Fast

HERSHE
Irene is lying on her bed, staring at the ceiling, fiddling with her hands on her tummy. What Yeri told her earlier made her anxious.
 
"It's your entire fault, Seulgi!" she screamed in their empty house while punching through the air. "You've just turned Yeri to be your newest fangirl because you're so flirty! Ugh! Stupid, Seulgi! Stupid!"
 
Irene turned aside to check on her phone. "Why isn't she texting me? Is she busy? Doesn't she miss talking to me?"
 
She d for a pillow and hid her head under it.
 
Yes. She's going crazy now.
 
---
 
The next day, Irene found Yeri already in the office when she got in. She can't deny that this intern is good. Her chances of passing are high.
 
"Hi there," said Irene, turning on her PC.
 
"Morning, Ms. Irene."
 
"Wow. Are you partying later?" asked Irene, noticing makeup on the intern's face that she has not been doing in the past few days.
 
"Not really." Yeri smiled, tucking her hair behind her ear. "I just want to feel pretty today."
 
"You are always pretty, dear."
 
"Thanks."
 
Irene grabbed a wet tissue and poured rubbing alcohol on it.
 
"Umm. Ms. Irene, can I ask you something?"
 
"Hmm?" Irene started cleaning her table with the wet tissue.
 
"By any chance, are you close friends with Seulgi?"
 
Irene's hand stopped. "W-we're friends, why?"
 
"I just want to know if she has a boyfriend or a girlfriend."
 
"The last time I checked, she's single." Irene resumed cleaning her table. "But I'm not sure anymore. In case you're not aware, many women are just throwing themselves at her."
 
"Oh. is that so..."
 
"You really like her?" Irene asked to reassure, hoping that the answer would change.
 
Yeri nodded. "How about you, don't you think she's cute?"
 
"Uh. Well. She is charming, yes."
 
"So, you like her too?"
 
"Umm..."
 
"Ms. Irene..."
 
"Yes?"
 
"You're blushing." Yeri giggled.
 
"Am I?" Irene's initial instinct told her to look around to see if Krystal is already there. "You're a crazy kid. I just easily blush when asked about things like that."
 
"So, you like Seulgi?"
 
"All the girls here in the office like her, Yeri. What you're feeling now is normal," said Irene, dumping the used tissue in the trash bin below her table.
 
"All the girls? Including you?"
 
Irene glared at Yeri. "Do you want me to fail you in your training?"
 
Yeri raised her hands to surrender. "I'm just asking you."
 
"Why do you want to know that, anyway?"
 
"It's because I like her a lot, and I'm planning to confess soon."
 
Irene's eyes almost popped out of their sockets. "What? Confess right away? You just met her yesterday, right? And does your confession have anything to do with me?"
 
"Well... it's because of yesterday," said Yeri, hesitant. "There's just something different with the way you two talk to each other."
 
Irene held the mouse this time, pretending to work. She can hear the fast beat of her heart. "Different in what way?"
 
"It's hard to explain. But you two are emitting the girlfriend vibe. That's why I've thought of asking you first about her before I make my confession."
 
Irene is still wondering what exactly these people--Krystal and Yeri--see that made them think something is going on between her and Seulgi. As far as she remembers, Seulgi and she had a quick small talk yesterday. Nothing unusual. But then, how come Yeri could sense something from that?
 
Not knowing the answer herself, Irene faked a smile instead. "Don't worry, Seulgi and I are just friends."
 
Yeri's face lit up. "So, you won't mind if I hang out with her?"
 
Irene shook her head. "You shouldn't worry about me, instead you should think about the other fangirls here in the office. In case you're not aware yet, they are killing each other to get Seulgi's attention."
 
"That doesn't bother me, Miss Irene. I'm gonna start my move today." Yeri clapped.
 
Irene rolled her eyes.
 
---
 
Office hours are finally over. Irene is waiting by the elevator area when she saw Taeyong walking alone. He smiled at her.
 
"You're going home now?" asked Irene, smiling back.
 
"Yeah..."
 
"Where's Yeri?"
 
"She left a few minutes ago."
 
Irene felt something is odd. Yeri and Taeyong always go home together. "Why isn't she with you? Did you guys fight?"
 
"Nope. But someone's driving her home today."
 
"Who?"
 
Taeyong let out a loud sigh before looking at Irene. "It's Seulgi."
 
Irene will definitely kill Seulgi.
 
---
 
"Yeri wanted me to pretend I have something else to do, and that she has no one to drive her home. Unfortunately, Yeri's house is on Seulgi's way home," said Taeyong.
 
"And you played along?" asked Irene. She invited Taeyong for a cup of coffee to talk about it.
 
"Yeah, what else can I do, Yeri likes her."
 
