stuck here with me is a bad idea?"
 
"But aren't you worried that I might bore you?"
 
Seulgi smiled. "Where did you get the idea that you're boring?"
 
"And where did you get the idea of me not wanting to be around you?"
 
Seulgi whipped her head to Irene, turning away immediately when their eyes met.
 
Irene's grip on the table tightened. She wanted to take it back however she doesn't want to lose. She looked over her shoulders and saw Seulgi's ears turning red.
 
"Uh... so you mean... after all the I-don't-want-you-around-me rapport you've established between us, you actually wanted us to be close?" asked Seulgi.
 
"What makes you think I want us to be close?"
 
"Well, you, you just said it a while ago, right?"
 
"Wanting to be around you means different from liking you, right?"
 
Seulgi chuckled. She takes a sip of her bottle. "Is it really that impossible for you to like me?"
 
Irene felt her face warming up with that question. "Huh, do you really think you're that charming?"
 
"Didn't you just mention a while ago that I have fangirls?"
 
"But did I say that I was one of them?"
 
Seulgi put her bottle down and sighed. "Seriously, didn't it occur to you once that you and I can be closer?"
 
"What do you mean by closer?"
 
"Are you thinking of something else aside from being friends?"
 
"If we become friends, do you think you could stick with my mood swings and tyranny?"
 
Seulgi laughed. She looked over her shoulders to Irene. "Will you believe me if I tell you I'd love to?"
 
Irene swallowed. "Are you... are you serious about what you're saying?"
 
"Do I look like I'm kidding?"
 
Irene smirked. "You're drunk, aren't you?"
 
"Do I smell like drunken to you?"
 
"Then why are you asking me those kinds of questions?"
 
"Why, are you uncomfortable in answering them?"
 
"Are you just teasing me or was that an attempt to flirt with me?"
 
"Oh, c'mon, Bae. Isn't it obvious that I'm just teasing you? Not unless you want me to flirt with you; do you want me to?"
 
"Ugh. What makes you think I want to?"
 
"Then why are you blushing, Bae?"
 
Irene's eyebrows furrowed. "Aren't you aware that your whole face is as red as a tomato, Kang?"
 
Feeling embarrassed, both looked away from each other.
 
Irene is already scolding herself for bringing that game up. She noticed the almost-empty bottle on Seulgi's right hand. She grabbed it.
 
"Hey, what's that?"
 
After downing it, Irene handed back the empty bottle to Seulgi. "Why didn't you tell me it tastes good?"
 
Seulgi looked at Irene and the bottle. "Did you... enjoy it...?"
 
"Enjoyed what?"
 
Seulgi bit her lower lip. "Uh... well... Vodka tastes good, right?"
 
Irene nodded. She stared at Seulgi for a while before finally speaking, "Can I ask you a question?"
 
"What is it?"
 
Irene shifted her position, facing Seulgi's back this time. Her hand wandered on the other woman's back like she's playing Incy Wincy Spider song.
 
"Do you believe in love at first sight?"
 
"What kind of corny question is that, Bae?"
 
"Tsk. Don't I look like I'm serious?"
 
"Are you sure you want me to answer that?"
 
"Just tell me, what's your point of view?"
 
"Well, I can't say, you know," said Seulgi, her eyes looking far away. "But I believe it's possible for you to like a person right away the moment you met. And I think that's the concept of love at first sight; getting attracted to the person on your first meeting and eventually falling deeper along the way."
 
Irene smiled. "Have you felt that recently?"
 
"Love at first sight?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"To be honest, I'm not sure."
 
"Seulgi..."
 
"Yeah?"
 
Irene moved her head closer to Seulgi's ear. "You lost."
 
"What!" Seulgi whipped her head at Irene. "Dammit. You got me there, huh?"
 
"Well, well, well..." Irene pulls back with a lazy-teasing smile on her face.
 
Although they might not have started on the right foot, what's happening now is a good thing. Irene is thankful that she finally got the chance to talk to Seulgi and finding more about her.
 
And for the first time that night, she thought it was good it rained.