At first sight

Bright nights and dark days

*Jinsol POV*

I press my palms into my temples as another wave of pain hits my head. I didn't sleep after helping Vivi at the shop. I simply couldn't sleep, I ended up sitting on my rooftop all day with a thermos of hot chocolate and my favourite cinnamon cookies. I usually would have coffee but since my mind kept wandering off to Jungeun and how happy she looked drinking my chocolate milk, I found myself filling the thermos with hot chocolate. 

Walking into work an hour ago, I waved at Vivi and my boss as they left. Boss said he'd be back at 5 am to clean up and take over. I simply nodded and grabbed my apron from the back. The student rush started around 6 pm. It's 6:30 pm now and I was just able to catch a short break. The cafe was half full of students and some workers seeking a soothing cup of coffee after work. I drink some water and frown at the headache. I wish I had brought some pain medication. 

*ding* There goes the door again. I really should've just taken a sleeping pill today instead of daydream about my angel, Jungeun. I can't help but smile at the thought of her, but that smile is quickly wiped off my face as I see my least favourite regular and his entourage enter the cafe.

'Hey there, Jinsol! Looking beautiful as ever I see!' He smirks and puffs his chest in a useless attempt to look handsome. I simply frowned and silently waited at the counter for them to order. They walk closer and his 2 goons chuckle as they pat him on the back. 

'Come on, you're gonna play the silent card again? Still trying to deny yourself from my charms.' He leans on the counter, trying to get closer to me. I lean away and stare at him unphased. 

'How about we go on a date tomorrow? I know for a fact you won't have to work since you have the night shift today. It'll be fun, don't worry. I'll definitely take good care of you.' He grins and I swear I'm about ready to puke all over him. He's been harassing me at work, especially during the night shift, ever since I started working here. He's very persistent and won't give up. I even refused to serve him numerous times but all he does is sit there staring at me until my boss forces him to buy something or leave. 

I take a deep breath and look over his shoulder to see if any customers needed me. With how cocky he was acting tonight, I wasn't expecting him to order. He would most likely just follow me around and keep trying to make me talk. I notice one of the students near the entrance raises their hand, holding up a refill card. My boss had the refill cards made as a way for customers that were busy working or studying to ask for a refill without having to come up to the counter. I start to move away from the counter to go pick up the customer's cup so I can remake his order. As I step around the counter and make a move to pass by mister persistent and his goons, I feel someone roughly grab my wrist.

'YOU WON'T IGNORE ME TONIGHT!'

*Nobody POV*

As Jinsol attempts to move past the boys, their leader grabs her wrist roughly and pulls her back, yelling at her. 'YOU WON'T IGNORE ME TONIGHT!' 

At just that moment, Jungeun had stepped into the cafe and looked ready to explode. Her eyes were wide and filled with rage. How dare someone touch HER Jinsol. Jinsol's eyes widened as she looked at her annoying stalker and tried to remove her hand from his grip. The other customers in the store looked up after hearing him scream and were watching the scene unfold. 

'Come on, you know you want me. I can make you feel real good. You're gorgeous, I'm handsome, give me one reason we shouldn't be together?' As he says this he tries to caress Jinsol's sharp jaw as she turns her head in disgust.

'I suggest you get your filthy paws off of her before I remove them for you.' A soft yet clear and determined voice sounds through the cafe. Jungeun steps closer as the words leave , her gaze fixed on Jinsol's wrist. His grip was tightening and Jungeun was angered at the thought of him leaving bruises. 

'And who might you be? Don't worry princess, leave us alone and mind your own business.' He laughs Jungeun's interruption off and turns back to Jinsol with a sinister smile on his face. 

'Maybe it's not so bad you don't talk, might come in handy.' 

Jinsol's eyes widen in fear and she tries to step back only to find herself trapped between him and the counter. At this point, Jungeun's last drop of self-control was thrown out the window.

*Jungeun POV*

How dare that swine?! Who does he think he is?! After stepping in to find him grabbing Jinsol's wrist, my vision turned red. I zoned in on where his hand was hurting her beautiful pale skin and suddenly nothing else mattered. 

I see only his back as he traps Jinsol against the counter and I've had enough. I rush forward and kick him in the back of the knee with as much force as I could muster, watching him fall down in pain.

'AAAA, what the hell!?' He looks up at me as I grab his hand that's still clinging to Jinsol. 

'I told you to get your filthy paws the hell off of her, you dirty pig!' I yell at him, seething with rage as I roughly twist his arm to force him to let go of my Jinsol.

