Heechul

Wolves Among Us

 

 

Sehun can feel the restlessness in the air as the group of boys all prepare. The main group of attack has already left, while the second one stands by the manhole and waits. He had been assigned to go with this team and because of that, Kai insisted on going as well. As their last member, they chose Lay to go with them. Despite their leader’s arguments, everyone decided their healer needed to be with Suho; to make sure he reaches Siwon. They replaced their staffs with sharp weapons, the kind that can be fatal. Sehun picked dual daggers. He knows he can use his air to make a weapon but he knows not to rely on his magic; not this time.  “Remember what I said,” Kai whispers. “Everything’s going to be fine.”

 

Sehun smiles and nods. “You’re right,” He sighs. “I just...need to stay focused.”

 

“Alright, you guys know the drill,” Suho speaks up, standing from his spot. He glances up at the sky before going to the manhole. “Once inside, we wait for D.O’s text. Then, as we planned, we’ll surprise them.”

 

“Understood,” Lay nods.

 

“Lay, where is your weapon?”

 

“I plan to beat the out of Heechul with my bare hands,” The healer responds flatly. Sehun stares at him, wondering if he’s kidding or not. By the serious look in his eyes, he guesses not. But when Suho glares, Lay laughs and grabs a knife from a holster under his shirt. “I was kidding it’s here.”

 

Suho sighs as he motions to the sewer. Lay leans down for him and seems to have an easy time pulling it open; unlike Sehun, who struggled before. Then again, he was already weakened by his beatings and absence of food. As soon as the cover is gone, the leader doesn’t hesitate to jump down, ignoring the ladder. Sehun raises his brow in surprise but remains silent as he follows. It’s cool to see Suho in action. To see their leader’s experience and confidence. How he stands tall and lifts his hands, easily manipulating the disgusting sewer water. He keeps it to the side and away from them all as they walk, his arms still raised. And he does it in such an effortless manner. This just adds more things to Sehun’s ever-growing list of why he looks up to Suho. He wants to one day use his own magic so easily, with how well everything flows. As soon as they reach the end of the tunnel, they all stop below the hole and stare up at it.

 

“You have it with you?” Kai asks Sehun.

 

“Sure,” Sehun says as he searches his pockets. “O-oh I must have left it!”

 

“Sehun!”

 

“I’m kidding, I’m kidding,” Sehun whispers as he pulls the key out. He climbs up the ladder, holding onto it as he unlocks it. He grips the step tightly to keep himself from falling. He takes a deep breath and closes his eyes as he focuses. Air seeps from him and into the cracks of the manhole, spilling into the basement. He tries to listen and feel for someone, how many people are there. “It’s empty so far,” He announces in a whisper. He pauses and frowns. “No, there’s one person.”

 

“Can you tell who it is?” Lay asks up.

 

Sehun waits for a moment, suddenly growing tense. The air around this person feels warm, hot, not in a soothing way. It causes him to pull back and open his eyes. “It’s Heechul.,” He says as he climbs back down. Lay looks up now as well and stares. “I really didn’t want it to be him.”

 

‘I’m very glad it’s him,” The healer says. “I suggest I go first, stab him in the heart.”

 

Suho smiles a bit. “Lay, we have to be patient,” He whispers. He stops and glances up as well. “For now, we wait.”

 

“I’m nervous with Heechul being there,” Sehun admits. “I feel like he’ll open the damn lid and set us all on fire.”

 

“I’ll drown him before he does that,” Suho reassures him. As if on cue, there’s a vibration in the leader’s pocket. After he pulls it out and reads the message, he nods. “That’s our signal. We should make a plan for luring Heechul away.”

 

“I suggest we use someone as bait,” Kai offers.

 

“I don’t like it but...you’re right,” Suho sighs. He looks around between the boys.

 

“It should be Sehun or me,” Lay says, causing Kai to frown.

 

“Are you kidding me? Why would it be you two?”

 

“Think about it,” The healer begins. “I permanently wounded him and Sehun has escaped him several times; that hurts his pride.”

 

“I’ll go,” Sehun speaks up.

 

The wolf grabs Sehun’s hand and looks him in the eye. “Are you sure about this? You could get hurt.”

