Sewers

Wolves Among Us

Every drop of water makes Sehun flinch. Everytime time one lands, it echoes through the stone corridor. There's pain in his right cheek, and by the way, it feels, it's going to bruise. He gently presses his fingertips against it, sighing at the soreness. It's starting to swell. Looking around the room Siwon had put him in; it's a strange one to have in a building. It's a small room made of stone with a metal cage as a door. It almost feels as if it's a prison cell. But Sehun has no idea why Siwon would need it. He slowly scoots away when Heechul appears behind the doors.

"You look great," He lies. Sehun looks terrible. Dissolved hair and his pale skin bruised. He probably has eyebags from lack of sleep at night lately. "You ready for your first torture session tomorrow, buddy?" Those beatings weren't torture sessions.

"I'm alive with excitement," Sehun retorts sarcastically. 

"Oh, look at you," Heechul sighs. "All beat up, and you still got some fire in you." He glowers at him. "I can fix that."

Sehun looks at him and frowns. "I'm...guessing you'll be the one torturing me?"

Heechul's smile is sick and cruel. "Of course, why wouldn't it be me? Finders keepers, right? You're lucky too; I specialized in torture back when I was in a gang." Sehun crosses his arms and pushes himself into a corner as if it'd protect him. He wants everything to stop. Heechul slowly grabs onto the bars and stares at him. "You're going to be REALLY fun to break." Sehun watches as he finally walks off, leaving him to his thoughts. Torture? Was he going to torture him or was he trying to scare him? The dark, crazed look that was Heechul's eyes confirms it for him. Sehun slowly lays onto his side, staring at the wall. He wants to cry, but he forces himself not to. He can't, not here.


"Hey!" Someone whispers, stirring Sehun from his sleep. He groans softly as he slowly sits up, the pain finally setting in his body from where Siwon had previously beat him that day. If it weren't for some of his wind taking the impact, he'd probably have some broken ribs. He probably still could; it's too early to tell. "Wake up!" Sehun rubs the sleep from his eyes, grimacing when he accidentally hits the bruise on his upper cheek. He squints at the now dark cell, noticing someone standing behind the door. "Come here."

"I...I don't want to," Sehun whispers as well.

"I won't hurt you," The stranger says and his kind voice vouches for him. When Sehun gets a better look at him, he remembers him from the treaty. He had been quiet the whole time though. "My name is Ryeowook," he introduces. Sehun finally stands and goes over to him, still suspicious. Ryeowook bites his lip and looks around before digging around in his pocket. He smiles as he finally finds what he's looking for. He hands it to Sehun. "That key will get you out of this cage and into the sewer; where you need to escape. Just keep going straight- don't take any turns and you'll make it to a utility hole near a cafe D.O likes to visit a lot."

"H-how do you-"

"We used to be close," Ryeowook interrupts. Sehun wonders what this boy's powers are until he takes a piece of rock and lights it up. Light abilities; just like Baekhyun. "That'll create a source of light for you. But if you think you're gonna get caught, put it in your pocket."

"Why are you helping me?"

Ryeowook takes a deep breath. "I'm atoning...for the past. Go, hurry- Heechul is going to come to check on you in an hour. You NEED to be gone right now, or he'll be able to find you. He has the nose of a damn bloodhound." He stops for a moment. "When you...you see Kyungsoo, please tell him that I'm sorry-I'm SO sorry and that...that I miss him." Before Sehun has any time to thank him, the man quickly walks off, stuffing his hands into his pocket as if nothing ever happened. He stares after the man, wondering what he did. After he takes a deep breath, he shakes as he grabs the key and fiddles with it. He tries not to make so much noise as it creaks open, causing him to cringe. He hugs the lit up rock close to his chest as he tries to navigate the corridors. Anytime he thinks someone is coming; he quickly stuffs the rock into his pocket and waits. He's pleasantly surprised to see it still lit when he grabs it out again. 

