Blue tints and squeaky toys

Bright nights and dark days

*Nobody POV*

As Jinsol walks to the back room to double check all the locks and lights, Jungeun settles into one of the seats near the entrance of the cafe. Boris sits in front of her, looking up at Jungeun happily as she pets him and plays with his ears gently. 

'You must be hungry, huh? You never complain though, do you?' Jungeun can't help but smile at her furry best friend in gratitude and admiration. She got so lucky with him. As she waits for Jinsol patiently, she can't help but think about going to her house later and Jinsol meeting her mother. Her mother hasn't met a friend of hers since she was maybe 7 years old? Jungeun can't even remember. And she can't even really call Jinsol a friend anymore, can she? They kissed and it made Jungeun feel warm inside and safe. She felt happy and safe in Jinsol's arms. Something she hadn't felt in a long time with anyone except for Boris.

There was also the fact that she would be seeing Jinsol's place so soon already. She didn't mind, from what she knew of the girl, she seemed to not be able to hurt a fly and be very courteous. However Jinsol also very much seemed like a diamond in the rough when it came to emotions. They were there, but it was apparent she didn't know how to deal with them properly. But even through that, Jungeun could feel her trying to hold herself back, even though Jungeun apparently makes Jinsol lose all control.

Jungeun blushes at the thought. She trusted Jinsol, even though she hadn't known her for long at all. It scared her, but also assured her. Trusting Jinsol so easily and wholeheartedly must mean something, right? 

Jungeun leans over to press a soft kiss to Boris's head just as Jinsol walks back into the cafe area. Jinsol smiles widely at the scene. After having a mild panic attack over somehow running and having Jungeun come to her place so soon, this scene was what she needed to ground her. She takes a deep breath and walks closer to the pair.

*Jinsol POV*

'Everything is locked up and I'm ready to go whenever you are?' I smile down at Jungeun as she raises her head from Boris's. Her cheeks turn a soft crimson and she quickly stands up from her seat nodding adorably. She grabs Boris's leash and gently holds it. I walk up to the cafe door silently and turn to her before opening it. I bite my lip nervously and smile slightly. Her eyes soften as she looks up at me with... worry? I take a steadying breath.

'As you may have ehm noticed... I don't really talk to anyone...ever... Though you're an exception of course.' I close my eyes tightly and try to calm myself. I don't want to do this but I will have to. I can't bring myself to talk outside of the safe confines of the empty cafe. I don't mind when we're alone, but when we go out...

'I'm really sorry but...' I look at her apologetically and scratch the back of my head. How do I say this without offending her?

'But, you're gonna go silent the second we step out of the cafe, aren't you?' She looks at me warmly. I can't find a trace of annoyance in her eyes. I look down and nod softly, mumbling an apology.

'Don't be sorry, I understand. It must already be terrifying and new to talk to me. I won't force you to talk around others, Jinsol. Okay?' She lifts my chin and smiles at me sweetly. I can't help but feel energized and nod before hesitantly opening my arms. I'm trying to contain myself.

The overload of feelings yesterday after the fight left me confused and impulsive. It's not me. I'm calm, cold and collected. But Jungeun makes me so soft and warm, I can't help myself. While I was in the break room, I promised myself I would treat her right and make sure to not just jump on her. After all, she may not feel this all as strongly as me. She's had friends before but not in a long time, so she sees this differently right? Besides, I don't know if friends is really the right term anymore... I mean, we kissed so that changes it right? I don't think friends kiss or make each other feel the way she makes me feel...

Before I can get stuck in my thoughts more, she steps forward into my open arms and hugs me tightly. I wrap my arms around her shoulders and mumble a thank you into her hair.

She giggles and I melt, moving out of the embrace to look at her beautiful smile. I brush some hair out of her eyes and kiss her forehead softly before moving back. 

'Shall we then?' I hold out my hand for her to take. I won't be able to talk to her, but I can at least hold her hand and keep her close.

