Guardians

Bright nights and dark days

Jinsol leans against Jungeun’s mother, Jiwoo and Sooyoung next to them, all patiently waiting for the doctor to come out. Since she saw Jungeun’s toes twitch and called the nearest nurse, the neurologist and attending physician have been examining her and adjusting her medication. Only Boris was allowed to stay inside as they fussed over her. Now they stand together, hearts beating fast, hoping Jungeun wakes up sooner rather than later.

 

Jinsol takes a step forward the instant she sees the door to Jungeun’s room open. The doctor and neurologist step out with a gentle smile and bow their heads in greeting to the small group in the hallway. ‘Her vitals are more stable and she’s reacting to outside stimulants more and more by the minute. I wouldn’t be surprised if she wakes up soon.’ The group lets out a sigh of relief, hands clasping over worried hearts. ‘She’s going to be okay?’ Jinsol’s big worried eyes stare into the doctor’s, who smiles at her and pats her shoulder. ‘She’s always been a fighter. It seems she was just overwhelmed and her body shut down due to fatigue. With good rest, she’ll recover just fine as usual. Especially with such support around her like you all.’ Hyoyeon thanks the doctors as they walk away and wraps an arm around Jinsol’s shoulder. ‘Stay by her side tonight, Jinsol. I’ll get the girls home and get an overnight bag for you both, okay?’

 

Jinsol can only smile sadly and nod, grateful that she won’t be pulled away from Jungeun again. She turns, hugging Jiwoo and Sooyoung tightly. ‘Thank you both. I’m so sorry.’ Jiwoo shakes her head and squeezes the elder’s arm. ‘You’re here now, that’s what matters.’ Sooyoung takes Jiwoo by the hand and they follow behind Hyoyeon as she leads them down the hall. Jinsol watches them walk away before gently pushing open the room door and entering. Jungeun lays where she left her, with Boris this time curled up at the end of the bed. The doctors must’ve moved him to check on her.

 

Approaching the bed, Jinsol settles next to Jungeun, wanting to be as close to her as possible. She leans her head against Jungeun’s temple and wraps a gentle arm around her waist. ‘I’m so so sorry, Jungie.’ Jinsol closes her eyes, letting silent tears escape, wetting the pillow beneath their heads. Boris shuffles closer to lay between their legs, nudging Jinsol gently while whining. She sniffles and looks down at him with a sad smile. ‘You’re right, I should be here for her, not cry over my stupid mistakes.’ She brings Jungeun’s limp body closer to her, warming her up and kissing her cheek. ‘Please, wake up, baby.’

 

By the time Hyoyeon returns with extra clothes for Jungeun and Jinsol, she finds the elder of the 2 fast asleep in the hospital bed next to her daughter. She smiles softly. Jinsol is good for Jungeun and vice versa, and it’s during moments like these that she is happy they found each other. She quietly puts some drinks and snacks in the cabinet and puts away the clothes before setting out a plate and bowl of food and water for Boris. She walks over to the bed and pats the dogs head. ‘She has 2 guardians now, huh?’ He blinks at her tiredly before nuzzling against Jinsol’s leg again. Turning off the lights, Hyoyeon goes to inform the night staff of her departure and that Jinsol will be spending the night with Jungeun. She hopes to return in the morning to find both girls awake and happy.