Clear vision

Bright nights and dark days

*Nobody POV*

Jinsol didn't sleep much that night and simply laid around... She had to rest to be able to stay up all night for her shift at the cafe. Thoughts of the girl that visited the cafe last night keep running through her mind. Jungeun had entered Jinsol's life so suddenly, yet made such a large impact on her in their short time spent together. In the span of 30 minutes, she lost her heart to the blind girl. Though Jinsol hadn't realised this yet. Or, to be more exact, didn't allow herself to think that way.

As the alarm goes off on her phone, indicating it's time for her to go help Vivi handle the pastry delivery, Jinsol jumps up. She had been so deep in thought about a certain grey-haired girl, that she completely lost track of her environment. A blush is visible on her cheeks as she turns off the alarm and quickly runs to the bathroom to shower and get dressed.

*Jinsol POV*

As I wasn't officially going in to work, I felt no need to wear my typical work outfit consisting of black dress pants and a white blouse. We had to wear the blue apron with the cafe logo on it over that. I instead opted for a pair of jeans and an oversized dark blue sweater. It was rather chilly out this morning, as the sun hasn't come to greet us yet either, the streets were covered in mist and darkness. I pull the hood over my head to keep me warm and hide my face from the few people walking the streets at this early time of day. I briskly walk towards the cafe and find myself at the side door at exactly 5 am. Vivi should be here already.

I turn the doorknob to find the door indeed unlocked and walk in to see Vivi in her work uniform. She smiles at me and waves. 'Good morning, Jinsol! The baker is on the way with the delivery, he just called me. He should be here any moment now. Thank you for coming in so early to help. Will you be okay for the night shift tonight?' She walks up to me and I nod softly. This was the most Vivi would talk to me. She knew there was no point to attempt to start a conversation with me. It was better to keep our relationship strictly professional. A car horn is heard outside. That must be the baker. Vivi walks out first and I prop the side door open with the designated piece of wood. We start moving the boxes in as fast as possible so we can set the displays up for the morning shift.

*Jungeun POV*

*beep beep* I reach for my phone on my nightstand and quickly turn off the alarm. I throw the covers off of my face and open my eyes. It hurts as my eyes adjust to the light. My vision has returned again, though it's still a bit blurry. Why am I not ecstatic because I can suddenly see? Because I'm used to it.

When I was 3 years old, I got a brain tumour that attached itself closely to the nerves controlling my eyesight. I would experience temporary blindness until eventually the tumour was safely removed in a surgery. My mother told me I had recovered for a short while, until one day in class when I lost my eyesight again. One of the other children in my class had stolen my favourite teddy bear and I got so upset I cried until my mother came to pick me up. When she did, she noticed I wasn't walking properly and didn't react to much visually. I just stared ahead dumbfounded. The doctors said the tumour had damaged my optical nerves in a way that stress and anxiety would cause a sort of sensory overload, leading to the temporary blindness. It could last anywhere from only an hour to a full day. It depended on the severity of the stress and anxiety, and the amount of rest I could get after. My mother got me, Boris, shortly after, he went everywhere I went, whether I had my vision or not. Most of the time Boris could stop me from getting upset, preventing a sudden attack of blindness. But there were times he couldn't, after which he simply guided me. Boris is my best friend, I don't have many friends in general. After the trauma of her only child having a brain tumour, and after recovering, finding out she would have to deal with her vision coming and going for probably the rest of her life, my mother became overprotective. She decided I should be homeschooled, to eliminate the possibility of stress or anxiety to a certain extent. I was still allowed to have hobbies, but only ones that would be safe for me to do even if I suddenly lost my vision. And so I learned how to rely on my other senses. I was given music and singing lessons, quickly picking up the guitar and piano along the way. My teacher, Soyou, thought I was very talented and had a unique voice. I would accompany her in performances with a small group of children my age. That was the most social interaction I was able to get for a long while.

I turned 16 just a few months ago, and my mother decided to move to this new city. I was excited, hoping that maybe I could finally have a new start. Be known as more than the girl with the vision problems. My doctors saw a deterioration in my condition. My moments of blindness would now last up to as much as a week. It was becoming more difficult for me to calm myself. The constant stress of my mother being overbearing, and closing me off from the rest of the world, was becoming too much. After we moved, she didn't allow me to explore the town. I just wanted to go find a park I could sit in and enjoy fresh air with Boris but my mother wouldn't allow it. She told me she needed to explore the town first and find out where I could safely go. I ran off multiple times on my own after that, easily being able to pick the lock after years of practice. I would often pick the lock just to go sing at the park near our old house at night. Eventually, my mother gave up on locking me in and allowed me to visit the park in the evening, as long as I came back home before 10 pm.

Yesterday I couldn't sleep and wandered off before my mother even woke up for work. She quickly found out and started calling me numerous times, texting me that she's looking for me, and worried and that I need to come back. I had lost my vision the night before that because of a panic attack. My mother and I got into a fight and my system couldn't take it anymore. She was worried I would fall or get hurt by someone, even though I was very capable of going around blind, especially with Boris by my side. At some point, I felt Boris tug me into what smelled like a cafe. I sensed someone was there but couldn't quite make it out. My answer came in the form of Jinsol. Her name makes me smile just thinking about it.

