Date

HERSHE
It was after Irene got home when everything sunk into her.
 
Yes, she's going out with Seulgi tomorrow, ALONE.
 
Irene gritted her teeth. The idea of them being alone again sends her shivering. She's not sure why she's feeling that way. They went for a trip to Haeundae for two days and two nights but she never felt that conscious.
 
She brought a hand to her chest as she stared endlessly at her room ceiling. They are just going out tomorrow. It's just like going out with a female friend. Yup. A casual hangout.
 
She stood up from the bed and walked towards her closet. It was after a few minutes of rummaging when the idea finally hit her.
 
Yup, she just planned on preparing on what to wear for tomorrow.
 
She ruffled her hair in frustration and sat back on the bed.
 
"No need to be anxious about it. It's just Seulgi, okay?" she told herself.
 
She put her fingernail between her teeth when she realized that it is actually Seulgi who she's going out with. The same Seulgi that the girls in the office are swooning over. It's the same Seulgi that made Joy overly jealous of Irene.
 
Irene plopped down on the bed. Somewhere in her musing, she had fallen asleep.
 
---
 
Beep...
 
Irene's eyes flew open at the sound of her incoming message alert. That's when she realized she fell asleep.
 
She sat up straight and fished for her phone under the pillows. She opened the text message and smiled.
 
From: Seulgi
 
Message: Good morning! What time would the princess be ready for her service? :)
 
Irene giggled. She typed in her reply quickly.
 
To: Seulgi
 
Message: Morning :) Just pick me up around 11 am. Mom's gonna be out for the day so I still need to do some chores.
 
From: Seulgi
 
Message: Aight! I'll see you later ;)
 
She jumped out of bed and headed downstairs. "We're going out, we're going out!"
 
---
 
9:57 am.
 
Irene glanced over at the wall clock while drying her hair with a towel. Another towel is wrapped around her body. She rummaged through her clothes like last night.
 
This isn't the first time she's going out with a friend but this is the first time that she can't really decide on what to wear.
 
"Aish. Why do I feel like this is more of a date and just a casual friendly hangout?"
 
Irene isn't a neophyte in the dating game. She'd gone out with several suitors--some men which she found annoying, turning them down in the end. She doesn't know if the problem is on her part or the boys' but she easily gets turned off once she felt that a certain guy is befriending her with the sole intention of courting her.
 
But it's different with Seulgi.
 
Seulgi could be sweet to her at some point but never made her feel she was hitting on her romantically. After learning how Seulgi's charm had shaken the majority of the female population in the office, Irene secretly wished her charm would work on Seulgi too, not because she likes her but because she wonders who could capture Seulgi's attention.
 
After an hour of checking her reflection seven times and changing her outfit every turn, Irene finally settled with a simple white blouse and a blue plaid skirt that's just a few inches above her knees.
 
Next problem: hair. Put it in a bun or let it down?
 
Irene is looking at the mirror holding her hair up with a hand, shifting angles to see which hairstyle would fit her attire. Then her phone beeped.
 
From: Seulgi
 
Message: Your service has arrived, your highness. I'll just be here anytime you're ready.
 
Irene strode across the room to her window and saw the red Suzuki Swift waiting for her.
 
That's when she started to panic. There's no turning back now. Seulgi is really there to pick her up. They are going out for real this time; no plays, no acting, just going out to have fun.
 
"Do I look okay now? Will she like what I wear? Ugh! Why am I so nervous?"
 
Irene was walking back and forth her room, fanning herself with a hand, not sure what to do anymore.
 
She let her hair down. She quickly picked up her shoulder bag on the bed and ran down, not wanting Seulgi to wait longer.
 
---
 
"Hey," said Seulgi when Irene stepped inside the car.
 
"Hey yourself."
 
There was an awkward silence after.
 
This is the opposite of what Irene imagined. She can hear Seulgi tapping fingers on the steering wheel while she was pretending to be busy looking for something inside her bag.
 
