Breakfast

HERSHE
Seulgi discreetly peeked from the door entrance, couldn't believe Irene is really there.
 
From her view in the hallway, Seulgi can see Irene's back. She pulled away her sleeve to look at her wristwatch. It's only 7:07 am. She wonders what time Irene arrived.
 
She peeked through the door again, observing Irene who is browsing something on the internet. She's wearing a black blouse and her hair isn't tied today.
 
Seulgi sighed. She thinks she could do that all day without complaint, just looking at Irene's back and observing her like that.
 
Irene moved to her left to check on something. Seulgi immediately hid beside the door, afraid that she'll get caught peeking.
 
Seulgi checked the time. It's already 7:11 am. She'll be dead if Irene won't see her by 7:15 am.
 
She entered the door slowly, tiptoeing. Although she knows that her sneakers won't make any annoying sound on the carpeted floor, she's still afraid to create anything that could catch Irene's attention. The idea of being along with Irene today somehow frightens her. She'd love to spend time with Irene but she doesn't know how to start a conversation.
 
"And what do you think you're doing?" Irene's irritated tone echoed.
 
Seulgi turned nervously. "Uh... hi..."
 
"Did it not occur to you that I can hear every movement you make? It's just the two of us here."
 
"Uh... yeah... well..."
 
"It's almost 7:15 now, how long are you planning to make me wait?"
 
"Uh... I'm just dropping my things in my station..."
 
"Make it quick."
 
"Yes, ma'am!" Seulgi hurried to her department.
 
---
 
The pantry looks more vibrant today because no one is there yet to disturb their little date. They settled on one table and sat facing each other.
 
"Hmm, what did you bring today?" asked Seulgi, curiously looking at the lunchbox in front of her.
 
"My mom prepared jajangmyeon and omelet." Irene opened the covers.
 
"Woooow! I'm so famished now!" Seulgi clapped.
 
"I'm hungry too. I hope you'll like it."
 
Seulgi picked up one omelet with her fork. She raised her eyebrows after a bite. "Mmm, this is good! Your mom sure knows how to cook."
 
"Now, that's what you call a real breakfast."
 
"How about you, do you cook?" asked Seulgi as she resumes eating.
 
Irene picked something for herself too. "A bit, but I find it tiring sometimes. Was never a fan of recipe books."
 
"Why?"
 
"I don't know. I just don't enjoy cooking. It's too boring for me."
 
"You don't have plans of cooking for future hubby?"
 
"Well, I might change my mind. I don't know yet. But right now, I really don't want to," said Irene, taking another bite of the food. "I always imagined myself being paired with someone who loves to cook."
 
Seulgi abruptly stopped whatever she's doing and stared at Irene.
 
"What?" asked Irene.
 
"I just... I just love the food." Seulgi resumes eating. "So, it's the end of the year this weekend. What are your plans?"
 
"Our usual routine is to visit dad's grave in the morning and then stay at my cousin's place for the New Year's Eve celebration."
 
"Oh, really? I didn't know that your dad..." Seulgi trailed off.
 
"Yeah, when I was still in the 8th grade."
 
"Oh, I'm sorry."
 
"It's okay. You've also lost one of yours too, right?"
 
"Yeah. Too bad for us..." Seulgi pouted.
 
"How about you, any plans? Don't tell me you're all alone again?" asked Irene.
 
Seulgi shook her head. "I'm going to Taiwan. My dad's there right now. We'll be celebrating New Year's Eve together."
 
"That's good to hear. At least you have something to do that day."
 
"Yeah. It's not every day we get to see each other so we make sure that we won't let occasions like this pass by just like that."
 
"And you should see your dad once in a while too. He surely misses you from time to time."
 
"Well, he does, if he doesn't have a girlfriend to distract him," Seulgi joshed.
 
"How I wish my mom would entertain a suitor to distract her from work," said Irene.
 
Seulgi looked up from the food. "Do you think it's a good idea to set up a blind date for your mom and my dad?"
 
"Do you think your dad will like my mom?"
 
"I'm sure he will. You're pretty, where else could you get your looks from, right?"
 
Irene raised an eyebrow. "You think I'm pretty?"
 
"Oh, c'mon, Bae. Let's be honest here. Yes, I think you're pretty... pretty ugly. Hahaha!"
 
Irene glared at her. "Yah."
 
"Besides, I love your mom's cooking. It's a plus point," Seulgi pointed at the food.
 
Irene rested her chin on her hand. "Seulgi, if your dad and my mom will end up together, what will become of us?"
 
Seulgi bit her chopsticks, thinking. She realized that if her dad and Irene's mom marry each other, then it'll make Irene and her sort of relatives. "It's... it's a bad idea, Irene. Let's forget about it."
 
