Girlfriend

HERSHE
"Hey, honey. I've been looking everywhere for you."
 
Seulgi is undeniably shocked to see Irene there. Even so, Irene's presence gave her momentary solace. She was on the verge of falling from the cliff when Irene came in to save her.
 
"Honey, are you okay?" asked Irene, holding Seulgi's face.
 
Seulgi peeked at Joy for a second just to see that the latter was surprised too with Irene's sudden appearance.
 
"H-how did you know I'm here?" she asked Irene.
 
"I was looking for you and noticed that your IM status was idle, so I asked Eric." Irene pulled her hand away to intertwine their hands together.
 
And Seulgi loved the warmth of Irene's hand on hers. She looked at Joy. "Uh, Joy, this is--"
 
"Irene, right?" Joy's eyes were on Irene who nodded at her. She shifted back to Seulgi. "Have you forgotten your girlfriend and I have already met?"
 
The term girlfriend is too much for Seulgi to take. "Uh. Yeah. I forgot..." She scratched her head.
 
"Seulgi has always been forgetful lately because she's too busy." Irene brushed a stray hair from Seulgi's eyes. "Right, honey?"
 
Seulgi felt Irene squeezing her hand. She nodded. "Yeah. Yeah..."
 
Joy studied Seulgi for a moment. "Your hair was long when we met last time. Decided to finally cut your hair short?"
 
"It's her request." Seulgi pointed at her fake girlfriend who smiled.
 
"Ahh." Joy nodded.
 
"Um. Could you excuse us for a while?" Seulgi asked Joy. "Irene and I need to talk outside for a moment."
 
"Sure. We'll just be right here."
 
Seulgi didn't waste any second and dragged Irene along outside the room.
 
---
 
They let go of each other's hands once they are outside.
 
"Are you all right?" asked Irene, looking worriedly at her.
 
Seulgi evaluated herself for a second. "I think... I think I'm okay."
 
"Are you sure?"
 
"Yeah. I'm cool."
 
Irene exhaled. "Okay. That's good to hear."
 
"How did you know I'm here again?" asked Seulgi, still confused.
 
"I was looking for you because I needed to hand over the materials from Taemin. Eric told me you're here."
 
Seulgi hummed. "And are you aware that Joy is here?"
 
Irene nodded. "I saw Joy's picture on the outline Eric showed me."
 
"Oh."
 
"I went here because I was worried. It might affect you. It might affect your work. You lost the ability to speak the last time Joy showed up in your apartment."
 
"Oh." Seulgi scratched the back of her neck, feeling embarrassed. "Thanks, Irene."
 
"Were you affected?" asked Irene.
 
"I don't know." Seulgi shrugged. "I'm confused. I thought she won't affect me anymore. But hearing her speak the way she spoke to me before made me feel something."
 
"Something like?"
 
"It's hard to explain." Seulgi smiled. "But I felt nostalgic a while ago there. Suddenly it felt like everything was coming back to me."
 
"Were you jealous of her boyfriend?"
 
Seulgi chuckled as she shakes her head. "The dude is handsome."
 
"So, what exactly did you feel when you saw them together?" asked Irene, a little impatient now.
 
"Um... I don't really know..." Seulgi shrugged again. "Because everything went okay when you came in, you know."
 
Seeing the smile on Irene's face made Seulgi look away. At least Irene didn't feel awkward.
 
"I have to admit I felt something in there," Seulgi continued, looking at her hand that's holding Irene's earlier. "But when I saw you I went back to my senses and felt like I don't give a damn about them anymore. I was almost falling there. I thought of giving in and accepting my defeat, but then you came and everything just lightened up."
 
This time, Irene's smile grew sweeter. "Did I come around at the right time?"
 
"Yeah. I didn't know what to do before you showed up. I have to thank you for that, Irene."
 
"I'm relieved to hear that."
 
Seulgi had to catch her breath first before she could say anything. Seeing that smile gives her the feeling as if she's seeing it for the first time. The effect is just the same every single time.
 
"But I think you need not pretend we're together. Joy might believe it," said Seulgi.
 
"Don't worry. Joy always thought we're together, right? Let's just make it real," said Irene.
 
