Pancakes and new friendships

Bright nights and dark days

*Nobody POV*

Jinsol told Jungeun about a pancake house her co-worker Vivi spends a lot of time at. Vivi would often mention the place when she left after her shift. Jungeun, of course, agreed, realizing it's probably the same place she went to twice before. She enjoyed the pancakes and the staff seemed very friendly and helpful last time.

They walk into the pancake house hand in hand.

*Jungeun POV*

I notice Jinsol tensing up when we enter. The bell rings as the door softly clicks shut behind us. I look up at her to find her nervously looking around. She's obviously uncomfortable. I feel kind of bad. She wouldn't be stepping out of her comfort zone if it wasn't for me. I lean in closer to whisper in her ear.

'Jinsol, we don't have to eat here. We could just go straight to my house if you're uncomfortable around all these people?' 

She looks at me and shakes her head softly before squeezing my hand and leading me to a booth in the corner furthest away from everyone else. As we sit down she leaves some space between us and lets go of my hand. I squeeze her hand gently and lean up to kiss her cheek reassuringly.

'I've been here before. The food is good and the staff has always been very understanding and kind.' Jinsol nods softly and looks at me slightly less tense than before. She grabs the menu card off the table and stares at it, deep in thought. I can't help but smile at the small pout and frown forming on her face as she tries to figure out what to eat. 

'Should I recommend something?' I ask softly, smiling to myself.

She turns her head to me and pouts even more. Oh, this girl is too cute! I squeal and let go of her hand to grab her cheeks and pinch them playfully.

'Aigoo, my cute little Jinsol is pouting. What's wrong? Where is your beautiful smile?' I playfully stretch the skin on her soft cheeks and talk in a baby voice to her. It doesn't take long for her to crack a smile and start blushing bright red. I smile back brightly and point at the menu.

'The first time I came here, I had the breakfast special. It's pretty good but very filling. I couldn't finish it last time, maybe we could share? Only if you don't mind though!' I smile hesitantly and look at her awaiting some type of answer. 

She leans in, her breath tickling my ear and making me tense up. Her lovely soft voice making me weak.

'I think I would like that very much. I... I'm sorry but could you order?' She leans back a bit and looks at me apologetically.

'Stop with the puppy eyes. I already get that look enough from Boris.' At the sound of his name, Boris wags his tail under the table.

'Of course I'll order, I really don't mind.' I nod and pat her leg before turning to raise my hand and get the waitress's attention.

The same waitress I saw last time happily hops over to us and gets out her notepad. 

'Hello and welcome, how may I help you today?' She smiles brightly before turning to Boris under the table.

'Oh hey, I remember you! Are you in need of some water again?' She smiles down at him before looking up at me questioningly.

I chuckle and feel Jinsol has gotten tense again beside me. I reach out to hold her hand underneath the table and reply cheerily.

'That won't be necessary this time, thank you. He just ate and drank a bit ago. Could we please have the breakfast special? Could we have it with 2 sets of cutlery, though?' Jinsol squeezes my hands and I turn to smile at her but she's staring down at the table. I turn back to the waitress, Haseul was her name I think. I get my answer as I read her nametag. Her name is indeed Haseul.

'Of course! No problem, I usually share with my girlfriend too. It's a big portion, isn't it?' She chuckles as she jots down our order and I hear Jinsol suddenly coughing next to me.

'Hey, are you okay?' I gently pat her back as she coughs and holds her hand up trying to signal she's fine. The coughing subsides and she rubs the back of her neck. Her face is flushed red.

'I'll bring you some water. That's complimentary. Would you like anything else to drink with your order?' Haseul looks at Jinsol caringly.

Jinsol shakes her head softly and I rub circles into her back softly.

'No, thanks. Water is fine.' I smile sweetly up at Haseul as she nods and bows briefly before walking off.

I turn back to Jinsol and push some stray hairs away from her eyes. 

'What happened there, are you okay?' I look her in the eye as she starts turning red again.

*Jinsol POV*

I feel my cheeks heat up and look down at my lap quickly, squirming under Jungeun's worried gaze. I nearly died when the waitress basically implied Jungeun and I are girlfriends. And Jungeun didn't even bother to deny it! But we're not girlfriends, are we? I mean, we're just getting to really know each other. We're comfortable around each other and there's no denying there's something there but it's too fast to say we're a couple, right? 

