Hospital

HERSHE
"HAHAHA!" There was a loud guffaw of a man from inside the hospital room.
 
"I can't believe it, he's here." Amber looked excited, turning to Krystal and Irene.
 
"He?" asked Krystal.
 
"Seulgi's dad. He's a fun guy. You'll see." Amber knocked on the door.
 
A man, whom Irene assumed to be Seulgi's dad, opened the door for them. "Look who we have here!" he exclaimed, arms stretched wide. "Isn't this the almighty Amber descending from Mount Olympus to captivate women's hearts?"
 
Amber threw herself for a big hug. "Uncle! I missed you!"
 
"I missed you too, kiddo." The man pulled away after noticing Krystal and Irene. "Oh. And you brought your pretty friends, huh? Come in," he said, gesturing to them. "Tiger, you got visitors."
 
Irene smiled at the pet name. Her eyes immediately scanned Seulgi who's lying on the bed with a bandaged right foot. No one knows how much she struggled to maintain her composure not to hug the poor patient at that moment.
 
Seulgi looked surprised to see her there. It was a brief shock that Seulgi immediately changed to a smile when she turned to look at Amber and Krystal.
 
Aside from Seulgi's dad, there were other people inside. One is a slightly older woman, whom Irene initially assumed as Seulgi's relative, and then there's a familiar person...
 
Wendy.
 
Irene's brows furrowed while staring at Wendy who's sitting ON the hospital bed, BESIDE Seulgi.
 
"Hey, guys." Seulgi looked more cheery now compared to how she was last Friday.
 
Amber pointed at Seulgi's foot. "Dude, what's up? You got it pretty bad, eh?"
 
"I'm fine. You've seen worse, remember?" said Seulgi. Amber laughed.
 
"What happened to you?" Krystal walked towards Seulgi.
 
"Just minor foot injury," said Seulgi. "I can go back to work the day after tomorrow. Miss me already?"
 
"Of course. It just doesn't feel the same not seeing you passing by the hallway." Krystal nudged Irene. "Right, Irene?"
 
Irene, who was zoning out while looking at how close Wendy's body is to Seulgi, was brought back to Earth. "Uh... yeah..."
 
"This is my dad, Aunt Victoria, and my friend Wendy," said Seulgi, gesturing around. "And these are are my friends and colleagues from the office: Amber, Krystal, and... Irene.
 
"Oh. So, she's THE Wendy," said Krystal.
 
"Hello everyone," said Wendy.
 
Seulgi's dad cleared his throat to gather everyone's attention. "So, now tell me, which of you girls is Seulgi's girlfriend?"
 
Their mouths fell open.
 
Seulgi's palm flew over her face. "Ugh. Dad, stop it."
 
"What's the matter, Tiger? I'm just curious."
 
"How many times should I tell you I'm single?" Seulgi's voice is muffled from hiding her face behind her palms. Irene still finds it cute.
 
"What? I can't believe it! You're a disgrace to this family," said Seulgi's dad, hands on his waist. "You surely have pretty friends here and you don't like any of them? What happened to your taste?"
 
Seulgi groaned even more.
 
"Maybe she hasn't moved on from Joy yet?" said Aunt Victoria.
 
"Ahh. The one that got away, huh? Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. If Tiger here wasn't a slowpoke I'm pretty sure they've been officially together." The man shook his head. "Oh, but there was a girl you were calling when we were in Bali. What happened to her?"
 
Seulgi and Irene had eye contact for a fraction of a second before Seulgi looked away and shrugged.
 
"What? That didn't work out too? Jeez. You even bought her something, right? Was that a bun--"
 
"DAD!"
 
"What? I thought that girl was special?"
 
Seulgi pressed her lips together. "It's not like what you're thinking. We're just friends."
 
Irene looked down at her feet, feeling guilty about it.
 
"Aish!" Seulgi's dad turned to Amber. "Didn't you teach your best friend here a thing or two about girls? You're the expert here, right?"
 
"I just learned from you, master." Amber chuckled. Krystal elbowed her. "But I've changed, uncle," she said, putting her arm around Krystal's shoulder. "I'm serious about this one."
 