*Jungeun POV*

I smile at her simple gesture and quickly take her hand, squeezing it reassuringly. I follow her out of the cafe and quickly notice her demeanour change. She still feels like the same warm Jinsol, but her sweet smile has been replaced by a neutral look, her eyes immediately losing the sparkle they held when she looked at me before. I smile sadly. I wish she didn't have to do this. Whatever reason she has must be deep-rooted and important, or maybe she simply is this way and for some reason, I'm the first person to break through that wall? Who knows, Jinsol remains a mystery to me for the most part. But I hope we can get to know each other more.

We walk in silence through town as I let my eyes wander around. It was small but felt very cosy. I smile at passersby and they smile back until they notice Jinsol holding onto my hand tightly. Their expressions quickly change to those of amazement. The few students I've seen pass by had looks of pure jealousy and confusion written on their face. I simply laughed it off, to which Jinsol squeezed my hand gently. When I look up at her, I notice her lips curl up ever so slightly sometimes. Especially when the street we're walking down is empty.

Boris ends up holding his own leash but walking right beside me. There's really no need for him to even wear it, but it's mandatory and assures other people more than it's beneficial to me. 

We stop walking when we reach an apartment building located a few streets away from the university at the edge of town. Jinsol squeezes my hand again and takes me into the building.

As we enter the elevator, she dares crack a smile at me as she lets go of my hand to dig in her backpack for her keys. I smile back brightly of course.

We reach the top floor and she walks ahead of me with her keys in hand, stopping in front of door 2127. As she unlocks the door shakily, I chuckle. She's trying to act all tough and confident, but she's such a nervous and clumsy softy in reality. I smile as she finally manages to open the door and gestures for me to go in first.

'Why thank you, miss Jinsol, for inviting me into your home.' I bow jokingly and giggle before walking in.

As I walk through a small hallway with a little shoe rack and table with a bowl for keys, which I figured out as Jinsol threw her keys into it quickly, I find myself in a cosy living room area with a small kitchen to my right. On the left side of the living room there is another little hallway with some doors I assume to be the bedroom and bathroom. I feel Jinsol walk up close behind me and I turn to her.

She looks at me shyly, putting her backpack down on the floor and taking a deep breath.

'So ehm... What do you think?' Her voice is so so soft and a blush rises up to her cheeks. She looks so fragile. I realise now, despite all her bravado earlier at the cafe, she was scared. She probably never invited anyone to her home ever. Even before she moved here probably. I try to smile at her reassuringly and walk closer to take both of her hands in mine. Her hands are cold so I rub them gently between mine.

'It's very cosy, Jinsol. It suits you.' I smile up at her and watch her smile back shyly before I look back around her small living room. The walls throughout the whole apartment seem to be painted a bright white and all her furniture has deep blue tints throughout. It's very clean and minimalistic yet somehow still feels cosy. It's like Jinsol, seems cold and serious but there are warm and sweet elements throughout. On her blue couch, there's a baby blue blanket with a pattern of tropical fish all over it. On the small table in the corner, a picture of an older woman smiling sits among some scented candles, of course, blue candles. Small elements that add to Jinsol's humanity. 

'Thank you. I don't really invite people over. I never was the type to do so.' I turn my attention back to her and kiss the palms of her hands gently.

'I feel honoured then, to be the first.' I chuckle at the blush rising up her cheeks at my words and turn to find Boris sprawled out on the white fluffy carpet, in front of the couch.

'Well someone is feeling comfortable.' I chuckle and turn as Jinsol giggles softly and I let go of her hands to watch her walk over to Boris. She smiles at him sweetly and he lifts his head lazily to look back at her goofily.

'Well, he better be. That's a very important carpet to me and possibly the softest carpet I've ever sat on in my life.' Her eyes light up as she speaks animatedly before turning her head back to me. I can't help but feel my heart warm at the way she looks at Boris and then me.

'I'll get you some clothes then if you want to freshen up, Jungeunie?' She looks at me with big eyes and I nod, feeling heat rise to my cheeks. This girl is too cute and dorky.

*Nobody POV*

Jinsol hands Jungeun a simple black T-shirt and one of her favourite sweaters. She had ordered it customised. It's black and has a cute drawing of a blue betta fish on the front. Under the fish in small lettering, it says 'Jinsoul'. Jinsol thought it was funny to write that because it was her spirit animal, her Jin'SOUL'. It's a very comfortable and warm sweater, and she figured Jungeun would like it. 

