Family

HERSHE
"I always knew our meeting in Taipei wasn't by accident," said Wendy, pointing a finger at the receipt.
 
Seulgi signed the paper. "Whatever, serendipity lover."
 
"Yah! You wouldn't get Irene if it wasn't for me, right?"
 
"And you wouldn't have met Eric if I didn't invite you to the party, right? I know what you're pointing out, Wendy. Why are you being so nostalgic?"
 
"It's because today is my second anniversary with Eric! Have you forgotten that?"
 
"Oh? Is it today?" Seulgi glanced at her watch to check the date. "Wow. How time really flies, huh? So, you're really over Taipei now, huh?"
 
"Taipei will always have a special place in my heart," said Wendy. "But yeah, I have to move on someday, right?"
 
"And you've got the right to be happy."
 
"Exactly."
 
Seulgi stared at Wendy, realizing how special their friendship had become through the years. "I'm happy you're with Eric, Wendy."
 
Wendy smirked. "Eric kept complaining about how their department got boring since you left them."
 
"Oh, c'mon." Seulgi tapped her palm on the counter. "I quit my job almost two years ago and he hasn't adapted to it yet?"
 
"Maybe he just misses you?"
 
"Or maybe he misses my visitors before? Aw!" Seulgi earned herself a slap from Wendy. "Since you mention that, maybe let's hang out sometime; you and Eric, me and Irene."
 
"Sounds good! I think we should do it at least once a month. I rarely see you now after you opened your studio."
 
Seulgi sighed. "Yeah. I've been busy. Dad's putting more pressure on it."
 
"But at least you know that your business is in good hands, right?"
 
"Yeah..." Seulgi shrugged, looking down at her phone to check the message that just came in. "All right. I need to go now. The queen texted me. "
 
Wendy raised an eyebrow. "Queen?"
 
"Irene's mom. She said Irene's in my apartment now and wants me to surprise her."
 
"Wow. Finally in good terms with your in-law, huh?"
 
"We're getting there, Wendy. Slowly but surely."
 
Wendy handed Seulgi the bouquet she ordered. "What's with those? I bet you've done something to piss Irene, huh?"
 
"Well," Seulgi started, scrunching up her face. "Let's just say that we haven't seen each other for a week. And I missed our third anniversary..."
 
Wendy's eyes widened. "What? Jeez. You're in trouble, Seulgi. BIG trouble."
 
"I know. I know. The queen even scolded me for upsetting her daughter. I told Irene I'll be out with my dad for three days only but something came up. We had to stay in Bangkok for a week."
 
"Let me know the address of your funeral so I could send you flowers, okay?"
 
"You're crazy."
 
"Good luck with Irene later."
 
"I'll call you if I make it out alive."
 
---
 
While walking back to the parking lot with flowers in hand, Seulgi spotted a familiar figure walking on the other side of the street.
 
Long legs, slim figure, and that y signature walk; she could not be mistaken. The woman might have had changed her hairstyle and might dress more differently now but Seulgi surely knows who she is.
 
Seulgi crossed the road and approached the figure.
 
"Umm, excuse me, miss...?"
 
The woman turned around. Her eyes grew wide. "S-Seulgi?"
 
"I knew it was you, chick!"
 
"Oh, bear!" Joy reached out to hug Seulgi. "Gosh! How are you?"
 
Seulgi pulled back. "I'm good! How about you? Are you on vacation or something?"
 
"Well, I'm kind of stuck here in Seoul. Sungjae and I have built a modeling agency and we're kind of in a startup stage right now."
 
"Wow. For real?" asked Seulgi, surprised. "Well, I'm managing a studio with my dad after I quit my job two years ago."
 
Joy smiles. "Would you be happy to provide your services to an old friend? We are looking for one."
 
"It'll be my pleasure, mademoiselle." Seulgi pulled out a wallet and handed Joy a calling card. "There. Contact me anytime you like."
 
Joy stared at the card. "I guess you're doing what you've really wanted now, hmm?"
 
