Private Lesson

Wolves Among Us

His hands are like ice as they close in a vice-like grip around his neck. The calm look in Siwon's eyes as his grip became tighter and tighter. Sehun's breathing threatening to stop. He fights back, ice digs into his skin, draws blood, and burns as water fills his lungs. Darkness overwhelms him slowly as he becomes more and more frantic. Sehun's feels his arms give up. Lungs burning ever so painfully as darkness overcame his sight. Siwon says something to him. He tries to read his lips.
Fire's crackle echoes in his mind, Heechul's laughter, and smoke. They watch as he falls, falls, and falls. He falls until-

Sehun gasps as he opens his eyes, quickly looking around.  Sweat drips from his forehead, nose, lips, everything; causing his bed and clothes to be soaked. He pants as he checks his throat, his chest heaving heavily. When recognizing where he is, he lowers his head, tears falling from his wet face.

"Just...a dream," Sehun says shakily."Just a dream." After kicking the covers off with his feet, he walks over to the window. As soon as he opens it, a soft breeze greets him. He pushes his bangs away from his eyes and lets out a sigh. He hates feeling this way. The way he felt so useless. So...weak. He sighs and glances over at the barrel in the training grounds. He wants to be stronger, for everyone. 

Sehun stands in the middle of the courtyard, gently swinging the long, wooden staff he had grabbed. He lets out a sigh of frustration after dropping it a few times. After a few more swings and a smack to the face, Sehun throws it down angrily.
"I don't get it!" He huffs. He sighs and sits onto the ground, using the weapon to smack at the grass. 
"That's not exactly how to use it."
Sehun looks over his shoulder and sighs. "I know..."Kai stands there quietly before walking over and sitting next to Sehun. They both stare at Lay's garden in silence.
"How's your arm?"
"It doesn't hurt anymore," Sehun says, pulling his knees up and resting his chin on them. "Lay helped out a lot." They go back to just staring, the sounds of forest replacing their brief conversation. Sehun looks down at his wrists, where Siwon's ice had dug into him as he fought. He shivers at the memory.
"Suho told me you saw my wolf," Kai finally speaks up.
"I did," Sehun slowly nods. "Barely but I saw- right before I out."
"I see...and Suho told you?"
"That there are only four wolves."
Kai extends his legs and sighs. "Tao and Kris were wolves too."
"Siwon and the others are that strong?"
"Yeah..." Kai stands up again, grabbing the staff. When motioned, Sehun does as well. "I don't want to lose another member. So let's practice."
"Right...now?"
Kai grabs another staff from the barrel and nods, tossing it to him. He smiles when Sehun actually catches it. "Consider it private lessons."
"Wow," Sehun sighs. "Lucky me."
"Look, you actually caught it this time. You're one step closer to being Siwon's downfall," Kai reassures him. "Also, we have something they don't."
"What's that? A wimp?"
"A wind user," Kai says, ignoring Sehun's snarky comment. "Siwon doesn't have any."
Sehun looks hopeful at that. "Really?"
"Really. And I'll bet he doesn't even know your power yet." Kai sets his staff down again, walking around and behind Sehun. "Also, you're holding it wrong." He brings his arms round Sehun, holding his elbows. 
"Why didn't you tell me before?" 
"Because it was just funny before," Kai says. "It's not anymore; you almost died." Kai's right. Sehun almost died. He frowns at the sudden realization. He almost died. "Hey," Kai whispers and Sehun suddenly shivers at the warmth near his ear. He's suddenly VERY aware of Kai and his...strong, muscular arms. 
"You're alright."
"Right," Sehun laughs shakily. His knees buckle a little, and it's not from fatigue.
"What are you doing?" Kai brings his hand down, pushing Sehun's legs and forcing him to stand straight. "I told you-you need a confident stance." Confident stance. He can do that. He can focus. "It's all in your footwork. More fight is in your legs than the weapon, so practice it to add force to your blows." Kai goes back to Sehun's elbows. "The strike is the primary and most useful move." He guides Sehun's arms diagonally towards the southwest, and then southeast. He feels his face grow warm when Kai grabs Sehun's hips and pushes him in the right direction. 

"Actually..." Kai brings his hands back up to Sehun's arms, seeming to be careful of his burn wound. Sehun smiles, thankful for that. "When you got the basic stance and primary attack down...try flowing your magic through the staff."
"What?"
"No one else is able to do this, due to the nature of their powers," Kai explains. "Chanyeol tried once and he burned it to a crisp. But with your powers of wind..."
"I can incorporate them into my swings and blows," Sehun finishes and Kai nods.
"See? You're getting it." Sehun is disappointed when Kai lets go to return to his spot; his back suddenly cold again. He sighs, trying to focus. Why did Sehun feel like that all of a sudden? It's not like he's ever been like this before. Not once. No boyfriend, no girlfriend. He didn't even have any friends before joining this group. Being here actually makes Sehun realize how lonely he had been. Now his usual quiet, lonely nights are replaced with loud, busy chatter between eight other boys. Kai waits for him every night after work to help teleport him back to the manor. He never sees the other members do that, so he wonders if they don't have any jobs. He only ever sees them doing hobbies or train. Some are missing when he arrives but Suho says they're either sleeping, out on a mission, or relaxing elsewhere.

"Don't regret what happened," Kai begins to say. "Your time with Siwon made you stronger, so you should thank him for it." Thanking Siwon? For almost killing him? "If Siwon and Heechul hadn't singled you out, you wouldn't be like this-wanting to get better. You're stronger for this, never forget that." Kai smiles at him slowly. "In fact, I think Siwon made a very, very big mistake. The next time you meet him, you'll be ready."
Sehun sighs as he practices his swings, listening to him talk. He has to admit- Kai made sense and it makes him feel better. Much better.
"How can you be so sure?"
"Trust me. There's already a difference in you. Like your own kind of fire," Kai slowly circles Sehun, observing him closely. "I knew you had one. Siwon just sparked it."

"I-I don't know," Sehun stutters but Kai just shakes his head.
"You need to have confidence in yourself, Sehun. Your powers are useless if you don't." Useless. The last thing Sehun ever wants to be. Because he remembers when Siwon had him pinned. All his magic did for him was give him a gentle breeze- not helping him at all. Maybe it knocked over a few boxes but it did nothing. Siwon still got him. Siwon almost killed him. If he meets him face to face again, he'll try again.
And if Sehun's not careful, he'll succeed this time.