Put To Rest

Wolves Among Us

Kai has barely left Sehun's side since he had returned a few days ago. He insists on sleeping in the same room all the time, being outside the bathroom when Sehun bathes. Even as Sehun sits in the living room, Kai sticks to his side. It's not like he minds anyway. The constant presence comforts him. 

"What's that?" Kai asks when Sehun pulls the rock out from his pocket. He's unsure why he kept it, but it makes him a little more relaxed. He's been agitated since he's returned. 

"One of Siwon's boy's gave it to me," Sehun responds as he leans his head on the wolf's shoulder.

"And...you kept it?"

"Yes," Sehun smiles a little. "He helped me escape."

"He...HELPED you?"

Sehun nods. "He gave me the key to my door and the sewers."

Kai slowly grabs Sehun's hand, holding it tightly. After he had showered on the day of his return, Kai snuck into the bed with him. He held Sehun as he cried, tried to kiss away his memories. It worked enough to put him asleep, but that's it. Even now, Heechul and Siwon visit him in his dreams. Haunt him even when he's in the safe arms of his lover. He's scared and afraid; expecting one of them to crawl through his window and take him away. Torture and kill him this time. 

"Why did Baekhyun give you a lid-up rock?" D.O asks as he enters the room. He sets a plate and cup of tea on the coffee table, offering it to Sehun. He sets the rock down before accepting it.

"He didn't," Sehun responds. D.O raises a brow at him, confused. "Um...one of...Siwon's boys did; Ryeowook."

"I don't..." D.O suddenly looks down at the rock, staring at it. Afraid he might, Sehun reaches over to take it back. But when the light suddenly flicks before going out altogether, all three of them stop.

"Oh," Sehun sighs. "I guess the magic ran out."

D.O stares at the rock and his eyes are wide. A variety of emotions fill the man's eyes. "D.O?" Sehun frowns. "W-what's wrong?"

"Oh god," Kai whispers as D.O slowly stands.

"I um...hope you enjoy your meal," D.O's voice is quiet and horse. He slowly turns and walks up the stairs. Sehun can hear a door gently close a few seconds later. Both Kai and Sehun stares at the rock again.

"Does...he not like rocks?"

Kai shakes his head, standing as well. "Let's...take a walk. I have something to explain to you."

"Okay," Sehun says in confusion, accepting when Kai helps him up. He glances back at the rock before he holds the wolf's hand and exits the manor. 

"There's something you need to know about magic," Kai starts to explain. "Our magic doesn't really...last forever."

"What do you mean? Like, we'll eventually lose it?"

"No," Kai shakes his head as he sits on a nearby bench that overlooks the front of the manor. Sehun joins him, his movements still careful from his earlier wounds. "No, Sehun. Our...magic stays with us as long as we're alive."

"I thought so."

Kai stares at him for a moment before looking back at the house. "It's the same thing with Siwon's men. Sehun, I'm trying to tell you that..."

"Oh no..." Sehun whispers, covering his mouth.

"Ryewook's...magic would only go out like that if he..."

"Oh...oh my god," Sehun stares forward, sudden realization hitting him like a truck. He killed Ryeowook. He died because he freed Sehun. "It's my...it's my fault!" He quickly stands.

"Sehun, no," Kai sighs. "Babe, it's NOT your fault. Ryeowook helped you KNOWING the consciences."

"Oh my ing god," Sehun gasps. "He KNEW he was going to die!" He stares at the ground for a moment before swallowing hard. "I...I have to talk to D.O."

"No, it's better if you-"

"No, no- I have to talk to him," Sehun interrupts, not waiting for Kai as he quickly makes his way back towards the manor. He skips several steps of the stairs. He knocks on D.O's door and patiently waits. When there are no responds, Sehun sighs. "I KNOW you're awake. We-we have to talk."

"Sehun, please-"

"Ryeowook helped me escaped, Kyungsoo," Sehun calls out. "We need to talk."

There are a few moments of silence as D.O sits in silence. He finally shifts around before there's the sound of a door unlocking. When Sehun enters, D.O is sitting on his bed and staring out the window; the rock from earlier in his hands. Sehun slowly closes the door and goes to sit beside his teacher. "We knew each other as children," D.O says. He looks down at the rock. "We...used to be best friends; until Siwon came into the picture."

"What...what happened?"

"Every single member here has almost died at one point," D.O says. "Siwon almost ended my life, as well as yours. Mine almost ended when he forced Ryeowook to torture me for two weeks."

Sehun looks at his mentor and frowns. "He...forced him?"

"Siwon told him that if he didn't torture and kill me, he would kill Ryeowook's girlfriend. And he made his choice," D.O whispers. "But he was in...SO much pain the whole time. But I grew a strong hatred for him; for choosing someone over me. I was young and foolish..."

"No one can blame you, though."

"I know, but I wish I had more self-control."

Sehun looks at D.O's hands as he turns the piece of earth around. "D.O." His mentor hums in response. "The...night Ryeowook helped me escape..." Sehun sighs. "He told me that he's atoning for the past."

D.O scoffs. "Atoning for the past..."

"And he also said...to tell you that...that's he's sorry," Sehun whispers. "That he's SO sorry and that he missed you."

