Like mother, like daughter

Bright nights and dark days

*Nobody POV*

Jungeun and Jinsol had stepped into Jungeun's house with big dorky smiles on their faces. Boris ran in and went straight for the kitchen to greet Jungeun's mother. 

The soothing smell of a homemade meal settled Jinsol's nerves somewhat. Jungeun clung on to her hand tightly, reassuring her with every step they took further into the house. 

'JUNGEUN!' 

Her mother rushes forward to tightly embrace her dear daughter. She had been so worried over her and decided to talk things out and find a way to give Jungeun her freedom, without having to constantly fear for her. Jungeun was, after all, a teenager that wants to explore the world and be herself.

Jinsol tried to let go of Jungeun's hand so she could better hug her mother, but Jungeun only held her hand tighter, intertwining their fingers. So Jinsol was left awkwardly standing slightly off to the side of this little family reunion.

'Hey, mom. The food smells delicious as always.' Jungeun smiles, tightly wrapping her free arm around her mother. She felt relieved her mother didn't greet her with an argument this time. Maybe this time they would really settle things and find an agreement that works out for everyone.

'Honey, I'm so glad you're home safe! I was so worried for you, let's have a nice lunch together and talk things over, shall we?' 

Her mother smiles brightly as her gaze shifts over to the awkward angelic looking girl behind her daughter.

'Oh my god! Sorry, sweetie. I got so caught up in seeing Jungeun safe and sound that I forgot to greet you, how rude of me! My name is Kim Hyoyeon, Jungeun's mother as is obvious.'

Jinsol shyly looks up at Hyoyeon, she was a beautiful lady. It was evident she had Jungeun at quite a young age. Hyoyeon's smile is just as radiant as Jungeun's, making Jinsol blush and smile back softly.

'It's very nice to meet you, dear. Thanks for taking care of my daughter and being her friend. She didn't bother you, did she? What's your name?'

Jinsol scratches the back of her neck before bowing deeply and looking at Jungeun for help. Jungeun smiles at her gently, squeezing her hand. Letting her know she's right there for her.

'Her name is Jinsol, mom. She's a bit shy. Maybe that's an understatement. She doesn't really like talking much.' Jungeun's voice is laced with amusement during her last statement. She knows better, she knows that Jinsol is actually EXTREMELY talkative. With the right person, that is. And with the right topic, especially marine biology.

Jinsol nods and smiles up at Hyoyeon apologetically. 

'No worries, dear. You'll open up whenever you feel ready to do so. Take your time. Just know that you're always welcome here, and you shouldn't be scared of me okay? The only thing I'm guilty of is loving my daughter too much and letting that blind me to the point of suffocating her and being overprotective...' Hyoyeon smiles sadly at Jinsol before turning to Jungeun.

'I really am sorry, honey... I kind of lost track of your needs because of my own fear. But you know everything I did and do is for you, right? It's all to protect you and keep you safe, dear.'

Jungeun smiles brightly at her mom, tearing up slightly. Jinsol notices this, and as her first instinct ever since meeting her is to help her in any way possible, Jinsol steps forward to wipe away a stray tear and smile at Jungeun lovingly. 

Jungeun's mother may be a lot of things, but she isn't a bad person nor is she stupid. She recognises the glint in the young girl's eyes. It's the same glint of confusion and kindling love she once held for someone too. She smiles, Jinsol seems like a great match for Jungeun's expressive and loud self. Someone calm and collected, calm waters to tame the wildfire that is Jungeun.

Jungeun was a bit too much like her mother in that, quite impulsive and strong. Which is part of why Hyoyeon is so worried about her. Hyoyeon has had her fair share of heartbreak and mistakes in the past. But Jungeun was never one of them.

'I'm okay Jinsol, thanks. I know mom, I love you.' Jungeun smiles at her mother in a way she hadn't in a long time. Hyoyeon's heart swelled at the sight and she jumped forward to hug both girls tightly.

'Now let's eat before the food gets as mushy as we are now.' Hyoyeon laughs whole-heartedly, leading the 2 young girls to join in automatically.

Jinsol shyly looks away after giggling.

'Jinsol, honey? You have a lovely laugh. You should know that.' Hyoyeon speaks gently and caring, not wanting to trigger the shy girl.

Jinsol can't help but look at her with a small smile threatening to spill over her lips, head slightly tilted making her resemble Boris when he's confused.

*Jinsol POV*

I didn't expect Jungeun's mother to be so much like her. From what Jungeun told me about her, it was obvious she was very caring and loving. She worries about Jungeun a lot, which is very understandable given the circumstances. That can only come from a big loving heart. But I didn't expect her to have the joking nature and strong disposition Jungeun does. 

Jungeun never mentioned her father. I won't push her about that, after all, I don't have either parent. It's obvious Jungeun takes after her mother a lot.

