Confession

HERSHE
"Guys, let's have some fun tonight." Amber placed the Aftershock bucket at the center of the table.
 
Joy picked up a shot glass from the bucket and realized what was brought to them. "Wow, Amber. You wanna get smashed up tonight?"
 
"Well, it's not every day we get to see each other like this, you now."
 
"But you're still driving home, aren't you?"
 
"I changed my mind. I'll be getting a room here for tonight."
 
"Yeah, you better. I don't want drunk-driving accidents happening anymore," said Joy, raising an eyebrow.
 
Amber burst into a loud guffaw. She high-fived Joy. "That's my girl!"
 
"Jeez. You guys are bullying me," said Seulgi as she sits beside Irene.
 
"Are you going to drink too?" Amber asked Irene, handling a shot glass to Seulgi.
 
Irene smiled sheepishly. "I have low alcohol tolerance. I don't want Seulgi carrying me back to our room later."
 
"Come one. Let's all get wasted tonight." Amber raised another shot glass for Irene to take.
 
"Nah. Let's not force her to drink," said Seulgi. "Remember the last time she got drunk? She couldn't walk on her own because her legs were numb. The next morning, she can't remember a thing that happened."
 
"Yeah. Let Irene pass for now so she could carry Seulgi back to their room," said Sungjae, laughing.
 
Irene pulled Seulgi by her arm. "Sungjae has a point. If Seulgi is planning to drink, I might as well watch over her later."
 
Amber's eyebrows rose. "Ooh. That's so sweet of you, Irene." She winked at Seulgi.
 
Seulgi knew what it meant. She turned to Irene when the latter tapped her arm. "Hmm?"
 
Irene leaned closer and lowered her voice, "What took you so long?"
 
This is one of those moments when Seulgi feels like they aren't pretending. "Sorry. Amber and I had a short talk."
 
"Just don't leave me again like that. Take me with you then," said Irene, unaware that she's jutting her lower lip out.
 
Seulgi knew that this is a good sign for her confession later. Who knows, Irene might say yes to her.
 
---
 
They finally decided to call it a night after two hours.
 
"So... we had a blast, guys..." said Amber, trying hard to get up from her chair. She walked towards Seulgi and Irene to give both a hug. "I totally enjoyed tonight."
 
"Where are you going?" asked Irene.
 
"I need to go ahead. I gotta book a room..." Amber walked towards Joy and Sungjae this time, struggling to maintain her balance.
 
"You're gonna... book... a room? Can you... even walk... without stumbling?" said Seulgi, still trying to act cool even if she's wasted as Amber. She knows she got it bad because the room won't stop spinning.
 
"How about you, how are you feeling now?" asked Irene, leaning closer to Seulgi, trying to get a view of her face.
 
"I'm so dizzy, baby. Ugh. I feel nauseous..." Seulgi leaned down on the table, resting her head against her arms.
 
"Let's get back to our room then." Irene ruffled Seulgi's hair. "Can you even walk?"
 
"Give me a few more minutes to rest... I'm so dizzy..."
 
"Happy birthday, chick..." Amber went to hug Joy and Sungjae. "I had a great night..."
 
"Thanks. You think you can book a room yourself?" asked Joy who's slightly drunk too.
 
"I got it..." Amber raised her thumb. She took a few steps but ended up holding onto a chair for support.
 
Joy raised her head from her boyfriend's shoulder. "I think you better assist her, Sungjae."
 
"Yeah, I think you're right. Didn't know the three of you could drink like that." He chuckled. "Could you stand or do you want me to come back here for you later?"
 
"I'm dizzy. Pick me up after, please?"
 
"No probs." Sungjae looked at Irene who's rubbing Seulgi's back. "Irene, could you help me assist Amber for a while? We'll get back here asap to pick up these two drunkards."
 
"Sure." Irene leaned closer to Seulgi again. "We'll just assist Amber and will be back, okay?"
 
Seulgi grabbed her arm. "Make it quick, honey... okay? I've got something to tell you..."
 
Irene smiled. "I will be back before you know it."
 
---
 
"All right. I'll talk to the receptionist to book a room for her. I'll be back," said Sungjae after they assisted Amber to sit on the couch in the hotel reception area.
 
"Okay. We'll be waiting here," said Irene.
 
Unfortunately, due to some unknown circumstances, booking a room at this hour is taking them more time than usual. Irene is staring at the wall clock near the entrance. They have been waiting there for over fifteen minutes and Sungjae is still talking to the staff.
 
"Tsk." Irene rubbed her neck irritably.
 
"You seem weary..." Amber murmured from the side.
 
Irene turned to look at Amber, surprised the latter is still awake. "I'm just wondering why it's taking them long."
 
Amber slightly tilted her head to observe Irene. "You look like you're worried about something else..."
 