"He did, huh?" D.O's voice is low. He sniffs as he lowers his head and clenches the rock. His shoulders begin to shake as he cries softly. Sehun swallows hard and wraps an arm around his mentor; the man's armor is completely breaking down for the first time. D.O leans into Sehun and quietly sobs. They stay there for a moment before the boy tightly wraps his arms around Sehun and buries his face in his chest. Unsure what to do, Sehun stares at him with surprise. He opens his mouth to say something, but he closes it. After a soft sigh, he returns the tight hug, letting his mentor cling to him. He's always acted so strong and unphased by everything. He never got sad, angry, or anything. He's always extremely patient with Sehun, regardless of the boy's lack of physical skill. But as his teacher sits here and cries for an old friend, Sehun realizes that they're all the same after all. It doesn't matter how many protective layers someone puts on. In the end, there's only so much one can take. For Kai and D.O, they never seem to get emotional or let anything get to them. For people like Sehun and Xiumin, they both cry so easily when pained. But when it gets down to the bare bones, everyone cries — all of them.


"Why are we all gathered?" Chen asks in confusion, looking around at the other boys. Sehun had invited everyone to meet at the training grounds that night. Chanyeol and Baekhyun put firewood in a large fire pit. When they pour gas over the logs, Baekhyun shrugs.

"Sehun said he wanted us here," The redhead says.

As soon as the other boys come out and join them, Sehun stands up and goes to the pit. He swallows hard at the iron container. He pulls three pieces of cloth from his pocket, staring at the symbols. He didn't know why he kept it, but he does now. "I-I um..."He clears his throat. "C-Chanyeol, can you?" With a smile and a nod, Chanyeol quickly goes to his side and sets the logs on fire. All of the boys watch as Sehun raises his hand and fans them to grow. He turns and clenches the clothes once again.
"When I fought Siwon for the first time after he tried to drown me..." Sehun begins. "During our fight, I found myself in the basement. I hid in...I hid in a strange room." He tries to keep his head up. "It was an incinerator." The boys glance at each other in confusion. "I-It had a lot of dried blood around it and cloth scattered all around. I found these." Sehun motions to the fabric in his hands. "And I've kept them since." He slowly goes to Kai and smiles at him. His hands tremble as he hands him the cloth with Luhan's symbol on it. Kai stares at it, his usually strong eyes soften. 

Sehun goes to Baekhyun next, handing him Tao's. The redhead slowly runs his fingers over the print. "I haven't seen this...since he..." Chanyeol goes up to Baekhyun's side, quick to begin comforting him. When Sehun goes to Lay next, he stares at Kris' symbol. Once it's handed to him, The healer keeps his hand placed over Sehun's reassuringly. 

When his hand is released, Sehun goes back to the pit. "Please, d-don't get upset, but I think this is the only thing..." He takes a deep breath. "Y-you guys can't bury...them..."

"I see," Suho says. His smile is sad as he walks over, standing beside Sehun; he wraps his arm around the boy's shoulder. "You want us...to use..." When Sehun nods, the leader laughs softly. He rubs his eye and nods. "We don't have bodies to bury, so we'll use these; to put them to rest."

Baekhyun sniffs as slowly goes to the pit, clenching the symbol. "Tao..." He gently tosses it in, staring as it burns in flames. "You big idiot...getting yourself killed..." He wipes his eyes with a single finger. "The biggest...ing...diva I've ever met." Sehun smiles sadly. From the first day, he's met Baekhyun, it's been apparent that the guy has a hard time expressing his emotions without getting embarrassed. He crosses his arms tightly, tears threatening his eyes.  When Kai comes up, he doesn't hesitate to grab onto Sehun's hand tightly. He holds up the dark fabric and lets out a sigh. 

"Luhan's always been a big crybaby," Kai says. Some of the boys chuckle in agreement. "Always trying to seem all manly." He smiles as he stares at it. "I miss it." They both watch as it burns as well. Sehun squeezes his hands and leans his head against Kai's shoulder. His hearts hurts when Lay walks up. A small, defeated healer, clutching to one of the last things that connect him to Kris. He slowly kneels and hugs it to his chest. He reminds silent, but everyone here knows that's all that needs to be said. No words can describe the way the healer and Kris bonded. While Sehun never saw them together, he's seen the pain. The hurt and anguish in the man's dark eyes as he thinks of his old love every single day. 

"I'm..." Lay brings the cloth up to his face. "I'm sorry...I'm sorry, Yifan."He touches his chest as more tears begin to fall. He's slow to stand and to let go. But when he does, his fingers just barely enter the fire. Sehun watches as mist surrounds the burns, quickly mending them. As the cotton burns, Lay closes his eyes and stands in silence. Suho lets go of Sehun and walk over to Lay. He gently puts a hand on the healer's back, accepting when he turns and hugs the leader tightly. By the look in Lay's eyes, something inside of him changed.


Sehun glances back at the other boys, all of them standing in silences as they hold each other.  "I wish I knew them," Sehun whispers and Kai smiles.

"They all would have adored you," He responds. While this doesn't heal any pain, Sehun hopes it was the right thing to do. The four members all step back with the others, all watching the flames and smoke as it disappears into the cold, night sky.