After showing Jungeun to the bathroom, she tells her she will quickly go check her mailbox downstairs. Jungeun nods and enters the bathroom to freshen up. 

Jinsol looks at Boris and wonders what dog food she should get him. There's a small pet store near her apartment where she usually buys the special feed for the cafe's blue betta. Not wanting to take any risks and wanting to save Jungeun from having to buy food or Boris from having to starve until they get them to their house, Jinsol reaches for Boris's leash. 

Boris complies after looking down the hallway to the bathroom door briefly, where Jungeun was. He walks right beside Jinsol and tugs at the leash for her to let him hold it himself. Jinsol smiles at him as she opens the door to her apartment. He's a good dog and Jinsol could see how Jungeun can trust him so fully.

As they walk to the store, Jinsol buys some packets of food and snacks that Boris reacted to the most positive. She walks out with a bag filled with dog food, dog snacks, a bowl set and Boris is holding onto his leash as well as a squeaky toy in the shape of a chicken that made him excited and made Jinsol chuckle.

Back at the apartment, Jungeun has finished up and walks out to find both Jinsol and Boris gone. She figures Boris must have followed Jinsol down to the mailbox. Boris tends to want to be around people all the time anyway. If it weren't for him liking the rug and Jinsol so much, he would have probably followed Jungeun into the bathroom.

Jungeun puts her sweater and shirt from last night in her backpack and sits on the couch. Just as she sits down, she hears the front door unlock.

'SQUEEEAAKK squeak squeaak' 

Suddenly she hears squeaking and the familiar pitter-patter of Boris's paws against the floor. As she turns towards the hallway she laughs and stands up.

*Jungeun POV*

'You went to the pet store with him?' I smile at her, feeling my heart warm at her kindness and consideration.

'Well, I was going to just buy some food because he must be hungry and I didn't want him to have to starve until he gets back to your place. But then I took him along because I didn't know what food he would like. But then he looked at me so sweetly and I don't have anyone or anything to spend money on really so I just kind of...' She smiles at me confused.

'I understand, he makes for a strong case with those puppy eyes of his.' I smile gently at her and take Boris's leash off as he passes me with his newly acquired toy to go chew it on the rug, where he sat earlier.

'Yeh, he does. I hope you don't mind? I don't mean to overdo it or anything, I just wanted to help.' She turns shy and I see the hesitation in her eyes. Cute.

'Don't worry, I really really appreciate it and I'm certain Boris does too.' We look at him happily cuddling with his new squeaky chicken. We laugh and I take the bag from her to see what she got. 

'Ah, that's indeed his favourite brand of dry food. And his favourite snacks too! Can you secretly talk to animals?' I look up at her with a playful look, raising my eyebrow.

'Haha, I wish. Boris is just very good at pointing out what he wants.' She giggles and walks to her kitchen counter to empty the contents of the bag on it.

She washes the bowls she bought and sets them down on the floor near the kitchen counter, filling one with water and then turning to me.

'Ehm, how much food should I put in the bowl for him? I don't know how much dogs eat...' She looks at me questioningly with the food bag in her hands.

'Boris can eat quite a lot but we try to control his portions. Here, let me show you.' She hands me the bag after opening it and I pour in the correct amount. As soon as he hears the sound of the food he comes to sit in front of the bowls.

'That amount is good. He gets that twice a day usually and some snacks in between sometimes.' Jinsol smiles and nods at me before looking at Boris in amazement.

'Why isn't he eating? Didn't you say he likes this food?! Does he not like the bowls? What do we do?' She looks back and forth between me trying to contain my laughter and Boris sitting right in front of his food bowl staring up at us sweetly. She's so worried, it's precious.

'No, don't worry so much, Jinsol. Boris is a very well trained dog, right?' She nods confusedly.

'This is part of that training. He gets to eat only when my mom or I give him permission to. It's basic doggy manners to wait in front of his bowl until we give him the queue to eat.' I smile at her face lighting up with understanding and excitement.

