Late

HERSHE
Irene hasn't moved an inch from that couch since came home.
 
The entire place is quiet and the only thing she can hear is her own breathing.
 
'I will make her forget you.'
 
The conversation with Wendy was cut short after Amber and Krystal arrived. Irene wasn't able to find an opportunity to talk to Seulgi after that.
 
And now that she's home, Wendy's words continue to hunt her.
 
Irene closed her eyes and furrowed her brows.
 
She should be happy, right? She should be happy knowing someone will be with Seulgi because Irene won't be able to stand up for her.
 
But why is Irene feeling distressed?
 
It would have been easier if it's one-sided--if Irene's the only one having these feelings. But it's not like that. Wendy just told her what she has doubted all along: Seulgi is serious about her.
 
But what would she do now? IRene can't decide yet but doesn't want to hurt Seulgi anymore. She knows she can't pick Seulgi, but she doesn't want to let her go either. Selfish it may seem, but it is the exact reason for her confusion.
 
What's hurting her more is the fact that Seulgi obviously feels comfortable around Wendy. Irene knows if she won't make a move anytime soon, Wendy will surely be able to replace her.
 
---
 
Irene is walking towards the lift when she spotted two familiar figures waiting there.
 
She smiled at the sight, knowing the back she's looking at belongs to Seulgi. However, her smile faded as guilt strikes her again when she saw the crutch on Seulgi's right hand.
 
Amber noticed her. "Hello there, beautiful!"
 
"Hello there, handsome," she greeted. "Getting lost here this early, huh?"
 
"Best friend duties." Amber pointed at Seulgi. "Can't drive."
 
"Well, isn't that sweet of you?" Irene turned and playfully nudged Seulgi. "Good morning."
 
Seulgi glanced at her and forced a smile. "Morning." She turned away after, looking at the floor signal.
 
Irene took it in her mental notepad. Seulgi didn't completely ignore her, but something's still off.
 
Still, it's progress.
 
Irene went back to Amber. "Where's your girlfriend?"
 
"She went ahead of us. I had to pick this brat here first," said Amber, lightly punching Seulgi who responded with a harder nudge. Amber laughed. "Well, since Irene's here, I better go ahead. Could you assist her for me, Irene?"
 
Irene unconsciously brought a hand to her chest, emotionally unprepared to be alone with Seulgi.
 
"Y-yeah. Sure."
 
"Don't sweat it. I can handle myself," said Seulgi. She turned to Amber and punched her. "And don't think of me as a weakling!"
 
Amber stepped backward to keep a distance from the attacker who's seriously throwing her punches. "I better go now, Irene, before someone here bruises me."
 
Irene chuckled. "Okay. You take care."
 
Amber politely bowed at Irene before turning to Seulgi. "Dude, I'll pick you up later. Okay?"
 
"Go already, will you," said Seulgi, pretending to be annoyed. She looked back at the floor signal, tapping her crutch on the floor.
 
Irene smiled. It's just now that she admitted to herself that Seulgi's mere presence is giving her solace.
 
Irene hugged herself for a moment and looked away. If there's one thing she's thankful for getting the chance to talk to Wendy alone, it is finding Seulgi's real feelings for her.
 
The lift door opened. Seulgi managed to get in fast even though she's limping. Irene couldn't help but feel worried, wishing she's the one taking care of Seulgi now.
 
They got off on their designated floor. Seulgi gestured to Irene before walking straight to her department. Irene sighed.
 
Irene initially thought of buying lunch to save Seulgi from walking here and there; killing two birds with one stone. It's also the perfect chance to get to talk to her alone.
 
Unfortunately, before Irene could even execute her plan, some fangirls had the same idea; they already bought Seulgi something. And according to Krystal's observation, there were several visitors today.
 
Disappointed with the failure of her first plan, Irene decided to ride along with Amber and Seulgi in the afternoon. In that way, she could offer Seulgi help to her apartment where they can talk seriously. Bogum is out until Friday, a perfect opportunity for Irene since her mom won't bug her to go out with him.
 
---
 
That afternoon, after seeing Seulgi pass by the hallway, Irene hurried to fix her stuff so she could follow. She knows Seulgi will decline her offer if she'll ask for it straight.
 
"Wow. Going home on the dot today, huh?" said Krystal.
 
"Aren't you going home with Amber?" asked Irene, noticing Krystal is still busy with work.
 
"She'll pick me up later. She had an unexpected client meeting earlier. She said it might take her till seven in the evening to finish."
 
Irene turned to look at the hallway door.
 
Noticing her friend's musing, Krystal turned her chair around. "Why?"
 
"I... uh... nothing..." Irene hooked her bag on her shoulder. "I better go now. Mom's waiting for me."
 
Irene strode towards the lobby, hoping Seulgi isn't fast enough to get into the elevator quickly.
 
"Seulgi!" Irene called out when she had a glimpse of Seulgi's back.
 
She felt hope when Seulgi turned around. However, her footsteps slowed down when a familiar figure appeared beside Seulgi.
 
"Hi there, Irene," said Wendy.
 
Irene's footsteps came to a complete stop when she noticed Wendy's arm looped into Seulgi's.
 
"Anything you need from me?" asked Seulgi. Irene looked at her, confused. "You called me, right?"
 
Something's not right.
 
Not that she doesn't want it, but this is the first time she'd seen Seulgi's natural smile after their talk last time. Irene's eyes flew to the lady beside Seulgi who's clinging to her like there's no tomorrow.
 
Is it because of her?
 
"Irene?" Seulgi waved a hand before Irene's face.
 
Irene snapped out of her reverie. "I was just checking if you have a ride home. Krystal told me Amber's too busy to pick you up."
 
"Oh. Don't worry. That's why Wendy came here. I asked her to drive me home."
 
Wendy's smile is like a dagger in Irene's chest.
 
"Well... that's... that's good..." Irene nodded.
 
"I had to close my flower shop for a while just to pick you up here," said Wendy, playfully hitting Seulgi's arm. "You owe me another one, okay?"
 
Seulgi chuckled. "Okay. Tell me how can I make it up to you?"
 
"Why don't you go to my house first before I drive you home? Mom has cooked something for us."
 
That surely brought Seulgi excitement. "Really? That sounds great! I'd love to." She turned to Irene. "Are you going to be okay? He's picking you up, right?"
 
Not wanting to sound defeated, Irene nodded.
 
Wendy tightened her hug on Seulgi's arm. "Great. So, we'll go ahead now, Irene. You take care, okay?"
 
"Have fun." Irene feigned a smile.
 
Irene felt shortness in her breathing. Her heart is beating irregularly. A wave of mixed emotions surged into her chest, pulling her heart down. The sight of the two making fun of each other is torturing to her.
 
The lift door opened, and they both waved her goodbye before going in. Irene stood there, feeling weak. She brought a hand to her chest, remembering what Wendy told her.
 
One month. Wendy said one month.
 
It may seem impossible to do it that fast, but Irene can't erase Seulgi's smile off her mind.
 
She went back staring lost at the elevator area, wondering if she's already late.