Clocks and Cameras

Wolves Among Us

The tall wooden clock at the far corner of the room almost has a ticking heartbeat, the mechanical gears breathing as they slid against each other.  The night is dead silent as the never-ending ticking of the clock almost synchronizes with the beating of Sehun's heart. He tears his eyes away from the mechanical object, bringing his gaze up to the dark ceiling above. He turns his head to the side, listening to the sounds in the room next to him. Ever since that night at the warehouse, he's been exploring more with his wind; trying to use the air to be his ears. As D.O and Suho do with earth and water. How Chen and Xiumin can almost feel and see with their electricity and ice. Sehun slowly sits up and focuses on the air in the next room, trying to listen. He can hear Kai's heartbeat; it isn't slow, indicating that he isn't asleep. He glances at the clock again. Three in the morning.

Throwing his legs over the side of the bed, the cold of the wood greets his feet. He slowly opens the door and peers out the hall. Dark and silent, most of the boys asleep. The floorboards under him creek as he makes his way to Kai's door and pauses. He listens again, just to make sure. After gently knocking on the door, Kai speaks up.

"It's open," He calls out, not too loudly. Sehun steps in and closes the door behind him. Kai smiles at him, still laying on his bed. "Hey." As an invitation, Kai scoots over and makes some room beside him. Sehun goes to him without hesitation, laying with him on top of his covers. He sighs at the warmth as Kai wraps an arm around him and pulls him closer. The mechanical clock doesn't beat in this room. When Sehun looks over at it, he can already tell that it's broken. He wonders if the noise bothered Kai. Or perhaps it broke by itself and he never bothered to fix it. Can he hear it as loudly as him? It's rhythmic ticking echoing throughout his room and in his mind. "Can you not sleep?"

"No," Sehun responds in a whisper. "Can you?"

Kai lets out a sigh as well. "No."

Sehun can hear the sound of D.O and Baekhyun speak. It's faint, indicating that they weren't in the manor. "They're back from the mission," Sehun says. Kai looks down at him oddly before the sound of the front door opens and close. Their footsteps echo through the hall as they pass the door and head to Suho's office. The man has been working nonstop since that last night at the warehouse.  He sits up and listens as they speak.

"Shindog and Kibum lay dead," D.O says. There's a short moment of silences as the leader shuffles through some papers.

"Very well," He responds. His voice tired and almost sad. Suho must hate death as Sehun does. 

"They killed Shindog and Kibum," Sehun whispers. Kai sits up as well.

"How did you even hear them?" Kai asks. "I didn't-"

"Remember that night Xiumin followed me home?"

"Yeah?"

Sehun takes a deep breath. "I think I used my wind that whole time while running from him." Kai furrows his brows in confusion as he waits for Sehun to continue. "I heard his ice."

"What? Really? But...his ice is silent- almost unhearable to anyone."

"It happened again at the warehouse, Kai. I...I heard Eunhyuk's ice as it approached me from behind. I..." Sehun rubs his face. "I heard their heartbeats as they...as they died. It was so fast at first; rapid and panicked. But all of a sudden, it slowed to an almost crawl. The deafening silence that came afterward...I still think about it." 

"You can't control it?"

"Only if I really focus," Sehun admits. "Otherwise it's kind of just...random"

Kai frowns as he looks over to his door. "That makes sense," He says. "Air is everywhere. Unpredictable, wild, dangerous," he explains. "It's just like Siwon and Suho's water. At one point, they can be as simple as a ripple in a pond and then seconds later, they're a roaring tsunami; leaving dead lives in their wake." Kai leans back against the wall. "That's why Siwon is so dangerous. Unlike Suho, who is calm and collected, Siwon is unpredictable and angry."

"Baekhyun, did you run into any trouble?" Suho asks, his voice muffled. He assumes they're whispering.

"No," Baekhyun laughs softly. "Nothing Lay can't heal."

"You realize this makes you potentially one of the most dangerous in the group?" Kai laughs as well. Sehun looks at him oddly. "Let's say you learn how to control your wind as well as Suho does..." He shrugs. "Think about it, air is everywhere; every living thing needs it." Kai suddenly frowns at him. "Oh, that's why you can't sleep..."

Sehun smiles sheepishly and shrugs. "Partly my fault for trying to focus on basically any sound I could. Don't be weirded out, but it's how I knew you weren't sleeping."

Kai laughs as he lays back down, motioning for Sehun to join him. "That's pretty cool, to be honest." Sehun lays with him and rests his head on Kai's chest. They both stay silent for a moment as they listen to Baekhyun and D.O walk back out and into the hall. They speak for a moment before seeming to go into their different ways. One into their room and another downstairs. Sehun jumps a bit when Kai brings hands up and cups them over Sehun's ears. It doesn't block the sounds out, but it makes them extremely muffled. "You need to relax," He points out. "You've been tense lately."

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," Kai smiles tightly. "That...was your first body, wasn't it?"

Sehun nods. "Yes..."