But oh god, I'm meeting her mother for lunch already. This is fast, what am I doing. Jinsol, you absolute idiot. Abort now, leave. Stop this before it goes too... far...

So soft, her hand on my jaw is so soft as she guides my head up for our eyes to meet. Her dark brown orbs bore into mine as she glides her hand down to rest on my shoulder comfortably. Her hand is so warm...

'Jinsol, I can literally see the smoke coming out of your ears. What are you overthinking in that pretty little head of yours?' Her voice is soft and caring, laced with worry. I can't help but feel guilty and look down.

'I'm sorry...' I whisper into the air between us. A sigh escapes her lips as she pulls me into a soft embrace. My hands automatically find their way to her waist, wrapping around her delicate frame. 

'No need to apologise. Just know that you can talk to me about anything, okay? And if something makes you uncomfortable, please tell me. We may not be used to it, but we're in this together now. We can confide in each other, right?' She pulls back to look me in the eye and I can't help but nod and lean in to place a soft kiss on her cheek.

Jungeun smiles and I swear she lit up the place.

'Excuse me for interrupting, but here's your breakfast, ladies.' A voice interrupts our little moment and we quickly spring apart, both of our cheeks a pretty shade of red.

'Ah, yes thank you! This looks delicious!' Jungeun looks and sounds positively flustered as the waitress places our food on the table. I can't help but smile at her cuteness before remembering the waitress is still standing in front of us. I quickly cover my smile and look up. Our eyes meet and she smiles and winks.

'Don't worry. My girlfriend smiles at me the same way. No reason to be shy.' She bows courteously and leaves the table after patting Boris on the head.

I tilt my head in confusion, why was this waitress being so nice to me?

'We should probably eat before it gets cold.' I turn my head to Jungeun and nod before grabbing a fork and knife, cutting our pancakes and waffles. Our... Feels strangely nice to say.

*Nobody POV*

They spend their time silently eating, accompanied by the occasional kiss on the cheek and playful banter. Tucked away safely in the corner, where nobody can see them.

Or so they thought. 

From the counter, Haseul can just about see the couple enjoying their meal and acting absolutely adorable. 

*Haseul POV*

I can't help but smile at the 2 seated in the corner, enjoying their breakfast special. They barely speak a word to each other, but they don't have to either. The gazes and subtle glances speak for them. Occasionally the blonde-haired girl with the big doe eyes leans in to shyly feed the grey-haired girl a piece of pancake. To which the grey-haired girl beams a sweet smile her way and happily accepts it. Those two are sickeningly sweet.

Though it didn't escape me that they're different from the typical couple. Blondie hasn't spoken a word out loud, except for the occasional whisper to her partner. 

And when I mentioned my girlfriend, Blondie nearly choked on her own saliva. Which leads me to think, whatever they are, it's not official and most likely a bit complicated.

My heart aches for them. They look so close yet there's a distinct line between them, they're both holding back.

'Oh, I know that look. Leave them alone, honey.' A pair of soft arms wrap around my waist from behind me, a chin resting comfortably on my shoulder. Soft pink hair tickles my cheek and I turn to my sneaky girlfriend.

'When did you get here? And why are you behind the counter, you know only staff is allowed here.' She chuckles before turning me around in her arms and kissing my forehead playfully. She pouts and speaks softly.

'What if I'm the secret owner's girlfriend?' I chuckle and slap her arm playfully.

'Hush, what if someone hears you, hm?' I look around, most customers have left, save for 2 regulars and the couple in the corner.

Yes, I am the proud owner of Jo's Pancake House. Yet I pretended to just be a waitress. If anyone asked, I said the owner was busy in the back or was out getting supplies.

It was nicer this way. People expect less from me and are overall nicer if they think I'm just a waitress. They also tend to want less from me. I once made the mistake of mentioning it to whom I thought was a friend of mine. They became greedy, wanting to always eat for free and asking favours. I decided then to distance myself from them and not mention my business to anyone. I moved my business to the next town over, where I met the love of my life.

'There's nobody here, Seulie. Now, why are you bothering my colleague and her friend?' A cute head tilt and nod towards the couple makes me smile.

'Well, my dear Vivi... Something is going on with those 2 and they very much remind me of us. And I did not bother them, nor did I know one of them is your colleague.' I turn back to the couple, still in Vivi's warm arms.

