Will you let me hide in your arms?

Bright nights and dark days

*Jinsol POV*

'Jinsol, could you please handle the orders for a moment? I need to make a call to the delivery company, we're running out of stock quickly. It's gotten so busy since you started working here.' My boss smiles at me sweetly, his eyes pleading with me softly. I simply nod and sigh, watching him run to the back office quickly. Since it was still very early in the morning, the cafe was quite empty. There were the usual few students coming in to get a refreshing cup of coffee before class and to gawk at me of course. I don't really care anymore, I'm so used to it. I just hope nobody will come up to order in the time my boss is in the back. I don't like talking to people, there's no use in making connections besides the ones I have with Madame Kim and my boss. Talking leads to relationships which lead to pain and suffering. 

I grab my worn-out copy of Edgar Allan Poe shorts, flipping straight to one of my favourites, 'The Masque of the Red Death'. It was a very familiar story to me. Even the mighty would suffer and fall if they came into contact with me. I am aware of this, and hence avoid people at all cost. My friendly and pretty looking face lures people in, but I never allow anyone to get close. I'm not lonely, it's simply necessary for me to be alone in this world. I don't feel the need to ever befriend anyone. I'm an acquaintance at most, one that doesn't talk much that is. The 2 students that were sitting in the corner get up and leave, but not before giggling to each other and glancing my way. The streets outside are empty too. I look at the grandfather clock in the corner near one of the bigger book racks, it's nearing 8 am.

We had a small number of customers coming in between 6:30 and 7:30 am usually. Most of those being students from the university nearby. Also the reason my boss decided to have the cafe open from 6:30 am to 12 and then again from 3 pm until midnight. It left us with a big lunch break and enough time to clean the place up and take inventory, as well as catering to the needs of university students who want to study here in the morning or late after class. At least once a week we would have the place open 24 hours, in which my boss would take the day shift and I would cover the night shift, I preferred it that way. It is 1 day a week I don't have to pretend to go to bed at night and the students that would come in to study during the night tend to not really care about social interaction. They tend to walk up to the counter to order, pay and then go sit down for a few hours surrounded by books. It makes it easier for me, I don't have to talk to them, and they get to study in peace.

I make use of this moment of quiet every morning by sitting in the cozy reading corner with my book, right next to the aquarium my boss installed after a month of me working here. He decided on it when he once saw me read a book about marine biology. He figured it would add an extra element of tranquillity to the book corner. He had all sorts of tropical fish in it and made the mistake of adding in a blue betta fish. Of course, the betta ended up hurting and eating some of the fish, at which point I explained to him that even though betta fish are exceptionally pleasing to the eye, they aren't meant to live with other fish. I took the betta out and he was currently in a smaller tank on the other side of the couch in the book corner. I wanted to take him home with me, but since I'm almost always working, I figured I should take care of him at the cafe. After all, he's already condemned to a life of loneliness, he should at least get some interaction. I relate to the little one a lot. I don't isolate myself from everyone, just enough that nobody gets close to me or gets hurt.

After 10 minutes my boss runs out from the backroom telling me he will quickly go to the bakery a few streets away, that delivers us our pastries, to sort out a miscommunication. I simply nod, knowing it won't take him too long and typically we wouldn't have any customers for another hour at least. Today turned out to not be so typical. 15 minutes after my boss's hasty departure, the bell chimes through the cafe, notifying me of a new customer. My boss and I only ever enter through the side door, as it was more convenient for staff. 

'Excuse me, is there anyone here?' I heard a unique and sweet voice call out. I close my book and quickly walk back to the front of the store. I see a beautiful girl with greyish blonde hair, wearing sunglasses, standing in front of the counter. There's a guide dog at her side. As I walk up to the counter she tilts her head in my direction. She takes off her sunglasses, her eyes a stunning brown, much like my own. Yet for some reason, it seems a million times more beautiful on her. I find myself staring at her, mesmerized by her beauty. I take a deep steadying breath, laying my hand on my chest, feeling my heart beat erratically. I must be going insane, this doesn't change anything. I don't know this girl, I've never seen her before. Even if she is the first person to ever make me feel this way, I won't break my rules. 