"Well, I'm worried about Seulgi. I left her alone there with Joy."
 
"They wouldn't go anywhere, Irene. They're both drunk."
 
"I know. But Seulgi is waiting for me to get back there."
 
Amber shifted her body to face Irene. "Are you really worried about Seulgi or are you more worried about the idea that Joy is alone with her?"
 
"Huh?"
 
"I'm just wondering. You two were only pretending in front of Joy, right?"
 
"Y-yeah. Why?"
 
Amber pointed a finger at Irene's henna tattoo. "Then why do I feel like everything is real?"
 
Irene couldn't answer. Good thing Amber finally passed out after that.
 
---
 
Seulgi is still resting her head on the table when she felt someone sat beside her.
 
"Irene... let's go back to our room now..." she said, groping for that person's hand and squeezing it. "I've got something important to tell you..."
 
"She isn't here yet, bear." Joy squeezed her hand back.
 
Seulgi raised her head and let go of Joy's hand immediately.
 
"Oh... sorry..." She went back resting her head on the table as the gravity is pulling her head down. "I didn't know it was you..."
 
"The bar is about to close now. Let's go."
 
"No..." Seulgi refused. "I'm gonna wait for Irene here..."
 
"Well, I'm gonna assist you to Irene, bear. Come on now..."
 
"Let's just wait for her to get back here, chick... I don't want Irene seeing us together alone..."
 
There were silence and a sigh.
 
"I'll bring you to her, I promise," said Jou. "Sungjae and Irene left thirty minutes ago. Maybe something happened at the reception. Let's meet up with them."
 
Seulgi slightly raised her head. "You sure they're still there?"
 
A waiter called Joy's attention signaling that they are already closing. She went back to Seulgi.
 
"I am not sure. But the staff here already asked us to leave. We should go now."
 
"Oh... okay..." Seulgi slowly rose from her chair. The entire room is still spinning, making her slightly lose her balance. "Oops..."
 
"Oh, Seulgi." Joy put her arms around Seulgi's waist to help her. "Can you walk?"
 
"Yes, ma'am..." Seulgi smiled at Joy, putting her left arm around the latter's shoulder. "This is like the old days, huh?"
 
"You used to drink a lot before instead of going to school."
 
"And you used to pick me up every single time, right?"
 
"Yeah. You really are a spoiled brat." Joy chuckled as she leads Seulgi to walk out of that place.
 
---
 
Sungjae approached Irene. His irritation is obvious even with his angelic face. "They are having some system issues."
 
"Is it okay now?"
 
"I'm still waiting for approval. How's she?"
 
Irene looked at Amber. "She's completely passed out."
 
"Jeez. They really got it bad." Sungjae shoved his hands into his pockets and turned to look outside. "I wonder how Joy and Seulgi are doing now."
 
Irene's eyes wandered somewhere else. The thought of Seulgi being alone with Joy hasn't left her mind since she sat on that couch.
 
"Mr. Sungjae?" the staff called. Sungjae excused himself and approached the receptionist.
 
Irene couldn't be happier when she saw the receptionist handling a keycard to Sungjae. Sungjae went back to them with the keycard in his hand.
 
"Her room's on the 3rd floor. Let's get her there now."
 
---
 
"Where are they?" Joy mumbled as she looks around the lobby area.
 
"Urgh..." Seulgi covered with a hand.
 
"A-are you throwing up?" Joy panicked.
 
Seulgi placed another hand on her stomach. She closed her eyes, hoping it won't happen yet.
 
"What's wrong, bear?"
 
After a few seconds, the nauseous feeling finally subsided.
 
"Please take me straight to my room before I throw up here," said Seulgi.
 
"Okay. Try to hold it though for a little while. I don't want you throwing up in the elevator." Joy led Seulgi to walk.
 
---
 
"Thanks for the help, Irene," said Sungjae, feeling relieved. "I wouldn't be able to do this without you.
 
Irene is sitting on the bed and just finished tucking Amber.
 
"No problem, it's not every day the three of them get reunited like this," she said.
 
Sungjae glanced at his wristwatch. "We've been gone too long now. We better go back."
 
"Yes. I think we should now."
 
---
 
Seulgi ran straight to the bathroom after Joy opened the door.
 
"Uuurrrrghhhh..."
 
Joy stood by the door, shaking her head. She switched on the faucet for Seulgi.
 
Seulgi washed her face. The dizziness had partly subsided because of that. Once done, she slowly slid down the tiled wall into a sitting position.
 
Joy bent down and brushed some stray bangs away Seulgi's face. "Are you okay, Seulgi?"
 
Although everything is still spinning for her, Seulgi felt something inside kicking in after hearing that line from Joy.
 
She looked straight into Joy's eyes. "Chick."
 
Joy stood up. "Come on. I'll help you to bed."
 
