Date?

Wolves Among Us

Sehun is incredibly relieved when Kai chooses a different restaurant, not the one he works at. One that's completely new, different, but still nearby. They take a subway, for once, instead of teleporting. and it makes Sehun feel normal for once. Walking together and talking about things other than the group, missions, training, magic. Instead, they talk about hobbies, jobs, families, friends. Of course, the friend conversation didn't last long considering they share the same ones. But Sehun learns that Kai joined when he was 15- after his parents died. He grew up with his abilities, having an easy time of controlling it. Unlike some like Chanyeol and Sehun, who still has a lot of training to do. Chanyeol at least can control his flames. Sehun just...gives a gentle breeze and only sometimes works when he needs it to.

Sehun's life isn't nearly as interesting as Kai's. Raised in a normal family,  a bit of a loner who liked to run track and take pictures. He never had any close friends, only fleeting ones. They either forgot about him or became too intense for Sehun. He was fine, anyways. He feels more himself when he was alone, anyways. 

"I think I'm getting better," Sehun says hopefully as they wait for their food. Kai had insisted on paying and even got his wallet out way faster than he did. 
"With your magic, yes." He agrees. "Your ability with the staff...I'm sure you'll be fine, eventually."
"Kai, I have to ask," Sehun says, after taking a sip of water. "You were really cold to me when we first met and trained together..."
"Yeah?"
"Um...what changed?"
Kai taps his index finger on the table. "Well, I thought you were a spy for Siwon," He admits honestly.
Sehun raises his brows. "What?"
"I thought Heechul burning down your building was some excuse for you...to get close to Suho and the others."
Sehun fiddles with the silverware placed out. "Burning down my place is a little excessive. I could have just...accepted Suho's offer to move in."
Kai slowly nods in thought. "True but...I only realized you weren't a spy when I saw Siwon...drowning you."
"What?"
Kai sighs. "I saw you speaking to Siwon at the park and I figured I was right. I left to tell Suho but something...told me to follow you three," He explains. "But I got Suho first, knowing I couldn't handle the three of you.
"Three of us?"
Kai nods. "I thought you were hiding your magic from us; pretending to not know how to use it."
They stop talking for a moment when the waiter brings out their food. When they both nod and thank them, they watch the server leave before resuming. "You were full on ready to kill me?"
"Yeah, but..." Kai sighs. "I saw him drowning you and I...Look, I'm sorry for not getting there sooner."
"I already told Suho," Sehun shakes his head. "I don't blame either of you for what happened."
"But if-"
"Hey," Sehun smiles at him from over the table. "Let's...not talking about Siwon or the others. I want to just enjoy ourselves and relax."
Kai sighs. "You're right."
Sehun observes him carefully for a moment, suddenly feeling bad at the sudden sad atmosphere. He bites his lip as he looks around. He glances at the table nearby, at the candle beside a woman. 
"Kai, look over at that table."
Kai looks up in confusion, and then over at the woman.
"No, no. The candle."
"What about it?"
"Do you...believe in ghosts?"
"No," He snorts, still watching it. 
"Well," Sehun puts his hand under the table, manifesting his wind. He flicks his wrist toward the candle. The woman gasps suddenly when the fire of the candle is blown out. 
"H-huh?"
After a waiter comes back to relight it. He waits for him to leave before flicking his wrist again, once again blowing the candle out. She stares at it with wide-eyes.
"I think she does."
That makes Kai actually laugh, turning his head away as he does so. Sehun laughs too, pulling his hand back up and leaning his chin on it. When she flags down a waiter and gets him to relight it, Sehun tosses another breeze of air. They watch the woman begin to freak out, looking for an open window. When not finding one, she quickly gets up and grabs her purse to leave. 
"Oh," Kai chuckles. "Who knew this place was haunted?"
"Spooky." Sehun grins. Kai looks at him, his smile lazy and amused.  "They should get that checked out."
"Could be really bad for business," Kai agrees. 
When they both stop laughing like dumb, high school boys, they stare at each other; His dark eyes bright and warm compared to their typical cold ones. Sehun blushes and coughs, looking back down at his food. He snickers when hearing that same woman from behind ranting about her table. About the "ghost" that blew it out.
"If only high school me had powers," Sehun chuckles.
"Well, you were born with your powers. You just couldn't summon them."
"I mean, if my high school me could manifest the magic," Sehun shakes his head. "So many paybacks."
"Ah, were you bullied?"
"Who wasn't?" Sehun shrugs. "I wasn't a huge target for them, though. I had this weird ability to kind of just...disappear."
"Like air," Kai smirks and Sehun huffs but still finding it funny.
"Like air," He repeats. 
"I was bullied in high school too," Kai says. "I got the good old stuffed into a locker treatment."
"We're you with Suho's group by then?" Sehun asks and Kai nods.
"Yeah, which is why I just teleported out of there."
"You just teleported out of there?" Sehun raises his brow. Kai nods, again.
"Just...poof," Kai chuckles. "The bullies hadn't even taken their eyes off of it. So when they opened the locker, saw me gone. They all freaked the hell out."
Sehun covers his mouth, trying to keep his food in his mouth. "No way."
"Yep," Kai picks at his food with his fork. "They wouldn't talk or even look at me."
Sehun slowly shakes his head. "You're amazing." He sighs.
Kai's cheek flushes a little. "I don't think so."
"I think you are," Sehun smiles. "You got stabbed when you were only, what, 14? 15? Convinced bullies that you were some sort of...phantom. I think all of that is incredible."
With a slightly red face, Kai keeps his gaze on the food, seemingly embarrassed. He sets his fork down and finally looks up. "Let's box this up and take a walk."