"Agreed. Bad idea."
 
The two turned their attention to the door when someone came in.
 
"Hello there, Seulgi. You're early today, huh?" the woman said when she passed by their table, giving Seulgi a quick tap on the shoulder.
 
Seulgi's head followed the woman who will get a coffee from the vending machine.
 
"Hi, Eve, 'sup?"
 
The woman pressed something on the vending machine. "I'm okay. What are your plans for the vacation?"
 
"I'm traveling."
 
"Wow, where are you fooling around?"
 
"Somewhere in nearby countries. You?"
 
"Just staying home." The woman grabbed the cup, walked towards them, and touched Seulgi on the shoulder again. "Bring me back something special, okay?"
 
Seulgi smiled. "Sure." She pointed at her food. "You wanna join us?"
 
"I better not," said the woman, glancing at Irene. "I'll go ahead."
 
After the door latched, Irene spoke, "Eve, huh? How did you get to know her?"
 
"Mmm, should I not know my colleagues?"
 
"How long have you been here again?"
 
"Mmm. Almost five months..."
 
"You know what, I've been here for over two years and I don't have any idea of that woman's name until today," said Irene. "And you, you've been here for just a few months, and it seems like you already know everybody."
 
"Well..." Seulgi tried to recollect how she got acquainted with Eve. "Eric introduced her to me."
 
"Ahh. Eric."
 
"And we chat sometimes, you know. Something wrong?"
 
"Nothing. I just didn't realize you really are that popular."
 
"Don't be jealous?" Seulgi smirked.
 
"Excuse me?" Irene scowled. "You didn't see how that woman glared at me. It seems like I've put myself in danger today just by having breakfast with you."
 
"Glared at you? Why would she do that?" asked Seulgi.
 
"It's because you are flirty, Kang."
 
Seulgi raised her chopsticks. "The term is 'nice', Bae, 'nice'."
 
Irene rolled her eyes. "Whatever. By the way, I think we should finish this right away. I believe this breakfast might have served as a catalyst for 'eliminate Irene' faction here in the office."
 
Seulgi got confused. "What are you saying?"
 
Irene crossed her arms on the table. "People are starting to come in. Your fangirls are seeing me eating with you. You're just not noticing it but they are glaring at me, you know. They are jealous of me."
 
"What are you saying?" Seulgi laughed. "Why would they be jealous, we were only eating here?"
 
"That's exactly the reason. They obviously don't want me to be the one in front of you now."
 
"That's... that's impossible..."
 
"Oh, c'mon, Seulgi. You didn't see how that Eve looked at me. If a glare could kill people, I'm probably dead by now," said Irene.
 
Seulgi smiled because of the exaggeration. "I'm sorry about that."
 
"Hmp. What would you do if someone attacks me?"
 
"They wouldn't go that far."
 
"From the way that Eve glared at me, I think they can, Seulgi. Seriously."
 
Seulgi can't erase the smile on her face. "You know what, let me make it up to you."
 
"How?"
 
"Let me drive you home today. Consider it as gratitude for the breakfast."
 
"But your fangirls might see us together."
 
"Oh. Then let's meet at the parking lot discreetly. I'll go first and then I'll wait for you."
 
Irene finally smiled. "Okay. Sounds like a plan."
 
"You up for the deal?" Seulgi raised her hand for a fist bump.
 
Irene smacked her fist to Seulgi's. "Deal."
 
---
 
"Now, where is that lady?"
 
Seulgi tapped her fingers on the steering wheel, having doubts now if Irene is showing or not. She's been in her car for the last fifteen minutes and there's no trace of Irene yet anywhere.
 
After a few more seconds, she finally got a glimpse of a shadow walking towards the entrance. She smiled. She knows that shadow well.
 
"Are you serious?"
 
Irene had her shades on with her shawl wrapped around her head. Although Seulgi thinks it's attractive, she knows the reason for Irene's appearance. She opened the door to the passenger's seat to let Irene in.
 
"Sorry to keep you waiting." Irene pulled the door and locked it. She removed her shawl and started fixing her hair.
 
"What's that?" asked Seulgi.
 
"It's called a disguise, Kang. I'm pretty sure you've heard about it."
 
"I know, but do you really have to do that?"
 
"I just don't want your fangirls to notice me. The pressure is still high for now."
 
They drove out of that building. While on the road, both were silent in the car while listening to the radio. Seulgi was peeking on Irene from time to time with her peripheral vision while Irene was looking out the window.
 
Getting filled with Irene's cuteness, Seulgi couldn't hold off her feelings and produced an audible chuckle.
 
Irene noticed it. "Why are you smiling?"
 