Seulgi blinked. "Huh?"
 
"What?"
 
"Did you just say that you want us to make it real?"
 
Irene looked like she realized what she said. "Oh. No. I mean, let's just make it seem like real."
 
Seulgi looked down on the floor again, hating herself for thinking it was a confession already.
 
"Irene, can I ask you something?" said Seulgi. "Why are you doing this?"
 
It took Irene a moment to respond.
 
"I don't want her to think you're not happy with your life. I want her to feel that you're complete and contented even without her."
 
Seulgi bit her lower lip. She didn't know that Irene cared for her to that extent.
 
"You're happy right?" asked Irene.
 
"I am happy," said Seulgi.
 
"Besides, it's a win-win situation for you. Who knows, you might get her back because of me."
 
Seulgi furrowed her brows. "Hold it right there. Don't tell me you're planning to make her jealous?"
 
Irene traced her fingers on Seulgi's sleeve as if she's fixing something. "Not intentionally. But maybe. If she gets jealous, then you'll know she's not over you yet."
 
"Are you sure you really want to do this?"
 
"The first time Joy and I met she already thought we're dating, right?" Irene looked up at Seulgi. "And I seriously believe there's no point in denying it. Let's just use that misconception to find out if she still has feelings for you."
 
"What if she won't get jealous?"
 
"Then it'll be clear she's over you. You can completely move on with your life."
 
"And what if she gets jealous?"
 
Irene looked away, taking a deep breath. "If she gets jealous, then you'll get her back."
 
Seulgi got confused with what she's feeling now. She knows, a hundred percent, that she loves Irene. However, there's a part in her that still longs for Joy, and she doesn't know how dominant that part is.
 
What would she do if Joy wants to get back to her? She doesn't want to lose Irene either.
 
"Consider it as a favor from a friend, Seulgi, a favor from me," said Irene. "Let's just do this and get over with it. The sooner you'll find out what you mean to her, the sooner you'll know what to do next--move on or be together again."
 
Seulgi let out a loud sigh. "I'm more worried that you might not be comfortable doing this with me."
 
"Psh. You worry too much. Loosen up. In case you didn't know I was a part of the drama club when I was a student."
 
Seulgi raised an eyebrow.
 
Irene raised an eyebrow in return. "Don't tell me you don't want to do it with me?"
 
"That's not what I meant." Seulgi sighed. "We both know that it might involve some... you know. I just don't want you to feel uncomfortable around me because of that."
 
"If it just involves cuddling, touching, and clinging to each other, I don't mind that," said Irene casually. "In case I haven't told you this yet, I'm very comfortable around you and things like that won't bother me."
 
Seulgi felt surprised and happy about that. But she tried to maintain a calm facade.
 
"Anyway, it's just for a day. I guess it won't do us any harm," said Seulgi.
 
"So, are we cool?" Irene raised her hand for a fist bump.
 
"Yeah. Cool." Seulgi smiled as she bumps her fist to Irene's. "Let's go back."
 
Seulgi was about to walk away but Irene called her out by clearing .
 
"You're forgetting something, honey." Irene stretched her arm out.
 
Seulgi couldn't believe this is happening. She smiled.
 
"Yeah. Sorry." She locked hands with Irene as she pulls her back inside.
 
Seulgi thinks she could get used to this.
 
---
 
"Look who's here!" said Sungjae, excited to see Seulgi getting back with a beautiful woman.
 
"By the way, this is Irene," said Seulgi, intentionally omitting 'my girlfriend' in the introduction. "Irene, this is Sungjae. He's one of the models I'm taking pictures of today. He's Joy's boyfriend."
 
Sungjae immediately offered his hand. "Nice meeting you, Irene. You're Seulgi's girlfriend, right?"
 
Irene couldn't understand why but she felt shy this time thinking they are officially pretending to be real.
 
"Yeah. It's nice meeting you too, Sungjae."
 
"You're turning red." Sungjae grinned.
 
Feeling more embarrassed, Irene buried her face on Seulgi's sleeve and tightened her grip on Seulgi's hand.
 
And so the photoshoot began. While watching, Irene realized this is Seulgi's real passion. She can see how much the latter looks comfortable doing what she's doing now, doing it like she owns it.
 