"Umm... you... umm... you look great..." said Seulgi.
 
Irene suddenly felt the car AC isn't cold enough to cool down her burning face. "T-thank you..." Her eyes moved back to peek on Seulgi. "You... you look amazing yourself..."
 
For the nth time in Irene's existence, she was once again dazzled by Seulgi's unfaltering appeal, gratified by the fact that she's going out with this hottie. The black polo shirt and a gray hoodie Seulgi's wearing matched perfectly with her hair. It's so simple yet so captivating.
 
"Thanks," said Seulgi.
 
Then there was another awkward silence.
 
"Ugh." Seulgi leaned on the steering wheel, hiding her face in her arms.
 
That was enough to call Irene from whatever planet her mind is into at the moment. "Something wrong? Are you all right?"
 
Seulgi waved a hand, still hiding her face. "I'm fine. Don't worry."
 
"Is your head aching or something?" Irene slightly rubbed Seulgi's back.
 
Seulgi shook her head, unwilling to show her face yet.
 
"Are you sure you still want to go out?" asked Irene.
 
Seulgi turned to look at Irene. "Of course, I do."
 
"Then what's the matter?"
 
Seulgi exhaled before burying her face back in her arms. "It's just that I'm so freaking nervous right now. Ugh!"
 
With all the strange feelings Irene is having since last night, she never imagined that Seulgi will be in the same boat as hers.
 
"Nervous? Why?"
 
"I don't know. I know I shouldn't be. But I can't help it."
 
Irene giggled. She ruffled the back of Seulgi's hair. "Hey. You wanna know a secret?"
 
Seulgi raised her head a bit to peek. "Secret?"
 
"Mmm-mmm." Irene nodded. "For the record, you're the only person who made me so conscious about how I'd look today."
 
The tip of Seulgi's lips curved up into a small smile. "You're kidding me."
 
"I'm not."
 
"Seriously?"
 
"Yes. Yes. Don't you believe me?"
 
"I'd want to. But it's too good to be true."
 
"Hah. You're giving me too much credit." Irene shook her head. "Would you like proof that you're not dreaming?"
 
Seulgi raised her head higher this time, looking curious.
 
"How about this?" Irene leaned forward to pinch and wiggle Seulgi's cheeks, tilting her head from one side to another.
 
"Mmmmmm! Who's the cute kid now, huh?" she said in a cute little voice like she's talking to a five-year-old.
 
Seulgi chuckled. "I might not be a kid anymore but I won't argue with the cute."
 
"Conceited brat." Irene playfully slapped Seulgi's cheek.
 
Feeling a bit embarrassed, Seulgi scratched the top of her head. "I was kidding, okay?"
 
Seeing the slightly disarrayed hair, Irene's uncontrollable hand moved on its own to rearrange the mess. Seulgi, although was surprised, stayed still, afraid that any move she'll make would ruin the moment.
 
"There." Irene reclined to admire her art.
 
"Do I look like someone who's qualified to take you out on a date now?" Seulgi put her index and forefinger to her chin.
 
Irene smiled. "I think so."
 
"So, where do you want to go?" Seulgi's hand made its way to the gearshift.
 
"You haven't planned on what to do yet?"
 
"I have plans but I just want to make sure I listen to what you have in mind first." Seulgi picked up something from the dashboard and handed Irene two tickets. "What do you think?"
 
Irene looked at the tickets closely. "Theme park?"
 
Seulgi grimaced slightly. "Not your thing?"
 
"Definitely my thing. You think you can do this with me?" Irene smirked.
 
"I can. Those are just rides. Pfff. I'm more worried about you not enjoying it."
 
"'Just rides', huh?" Irene raised her hands to make quotation mark gestures with her fingers. "I was raised in a theme park, Seulgi. You sure you can keep up with me?"
 
"Ha! I walk on the wild side. I laugh at the face of danger," said Seulgi, imitating Simba's voice from The Lion King movie.
 
"We'll see then. Let's go."