'Ehm.. excuse me, I can hear you but as you might be able to tell from Boris here, I can't exactly see. Do you work here?' She lays her hand on top of the fluffy golden retriever's head and softly smiles in my direction. I find the sides of my mouth curling up before I grimace again. It can't be helped, she can't see, I'll have to talk to her. She's the only person around. At least the customers that have tried to ask me out and get me to talk aren't here to take advantage of the situation. I clear my throat and walk up beside her, my breath hitches as she turns her entire body towards me and smiles expectantly. 

'H-Hello... My name is Jinsol, welcome to the Loona cafe, I do work here. Ehm, how can I help you, miss?' I cough after making a fool of myself by stuttering and find myself blushing as the girl's smile grows and she giggles softly. 'Well, thank you Jinsol. My name is Jungeun, and this here is Boris as I mentioned earlier.' She pets her dog's head and I nod before realizing she can't see me. I bend down to pet Boris and clear my throat once again, 'Nice to meet you, Boris.'. As I stand back up and retract my hand, Jungeun gently grabs it and steps closer, making me gasp softly and look her right in the eye.

'I'm sorry to startle you, Jinsol. But I can tell we're alone and you seem kind enough. Usually, people would have asked a million questions already about my sight and Boris, or show pity in some way.  I didn't get that from you, thank you.' She runs her thumb over the back of my hand and I lean away slightly, to calm my heart and take a quick breath. 'I just moved here recently and people already seem to want to get too involved in my business. My mother is constantly calling me, worried about me, and actually is running around right now trying to find me. Boris dragged me in here, I suppose he got tired. My question is, could we hide here for a while? I'll buy a coffee and won't cause any problems. But could you please lie to my mother if she comes here? Tell her you didn't see me?' Her eyes are big and pleading, and I find myself squeezing her hand gently. She blinks and grabs a smartphone from her pocket, swiping across the screen until she comes up with a caller ID image, she turns the phone to me. 'This lady is my mother. Just so you can recognize her.' Looking closer at the photo I can see the resemblance with Jungeun. I nod to myself and take a deep breath.

'Ok. Come.' I'm trying to keep talking to a minimum, but I can't help but want to come to Jungeun's rescue. I gently tug at her hand, leading her to the back reading corner, next to the aquariums. I lead her to the spot on the couch I had previously occupied and helped her sit. Boris slides to lay down on the floor contently. She smiles sweetly, her eyes shining with gratitude. 'Thank you, Jinsol. We don't know each other, but I feel like we could be friends. Even though you seem quite shy.' I smile to myself. If only she knew how far from 'kind' I really am. But I suppose to her, I was being kind. For her, maybe I broke my rules a little bit. Just this once wouldn't hurt. I won't befriend her of course, I most likely won't see her again after today. Just this once, I'll be kind.

'Drink?' I attempt to keep conversation to a minimum, only the necessities. She chuckles, and I swear I felt my heart skip a beat right then. She nods and runs a hand through her long grey locks. 'Do you serve hot chocolate perhaps?' I nod and walk away, not bothering to answer. I hear a soft chuckle behind me as I walk to the front of the store to get her hot chocolate. Just then, my boss walks in with some papers. 

'Ah, Jinsol! I fixed the issue, we should get our deliveries tomorrow morning, would you mind coming in and helping Vivi? I know you have the night shift as it'll be Sunday night, but it would help a lot.'. I nod and continue making the hot chocolate for Jungeun. 'Thanks a lot, Jinsol! You're a lifesaver! I'll be in the back until 9 am. You know we don't get customers in before that anyway.' He walks away and I softly hum to myself as I make sure to add some cinnamon to Jungeun's hot chocolate. It was a chilly day and I'm sure she could use something soothing after running away from her mother all morning. Wait... Why am I even trying to help her? Just the bare minimum Jinsol, don't do anything stupid. Yet. I find myself gently adding the cinnamon and forming a heart shape on top of the chocolate milk with cream. I shake my head and start walking back to Jungeun with her drink.