---
 
Irene and Sungjae saw the closed sign on the door. They looked at each other and sighed.
 
"Mr. Sungjae..." a man called from behind.
 
"Hey, Paul," said Sungjae. "Have you seen Joy?"
 
"I think I saw Ms. Joy and a friend of hers at the lobby area about ten minutes ago." Paul pointed at the hotel's direction.
 
"Do you think they went back to our rooms by themselves?" Sungjae asked Irene.
 
"I think so. Joy isn't as drunk as Amber and Seulgi."
 
"Mr. Sungjae, I need to talk to you something concerning tomorrow's shoot." Paul handed out a paper.
 
Sungjae reviewed the papers and discussed things with Paul.
 
Irene couldn't wait to find where Seulgi is.
 
---
 
"How are you feeling?" asked Joy after tucking Seulgi to bed.
 
"My head... it's throbbing..."
 
"I better go back to my room now, bear. I don't want your girlfriend to see us in this situation." Joy stood straight. She was about to walk when Seulgi grabbed her by her arm.
 
"Irene..."
 
"Hmm?" Although she knows Seulgi is looking for Irene, Joy didn't fight back when Seulgi pulled her to sit back on the bed.
 
"I... I need to tell you something..."
 
Joy waited for Seulgi to continue.
 
"I... I... I'm... I'm in love... with you..." Seulgi spoke softly under her breath.
 
Joy smiled. She cupped Seulgi's face with a hand. "You better go to sleep now, sweet-lover."
 
Seulgi didn't react. Little snores followed.
 
There was a long silence in the room. It's past midnight and the entire hotel is now quiet. The sound of the central air conditioning running produces white noise.
 
Joy stayed in the same position for a few more minutes, staring at Seulgi. She was ruffling Seulgi's hair affectionately when there was a movement by the door entrance.
 
"Erhm..."
 
Joy removed her hand and stood up. "Irene..."
 
Irene leaned against the door frame with her arms folded on her chest.
 
"I had to take Seulgi here because the bar staff told us they are already closing," explained Joy.
 
"Mmm-mmm..." Irene nodded. She walked towards the bed to check on Seulgi.
 
"We thought we could find you in the lobby but we were wrong," said Joy. "I had to take Seulgi back here because she's close to throwing up."
 
Irene fixed the blanket on Seulgi's body before she turns to Joy. "How was she earlier?"
 
"She threw up in the bathroom when we got in."
 
"Oh, okay." Irene nodded again and went back to check on Seulgi's temperature with her hand.
 
"Is Sungjae with you?"
 
"I left him with a guy named Paul downstairs. I think they are talking about the photoshoot tomorrow."
 
"I see."
 
"Thanks, Joy. Thanks for assisting Seulgi here."
 
"Don't worry about it," said Joy. "By the way. I'd like to thank you too for bothering yourselves to come here for my birthday."
 
Irene raised an eyebrow. She's not sure if Joy is serious or not.
 
"I know you have plans you canceled just to make it here today," added Joy. "I want to let you know that I really, really, really appreciate that."
 
Irene felt Joy's sincerity, but she didn't let her guard down. "It's okay. It's your birthday. Seulgi wouldn't let it pass like that."
 
Joy forced a smile. "It might be hard to believe it. But Seulgi, she doesn't want to be here. I know it. I've felt it."
 
Irene somehow felt bad for Joy knowing she is right.
 
Joy shifted her gaze to the floor. "She's only here because of you. That's why I'd have to thank you for that, for dragging her along here. It means a lot to me."
 
Irene pressed her lips together, thinking of what to say. She feels like she's talking to a different Joy now, a completely different person from the one she talked to before. Maybe this is the chick that Seulgi once admired so much.
 
"Thanks again, Irene." Joy turned around. "Oh." She turned back. "I know you never expect to hear this from me, but... thanks... thanks for being there for Seulgi."
 
Again, Irene was dumbfounded by Joy's different character today.
 
"It may not seem like it, but Seulgi, she's always alone and lonely," said Joy. "You might not believe it but I'm happy knowing that there's someone like you taking care of her now."
 
Irene was mute with guilt. Everything Joy is thankful for right now is only a play, a show, an act, with the sole purpose of finding out if Joy still has feelings for Seulgi.
 
"Umm. I should go now." Joy turned to walk towards the door.
 
"Why did you leave her, Joy?" asked Irene.
 
Joy halted and stood rooted on the ground.
 
"Didn't you love her?" Irene followed up.
 
It took a few more seconds before Joy slowly turned her body to Irene. Her face is serious and calm like she's ready to confess something.
 
Irene felt the hard thud of her heart in her chest. She took a deep breath, preparing herself for the answer.
 
Joy ran her fingers through her hair and let out a small smile. "I did, Irene. And I still do."