Alternate Reality Part 3

Wolves Among Us

 

 

Sehun gasps as Heechul sends more fire his way, magic whizzing by him. He’s able to dodge in time, using his wind to push it away as he twirls off to the side. He pants heavily as he sweats profusely.

 

“Excellent!” Heechul loudly cheers. “You’re learning fast!”

 

Groaning, he falls to his knees and looks at the burns on his arms. “A few burns but I think I got it down,” He laughs, cringing at the stinging sensation. He sighs and sits back as Leeteuk comes over, starting to heal them.

 

“You really are a fast learner,” Leeteuk says as well.  

Heechul stands beside Sehun and crosses his arms, looking up at Siwon’s office window. He purses his lips, seeming to be in deep thought. “Let’s go into town, ace card.”

 

Sehun smiles, accepting when the healer helps him up. “Ace card?” He asks and grabs his shirt, pulling it on. Leeteuk isn’t that strong of a fighter, but he’s an amazing healer; only leaving scars where burns were.

 

“Ace card!” Heechul repeats as he pulls his own shirt on, buttoning it up. He leaves a few buttons at the top undone, revealing several necklaces. Not that Sehun will ever say it to his face but he definitely thinks Heechul is extremely hot. No pun intended, of course. “Your power is the only one Suho doesn’t have. I really think with you on our side, it’ll be his downfall.”

 

“R-really?” Sehun grabs his new mentor’s arm when offered.

 

“Oh yeah,” He says as he leads them from the training yard and through the large building. “I really think you’ll be able to take them by surprise with your power. And during such a short time of training, your wind has gotten damn strong.” He opens the car door, ushering Sehun inside. Once inside the driver’s seat, he starts the engine. “You’re one angry boy,” He chuckles.

 

“I guess I never realized. But all this...limitless power really feels nice.”

 

“Doesn’t it?” Heechul chuckles.

 

“I have to know,” Sehun says after a moment. “I...noticed you don’t use your left hand when you use magic.”

 

Heechul lets out a long sigh. “Suho has this healer, Lay,” He begins. “He permanently damaged it after he plunged a knife in it.”

 

Sehun gasps. “Oh my god, s-so you can’t use your left hand? At all?”

 

“I can’t manifest fire, but I can still hold magic in both of them.”

 

“That’s horrible, Heechul!” Sehun exclaims. “God, That...I can’t even imagine the pain…”

 

“It was...” Heechul sighs. “...Excruciating.” After he parks, Sehun doesn’t wait for his mentor to open the door for him and hops out.

 

“You parked by my favorite park!” Sehun gasps happily as he runs over to his favorite pond. He sits at the bench and sighs happily, glad for the break.

 

Heechul chuckles beside him and pats his head. “So easily pleased,” He mutters. “Just stay here and relax; I have things to take care of.”

 

Sehun hums happily and leans back, barely registering when his mentor walks off and leaves him. He grabs his camera, lifting it up to his eye. “That’s a nice camera you have.” Sehun jumps a little, looking up at a man nearby. His features look similar to Siwon’s but he doubts they’re related.

 

“Me?” Sehun smiles at his camera and shakes his head. “No, I’m not,” He laughs. “It’s just a hobby.”

 

“Do you mind if I sit here?”

 

“No, not at all,” Sehun says, scooting to give the man room.

 

“That burn scar looks painful,” He says, motioning to Sehun’s bare arm. He looks down at it and shrugs.

 

“Oh, no, I’m okay,” Sehun slowly nods. “Just an accident a few weeks ago,” He lies. It was technically an accident; he doubts Heechul actually tried to hurt him. The man smiles and Sehun can feel himself begin to relax. He has a nice, gentle presence; the kind that puts him at ease. Sehun returns the warm expression, looking back down at his camera. “Uh...I’m Sehun. It’s nice to meet you.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you, indeed. I’m Junmyeon,” The man introduces.

 

Sehun’s smile falters as he slowly looks back up at Junmyeon. He stares at him for a moment. “Do you...have a brother, Junmyeon?” Sehun asks in an almost whisper.

 

“Um,” Junmyeon laughs and looks at him oddly. “Yes, I do. But we don’t speak anymore; what a strange question, Sehun.”

 

“Sehun, get away from that man!” Heechul shouts, swiftly approaching as Sehun quickly stands.

 

“This is Suho?!” Sehun glares at the man darkly.

 

Suho stares at them in shock but seems to finally realize the situation and stand as well. He looks to Sehun and then to Heechul. “I see my brother caught another poor soul in his web,” Suho scoffs. “You no doubt being his manipulative puppet master.”

 

“Don’t talk to Heechul like that!” Sehun practically spits.

 

Suho frowns. “What lies did they tell you? Did they tell you that I’m evil?”

 

“Siwon told me you’d try to manipulate me!” Sehun argues, stepping in front of Heechul protectively. The man looks a bit sad and it makes Sehun falter a bit. But when he remembers what their new leader told him, he stands his ground. And he even gets mad. All of the disgusting things Suho has done in the past. Even now, trying to act like a victim to seem innocent. He won’t trick Sehun, not after all the things he knows this monster has done.

 

“Sehun, he approached you?” Heechul asks, setting his hands on his pupil’s shoulder.