He quickly lets go of her and I gently grab her hand and pull her behind me. I feel her squeeze my hand and lean into my back, hiding while gripping on to the back of my sweater.

'Who the hell are you? This is none of your business! Jinsol, tell this that you're going on a date with me, and she should leave!' He looks me straight in the eye as he says this. I stare right back, determined to protect Jinsol at all costs. The 2 guys behind him, whom I assume are his friends, stand by his sides looking smug and cracking their knuckles. I have a feeling this might turn into a physical fight if he doesn't back down now. I tense my free hand and crack my neck, looking at him with my best smirk.

'Come on boys, be smart and just leave. There's no need to start a fight. I wouldn't want to have to call an ambulance.' 

The boys look at each other and chuckle, their leader rolls his shoulders and gets into a fighting stance. I scoff at myself. These idiots are really about to fight a black belt in mixed martial arts? 

I wait for them to make the first move, I would never attack first. It's all about self-defence. He takes a step closer and I push Jinsol further back, away from me.

'Okay princess, you really want to get your kicked? Last chance. Jinsol, tell your overprotective friend here to leave and give me your number so I can pick you up for our date tomorrow.'

A big smile is plastered on his face and I feel Jinsol squeeze my hand behind me. I squeeze her trembling hand back and let go to step closer to him. I look up to stare him straight in the eyes.

At this point, I've noticed most of the customers have left, probably trying to avoid getting caught in the fight. Such cowards.

I smile at him cockily and raise an eyebrow expectantly. 'You won't be taking Jinsol anywhere, buddy. Now, I'll take my chances, have a go at me big boy.'

*Jinsol POV*

I stand frozen behind Jungeun. She's challenging this college student that's most likely a football player right in front of me. She's exuding confidence and I don't know why, but I feel safe and I trust her. When I saw her come in and save me, I knew this would end well. I hope she's not all talk. I don't want to see her hurt. Her hand felt soft in mine just moments ago, her small frame in front of me, like a bodyguard. I stare at her in awe as she crosses her arms and sticks out her hip leaning on one leg. She looks gorgeous from the back, her figure is amazing. I feel a blush creep up my cheeks and shake my head. I clench my fists in a useless attempt to stop the tremors going through my body. I'm scared, I may act cold and unaffected. But I get scared. I'm only human.

'Hey, bro. We're not gonna beat up a girl, are we?' His goons look nervous behind him. It seems they have more decency than he does. They take a few steps back.

'I'm just gonna teach this little lady a lesson.' He smiles and I feel my heart drop to my stomach. I trust Jungeun, but he's a big guy and could easily overpower her. Why is she so damn confident?

He pushes forward and swings at her with his big arm. I can't watch this. I look down and cover my eyes, shaking on my feet. 

'Argh!' I hear him scream in pain followed by a soft familiar chuckle. I dare to uncover my eyes and look at the scene in front of me.

'Is that all? You're a disgrace. Now leave this place, before I break more than just your finger.' Jungeun is towering over him. He's sitting on the floor, holding his wrist. His index finger is twisted in an unnatural way. I look at the back of Jungeun's head in awe and shock.

*Jungeun POV*

I look down at my work. His finger is nicely broken in a straight angle. He was so dumb to swing at me so obviously. It was so easy to block and turn his wrist. And him trying to get out of my grip and kick me just made me want to teach him a lesson. Breaking his finger is the mildest punishment I could think of. He stares at his finger, tears spilling over his cheeks. Broken fingers hurt, but not that bad. As I thought, he acts all tough but can't back it up.

His goons rush forward to pick him up but he doesn't seem to get the message yet.

'HOW DARE YOU?!' He screams as he stands up and grabs me by the collar with his good hand. I'm unphased, though slightly bothered by the 4 litres of cologne this guy seems to have on. I'm honestly done with playing nice at this point and twist his hand, dropping him onto his knees.

'You're testing my patience. Maybe I should break your arm instead of just a finger? Would you get the point then?' I grit my teeth and tighten my grip on his wrist. I pull back my other arm, ready to bring it down and obliterate his elbow.

'JUNGEUN NO!' The voice of an angel rings through the cafe, followed by my raised fist being gently brought down by a soft hand. I feel Jinsol push herself against my back, hiding her face in my hair. My breath hitches at her close proximity, and I feel the rage quickly subside within me. I take a deep breath and am ready to let go of his arm when he just had to open his damn mouth again.

'YOU SPEAK? TO THIS ?! Now that I've heard your voice, I know you can agree to be mine!' I'm ready to twist his arm further when I feel warm breathing by my ear.