"It was Chanyeol's first mission in the group," Kai begins. "We had just fought a couple of Siwon's men and all of us were tired. So we all separated and decided to join up later after we escaped. But the thing is..." Kai stops for a moment as if trying to not laugh. "He forgot that he was a wolf and could just change anytime he needed to." Sehun lets out a small giggle but lets him continue. "He ran all the way from the Han river...to the manor."
Sehun widens his eyes and lets out a sudden, loud laugh. "From the Han river?!"
Kai nods with a grin on his face. "When he came back, we were all standing there and waiting for him. He was all sweaty and panting. We just looked at each other and then blurted out with laughter. Every single one of us, for a whole five minutes."
"Oh my god!"
"I know," Kai shakes his head. "Even Kris laughed! And Kris, well..." Kai shrugs. "That guy was too cool, you know? He didn't show a lot of emotion."
"Man..." Sehun sighs as they sit on a bench together. "The Han river to the manor..."
Kai nods. "I just teleported, Xiumin rid on Luhan's wolf, and Kris used his flight abilities."
"And Chanyeol was so tired, that he forgot to change? AND he ran that far?"
"Crazy, I know."
Sehun leans his head back to the look at the sky, shaking his head. "Wow...that's...kinda far."
"You're telling me," Kai leans back. "I almost died from laughter.  All of us were in tears."
Sehun hums and looks over at a party of some teenagers laughing and messing around.  "It sounds likes you guys had a lot of fun."
"Did you leave any friends behind? Before you joined us?"
"No," Sehun admits. "I didn't really have any friends. I have a coworker that talks to me sometimes but no friends."
Kai looks over at Sehun. "Then...it must be overwhelming at the manor."
"At first," Sehun admits. "There's a lot of guys and all of them want to get to know me." He pulls a knee up, extending his other leg out. "A lot of names and faces to remember. A lot of powers too." 
"I was the same," Kai slowly nods as he looks forward. "Kris is the one who trained me with the staff."
"Kris did?"
"Yeah...he was a really strict teacher but...you know, it worked. He wanted all of us to be ready." All of a sudden, Kai's strict training lessons made complete sense. With his own strict teacher, its no wonder he's so hard on Sehun. Even with this friendlier attitude towards Sehun, he's still extremely harsh with training. He knows it's not personal, anyway. 
 Kai sighs and stands, grabbing the boxed food. "It's getting late. You wanna go?"
Sehun nods, stretching as soon as he stands as well. He watches as Kai smiles down at him, but slowly frowns when he glances behind him. A man stands nearby, staring at them with dark, hooded eyes. His hair is short, messy, and light blonde. He slowly lifts his hand, a cracking noise coming soon after. Kai narrows his eyes, barely even turning his head. In a single motion, he drops the food and wraps his arm around Sehun, teleporting them out of the way of a large ice spike misses them.
Sehun gasps and looks at the man, his expression unchanging. He forms more ice in his hands, quickly walking towards them. Kai grabs Sehun's hand and turns, running into an alley, making several turns. His heart beats fast as crackling is close behind them. Sehun turns as they reach a dead end, his back facing both Kai and the wall. He gasps as the man appears, his expression still emotionless. His aura feels so cold, like ice. "S-should we fight?"
"No," Kai says from behind. "Get on my back." Sehun doesn't pay attention to much of the noise coming from Kai; focused mainly on the man approaching. When he hears a low growl, however, that's when he turns and sees it. A large, black wolf with golden eyes. The same wolf from last time. He widens his eyes.
"Kai?" When the wolf just kneels, he understands. He swallows hard and nods, hesitantly getting on his back. He grips onto his black fur, staring at it in disbelief. Sehun hugs the wolf tightly. He gasps again and buries his face as soon as Kai stands and jumps; he jumps onto the wall, using it to help launch himself off and over the man. Sehuns turns and looks back, feeling nervous as everything quickly passes them by; some things blurry as Kai runs. Riding on a wolf is...exciting. With the wind blowing through his hair. He slowly sits up, keeping his hands still gripped around fur. But when Kai jumps again, Sehun shrieks and lays back on his belly, hugging the wolf desperately.