"Why do you seem to be not okay with it? I thought you were like brotherly-sisterly close?"
 
Taeyong smiled weakly. "To Yeri it's like that. But for me, it isn't..."
 
"Wow." Irene blinked. "You're in love with her?"
 
Taeyong nodded. "For more than a year now."
 
"Then why don't you confess?"
 
"It's not that easy," said Taeyong before sipping on his coffee. "We grew up close like relatives. It was just recently when I realized that I'm in love with her."
 
"How are you feeling now knowing that she likes Seulgi?"
 
"Anxious. Jealous. I don't know." Taeyong forced a smile. "The thing is, I can't blame Seulgi either. She's just being kind because she thought Yeri was not feeling well today."
 
"I don't think Yeri would do anything stupid you should not worry." But she will still kill Seulgi tomorrow.
 
"What if she confessed?" asked Taeyong.
 
"Do you really think she'd do that?"
 
"Maybe. Yeri is still naïve and has a tendency of falling in love fast."
 
"I don't think Seulgi will take advantage of her, so you better stop worrying," said Irene.
 
Taeyong let out a loud exhale before grabbing his cup to take another sip. After putting down his cup he leaned closer to the table.
 
"We're in the same boat here, aren't we?" he asked.
 
It caught Irene off guard. She didn't know that it would feel different hearing it from a guy. "How can you say so?"
 
"Well, we wouldn't have this coffee talk if they don't affect you too, right? And you finished your tea right away. Were you that tensed?"
 
Irene could only smirk and shake her head.
 
"I get it. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone if you're uncomfortable talking about it," said Taeyong, sounding sincere.
 
Irene pressed her lips together, unsure of what to say anymore.
 
---
 
Seulgi's thoughts drifted back to Irene. She's inside her car, waiting for Yeri who's buying ice cream outside.
 
Ever since Krystal started teasing them about their closeness, Seulgi felt Irene has been trying to avoid her. It's not something noticeable or obvious. But for someone like who experienced how to be "close" to Irene in a certain way, Seulgi knew something's off with them. She understands though, maybe Irene doesn't like Krystal pairing them up.
 
Because of that, Seulgi is trying her best to hold herself back from texting or even calling Irene--which is now resulting in terribly missing the smaller lady.
 
"Hey, want some?"
 
Seulgi saw Yeri's hand with a spoonful of ice cream ready to feed her. She didn't even realize that Yeri had already stepped inside the car.
 
Seulgi was looking at the spoon in front of her face. She's not in the mood for ice cream right now but she's worried that it might drip on her car and will leave a stain. She opened and ate it.
 
Yeri giggled. "You're so cute."
 
"I thought you're not feeling well? You shouldn't eat something like that if you're having flu," said Seulgi.
 
"Are you worried about me?"
 
"I don't want to be the reason for you being absent."
 
Yeri giggled again.
 
Seulgi is now starting to wonder what's wrong with Yeri. "Maybe I should drive you home now."
 
"That fast? Why don't we have dinner together first?" said Yeri.
 
"Huh? The reason I'm driving you home today is because Taeyong won't be able to send you home, right?"
 
"I was not feeling well this morning but I guess you have the magic in you that can cure me," said Yeri.
 
Seulgi stared at Yeri awkwardly.
 
"Seulgi, do you think I'm pretty?"
 
"Y-yeah... I bet lots of boys are courting you."
 
"Yes, but they don't have the power over me."
 
Seulgi was unsure how to respond again.
 
"But you, you have the power to make my heart beat fast all the time." Yeri grabbed Seulgi's hand and placed it on her chest. "Can you feel that? It's beating fast now, right?"
 
"Y-yeah..." As Seulgi was about to pull her hand away, Yeri held it tight, forced it to open wide, and brushed it on her left .
 
"Hey--" Seulgi immediately felt awkward when she felt the soft sensation on her palm. She forcedly pulled her arm away. "What's wrong with you?"
 
"Nothing is wrong, Seulgi. What I'm feeling for you is right."
 
"I should drive you home now."
 
Just as before Seulgi starts the engine, she saw Yeri put the ice cream cup on the dashboard. Her initial instinct is to check if there is anything that dripped on the carpet or the chair.
 
"No. We're not going to my place yet..." Yeri's voice was seductive this time.
 
"What are you... wha--"
 
Yeri moved over and sat on Seulgi's lap, her legs spread around the latter's waist. It surprised Seulgi because she didn't see Yeri move. The last thing she remembers is seeing was the cup on her dashboard, and with just a blink she's facing the girl's ies now. She didn't know how Yeri did that in just two seconds.
 
Maybe Yeri is a ninja in disguise.
 
Yeri d for Seulgi's hands and put it around her waist.
 
"The only place we're going to now is your place," said Yeri, leaning forward to give Seulgi a kiss.