'Please, Jungeun. He's not worth it. Please, no violence.' Jinsol's voice feels like velvet, so deep and smooth. My heart melts and I release him, roughly pushing him away from us.

I look at his goons and sigh. 'Do us all a favour and collect your idiotic friend, please? Take him away before I really lose it.'

They nod and start dragging him out, ignoring his protests and wild movements. I tense and as my adrenaline levels drop, my eyes and head start stinging. Come on, not now. I haven't even seen Jinsol yet. I was too busy trying to protect her and focused on her wrist that I haven't even seen her face yet. 

I hunch over in pain and feel Jinsol move with me and wrap an arm around my waist to steady me. I blink, trying to clear my head but to no avail. The familiar black edge starts to form in my vision again and I close my eyes, waiting for the stinging to stop.

'Jungeun, what's wrong? Please be okay.' Her velvety voice whispers into my ear, she sounds worried and maybe scared even. I feel her pull me closer to her and move me. I'm suddenly seated in what smells like the couch from yesterday. I feel her sit next to me and put her warm hands on my face. I dare to open my eyes, knowing my vision should be gone by now, the stinging having stopped. 

 

 

*Nobody POV*

As Jinsol gently rubs her thumbs over Jungeun's cheeks, she inches closer to her. Their faces are only a breath apart. Jinsol is worried, Jungeun wasn't reacting and hadn't opened her eyes either. Her eyes dart over Jungeun's features in a desperate attempt to figure out what's going on with her guardian angel. Jungeun's eyes flutter open, and a soft gasp escapes from her lips as she sees Jinsol for the first time, up close.

 

 

*Jinsol POV*

She opens her eyes and gasps. I move my face back a bit and gently run my hand down her cheek and jaw to let it rest at the base of her neck, my other hand carefully cupping her cheek. The look in her eyes changed. She was so confident and enraged earlier. And now all I see is fragility and, awe? She looks at me in pure awe.

'Jungeun? I...' She looks at me, really looks at me as if she can see me?! My eyes widen in surprise as she reaches up to cup my jaw and run her thumb over my bottom lip. I immediately feel my face heat up and my heart beat quicken. Her touch is so soft and gentle. I get lost in her eyes. Beautiful brown orbs staring back at me in, what almost looks like, pure adoration. She smiles softly as tears threaten to suddenly spill from her eyes. Her hand drops from my face and she turns her head to wipe away her tears and hide her beautiful face from me.

'Jungeun, I don't understand. What's going on? Why are you suddenly crying?' I keep my voice to a soft whisper, not wanting anyone else to hear me. There was nobody in the book corner right now, but I didn't want to risk it. I quickly look behind me towards the front of the store to find only 2 students still in their spots. Everyone else must have left after the fight. I turn my head back to her at the sound of her soft and shaky voice.

'You're gorgeous.' I stare at her wide-eyed as she looks at me with a soft smile on her lips. She reaches forward yet again and puts a lock of blonde hair behind my ear before cupping my jaw again.

'You're simply gorgeous, a goddess walking among us humans. Beautiful blonde locks to frame a soft pale face with a sharp-edged jaw. Beautiful big brown eyes to make my heart flutter with just one look and ...' She looks down at my lips and blushes softly. I can't help but smile and blush at her words before shaking my head in confusion.

'Wait, how..' She chuckles and my heart melts. It's easily the happiest sound I've heard in my life. 

'How can I see you? When just yesterday, I entered here, blind?' She tilts her head, looking amused as I nod confused.

'I suffer from chronic bursts of sudden blindness caused by stress. I had a brain tumour as a child and it left permanent damage. If I get stressed, physically or mentally, it tends to lead to sudden blindness for me. It can last anywhere between 3 minutes to a week. Though honestly the past year the episodes have been closer to a week than a minute. I had been in an episode yesterday yet somehow got out of it this morning already.' She pauses and takes a deep breath. I blink, trying to understand all the information she's giving me. Sudden blindness? My heart breaks for her. I wish she didn't have to suffer like this. I put my hand over the one she has on my jaw and gently squeeze, trying to encourage her to keep talking.

'When I realised that you were the hot barista they were talking about, I couldn't stand by and do nothing. This rage came over me and I found myself only able to think about protecting you at all cost. After they left and the adrenaline left me too, I felt a headache come up. Before an episode, I tend to get a splitting migraine-like headache and my eyes sting. My vision gets blurry and dark spots appear until my eyesight is entirely gone.'

I nod and frown in confusion. 'Then why? Why can you see me now?' My voice sounds hesitant, as I don't want to say the wrong thing. Here I go again. caring about her so easily. I can't control myself around this girl.