 

“Yeah,” Sehun watches Suho suspiciously. “Right before you left.”

 

Heechul scoffs. “Look at you, Suho. You must think you can approach Sehun, steal him from your brother; no doubt spin some lies.”

 

“I see,” Suho chuckles and crosses his arms. “So, how new is this boy? He must not be well trained.”

 

“Oh, he’s a faster learner, Suho,” His mentor replies. “But it’s very pathetic, approaching Sehun while he’s alone.”

 

“I wasn’t-”

 

“I know you had me followed!” Sehun cuts him off. “So no excuses, you KNEW who I was! You wanted to have me killed before I learned my abilities!”

 

Suho raises his brows. “Is...that what my brother told you?”

 

“He didn’t have to!” Sehun sneers.

 

Suho stares at the two of them. A suddenly smoke of black air appears beside him, a man appearing inside. Sehun lets out a gasp when he recognizes it as the man who followed him that night. “Suho, what’s…” The man stops and glowers at the two. “Heechul!” He growls.

 

“Ahh, your little dog is here too,” Heechul chuckles, pulling Sehun away from the two, seeming protective. “Why am I not surprised? Of course, you wouldn’t leave your precious little hole without protection; like the coward you are.”

 

“I told you he was with Siwon,” The man mutters to Suho as he stares at Sehun. The air user looks at him and glares back. “Suho, we can take them both right now; let’s get them out of the way-”

 

“No,” Suho puts his hand up and shakes his head. “I will have no deaths. We’re leaving...for now.”

 

“Ah, running with your tail between your legs,” Heechul mocks.

 

“We will meet again, Sehun,” Siwon’s brother says. “Perhaps next time, it’s under more peaceful terms.”

 

Sehun frowns, watching as the two leave as quickly as they both came. Heechul stays planted in front of him until they disappear. After sighing, his mentor turns and grins widely. “Fantastic! Just like Siwon and I taught you, you didn’t fall for Suho’s pathetic attempts.”

 

“He seemed...so nice,” Sehun says in confusion.

 

“That’s how he gets you, Sehun!” Heechul says. Wrapping an arm around Sehun’s shoulder, he starts to lead them towards the car. “It’s really how he gets in your head. He acts like he’s a pacifist,”

 

Sehun slowly nods. “But he’s not?”

 

His mentor smirks and shakes his head. “Oh no, not at all. Do you really think he’d be a pacifist and still have one of his damn men permanently wound my left hand?”

 

“No, you’re right,” Sehun stops and hugs himself, shivering at the memory of earlier. “H-he seemed so nice. God, It’s kind of scary, Heechul…”

 

“I know,” Heechul smiles. “But I’m proud of you; you didn’t give away what your power is; he has NO idea. I wanted you to be a surprise for our next mission but…”

 

“Mission?”

 

His mentor’s grin turns wider. “Come on, let’s get something to eat and I’ll tell you all about it.”




 

“There’s something I want your help with, ace card,” Heechul says, grabbing Sehun’s hand as he leads him towards their building. “Actually, it’s a reward.”

 

A reward?” Sehun looks at him oddly as his mentor leads him inside.

 

“You’ve been doing very, very well these last past months,” Heechul explains. When they reach the door of a room, he stops and turns to smile at his pupil. “Now, Sehun, I don’t want you to freak out,” He goes on. “Siwon wanted you to join me in this...I consider it a reward for you but he considers it a...final test.”

 

“A test?” Sehun asks. “A test for what?”

 

“To see if you’re the right person for our next mission,” He replies. He grabs Sehun’s shoulders and looks into his eyes .”I know what you’re about to see is very, very shocking. But I have hopes for you, and you need to remember that these people are evil,” he says. “Evil people that would kill us .”

 

Sehun slowly nods. “R-right.”

 

“We’re only doing this because if they had the chance, they’d do it too and...we’re just trying to protect our friends.”

 

Sehun nods again, this time more quickly. “I-I get it. You guys are just protecting your loved ones,”

 

Heechul smiles and nods as well. He gives Sehun’s cheek a gentle pat. “Remember, I don’t want you freaking out.” After a moment, his mentor finally pushes the door open, letting Sehun step in first. When he looks in, he lets out a gasp and covers his mouth. A tall man is strapped to a chair, his orange hair disheveled and his eyes wide. His mouth is duct taped shut as he thrashes around.

 

“O-oh my god!”

 

“His name is Chanyeol,” Heechul announces as he ushers Sehun inside, shutting the door behind them. “He’s the fire-user for Suho’s team.”

 

“A-are we….going to torture him?” Sehun’s voice shakes as he stares at the man.

 

“Sehun, I told you- It’s them or us. If we don’t find out where they’re sending their people, some of OUR boys could die.”

 

The air-user frowns when Heechul slowly hands him a knife. “An...ambush?”

 

“That’s right,” His mentor goes behind him and grabs his shoulders tightly. He leans in and whispers. “Remember, you’re powerful. You’re my little ace card.”

 

Sehun smiles sheepishly, closing his eyes briefly. He’s powerful, he’s Heechul’s ace card. He wants to keep these guys safe, he wants to make Heechul happy and proud. He takes a step close to the man and opens his eyes. He raises the knife, the metal of the blade glistening. “Okay. I’ll do it.”