When finding the utility hole Ryeowook spoke about, Sehun slowly kneels and fishes the key out. He glances around him nervously as he struggles with the lock. He doesn't know why they would have a sewer here, but it doesn't matter. He wants to puke when he finally gets it open. He groans and covers his nose. Once on the ladder, he reaches up and shuts the cover. He tries to ignore the odor as he climbs down. Once down, Sehun brings the rock up and lights the place up. The entire area is covered in a tinge of dark green; There's nothing but the sound of gushing water somewhere far away.  The walls are damp, and the floor is just disgusting water that reaches up to Sehun's knees. 

Pausing, Sehun takes a moment to separate his wind in both directions, trying to ear something. He can hear the faint footsteps of some boys in the stone corridor he has just escaped. Deciding he wants to be gone before Heechul realizes he's gone, he pushes forward; through the thick sewage. He holds the rock like it's his lifeline. As if it'll help him reach safety and find his friends. But in reality, Sehun doesn't have anything to guide him but his feet. Nothing to protect and keep him safe but his wind. The only person he has is himself; he's, for the first time, completely alone.

Already tired from the beatings earlier, which Heechul so graciously helped with, rummaging around in the sewers didn't help. The thick water tired out his legs. He had dropped the rock once or twice, desperately searching for it under the dark green liquid both times; getting all of his clothes dirty now. He smells disgusting, but it's not what's on his mind. His fear is passing out from fatigue and waking up to a good old Heechul slap across his face. Perhaps he'll heat his hand beforehand to give Sehun another burn. That's the thinking that forces him to push himself to his limits: that and the way he remembers Siwon's brutal punishment. But what scared him the most is the lack of any magic: no water, no nothing. He didn't try to kill him; he just wanted to inflict pain with his bare hands. And Sehun found out that he's good at it. Leeteuk, of course, got a few punches in as well. No doubt his own, little small revenge for Kyuhyun and his own wounds. 

Sehun suddenly stops when he hears the sound of life. He glances up at a ladder, staring at it in awe. He laughs weakly as he slowly heads over to it, gripping it's rusted metal. After stuffing the rock back into his pocket, he begins to make the climb. He pushes the manhole cover off and peaks his head out. He lets out a sigh when just like Ryeowook said; there's a cafe nearby. One he's been to with D.O once or twice before. Sehun weakly pulls himself out, letting out a sudden cry when he's finally onto the streets. He sniffs as he uses his feet to kick the cover back on. Ignoring the strange looks he gets, Sehun limps over to the cafe and pushes the door open. He swallows hard at the people that stare. 

Going over to the counter, he tries to force a smile. "Can...can I please borrow...your phone?" The woman stares at him with wide eyes as she nods and motions for some to the right. "Thanks..." He coughs and heads over to them. He swallows hard as he dials a number and tightly closes his eyes. He grabs his side,  the pain almost unbearable. He begins to tear up no one answers. He dials once more and patiently waits. Someone picks up at the very last ring.

"Hello?" Lay asks, his voice irritated. "I'm sorry but whoever this is, it's three in the morning, and we're-"

"Lay," Sehun squeaks out. "Lay, you have...you have to help me."

"Sehun?!" Lay suddenly sounds alert. "Sehun, you've been missing for two days! You...you disappeared from the hospital without a trace!"

Sehun his lip as he leans against the wall. "Two days?" He lets out a sigh. "That uh...makes sense."

"Where are you? I'm coming to get you right now!"

"I'm at...that cafe that D.O and I..."

"Stay RIGHT where you are- no, better yet; hide in the bathroom. I don't want any of Siwon's men finding you."

Sehun forces another smile. "Too late," He laughs dryly, but he doesn't think Lay heard him since he already hung up. He sets it back down and looks to the cashier. "I'm...I'm sorry to bother you b-but can I use your bathroom?"

"I'm sorry, but we only serve customers."