'I'm not sure. Usually, Boris detects when I start getting stressed and tries to stop it from happening. He used to be easily able to when I was younger. Lately, he drags me out of the situation usually and guides me when I end up having an episode regardless.' She looks at me confused and I tilt my head at her.

'Wait, where is Boris? Did you come without him?' I softly ask her and she smiles, her eyes sparkling with something I can't quite understand. She looks past me and I turn to look behind me at the front of the shop. There he was. Boris was sitting right by the door, calmly looking at us. I turn back to Jungeun in confusion. He's here? Then why didn't he stop her, or try to get her out of here?

'Boris is trained very well and has been with me since I was very young. He's my best friend and probably knows me better than anyone, even my doctors and mother.' She snaps her finger and I hear paws walk up to us. I turn to him and he sits in front of me, looking me in the eye with his big brown eyes. Jungeun lays her hand on top of his head.

'For the first year of episodes, my mother was able to calm me. If my mother was near. Boris would not intervene. He would sit back, knowing I was safe with her and there was no risk of me falling into an episode. He wasn't able to take a rest and do that since then. Nobody but him has been able to help me through the episodes. And not even he can prevent them anymore, let alone stop one that's already starting.'

I look at her in shock. Was she trying to say Boris felt she wasn't at risk because of me?! That's ridiculous, we barely know each other. Yes, I felt like I could really be myself around this girl. I can talk to her and find myself feeling safe around her. But for me to be the first person to stop an episode of hers?

She kisses my cheek and pulls back to look me in the eye.

'Boris stayed back because he trusted in your ability to help me. And you proved him right. I trust Boris with my life every single day. He's always right. Thank you.'

I tear up looking at her. I really helped her? I actually did something good?

Her eyes soften even more if that's even possible. She pulls me close to her and hugs me tightly. I tense before relaxing into her, burying my face against her shoulder. She smells like chocolate and strawberries. I inhale deeply and steady myself, hugging her back tightly. I feel her run a hand through my hair. My heart skips a beat and I blush as I realise how close we are.

I feel like with Jungeun, I might end up breaking all my rules.

*ding*

*Jungeun POV*

As I hold Jinsol in my arms and run my hand through her soft golden locks, I find myself smiling widely. I was already smitten with her at our first meeting only yesterday. And today further confirmed my feelings. I like this girl, I care for her. And I can tell there's a lot more to her than everyone sees and thinks. She's not just a pretty face, but if I'm honest, she really is gorgeous. A bell brings me out of my thoughts. Jinsol quickly raises her head and gives me an apologetic smile.

'C...Customer..' Her stuttering is back, it's endearing. I nod softly and help the both of us get up. I hold her hand and smile at her. I'll stick with her tonight to prevent something like earlier from happening again.

'I'll accompany you, Jinsol.' 

She nods and turns her head before walking towards the counter, still holding my hand. Her hair covers her face, but I still manage to see a soft smile and blush appear on her cheeks before her neutral face takes over. I could get used to her only showing that side of her to me. My angel, save your smiles for me. And I will give you my heart in return.

As I lean against the counter with Boris at my feet to watch her work, my heart skips a beat. As the customer walks away after placing his order and paying, she turns to prepare his drink. As she turns and notices me, she winks playfully and smiles before turning fully towards the coffee machine.

My face heats up and I bring both of my hands up to cup my cheeks while smiling like a fool.

I am a fool tonight. And after finding Jinsol, I don't think I mind.

*Nobody POV*

Not many customers visit the cafe after that. And very quickly the 2 end up alone in the book corner. A cup of hot chocolate steaming up the air in their hands, a smile on their faces, their gaze on the aquarium beside them.

Jinsol is the one to break the silence.

'Jungeun, do you know about blue bettas?'

Jungeun smiles and shakes her head. She turns to Jinsol after putting her cup down, leaning her arm on the couch behind her to lean her head on. Her full attention is given to Jinsol and Boris lays down at Jinsol's feet, slowly dozing off.

'I don't. Tell me about them, please! I love fish!'

Jungeun loves fish, she really does. So much so that she read up a lot about them. She owned a book on betta fish and how to care for them. But she wouldn't tell Jinsol that..yet. 

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------

Author's note:

Well, that was a whole ordeal, been writing quite some time. Yet more story keeps falling out of my brain and onto this website. Stay tuned for more!

Feedback is always appreciated and you can contact me on @Ghostwritemyli1 on Twitter with questions about the story or requests for another story!