 

Sehun lets out a sigh. “I’m faster than all of you,” He points out. “And I’ll probably be faster than him.“

 

“He has a point,” Suho sighs. “And he knows the layout…”


 

Kai opens his mouth to speak but Sehun shakes his head. “No more arguing okay? I’ll lure Heechul away from the manhole enough for you guys to get in without him noticing. I’ll distract him,” When he looks at everyone for their approval, he smiles when they all nod. After giving Kai’s hand a squeeze, he climbs back up the ladder. He takes a deep breath before slowly and quietly pushing the top open, revealing the building. Peeking, he watches as Heechul turns a corner. He takes this opportunity to climb out. He crouches and looks down the hole. “Catch,” He whispers. Lay gasps and jumps a little when Sehun tosses him the key. “I’m going to close the latch, okay? I’ll text you the okay.” Without a response from them, he shuts the cover carefully and turns around. He didn't actually think this part though. The only hiding places would be the cells and he isn’t ever going back into one of those things. Unless, of course, Heechul catches him. Taking another deep breath, he stands and presses his back against the right wall.  He slowly makes his way forward, trying to stop himself from shaking.

 

Sehun freezes at the sound of footsteps. He inches his way to the corner and waits. When he’s sure Heechul is far enough away, he takes a quick peek. When seeing the fire-user's back turned towards him, Sehun knows he has to move. He glances at the stairs that lead upstairs. He needs to keep him distracted lock enough for the others to pass. Now, to think of something that’ll really get Heechul mad and chasing him. Raising a brow, he shrugs at his variety of thoughts. Standing tall, he steps out into the hall, facing the fire-user. “Hey, l-long time no see!" He calls out.

 

Heechul twirls back, staring wide-eyed at Sehun. “What the hell?!”

 

“Whoa, you look a little...uh, HOT under the collar.”

 

“What are you doing here, you little ?!” Heechul snaps. He’s not chasing him quite yet; he doesn’t seem to move a muscle. When his flames appear, Sehun laughs nervously.

 

“H-hey, don’t you know? Smoking kills!”

 

“Shut up!” He growls, suddenly jolting forward.

 

Sehun yelps before he turns and runs back down the hall, Heechul at his heels. As he turns the corner, he almost stumbles, catching himself on the bars of a nearby cell. He squeals when balls of flame are shot past him. He almost slips as he reaches the end of the hall. He spins around and stares wide-eyed at his attacker. “I-I guess...you don’t like puns?”

 

“Shut up!” He repeats. “Tell me how you got in here, you-” He stops when he sees the manhole behind him. He scoffs. “You sneaky little rat.” He grows closer, keeping his eye on him. “You have a back-up? Or did Suho send you on this little sneak attack alone?”

 

Sehun slowly inches away from Heechul, trying to circle around him. “I kind of insisted on being the only backup. I’m trying to...prove myself?”

 

Heechul chuckles. “You’re so stupid, Sehun. You escape death a few times and you think you’re invisible,” He sighs. “You made a horrible, horrible mistake, kid.” As soon as the man is the one in front of the manhole, Sehun glances behind himself, down the hall.

 

“Well um,” Sehun looks at him and clears his throat.  “Jokes on you, I ran track in high school!” He shouts before turning and dashing away. He forces his legs to carry him. He turns the corner, luckily not tripping this time. He brings up a wall of wind in time to shield him from another blast of fire. He lets out a soft gasp when he reaches the dead end of the hallway; cells being the only rooms around.

 

“Run all you want, I’ll chase you down and burn you alive!” He needs to find a way t send that text without alerting Heechul. Biting his lip, he sets his back against the wall and glances around. “Better yet, I’ll lock you up in one of those cells and we can pick up where we left off!” Sehun squeals and falls, narrowly dodging another one of Heechul’s attacks. As the man walks closer, Sehun gets an idea. He brings up a wall of air around himself before turning his back to Heechul. Taking a deep breath, he pulls his phone out and opens Suho’s number. He sends the text, flinching whenever sounds of magic slams into his wind. He stuffs it into his pocket and takes a deep breath. He turns his back against the wall once again and stares at his attacker. “Sooner or later, your little wall will come down, rat.”

 

“Yeah,” Sehun admits as he pants. “That’s true.”

 

“Make it easy for both of us both then.”