"Yeah. it gives me a sense of completion."
 
"That's nice. And thanks for this," said Joy, waving the card. "Expect a call from me soon."
 
Seulgi nodded. "So... you two are still together, huh?"
 
"Yeah, still fighting. How about you? I assume those flowers are for a special girl, right?"
 
Seulgi glanced at the flowers. "Yeah..."
 
"Is it for the same girl three years ago?"
 
"Mmm-mmm. Same girl."
 
Joy ran a hand through her hair. "I knew it, Seulgi. I knew she's the one for you."
 
Seulgi absently scratched her head, smiling.
 
"It's been three years already, right?" asked Joy. "Can't believe that three years just flew like that so fast."
 
Seulgi nodded. "So... um... are we good now?"
 
"I think so. I assumed 3 years has healed us both, right?" asked Joy.
 
"Does that mean we could hang out with Amber again like before?"
 
"Why not include Irene and Sungjae in the circle? And whoever is Amber's current girlfriend because she changes from time to time, right?"
 
Seulgi laughed. "Don't worry. She's in a steady relationship now."
 
"Oh, I guess everything's falling in the right place."
 
"Couldn't agree more."
 
They fell into silence, staring, and observing each other.
 
"Umm, do you think your girlfriend would mind if I'd go out with you alone one time?" asked Joy.
 
Seulgi shook her head. "As long as your boyfriend doesn't mind then I think we could really do that. I mean, I'd love to do that."
 
"You sure?"
 
"Yeah, as long as I tell Irene about it then it's fine."
 
"Tell her it's nothing romantic. Just for old time's sake. I missed my bear, you know."
 
"Don't worry, she'll understand it. And yes, I missed my chick too."
 
"Perfect."
 
---
 
Seulgi opened the door to her apartment and heard the shower running.
 
Seulgi put down the flowers on the bedside table and lie down to get some rest. She is too tired from the traveling she didn't notice she was dozing off.
 
After some time, Seulgi felt trickles of water droplets on her face. She tiredly opened her eyes only to see a curtain of wet hair in her view.
 
Irene was smiling widely at her. "Hey. I missed you..."
 
"Uh..." Seulgi tried but she couldn't move because Irene's weight is on top of hers. "How's my baby, hmm?"
 
"You missed our anniversary..." Irene pouted, wagging her feet.
 
Seulgi caged her girlfriend in her arms and realized Irene's only wearing a towel around her body.
 
"Oh, I'm sorry. One of dad's major clients moved the meeting a few days after the planned one. Don't worry. I'll make sure to bring you along with me next time."
 
Smiling, Irene squeezes herself into the crook of Seulgi's neck. A moment later she started sniffing Seulgi's neck, down to her collarbones. Then she gets up, fixing the towel around her body.
 
"Tsk. Gosh, Seulgi. Who is it this time?"
 
"Huh?" Seulgi knew what those looks meant. She's done something wrong, and she needs to figure out what it is.
 
"You met up with a woman before you went here, right?"
 
"I went to Wendy to buy you flowers." Seulgi gestured at the bedside table.
 
"I'm already familiar with Wendy's perfume, and it isn't hers," said Irene. "Who it is now? Is she one of those models who love hugging you?"
 
Seulgi sat up on the bed. "Hey. Why are you talking like I'm cheating on you?"
 
"I didn't say that, okay? I'm just noticing how you love being around your models."
 
"It's because our work requires that we have to get along well. But it's pure work."
 
"Work." Irene scoffed, crossing her arms. "Perfect excuse to flirt around, huh? Does work includes one of them kissing you on the cheek?"
 
Seulgi groaned. "How many times should I tell you she was a new model?"
 
"Could you blame me for getting mad? She kissed you in front of me, in front of me!" Irene flailed her arms out. "Urgh! I swear I could really kill her now if I see her. Ugh!"
 
"It's because she doesn't know yet that we're together that time, okay? She apologized to me after she found out."
 