"Oh," He frowns, once again covering Sehun's ears. "Stay here and sleep, then. We'll relax a little tomorrow."

"But-"

"No buts," Kai cuts in. "Just sleep and relax."

Sehun lets out a sigh as he weakly nods. He buries his face against Kai's chest, welcoming the warmth. Sehun lowers his legs and allows himself to become physically closer against Kai's body. he isn't sure what is it or how, but sleepiness suddenly hit him like a tidal wave. That's when everything becomes distant. A heart beats fast. Kai's heart. He focuses on that and just that, finding comfort in the song-like thumping. It's nothing like the two men who died. It's calm, relaxed. Slowing as he drifts off to sleep. He can't help but wonder about why Kai couldn't sleep. And maybe, just maybe, Sehun has something to do with the cure.


Sehun excitedly enters the shop, smiling when Kai opens the door for him. "A camera store?" Kai asks in confusion and Sehun nods.

"Yeah!" He hums happily before kneeling and looking into the glass display. "I didn't want to admit it but my old one broke."

"You should have told me," Kai says. "I could have picked you one up."

Sehun shakes his head as he stands up. He points for one of the cameras, watching as an employee gets it for him. "That's why."

"How do you know?" Kai snorts. 

Sehun just shrugs as he tests the camera. "I don't know, I just..."

"You just know," Kai finishes. "Seems to be like that between us."

"It's kind of an unspoken thing," Sehun points the camera towards Kai and grins. It's strange but he feels like he doesn't have to say a thing. As if Kai will automatically know what he needs or wants. Like last night, when he came into his room. Sehun didn't have to say a thing. Kai knew how to comfort him, speak to him, to put him to sleep. He even knew when to be by his side.

"Have you ever had a boyfriend., Sehun?"

"No," He admits. "I thought I told you that before. I don't mind, though; I like solitude."

"So uh," Kai crosses his arms and raises a questioning brow. "If you like your solitary, why do you keep insisting on bringing along?"

Sehun lowers the camera shyly. He clears his throat as he sets it on the counter and nods. He pulls his wallet out and slowly shrugs. Sehun mumbles, his cheeks starting to warm up. He smiles and bows respectfully when the cashier hands him a bag. "I don't know what it is but being with you...makes me feel normal." He turns away with embarrassment and pushes the door open. 

"Yeah but none of us are normal- especially you. You're...extremely exceptional"

"Now you're just trying to get on my good side," Sehun chuckles, hugging the camera close to him like a lifeline. 

"Pretty sure I got on your good side for a while now," Kai once again laughs at the embarrassed look on Sehun's face. Sehun stops at the pond he likes so much, smiling at the peaceful water below. He pulls his camera out, taking the few minutes to set it up.

"Do you think if I begged Suho enough, he'll build a dark room?"

"Probably. He's always looking for new ways to expand the manor; especially the basement." Kai steps up behind him and peers over his shoulder. 

"We have a basement?!"

Kai chuckles. "Yeah, but it's empty." He suddenly perks up and stands up correctly, no longer slouching a bit. "Sehun."

"What?" Sehun looks over and frowns when seeing Heechul walk towards them. When Kai steps forward, he shakes his head. He looks back at his camera, closing one eye as he puts the lens up. "Not today, fire-boy." Sehun isn't scared of Heechul, just mad. HE burnt down HIS apartment. 

"Whoa," Heechul chuckles, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "Fiery."

"I'm not in the mood," Sehun says calmly. 

"Awww, are you on a date?"

Sehun lowers his camera and glares over at him. The wind suddenly picks up as if a storm is approaching.  He stares into his eyes angrily. "Heechul, You need to off right now, before I kill you," Sehun says. It's true that he doesn't usually use that language. But he's just sick of this guy already. "We'll fight another day. And when we do, I'm going to blow your fire out like a ing candle."

Heechul laughs, honestly seeming amused. "I like new you," He hums. He stops and uncrosses his arms. "I look forward to fighting you, Sehun." Kai steps closer to Sehun, glowering darkly at him with hooded eyes.  "I know you won't disappoint me."

Sehun doesn't take his eyes off Heechul. "Trust me. I won't," Sehun's voice is low and dangerous.

"Nice new camera," Heechul flicks it and gives him a smug grin before turning around and sauntering off. 

"Ohhh," Sehun growls, the wind growing a bit stronger"I want to spear him in the back!"

"Well, you can't," Kai puts an arm around Sehun's shoulder. "Not in public. Control your wind." With a shaky sigh, Sehun focuses, getting the air to die down. " I'm sorry it's just...I just keep thinking about my poor plants and how he set them all on fire! Those were my babies!" Sehun shrieks, stomping angrily. Kai steps in front him and chuckles. 

"He tried to kill you and you're mad about cacti?"

Sehun looks at him as if he were crazy for even asking. "Yes!" 

Kai laughs and pulls Sehun into a tight hug, up against his chest. "Sehun, you are utterly and absolutely exceptional."