 

Sehun glances behind Heechul, taking a deep, shaky breath when he sees Suho and the others quickly and quietly sneaky by towards the stairs. He stands and groans a little. “So uh,” He clears his throat, trying to think of an escape plan. “Any chance we can just talk?” He laughs nervously but he frowns when Heechul glowers darkly at him.  

 

“You must be really, really stupid!”

 

“I mean, do you really want to catch me so easily?”

 

Heechul stops and glares at him. “What?”

 

“It just...seems like it’ll be kinda boring for you,” He points out. “I thought you liked a bit of a challenge.”

 

“Oh, I do- I just really, really want to see you dead.”

 

“Trust me, someone really wants to see you dead too,” Sehun says. Before his attacker can react, he darts from the wall, keeping his wall up as he forcefully pushes past Heechul; causing him to fall against the bars of the cells. He doesn’t look back as he runs. He goes to the stairs, almost stumbling up to them. When he’s at the top, he quickly slams the door leading to them shut.

 

“Ah, there you are,” Suho says, smiling tightly at him.  All of them jump when there’s a sudden impact on the door, causing Sehun to stumble away from it.

 

“W-we should go, I don’t think that door is going to hold him very long.”

 

‘I suggest we find an open area to draw him out to,” Lay offers. “And I will deal with him there.”

 

Suho nods and looks at Sehun. “Are there any places you can think of?”

 

Sehun takes a deep breath, trying to think back. “There’s...this large room in the middle of the first floor,” he says. “There's only two doors. One leading from this hallway and the other leading to the entrance,” He explains. “I suggest we wait for Heechul in there- I’ll lure him there.” With another bang to the door, Sehun ushers them down the hall, towards the door he remembers. “I’ll a lot faster than him okay?” They all nod and go without anything further. Sehun takes a deep breath as he goes back to the stairs. He pulls his knife out and holds it up, waiting. He takes a quick step back when it breaks into pieces. A very angry Heechul slowly steps out.

 

“Hey, man,” Sehun laughs nervously again. “You uh…”

 

“Why are you running, idiot?!”

 

“Because I’m scared less of you and know I can’t take you in a real fight, so I’m hoping I tire you out enough to finish you.” Heechul glares at him, raising his hands. “Which...is a mistake!” Sehun runs down the hall and practically slams into the door. He swings it open and steps inside, panting heavily at the large room. He opens his mouth to call for his friends but is interrupted when arms wrap around his waist and he’s teleported. He groans and falls a bit as soon as the black smoke disappears. Looking around, he frowns up when he notices Kai and Suho staring down at him. “W-where is…” He stops and stands, noticing Lay stand alone in the large room; the three of them standing on a platform that runs along the sides of the top. When the door opens, Lay slowly pulls his knife out. But when he tosses it to the side, Sehun gasps. “W-what’s he doing?!” Suho and Kai both crouch, keeping him down.

 

“Shh,” Suho shakes his head. “He can’t know we’re here.”

 

“Oh god,” Sehun whispers. “I can’t watch, Suho.”

 

Heechul stares at Lay in confusion. “What the…” He scoffs and puts his hands on his hips. “No, that makes perfect sense. Let me guess, that little Sehun distracted me while you snuck in. Am I right? I should have known; especially with that little attack party outside.”

 

“I didn't come here to talk, Heechul,” Lay says. “I came here to kill you, so shut the hell up and fight me.”


 

The whole fight has been agonizing. Both perfectly balanced in hurting each other. Sometimes Lay lands a blow and then Heechul is able to burn him. But the healer, in the end, seems to always get the upper hand- even when unarmed. They both stand, panting, their chests heaving up and down as they both try to catch their breath. Lay finally laughs and looks at his own hands.

 

“Why…” Heechul pants. “Why are you laughing?”

 

“I’m kind of disappointed, that’s all,” Lay admits, watching as Heechul falls to his knees. The healer crosses his arms as Kai teleports the three of them down to the door that leads to the hallway. He motions to the fallen fire-user. “You know what? I want this to be a fair fight. Call your healer.”

 

Heechul glares up at him. “Why?”

 

“I just told you,” He smiles. “Go on, call for him.” Heechul keeps his eye on him as he slowly pulls out his phone. He only looks down when he types something in. One he seems to be done, he puts it away. “Good. Now, we wait.”