After calling it a day, Seulgi approached her with the DSLR in her hand. "Bored yet?"
 
Irene shook her head. "Nope. I enjoyed watching you guys. This is my first time to witness how magazine covers are made."
 
Seulgi stretched her arms wide. "Welcome to my world. This is what I do ever since I was in college. Graphic designing was just a part of it, but this, this is the main course."
 
"Speaking of the main course, I'm getting hungry now." Irene pouted.
 
"What do you say about us grabbing a burger or something for dinner?"
 
"Burger again?" Irene frowned. "I thought I already told you to stay away from those kinds of foods?"
 
Seulgi chuckled. "I totally forgot about that. Well, let's just go out for dinner before I drive you home. I owe you one, remember?"
 
Seeing the smirk on Seulgi's face made Irene shy a little bit. But yeah, she thinks it's a good idea to spend more time with Seulgi.
 
"Where are you having dinner?" Sungjae approached them. "Thanks for the easy and fun photoshoot, Seulgi."
 
"You guys made it easier. you're both good." Seulgi shook Sungjae's hand.
 
"I heard you guys going out for dinner?"
 
"Yeah, the baby here is kinda hungry," said Seulgi, pointing at Irene.
 
Irene pressed her lips together. She felt something when Seulgi called her that.
 
"Why don't we all go out for dinner?" Joy joined them.
 
Irene saw Seulgi shifted, moving closer like she's protecting her from something.
 
"We'd love to. But Irene needs to go home."
 
"Don't tell me you're planning on getting a burger for your girlfriend?" asked Joy. "I just heard that Irene doesn't want to you eat burger anymore."
 
Sungjae laughed. "Oh really? You don't allow Seulgi to eat burgers? That's sweet."
 
Irene stood up from the chair and tucked her arm under Seulgi's. "It's because she's always having that for breakfast. Very unhealthy. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk."
 
Joy reached for Sungjae's arm to hold on to it too. "So, you're into burgers this time? I remember you used to love noodles before."
 
"Yeah. It's easier to get a burger than to prepare noodles," said Seulgi.
 
Joy smirked. "Still lazy as ever, huh?"
 
"So, what about dinner? Are shall we going altogether?" said Sungjae.
 
"Let's all go together. It's not every day we get to see each other like this. The last time Irene and I met we barely talked, right?" said Joy.
 
Seulgi moved her head closer to Irene. "What do you think?"
 
"It's okay. I don't mind," Irene whispered back.
 
"Are you sure?"
 
"Yeah. This meeting might not happen again. Let's just make the most out of it."
 
"Okay." Seulgi looked at the couple. "Where should we eat then?"
 
"Wherever the ladies like. Do you have a place in mind?" Sungjae looked at Joy.
 
Joy shrugged. "I'm not the best person to answer that kind of question. I think we should ask Seulgi. I believe she's the one with the most sensitive taste buds here."
 
Irene can't tell if her feelings are correct. Something inside tells her that Joy is eagerly pointing out all the personal things she knows about Seulgi.
 
She poked Seulgi's side. "What does she mean by that, honey?"
 
Seulgi chuckled. "You know that I often go out to eat at restaurants, right? I kinda have tried eating at all the major restaurants here in Seoul."
 
"And mind you, she's very picky. Once she didn't like the taste of the food, she'll never go back to that place again," added Joy.
 
Irene was in awe of Joy's confidence with Seulgi's preference. Joy surely knows a lot of things about Seulgi and she's telling that in Irene's face.
 
"Which is your favorite restaurant then?" Sungjae asked Seulgi.
 
"I love going to Tosokchon Samgyetang. However, I don't think that's the right place for us tonight. I'd say we go to Yong Su San. What do you think, Joy?" said Seulgi.
 
Joy ran her fingers through her hair. "Yeah. Yong Su San is a good idea. The food is great."
 
"All right. so it's Yong Su San then," Seulgi confirmed.
 
They separated on their way there as they have to travel by car.
 
There are lots of things that happened tonight. But Irene's sure of one thing.
 
She knows that pretending to be Seulgi's girlfriend gave her a ticket to a silent war with Joy.