'That's so cool! He's so smart! And you're amazing for teaching him that, Junguenie!' She's bouncing in place with child-like excitement and I chuckle at her enthousiasm.

'Would you like to give him the command?' I step closer to her and tilt my head, waiting for her answer.

'Really?! Would he even listen to me though?' I nod and smile.

'He likes you, Jinsol. There's no doubt in my mind he'll accept any commands from you.' She smiles down at Boris and I walk closer to whisper in her ear.

'Just hold your hand out above his head, palm down. Then pat his head and say 'massige meogo'.' I lean back and watch her blush before following my instructions nervously.

As expected, Boris listens well and leans up to her palm before gently eating from the bowl. Jinsol squeals at the wetness of his tongue and quickly rubs it off on her sweater.

'Jungeun, he listened!' She looks at me smiling brightly and then back down to Boris eating happily. The spark in her eyes is burning brightly, and she feels so carefree now.

'I told you he would. Hey, you haven't changed yet, have you? You can go freshen up and I can make tea?' I gesture at the kettle and box of teabags on her kitchen counter.

'Oh yeh, I should freshen up. The cups are in the cupboard above the sink. Thank you.' She smiles before walking around Boris to go freshen up.

I turn and open the cupboard above the sink to find it holding some cute blue and black mugs. I reach up and huff. Come on, I'm not this small, I can reach it! I stand on the tips of my toes to grab the mugs.

Suddenly another hand appears next to mine and I feel a breath against my ear. I turn my head slightly and my breath hitches, Jinsol's face is so very close.

Suddenly she's holding 2 mugs in front of me and I shake my head to thank her and take them from her. She smiles wordlessly and makes her way to her bedroom.

I blush while making the tea. Her close proximity made me think of how well I slept cuddling with her last night and the kisses we shared earlier this morning. I smile to myself and hum as I take the mugs to the living room and set them on the small black coffee table. 

I settle into the couch and soon Boris joins me, laying on the rug at my feet. Jinsol was right, this is indeed a very soft and fluffy carpet.

I settle my bare feet on Boris gently. His warm fur keeping my feet warm.

Jinsol walks out after a while, wearing an off the shoulder sweatshirt that makes my breath hitch and my throat go dry. Her long pale neck is on display, as well as her defined and beautiful collarbones.

She smiles at me sweetly and settles in the couch next to me. I quietly sip my tea as I take sneaky glances towards her. At least I tried to until I found her staring right back at me and her eyes locked me in place.

'Thank you for the tea, Jungeun.' She takes a sip and sighs contently, closing her eyes and holding the cup close. I smile and set my half-finished cup down on the table.

'You're very welcome. I don't want to be too bold but you look absolutely stunning in that off the shoulder sweatshirt...' I blush and smile as she sets her cup down too and leans in closer to me.

'Thank you, you look positively adorable in my sweater.' She smiles and we end up giggling at our sudden awkward boldness.

I reach out to gently put some stray blond hairs behind her ear and cup her cheek. She leans her cheek into my palm and closes her eyes. She looks so peaceful. I lean forward and put a gentle kiss to the tip of her nose.

She opens her eyes and smiles.

'I promised a breakfast date, didn't I? Shall we?' She smiles softly and I nod, getting up before reaching out my hand for her to take.

'We shall, my lady Jinsol.' She chuckles and takes my hand. I pull her up and smile. 

I'm excited for a breakfast date with this amazing girl.

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note:

Unfortunately, I've been a bit busy lately but here I am with another update! I hope you like it!

Some people were worried about Jinsol's character being too confident. I just want to address that and say it's a front she puts up and she gets easily confused with emotions. Jungeun makes her feel a lot she's never felt before so she reacts rashly and without thinking. You'll see in this chapter she realises how dangerous that is and wants to control herself and take it easy. It's all very new and frightening to her. 

In future chapters, you will for sure see the development of Jinsol's 'real personality' as opposed to her very impulsive character that shows when she is overloaded with emotions and impulses from Jungeun.

Let's be honest, we'd all be a mess in front of Jungeun and react weirdly.

I hope you guys keep supporting the story, seeing the positive comments really makes me want to keep this story going for a long time and improve my writing skills!

Have a good day/night!!! :3