'Wait... Is it blondie? That girl you mention that everyone always drools over and never speaks? What was her name?' I scrunch my nose in concentration to remember her name. Vivi's breath tickles my ear as she leans in closer.

'Her name is Jinsol. She's indeed the blonde beauty I mentioned before. I've never heard her speak. We text occasionally but she seems set on keeping it a strictly business relationship. I don't mind so I give her her space.'

She nuzzles into my hair and sighs sweetly. I chuckle and squeeze her arms.

'Well, I do get the fuss. That girl is ridiculously pretty. Especially when she smiles like that to the other girl.' 

We quietly watch the couple huddled together, whispering into each other's ears softly. 

'Yeh, I'm taking a wild guess she's the girl my boss told me about. Apparently, Jinsol had spoken during last night's shift. The other girl came to save her from a douchebag that's always bothering Jinsol. He even asks about her during my shifts.' I nod at this new information and smile brightly.

Sounds like I was right, definitely something special going on between those two.

'Honey, please don't meddle. Jinsol is very kind but there's a reason she never talked or opened up to anyone probably. Let her figure it out in her own time.'

I let go of Vivi's arms and step out of her hold, turning to her.

'Darling, I love you, but I can handle this. It worked out with you, didn't it?' She chuckles and shakes her head.

'Okay, fine. But I like Jinsol as a colleague. She always cleans everything perfectly after her shift and even helped me before my shift with a delivery the other day. Don't do something to make her quit. Deal?'

I smile brightly and lean in to kiss her cheek.

'Deal!' I jump and clap my hands together excitedly before turning back to the couple.

'Besides, I want to befriend them, don't you?'

Vivi nods, stepping beside me and wrapping an arm around my shoulders, I lean into her touch.

I see Jinsol look up and notice Vivi next to me. Her eyes widen and I can't help but lean up to kiss Vivi's jaw. She looks down and kisses my nose softly.

Jinsol's partner looks up and waves at us.

'Excuse me! Haseul, could we get the bill?' 

I grab Vivi's hand and drag her to their table with me. I hear her chuckle behind me.

'You know what, my girlfriend Vivi just told me that you, Jinsol, are her dear colleague. Apparently, you don't come out much so to thank you for choosing this fine establishment, the breakfast is on the house.'

Their eyes widen and they look at each other confused. I can't help but laugh at the scene unfolding in front of me.

'No, we can't possibly allow you to do that!'

Vivi steps closer to the table and smiles at them kindly.

'Sorry, Jinsol. I can't stop her even if I tried. Just accept it, it'll make things easier for everyone. Also, thank you for remembering me mentioning this place. I knew you listened to some of the things I say.' She playfully winks at Jinsol.

'I... Well, if it can't be helped. Thank you very much. It feels a bit weird that everyone knows everyone's names except for mine. My name is Jungeun, it's a pleasure to meet you.' 

Jungeun stands up and bows deeply. Jinsol quietly gets up and does the same.

'Are you sure there's nothing we can do to repay you? We have the money to pay, honestly. I feel bad just accepting this so suddenly.'

I smile before shaking my head and reaching my hand out to Jungeun.

'Just accept it. If you want to feel like you deserve it, there's one thing I would like. Let's become friends?' I smile brightly as Jungeun takes my hand and shakes it gently.

'I would like that a lot, Haseul. I don't have too many friends here yet.' I glance to the side to find Jinsol staring at our hands and I quickly retract my hand from Jungeun's before nodding at Jinsol.

'Well then, I'll be seeing you guys around here more often? You can get my number from Vivi. She can send it to Jinsol and Jinsol can send both numbers to you?'

Jungeun nods and smiles brightly. What a cheery girl. I nod one last time and walk back to the counter.

'Sorry about her, I'll message you Jinsol. Happy you're trying by the way.' I hear Vivi's soft voice behind me before she quickens her pace to join me at the counter.

'I heard that you know.' I frown at her playfully.

'So what if you did?' She hugs me tightly. 'Just be careful. I was easy compared to Jinsol. That girl is extremely closed off. Maybe it's best to leave her to Jungeun. Though I do like the thought of us 4 being friends.'

I nod and smile, hugging my pink-haired princess back tightly.

I wave as Jungeun and Jinsol leave, Jungeun smiling back brightly and waving while Jinsol pulls her out of the door.

Those 2 are very interesting.

 

 

 

-------------------------------------

Author's note:

New character POV! yaay

I hope you guys enjoyed this update :)