I suppose I won't be sleeping as much tomorrow morning as usual. I don't mind coming in to help or do extra shifts. I don't need much sleep and Vivi isn't the worst to work with. She's a university student that helps during the day shift on our 24hour openings. That way my boss feels better about me having the night shift alone. Vivi never tries to speak to me, simply nods and smiles. It's simple between us. Acquaintances, coworkers. 

'It's hot.' I feel the need to remind Jungeun as I set her order down on the table beside her. She smiles and nods. 'That's what one might expect when ordering a hot chocolate, Jinsol. Thank you.' She smirks and I can't help but chuckle softly. She turns her head to me and smiles again. 'You sound cute when you chuckle. You should do it more often. I don't know why, but I feel like you don't usually...' I blush at her compliment and look down at my feet. 'T...Thank you.' Jungeun reaches for her mug, struggling for a moment to find its exact location before gently holding it in both hands and sniffing it. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath before taking a small sip. 

'Jinsol, I think this may be the best hot chocolate I've ever had!' She excitedly exclaims before happily drinking more. I can't help but smile at her cute antics. This girl is really making me feel everything I've been keeping locked away for years, in the span of 15 minutes. As I hear the bell chime again, I am rudely brought back to reality and quickly step towards the front again. 

'Hi, excuse me. Have you seen my daughter, she's a bit shorter than you, greyish hair and there should be a golden retriever with her, her guide dog.' Jungeun's mother wore a worried and tired expression on her face, but I wasn't fazed. I simply shook my head, remaining expressionless. 

'Are you sure?' I nod and shrug. 'Okay, thanks anyway I suppose..' As Jungeun's mother leaves, looking defeated, I hear a set of paws and feet walk up behind me.

'Thank you, Jinsol. I really appreciate it.' I feel her walk up close behind me and tentatively wrap her arms around my waist. I tense up and take a deep breath to steady myself. 'You...You're welcome...Jungeun..' I feel her slowly remove her arms and take another step to stand beside me. I look to my side to see her staring straight ahead, a somewhat determined look on her face. 'I like the way you say my name, Jinsol. I'll be sure to hear it more often.' I can't help but gasp and blush at her words. I simply stand there dumbfounded, staring at this angel that appeared so suddenly, yet feels like she will not leave anytime soon.

'I'll be sure to visit you again. You have the night shift tomorrow, right? Maybe I should stop by for another hot chocolate. Which reminds me, how much do I owe you?' She reaches into her pocket for what I assume is her wallet. Something comes over me and I find myself quickly stopping her, holding her by the wrist. 'No. It's on me.' I'm confused at the words leaving my lips. Never would I dare to show such blatant generosity and kindness to anyone in my life. But I quickly lose my train of thought as Jungeun turns and smiles at me. I feel her grab my hand that's still holding her wrist and she gently removes my grip. A soft blush spreads across her cheeks as she raises our hands to give a soft kiss upon my knuckles. I'm pretty sure my heart simply stopped beating. I must look so red right now... What is this girl doing to me? I don't understand anymore... She releases my hand and steps towards the door, Boris leading her gently. Before she leaves she puts her sunglasses back on and calls out to me.

'Jinsol, I hope to be able to see you tomorrow..'

She swiftly walks out behind Boris and I find myself confused. The way she said 'see' made me think she really meant actually seeing me tomorrow. But she's blind, how could she? Even after cleaning and having customers come in again, with my boss taking orders and me serving drinks, I keep thinking of beautiful brown eyes, hot chocolate, and a gentle smile. For the first time, I find myself working with a soft and content smile on my face. Needless to say, we had more orders and customers that day than my boss knew how to keep up with.

*Nobody POV*

That night, Jinsol found herself staring out her bedroom window again. Soft mumbles leaving , a genuine smile on her face. 

'Jungeun, I also hope to see you tomorrow night...'