Sehun glances out the window. "Please, I..." He lets out a shaky breath. "Someone mugged me and I...I really..." The fear in his eyes probably is the thing that persuades her. She sighs and nods. He weakly thanks her before going into the restroom and finding a stall to hide in. He locks it and pulls his knees up. Knowing Lay, he probably won't get any other members- wanting to waste no time getting there. The other members are probably asleep or out. Two days? Has it really been two days? Sehun leans his head against the wall and starts to sob; letting out everything he had been holding in until then. He tries to wipe the dirt from his face as he cries, his chest starting to hurt and it's hard to breathe. He's angry, scared, tired, sad. He's tired. He's so, very tired.

"Sehun?"

Sehun sniffs as he opens his eyes and looks up. He doesn't know why but he keeps bawling. The sound of his pathetic cries fills the bathroom. The more time passes, the harder and louder they get. Lay is quick to find his stall and try to push it open. "Sehun, it's me- open the door." He stares at it with wide eyes, scared. It's Lay, someone who wouldn't ever hurt him. So why is he afraid? Sehun darts to the other side of the stall as soon as Lay's head appears in the stall beside him. He stares at Sehun, and his face suddenly softened. "Oh my god, Sehun...W-what happened to you?" When Sehun keeps crying, Lay gives him a quick smile before slowly vaulting over. He unlocks the door and opens it, carefully putting a hand on Sehun's back and leading him out. "It's alright," Lay whispers as he shrugs his coat off and wraps it around the sobbing boy. Regardless of how bad he smells, the healer wraps his arms tightly around his shoulder as he helps him out of the bathroom. "Thank you," Lay bows to the cashier before pushing the door open and ushering Sehun out into the cold, night air.

Lay doesn't try to silence him or get him to talk the whole ride home. He lets the boy weep as he grabs onto his own shirt in distress. He keeps a hand on Sehun's cheek the entire time, trying to lessen the swelling and pain. When they finally arrive at the manor, Sehun's wailing as lowered into a soft, shoulder-shaking sob. He quickly gets out of the car and opens the passenger seat, helping Sehun out and up towards the home. 

"Sehun?!" Xiumin gasps as he hurries down the stairs, Chen behind him. "Sehun!" The boy flinches when they try to touch him. "W-w-what happened?" Xiumin looks up at Lay. 

"I don't know," Lay shakes his head and takes Sehun to the bathroom. "Xiumin, please get Sehun a change of clothes from his room." He locks the door behind him to give the two privacy. "You can talk when you're ready; it's alright; do you need help undressing?" Sehun slowly nods his head, grimacing every time he lifts his arms. He admires how the healer isn't phased; only worried about Sehun's safety and comfort. Sehun accepts Lay's hand when he offers to help him into the shower. He closes his eyes and shivers when the warm water makes contact with his skin. "Do you want me to stay? Or should I-"

"N-no," Sehun stutters out. His lower lip begins to quiver again. "Don't go."

When there's a knock on the door, Lay smiles at him and squeezes his hand. "I'll be right back, I promise." Sehun watches as Lay opens the door and exits. But it's obvious he's still nearby, exactly right outside the bathroom. 

"Is he...in there?" Suho asks.

"Yes," Lay responds, trying to whisper.

"W-what..."

"I don't know," Lay sighs.

"Where did you find him?" Suho's voice is scared, desperate, and relieved. 

Lay remains silent before finally speaking up. "He called the house phone...I let it ring the first time, but I picked it up the second time. He told me he...was at that cafe D.O goes to."

"What? How did he end up there?"

"I don't know," Lay repeats. "He's barely spoken since he got back."

Suho sighs, probably nodding. "We should let him sleep. We'll ask him about everything when HE'S ready."

"...Suho, I suspect that S-"

"I know," Suho interrupts. "I already know Siwon is involved; how can he not be?"

More silence. "I'm so sorry."

Sehun hates silence now. "It's okay," Suho finally responds. "When he's all better, we'll end this." It's unbearable. "Once and for all." Sehun closes his eyes as he slowly knees and hugs his body. Everything hurts. Mentally, physically, and in the wind.
------------------------