I jump out of bed happily and hug Boris, who was laying on the floor beside my bed. 'Good morning, buddy! My vision returned so quickly this time! I guess I really will be able to see Jinsol today!' Boris barks at me happily and I rough up his fur as I pass him to get ready for the day. My mother should be at work already and told me last night after yet another argument that she'd come home at 8 pm. She told me she expects me to be home at that time and not wandering off somewhere, especially with my eyesight gone. She doesn't know I woke up refreshed and with my vision getting clearer by the second. I can't help but think maybe Jinsol had something to do with my quick recovery this time around. Not even the argument last night with my mother could sour my mood, which seemed to further annoy her as I simply smiled to myself, letting her yell her heart out. 

After showering and getting dressed in a pair of black ripped jeans and my favourite red sweater, I check my phone quickly and turn off the voice help. I wouldn't need it for now at least. It's nearly noon now, and my stomach growls just as I notice Boris moving towards the hallway whining softly. 

'Alright, alright. Let's get the both of us some brunch shall we?' I run downstairs with Boris following closely behind and put his guide dog patch in my backpack together with my wallet and phone. If something happens and he needs to be recognised as a guide dog again, I can put the patch back on his harness. But for now, we get to just be normal for a little while longer, in a town that doesn't know us yet. I grab his leash and put it on him before swiftly taking some tools out of my backpack to pick the lock. As I step out I take a deep breath and look around smiling. We moved to a nice looking neighbourhood, everyone walking around looking busy but content. Quite the opposite from my hometown, where everyone frowned and seemed to have trouble with the concept of simply greeting each other. 

I set out with Boris to a pancake house I remember eating at last week when I had run off to explore. As I enter, I am greeted by a girl a few years older than me and she smiles kindly. 'Hello, and welcome to our humble establishment. My name is Haseul. You can sit anywhere you like and just wave when you're ready to order.' I nod and smile back as I go to sit by the window at a table meant for 2. Boris settles under the table between my legs. 'Excuse me! Miss Haseul?' I wave at the girl as she walks from another customer to my table holding a notepad and pen. She smiles at me and glances down at Boris briefly. 

'What can I get for you today, miss?' Her tone is cheerful and warm. She seems like the kind of person anyone could befriend, the caring type. 

'Could I have the deluxe brunch deal for 1, please? And is there a possibility of getting a bowl of water for my dog?' I ask tentatively. In my hometown, they would often make a fuzz over Boris being inside restaurants and always asked to see his certificate. So far I haven't seen many ''No dogs allowed''-signs around here though.

'Of course, would you like that with orange juice or coffee? And as for your furry little friend here, one of my co-workers brings her dog in to stay at the office in the back sometimes. I'm sure we can use her bowl.' She bends down to pet Boris softly and then looks at me expectantly. 

'Thank you so much. Just orange juice, please. Coffee isn't really my thing.' I'm more of a hot chocolate kind of girl. I was tempted to ask for hot chocolate but felt like nothing could even come close to the heartwarming beverage I was served by the one named Jinsol yesterday. As Haseul nods and walks away, I find a blush creeping its way up to my cheeks thinking about Jinsol. Her voice had been so soft and her words so cold. But there was a hidden warmth behind them, that much I could tell. Over the years I became very good at recognising true emotions behind people's voice. A skill that's very helpful both with and without vision.

***

After brunch, I stop by my house again to feed Boris and grab a scarf. I'd be out late tonight at the cafe, hopefully with Jinsol and it had gotten chillier lately. As we walk back out into town, I can't help but hum softly to myself. In a few hours, I get to see Jinsol. I get to really see her. I wonder if she's as beautiful as her voice is. I think back to how soft her hand felt in mine. The scent of coffee and cinnamon mixed with rose shampoo coming from her hair. I had to stop myself when I hugged her yesterday, her smell was so enticing that I just wanted to stay like that forever. I wonder if her smile is as vibrant and cute as her chuckle had been. Jungeun, you've got it bad. You're crushing on a girl you only met once. A girl you've never seen before at that.

*Nobody POV*

Jungeun ends up sitting at the edge of the river running through town, with Boris by her side to keep her warm and safe. She watches as time passes and gradually the air grows colder. At 6 pm, Jungeun gets up and stretches looking over the water. Boris barks next to her and she grabs his leash and tugs him along. 

She wanders around town, not quite remembering where the cafe is. And as smart as Boris is, he can't speak or actually understand her so she just walked around. After walking around for 20 minutes, she sees a group of 3 male students huddled together, walking by towards a cafe in the distance. Jungeun couldn't help but overhear their rather loud conversation. 

'Are you actually going to try to ask her out again dude? It's useless, man. She has not spoken a word since she started working there. She doesn't even speak to her own boss.' One of the other boys, sporting a football jersey, shrugs and laughs. 'She'll have to give into my charm someday right?' Jungeun takes a step closer as the boys stop a few meters away from her. The boy in the jersey puffs up his chest and shouts at his friends, 'Jinsol, I will make you talk to me today! You can't play hard to get forever!'. At hearing Jinsol's name, Jungeun gasps. She looks up to see the boys walk into a cafe called 'Loona Cafe' and swiftly follows behind them. She's intrigued at hearing Jinsol never spoke to anyone. And her heart and face warm at the memory of hearing Jinsol say her name only the night before, on their first meeting. Jungeun felt special. But then that warmth was quickly replaced by anger as she remembered that guy arrogantly speaking about Jinsol. She quickly opens the cafe door to find the 3 boys leaning over the counter talking rudely to someone. To what had to be, her Jinsol.