 

“It won’t take him much time…”

 

“I know.”

 

Heechul scoffs as he glances at Sehun. “You’re such a damn waste,” He mutters. “You could have been powerful, so much more powerful than you are now. I could have taught you to be better.” He chuckles as he wipes his bloodied lip, “I went to that restaurant that night to try and persuade you to join us,” he pauses. “But when I saw you with your disgusting dog, I knew they already had their ing claws in you.”

 

“I call bull,” Sehun huffs.

 

“It’s true,” Heechul chuckles. “Siwon was so fascinated with you, he always has been. The first air-user we’ve seen,” He shakes his head. “What a waste…”

 

They all look when a man runs in, darting past the three. Leeteuk tries to make his way to the fire-user. “Heechul, I’m here-” The man’s words at cut short when Kai swiftly teleports behind him and brings up the knife Lay dropped, roughly sliding the blade along the man’s neck. Sehun lets out a cry at the bloody sight, quickly looking away. He can feel the contents of his stomach begin to rise but he forces them to stay down. When he looks back up, Heechul seems to struggle when Lay grips his wrist tightly, his fingernails digging into his flesh.

 

“Ah,” Lay lets out a sigh. “Your healer can’t help you anymore; isn’t that a shame?” Heechul turns his head, staring with wide-eyes at Leeteuk's dead body. “How do you think Kris felt? Hmm? Struggling so hard and yet knowing, deep down, no one will help.” He motions around the room, towards Sehun and the others. “No one here will save you.”

 

“T-that’s not true!” Heechul hisses through his teeth, trying to pull away. “Siwon will-”

 

“Come out from his hiding and risk his life to save you? Tell me, Heechul,” Lay says as he slowly kneels. “Do you believe he honestly and truly cares for you that much?” He raises his brows. “Well? Speak up!"

 

Heechul breaths heavily as he glances around at everyone. “It doesn’t matter,” he laughs. “When Siwon finds you, you’ll die! Just like your precious-” He stops, an ear-piercing scream replaces his words; it echoes through the room. Sehun widens his eyes when blood suddenly gushes from the wrist of Heechul’s left hand. He screams in agony as a cut suddenly opens up. No, the cut reopens. The same wound that Lay had given him after Kris died. Sehun covers his mouth. “O-oh my god!” He stutters. Kai goes to him and wraps his arms around his boyfriend if trying to protect him from the sight.

 

“Did Kris feel like this when you burned him?!” Lay practically screeches into Heechul’s ear before he finally lets his wrist go. “Did he?!” Heechul screams in pain as he grabs his wound, desperate to make it stop. Sehun had been write. The man's old wound completely reopened; now seemingly fresh. “Pathetic! You talk your damn mouth off and now that you’re crying like a dying dog, you have nothing to say!” The Healer slowly stands and takes a deep breath. “Go,” He says as he keeps his eyes locked on the man on the floor. “I’ll take care of this...trash.”

 

Suho opens his mouth to argue but he closes it when he sees the malicious intent in Lay’s eyes. He shakes his head before heading over to Kai and Sehun, ushering them to the door. “He’ll be fine,” He whispers. Sehun glances back once more at the bloody scene before it disappears behind the door.

 

“Will he really be okay?” Sehun asks. As if answering his question, there’s another loud, painful scream that emanates from the room. It scares Sehun, makes his blood run cold. He covers his mouth as the agonized noises continue. He knows it’s not Lay's and that scares him more. That's when he can hear it. A heartbeat, Heechul’s heartbeat. It beats fast, quickening as Lay works. And when it suddenly comes to a slow, crawling pace, he doesn’t want to know what's happening. And then there’s one last scream; the kind that rips from the throat, a final and desperate plea. After that, silence. No more screams and no more heartbeats. Dead silence. “Lay...Lay didn’t have a weapon. Kai took that knife back a-and he-”

 

“Don’t...think about it, Sehun,” Kai murmurs into Sehun’s ear. After kissing his forehead, he looks to their leader. “Let’s...go. Lay will catch up with us.”

 

Suho stares at the door, a sad look in his dark eyes. He fixes his jacket and forces himself to stand up straight. “Yes...let’s go.”

-------------------------------