New Goals

Wolves Among Us

Sehun wipes the water from his face and eyes as he pants heavily; his chest heaving. He pushes his wet hair from face and groans. Suho stands some feet away, water in his hands. "Come on, Sehun," he sighs. "You need to concentrate!"

"I'm trying!" Sehun mumbles. "It's hard when I'm being splashed with water." Suho watches him for a moment before seeming to change his water, like a tide. Sehun takes a step back when it becomes a whip. He's been begging Suho to at least try and hurt him but the leader always refused. Up until now, it seems. He lets out a yelp and dodges to the side when Suho raises his arm and whips down. 

"Going up against Siwon won't just be a splash of water, Sehun," Suho says as he forms another whip. It stung just as badly as Siwon's did, if not more. Sehun grabs his staff but Suho smacks it out of his hand. "No! Only protect yourself with your magic; you won't always have a weapon!"

Sehun rubs his hand, surprised at Suho's sudden aggression. "Focus, Sehun!" D.O shouts from the sidelines. "You're a tornado! Not a breeze! Make his water into rain!" Sehun cries out at another whip to his arm. He holds onto the new, red mark on him and groans. He didn't know how to do any of that; how could he? He glances over at Kai, who seems to be watching them both carefully. He looks over at Baekhyun at the far side of the training grounds. He watches as the boy practices with dual and throwing knives. "Knives," Sehun mumbles. He stands up and forces himself to focus. He needs to remember what he did with Siwon. When he focused on his throat, a ball of wind manifesting in his mind and when he grabbed it. All it was is air.

Sehun tries to imagine knives. Thousands of knives in his mind, morphing that ball of air into something sharp and deadly. When manifested in his mind, Sehun reaches out, gripping them tightly between his fingers. He can feel the air on his hands now. He opens his eyes and looks back at Suho, extending his arm back. Suho extends his arm back as well and pause. When snapping the water down, Sehun takes that moment to throw the air in his hands. He gasps again when he's hit once again but suddenly smiles when he notices some holes cuts in the water. "So it worked," Sehun thinks and stands up straight. He imagines the daggers, grabs them, extends his arm again. It's only six in the morning, and he knows exactly what to practice now. 

Every time Suho hits him with his water, Sehun tries to focus on cutting it, making it into rain. "Perhaps instead of daggers, what about a net?" D.O says as he steps next to him. 

"A net?" Sehun asks and he nods.

"The kind you use to catch fish," D.O explains.

Sehun forgets about the daggers for now and imagines a huge fish net; small, tiny holes that cut. He does exactly the same thing he does with the daggers. He imagines it in his head before grabbing the sides. Sehun looks up just as D.O summons a small rock and throwing it hard at him. He puts his hands up, the next extend in front of him. A wave of air hits him as the rock collides, grumbling down into sand. Sehun stares as it flows off into the wind.  "Excellent," D.O nods. "You're doing well!" Sehun smiles shyly at that. A compliment from someone like D.O means a lot. "I think this fishnet can be very helpful for almost every element. All except for fire." He stops and thinks for a moment. "Stay here and practice, alright? I'll send Kai down to-"

Sehun lets out a shriek when a sudden black smoke appears beside him, Kai now standing beside him. He stares at him with wide eyes. "Why must you keep doing that?!" Kai grins and says nothing, crossing his arms. 

"Kai, I have to go into town to do something. Can you help Sehun practice?"

"Sure," Kai smiles down at Sehun, causing his knees to buckle a little.

"Take a break, for now, Sehun. Continue your fishnet afterward," D.O says before patting his back and heading back off into the manor. When Kai sits and motions for Sehun, he obediently goes to him. He sits with his back against a tree and Sehun between his legs. Sehun watches as Kai reaches extends his own hand out. This feeling is new for Sehun. New, but welcomed. "Kris once told me..." Kai begins, seeming to observe his own fingers. "True love is telepathic and can connect their fingers even with their eyes closed."

"That's beautiful," Sehun sighs. From what he's heard, Kris had a lot of wisdom. "You sound like everyone respects him a great deal."

"He was kind of a father figure," Kai chuckles. "You would have liked him." Sehun figures if Kai did, he probably would too. Sehun watches the other boy train nearby.  He smiles when Suho approaches them.

"Did I hurt you badly, Sehun?" He asks apologetically, handing them both a water bottle.

"No," Sehun shakes his head. "You only did what I hope you'd do."

"I didn't want to be so rough when helping you train..."

"It's good you were," Kai agrees. "He needs to be ready. For not just Siwon. The harder you are on him, the better."

"Speaking of which," Chen approaches them, his arms crossed. "We need to talk about him and his boys."

Suho sits as well, looking up at him oddly. "What do you mean? Has something happened?"

"No," Chen shrugs. "But I think we should kill them."

Sehun stares at Chen with wide-eyes, surprised by his brutal honesty. "K-kill them?"

"Chen, we talked about this," Suho sighs.

"Yeah, we did. That's before we killed three of our boys and almost our new one! What happens if he killed another one of us? We're just going to keep our stupid peace rule?! Sit with our thumbs up our asses?!"

"Chen-"

"No!" Chen stomps his foot, a hint of electricity emanating from him. "I'm sick of him taking us all down! I'm not going to lose any more friends, Suho! I'm ing sick of it!" They all sit and stands there in silence. An uncomfortable and sudden grim mood replaces the previous one. Kai lowers his hand to his knee,  seeming to have nothing to say or unsure what to say. Sehun swallows hard as he stares at the grass. "Look," Chen sighs as well. "All I'm saying is...the next time they put us in a situation where it's us or them, I'm killing one of them."

"That makes us just as ba-"

"Just as bad?" Chen scoffs. "Suho, your brother isn't going to stop! He's not going to stop until we're ALL dead and you know that! The others agree, Suho! That er will only stop when you're forced to see our dead, limp bodies before he takes your life out of you; brother or not!"

Suho opens his mouth to say something but slowly closes it. He glances at Sehun and then down at the floor. He closes his eyes and lets out a long, exasperated sigh.  All of them sit and stand in their places for several minutes. He slowly nods. "You're right," He says softly. "I just..." He stands up. "I can't bring myself to kill him," He admits. "He's my brother...How could I?"

Sehun looks up at him, frowning. Killing his own brother? How could anyone do that?  "Don't worry, Suho," Kai speaks up. "When that time comes...we'll do it; You don't have to do it."

Suho smiles sadly and slowly shakes his head. "No," he responds. "It needs to be me. I've known it for a long time but I..." He closes his eyes. "I hope, deep in my heart, that Siwon can be reached. I wish to make a final attempt to reach him but if I can't..." Suho nods. "I'll make the killing blow."

"And you'll be able to?" Chen asks, crossing his arms.

"Yes," Suho doesn't hesitate. "Chen is right. I have to, for all of you. I can't let him take any more of my boys." 

"That was easy," Chen lets out a sigh of relief. 

"I've always known this has to be the way, Chen. I just..." Suho looks up at him sadly. "I just hoped there would be a peaceful way." He coughs and stands up straight. "If you'll all excuse me, I need to...prepare new missions." Sehun watches the leader walk off, his heart aching. He really didn't want any deaths but...is this really the only way? Truly? Sehun closes his eyes and clenches his jaw.

He doesn't want to kill anyone.