"Oh. Okay. I'll keep my mouth shut then," said Seulgi's dad, zipping up the imaginary zipper on his mouth. "So, I'll leave you, kids, for now. I'll drive Victoria back to her restaurant first."
 
"I'll be back later, Seulgi," Aunt Victoria kissed the top of her niece's head.
 
"Thanks, aunt. Dad, you drive her safely, okay?"
 
"Agh. Your old man's reflexes are still kicking fine. Don't worry about me." Seulgi's dad waved a hand. "I'll see you later, Tiger." He leaned over to kiss Seulgi's head too.
 
There was a brief silence when the siblings left the room.
 
"Hello there, Wendy?" said Krystal, walking towards Wendy and shaking her hand. "It's so nice to finally meet you. I suppose you're Seulgi's girlfriend?"
 
Seulgi coughed.
 
"What!" Wendy's eyes burst open. "No! We're not together!"
 
Seulgi continued coughing but is also laughing now. "Krystal... don't bully her. Wendy is a good friend of mine. We're not anywhere near that."
 
Irene raised an eyebrow. Good friend?
 
"Duh. And I wouldn't want to be with someone as hopelessly romantic as you." Wendy eyed Seulgi in disgust.
 
"Yah! But you care for me!" said Seulgi.
 
"I just happen to be watching your game when you crashed down the court. Duh!" Wendy rolled her eyes. "Sometimes I can't help but wonder if that really was an accident or if it's your fault for getting drunk for two days."
 
"I'm thinking of the same thing, Wendy!" Amber exclaimed, high-fiving Wendy. "Seulgi always gets into trouble after binge drinking."
 
Irene's frowned this time.
 
How come Wendy knows all Seulgi's whereabouts? And why is Seulgi getting drunk again?
 
"Hey, are you okay? You're silent there," said Krystal.
 
When she realized everyone's eyes were on her, Irene settled on one chair. "Yeah. Just a little hungry."
 
"Why don't we get snacks then?" Amber turned to Krystal.
 
"Sure. I'm pretty hungry too." Krystal touched her tummy.
 
"Aight. Let's go get something outside. Irene, are you cool staying here for a while?" asked Amber.
 
Irene nodded.
 
Amber stretched out her hand to Krystal's shoulder and led her towards the door. "We'll be back."
 
There was another silence when the couple left. Irene felt how the ambiance inside the room changed to something unexplainable yet identifiable: awkwardness.
 
Irene is secretly wishing that Wendy would just disappear so she could talk to Seulgi alone. But just to break the ice, she started the conversation.
 
"How are you feeling now?" she asked Seulgi.
 
Seulgi stared at her for a while before answering, "Better. I didn't expect you'd come here."
 
"I could have come sooner if I had known," said Irene.
 
Wendy went down the bed. "I need to get something outside. Be right back."
 
Irene felt hopeful hearing that. At least Wendy knows that she needs to exit.
 
But Seulgi instantly grabbed Wendy by her arm. " Wait. Where are you going?"
 
"I'll get some snacks too."
 
"No. Stay here," said Seulgi. "I'm sure Amber will get something for everyone."
 
Irene looked away and exhaled.
 
There was a knock on the door. A female doctor came in with a nurse holding a clipboard.
 
"Excuse me. We're checking up on Seulgi," said the doctor.
 
"Maybe we should go out for now," Wendy told Irene.
 
Irene eyed Seulgi first before nodding her head.
 
---
 
It was silent in the hallway that time, no noise or anything, except for the sound of Wendy's heels rocking back and forth against the tiled floor.
 
Irene is sitting bolt upright, hands clasped in her lap while observing the woman sitting across her. It never occurred to her there will come a day when she'll suspect Wendy's real role in Seulgi's life. The idea of Wendy and her having equal importance to Seulgi, or maybe more on Wendy, is definitely troubling Irene.
 
"You all right?" asked Wendy with a smile.
 
Irene blinked after realizing what she's doing is creepy. "Yeah... I... I was just thinking of something."
 
"Still worried about her?"
 
Irene nodded. "I just found it out today, a while ago."
 
"Oh. I see."
 
"Were you the one who brought her here?"
 