"Nothing," said Seulgi. She brushed aside her bangs off her eyes.
 
That's when Irene's attention got diverted to Seulgi's hair. She stretched her arm to touch it.
 
"Hey--" Seulgi flinched. "W-what are you doing?"
 
"I just noticed that your hair is long," said Irene, Seulgi's hair with her fingers, "and it's soft."
 
"Yeah, but at least let me know first if you're touching me, I'm driving, you know..."
 
Irene leaned closer. "I'm just wondering, don't you like it shorter?"
 
"I like it shorter, like about shoulder length, since it's more manageable and comfortable."
 
"Then why let it grow?"
 
"Well..."
 
"Well...?"
 
Seulgi doesn't have any reason at all, so she told the truth, "Joy. She wanted it this way."
 
Irene didn't respond.
 
"She used to pony my hair before when she goes to my place," continued Seulgi, her eyes on the road. "She says that I look like a cute little kid with that."
 
"You maintained your hair for her to see it when she comes back?" asked Irene, getting a nod from Seulgi. "Do you want her back?"
 
It took time for Seulgi to answer. "Honestly, I don't know. If you asked me that question six months ago there's no doubt I'd say yes. But now, I'm not sure anymore."
 
"Why?"
 
"As you said, Joy and I really need to talk. Maybe we need closure. Or maybe we just need to figure out what we really feel for each other. I'm not even sure how I'd feel if I'd see her with her boyfriend."
 
"What if... what if you saw them and you realized that you're jealous of her boyfriend, what would you do?"
 
Seulgi hasn't thought of that yet so she tried to imagine the scenario in her mind.
 
"In case I'll get overly jealous of the dude then it will just prove that I still love her. If that happens then..." she paused, still imagining things in her mind, "... then I might as well try, to the best of my luck, to win her back."
 
They were silent again until they reached Irene's house. Seulgi was a bit disappointed because their trip wasn't as fun as she was expecting. Irene seemed to have had mood swings.
 
"Seulgi..."
 
"Yeah?"
 
"Do you still remember the game we played at the resort?"
 
Seulgi smiled. "How could I forget that? You tricked me to my defeat."
 
Irene smiled at the memory. "Do you remember the deal we made?"
 
"You said that the loser should do anything the winner wishes, right?"
 
"I've already decided on what I'd like you to do."
 
Seulgi felt troubled seeing the sly smile on Irene's face. "What is it?"
 
"Let it be until the end of the year, but on the first day of next year," Irene stopped and pointed a finger, "I want you to get a haircut."
 
"Please tell me you're not serious."
 
"I am, Kang. I am."
 
"B-but that's--"
 
"No more buts. I've made up my mind."
 
Seulgi's jaw dropped.
 
"And if you won't do that, I won't talk to you again, ever," said Irene. "Got it?"
 
A smile of defeat slipped across Seulgi's face. "Oh, Bae."
 
"Bye, Seul. Thanks for the ride." Then she went out and pushed the car door closed.
 
---
 
Seulgi entered her room, closed the door, and threw her keys on the table. She sat on the couch, bringing both her hands to her nape. She looked up at the ceiling, her mind flying somewhere else.
 
It was just last Saturday when this place was so luminous.
 
She smiled. Irene has been continually lingering on her thoughts these past few days. She may not admit it at first but Irene has been her source of happiness lately, her source of excitement, a reason she's so excited to go to the office every day.
 
She recalled the moments when Irene was sitting at her dining, how Irene looked gorgeous in her shirt. She remembered Irene's sweet smile and how it sends her to ecstasy every time. The way Irene calls her name, it's like a lullaby in her ears. Everything about Irene just invites Seulgi.
 
It doesn't matter what Irene does: laugh at her, , or scold her. Seulgi feels like she wants to surrender herself to Irene.
 
And then it all started coming back to her: the first day they talked at the ladies' room, the first sarcastic smile Irene gave her in the coaster, the first time Irene called her by her name, the first time they talked alone in the rain, the game they played while it was raining, the warmth of her body, Irene being drunk, her sweet scent, her lovely smile, her beautiful back. Everything is just all coming back. Seulgi even had to shift her position on the couch to contain the emotional rush in her chest.
 
She shook her head and laughed at herself. She put her right hand on her chest, feeling the fast beat of her heart. She took a deep breath once again.
 
She knows it may sound crazy.
 
Yes, crazy.
 
But she knows there's no point denying it. Otherwise, she'd just be lying to herself.
 
And all of this rollercoaster of emotions she's feeling, it's pointing in one direction.
 
She smiled one last time before finally admitting it to herself.
 
Yes, she's already fallen in love with Bae Irene.