Kai only finally stops when they're far enough away; the man nowhere in sight. The wolf looking around in all directions, seeming to be on the lookout for any danger. When he kneels back down, Sehun slowly gets off. He laughs nervously as his legs feel practically like jelly. When he almost stumbles back, Kai uses his head to help balance him. As soon as he gains feeling back in his legs, he stands up correctly and backs up; trying to give Kai the room he needs. He watches in awe as he watches the wolf morph back into his human form. As soon as the black smoke settles, he lets out a long sigh.
"I think we're safe for now."
"Wow..." Sehun lets out a shaky sigh, the man on longer on his mind. "That was amazing!"
"What was?" Kai looks at him in confusion. "Almost getting impaled?"
"The ride!"
"Ah..." Kai chuckles. "I forgot it was your first ride."
"It wasn't anything like riding in a car or...or a horse, even!" Kai crosses his arms and leans back, smirking as Sehun goes on. "It was so scary but...warm! And your fur is so soft!" He blushes and looks down, shyly fiddling with his fingers. "I mean..."
Kai goes up to him and grabs his shoulders. "Are you alright? Did he hurt you?"
Sehun shakes his head slowly. "N-no, I'm alright. Who..who was he? He had magic like Xiumin."
"Eunhyuk, one of Siwon's boys."
"He..." Sehun looks up at Kai. "He was there when I was being drowned, by Siwon."
Kai furrows his brows at that. "What? I didn't see him."
"When I was being, you know...my hands and feet were trapped by some ice."
"Huh..." Kai puts his hands on his hips, obviously confused.
"Unless Siwon can use both water and frost?"
"No," Kai shakes his head. "Siwon would have used it against us if he did."
"So Eunhyuk WAS there..." Sehun shivers. After a moment, he decides to try and forget about it. He said he was going to enjoy himself and he was. Even with that man attacking; the wolf ride made it so much more worth it. "Hey uh..." He smiles shyly again. "I had fun tonight."
"Me too...Let's go home." 
"Even if we live together, it's common courtesy to walk me home anyway," He says, following him towards the direction of the tunnel.
Kai shakes his head as he laughs, beginning their walk. 
"Alright," He agrees. "I'll do better; I'll walk you to your room."