"I helped, but it was actually the staff and some of her friends from the club that drove her here. I was the one whom she asked to contact her aunt."
 
"So, you've been here since Sunday?"
 
"Yeah, but not the whole day." Wendy shrugged. "I visit Seulgi whenever her aunt's busy since no one's available to look after her. Her dad just arrived this morning, and if I'm not mistaken, he'll leave again tomorrow afternoon."
 
Irene pressed her lips together. "You two are really that close, huh?"
 
"Well, if getting confided with her problems means being close, I guess you could say we really are." Wendy chuckled.
 
Irene felt insecure. Aside from Joy's issues before, Seulgi had never opened up to her about problems, making her itchy to find out the real deal with Wendy.
 
"Do you like Seulgi?" Irene bravely asked.
 
Wendy's head tilted forward; fell open. She quickly recovered it with a hearty chuckle.
 
"Wow. Why are you asking me that?"
 
"I just wanted to know. It's not impossible, right?"
 
"Why, are you jealous?" Wendy smirked.
 
"I'm not." Irene forced a smile. "Seulgi and I are good friends only."
 
Wendy nodded. "I see. Still in denial."
 
"I'm sorry?"
 
"I'm gonna be honest with you here, Irene." Wendy clasped her hands together on her lap. "I know everything that's happening between you and Seulgi."
 
That's something Irene didn't expect, but she tried to remain calm. "Everything like?"
 
"Everything about your 'relationship'," said Wendy, making quotes signs with her fingers. "All the joys, the sweetness, and even the problems."
 
"P-problems?"
 
"Didn't you just dump her last Friday?"
 
"What? No. I didn't dump her--"
 
"Not officially yet," Wendy cut her off. "But you and I both know that it's the same thing, right? Eventually, that's how things between you two will end."
 
Irene looked away and pinched her nose.
 
"I can't blame you if you're feeling confused or what," said Wendy. "But I know you're not dense to not know that Seulgi has feelings for you."
 
Irene took a deep breath. "Okay. I'd be lying if I'd say I never felt it. But how am I supposed to know if she's serious or not if she treats everyone so sweetly? How am I supposed to know I'm not just a pastime or entertainment to her?"
 
"Well she IS serious, Irene. She is head over heels for you."
 
Irene wanted to say something, but no words came out. It is something that she wanted to confirm all along. However, it felt different hearing it from another person instead of Seulgi herself.
 
"Don't tell me you still don't believe me?" asked Wendy. She gestured around the area. "Well, look where we are now. While you were enjoying your weekend with your guy, Seulgi was partying in hopes to forget you. I'm not blaming it on you. It's still her fault. But I want you to know she got badly wrecked after your last talk she didn't mind playing tennis even with a massive hangover."
 
"Gosh..." Irene covered her face with her palms, feeling guilty.
 
"Tell me, what exactly she is to you?" asked Wendy.
 
"Why do you want to know?"
 
"Because you are confusing her with your actions. You can't just tell her you cannot be with her and show up here now to make her feel she's important to you. That's..." Wendy paused to scoff and shake her head. "That's ridiculous."
 
"That's not my intention. I was just worried," said Irene. "I know it's hard for her. And it's equally hard for me too."
 
"I understand." Wendy sighed. "But you've got to decide, Irene. You can't just leave Seulgi in limbo, hanging and waiting for you. If you will choose that guy then you need to set her free. Do her a favor by staying away from her so she could accept it fast."
 
Irene started asking herself if it's really something she wanted to happen, for Seulgi to completely move on from her.
 
"Will she be okay if I do that?" she asked Wendy.
 
"Of course. As long as you two stay away from each other I can assure you it'll take only a month for her to get over you."
 
"That fast?" Irene wondered if it really takes such a short time to forget someone who means so much.
 
"Yes. I won't let her linger on you that long. I'll help mend her. I'll entertain her. I'll keep her occupied," said Wendy.
 
Irene leaned back on the chair, eyes fixed at Wendy.
 
There are two things at the top of her head now: first, how much it will be hard for her to get rid of her attachment to Seulgi; and second, how she felt threatened after hearing Wendy's somewhat confession.
 
"I can help her get over you, Irene." Wendy leaned forward and smiled. "I will make her forget you."