'C'mon Sol.' Jungeun's gently voice pulls me out of my thoughts as always, and I follow her immediately to the dinner table.

The food smelled so good and looked even better, somehow! I haven't had a proper homemade meal like this in months, not since I moved here.

We all take a seat at the table. I follow Jungeun to sit right beside her, scooting my chair closer to hers.

Her mother, Hyoyeon, settles the last dishes on the table and pours us all a glass of water before sitting down herself.

'Dig in, girls! I hope you like it!'

We all start piling food onto our plates, turns out we're all quite big eaters. 

I notice Boris sitting right next to my chair on the floor, looking up at me with his big eyes. I pat his head gently and smile.

'Honey, keep this one. Her giggle sounds angelic, she's calm and shy AND Boris likes her! Not to mention, I like her. Jinsol, you can just call me mom.' Hyoyeon chuckles and I see her wink at Jungeun as I snap my head up, probably blushing furiously.

'MOM!'

Hyoyeon sets her cutlery down and smiles innocently at Jungeun. I simply reach out to gently squeeze Jungeun's thigh in what I hope to be support.

'Yes, my dear? What's wrong?'

Hyoyeon smirks and I see Jungeun frown for a split second before her facial expression softens and she blushes, looking down at her lap.

'I like her too...' Jungeun's voice is barely audible, but I heard and I'm sure her mother did too judging by the wide grin on her face as she happily continues eating.

Our faces are both turning redder by the second. Jungeun looks up and our eyes meet. Her sweet smile and rosy cheeks draw me in so easily.

I lean closer and gently push a few stray hairs out of her face, smiling softly. She mesmerizes me like nothing or nobody has ever been able to before.

'Gorgeous...'

I blink. Wait... Did I just?...

'Why yes, I do believe my daughter is gorgeous, Jinsol. After all, she gets her good looks from me, obviously.' Hyoyeon's voice is teasing yet filled with warmth. 

My breath hitches and I look down. Why can't I stop myself in front of this girl...

*Jungeun POV*

My mother seriously needs to stop teasing. I know it's a fun part of her personality, and mine too. But I don't know how much more Jinsol can take. Though she must be comfortable if she can talk in front of her, even if it wasn't intentional.

I smile at Jinsol's head hung down in embarrassment. She's too adorable. I'm so glad mom likes her. She hasn't liked any of my friends in the past, yet so quickly took a liking to Jinsol.

Ever since this angel walked into my life, everything has been turning around for the better.

'It's okay. You know you can be comfortable around me. And with my mom too, I promise.' I gently lift her head and look her in the eye smiling brightly to lift her mood.

Of course, she immediately smiles back brighter than humanly possible. I swear. she must be a literal angel, sent down to bless my eyes and my life with her presence!

'Girls, if you're done eating, I'll clean up the plates. Don't worry, it's your turn tomorrow, Jungeun! You two can go upstairs and relax. I'll bring some snacks later. Do leave your door open though.' My mom laughs and winks as she swiftly grabs some plates and runs off to the kitchen.

'MOM, PLEASE!'

I swear, her teasing is too much. 

My mother does know me best though. And is great at reading people, I get that from her too. It has helped me a lot since I became ill.

She will tease me endlessly about Jinsol for the next 50 years possibly. I've never had a love interest and with Jinsol I'm pretty obvious, I guess. Or am I?

I grab Jinsol's hand and get up from the table to lead us up to my room. 

If my mom can tell I like Jinsol and approves of her. Maybe I should make it clear to Jinsol that I really like her? That I want to keep kissing and holding her, that she really can call my mother, 'mom', too.

I squeeze her hand tightly and run up the stairs with her, Boris following closely behind.

I look behind me to find Jinsol smiling, slightly out of breath from running up the stairs. I open the door to my room and pull her in with me, hugging her tightly and kissing her neck.

'Jinsol, nuneul ttegi himdeuni gyesok hamkke haejullae?' ('It's hard to take my eyes off of you, so will you be with me continuously?' - Eclipse by KimLip)

I lean back to look her in the eye, awaiting her answer. She leans in close and kisses me sweetly on the lips, running her hand through my hair.

She pulls me even closer and smiles at me, her voice barely registers as she leans in impossibly close and my heart wants to beat out of my chest.

'Jungeunie, majimak sungankkaji neon nae gyeoteman isseojwo' ('Until the very last moment, stay next to me.' - Singing in the rain by Jinsoul)

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------

Author's note:

OMG, finally an update! 

Sorry guys, have been overwhelmed with uni work and being sick. I'll try to upload more often starting next week.

How are you liking it? Part of me wants to add in some supernatural elements that could enhance the story and make it dig deeper and last longer. Thoughts?

Have a good day/night! Until next time! :3