"Admit it, you weren't planning on telling her about us in the first place, right?"
 
"Huh? Why are you talking like I'm the only one with issues here?"
 
"What? Are you bringing that one up again?" asked Irene, walking back and forth the room. "What happened to me before was not my fault. The guy assumed I like him."
 
"Maybe because you gave him signs?"
 
"I was just being nice because he's a new employee."
 
"So, being nice means letting him hold your hand?"
 
"I tripped on the stairs, for goodness' sake!" Irene ruffled her hair in frustration. "Why don't you just believe me?"
 
Seulgi closed her eyes and massaged her temples. There was an awful silence in the room while the two were waiting for someone to surrender first. After a short while, Seulgi rose to her feet and approached Irene from behind.
 
"Don't touch me," said Irene.
 
"Hey, baby. Look. I'm sorry, okay?" whispered Seulgi, wrapping her arms around Irene's waist. "Can we not fight now? We haven't seen each other for a week and I missed you so much."
 
Irene finally softened. She hugged Seulgi's arm around her and partly turned her head aside to glance at her lover. "I'm sorry too. I didn't mean to suspect you of anything."
 
"Believe me. I have not thought of cheating on you, not even once."
 
"I know." Irene turned around and wrapped her arms around Seulgi's neck. "I love you."
 
"Oh, I love you too." Seulgi brushed a stray hair away from Irene's face before she leaned over for a kiss.
 
"Wait. Not yet." Irene stopped her. "Tell me honestly, who is it you met today?"
 
"Oh, that. You really don't forget things easily, huh?" Seulgi chuckled.
 
"Of course. I should keep track of your fangirls. Now tell me, who is it this time?"
 
"It was Joy."
 
There was an uncomfortable look on Irene's face. "Oh. You didn't tell me she's here."
 
"It wasn't planned. I ran into her today and we hugged so I smelled like her perfume now."
 
"What did you guys talk about?"
 
"Just quick catching up, how is she, where is she working, you know, just stuff."
 
"Is she single?"
 
Seulgi smiled. "Hmm. Don't tell me you're jealous of her too?"
 
Irene pouted and looked away.
 
Seulgi pinched Irene's chin with her fingers. "Hey, hey. No need to be jealous. She's still with Sungjae, okay?"
 
"But that doesn't mean that you cannot have feelings for each other, right?"
 
"Hey, it's not like that." Seulgi cupped Irene's face to turn it to her. "What we had before is just part of the past; that I'm over her. My world doesn't revolve around her anymore."
 
"Hmp."
 
"Hey, stop worrying. Joy and I are impossible."
 
Irene looked at Seulgi with her puppy eyes. "Are you sure you're not gonna leave me for her?"
 
"I won't. Where did you get that notion?"
 
"I'm worried," said Irene, looking down. "I really can't imagine my life now without you in it."
 
"Aww, my poor baby." Seulgi hugged her girlfriend tightly. "I wouldn't want to leave your side either. I can't even contain the thought of some other guy taking care of you. I won't let you go that easily, even you want to break free from me."
 
Irene smiled at that. "You've got to keep your word."
 
"I surely would."
 
Seulgi kissed Irene's forehead, down to her nose, and eventually capturing her lips. It was a kiss with enthusiasm since they've been missing each other for days now.
 
Getting carried away, Seulgi slowly led Irene to lean back against the nearest wall; one hand around her waist and one hand supporting Irene's head. Seulgi's hand slowly reached up to remove the towel.
 
"And what are you doing?" asked Irene, stopping Seulgi.
 
Seulgi leaned an arm against the wall. "Um. Don't you think it's getting hot in here?"
 
"You just need a cold shower."
 
"You think so?" Seulgi's fingers were trailing on Irene's shoulder this time. "Do you think you could shower with me?"
 
"I just came from the shower."
 
"But I thought you missed me?"
 
"I do, but I still have a meeting with mom's haute couture in an hour," said Irene, rubbing their nose together.
 
"Wow. So they're really tying the knot?"
 
"Mmm-mmm. Well, you should be happy. Ever since her boyfriend came my mom has been light on you."
 
"Yeah. I have to agree to that."
 
"And since you're here, you might want to pick something to wear too."
 
"Wait, am I invited?"
 
"You should be invited. Haven't you received an invitation yet?"
 
Seulgi shrugged.
 
Irene scratched her head. "Oh. I'll talk to her about it."
 
"No need. I perfectly understand. It might really take her time."
 
"But it's been three years, Seulgi. What does she want you to prove to her?"
 
"We'll get there soon. Don't worry. Before that, you're forgetting something..." Seulgi was about to kiss Irene but the doorbell rang. She rolled her eyes. "Ugh. Disturbance. Did you order something?"
 
Irene pulled away and walked towards the closet. "Nope."
 
"Maybe they got the wrong room number?" asked Seulgi. The doorbell rang again.
 
"It's really for you, Seulgi. Now get it."
 
Seulgi groaned again.
 
"Or do you want me to get it for you while I'm wearing this?" Irene gestured to the towel wrapped around her body.
 
"Fine. Don't get dressed yet, okay?"
 
"Whatever." Irene chuckled.
 
---
 
The delivery man handed Seulgi a brown envelope. It was from Irene's mom.
 
Seulgi opened the envelope and found a wedding invitation card and two plane tickets.
 
Lastly, she found a small note inside. Seulgi's lips lined a smile after reading it.
 
"What's that?" said Irene, peeking from the bedroom.
 
"Your mom just sent me an invitation for her wedding," said Seulgi, walking back to the room.
 
"Oh, see? I knew she'd invite you."
 
"It's not only that," Seulgi continued, placing the envelope on the edge of the bed, "she sent us plane tickets to Hong Kong as an anniversary gift."
 
Irene turned to Seulgi. "Wow. This is the first time she's done that, right?"
 
"Yeah. I'd have to thank her boyfriend for that."
 
"You really should. Maybe we should buy them present soon, what do you think?" asked Irene, rummaging through the closet.
 
"What are you doing?"
 
"Choosing my clothes, why?"
 
"Who says you can change now, huh?" said Seulgi, grabbing Irene by the waist.
 
"Seulgi!"
 
"No. You're not going anywhere, woman." Seulgi dragged Irene towards the bed and lead her girlfriend to lie down.
 
Irene tried to fight back but Seulgi is already on top of her. "Seulgi, I still have an appointment, okay?"
 
"I know. I'll drive you there. We'll go there together." Seulgi playfully kisses Irene on her neck and shoulders. "Mmm! You smell nice!"
 
Irene giggled. "Seulgi... can we... can we do this later? I don't want to be late..."
 
Seulgi playfully ran her fingers over the towel. "I'll help you change then."
 
Irene stopped Seulgi's hand. "Nah-uh. I swear I'm gonna shout for help if you do that."
 
Seulgi looked down at Irene with amazement. "Wow. But why do you seem so excited about it, huh?"
 
Irene laughed. "Seriously, Seulgi, I really should change now."
 
"Well, I'm serious about not letting you go that easy, princess."
 
Seulgi pinned Irene's hands on either side of her head and launched to execute her evil plan.
 
Irene's mixed laughter and squeals echoed through the room.
 
The brown envelope fell from the bed with the small note, invitation, and plane tickets scattered on the floor.
 
The note was the side, revealing what's written on it:
 
Seulgi,
 
I could never thank you enough for taking care of my daughter these past three years. I know that dealing with me wasn't easy on your part but I'm still glad you managed to stick with me and Irene.
 
I've sent you plane tickets as an anniversary gift. I hope you both stay happy and that you continue to love my daughter especially now that I'll be somebody's wife again soon.
 
I hope to see you, your dad and your aunt at my wedding!
 
Love,
 
Mom
 
P.s.
 
Welcome to the family :)
 
- fin -