Battery Low

Bright nights and dark days

*Nobody POV*

 

Jungeun counts the last minutes ticking away on the clock. Next to her, Jiwoo bounces in her seat, ready to jump up when the bell rings. Their teacher finishes up for the day, reminding everyone of their homework due the next week.

 

When the bell finally rings, Jungeun and Jiwoo are the first to get up and rush out the door, backpacks flying behind them, catching the wind they’re creating. ‘WOOHOO! FINALLY WEEKEND!’ Of course, the arrival of the weekend isn’t the only reason the 2 seniors are so excited. Weekend meant both Sooyoung and Jinsol being home for 2 full days, instead of fleeting dates and late evenings when they’re all so tired they can barely do more than cuddle and enjoy each other’s company while it lasts.

 

Jungeun has been struggling with it more than Jiwoo. Her friend’s cheery disposition allows her to stay positive even though she also misses her girlfriend very much. However, a big difference between the 2 couples is that Jinsol is quiet in nature, meaning that she won’t tell Jungeun if she’s too tired to come home, leading to a disheveled Jinsol knocking at her door late at night just to snuggle into her and fall asleep standing up.

 

‘I hope they don’t have too much work either this weekend. Besides our English paper, which is almost finished, we are free.’ Nodding, Jungeun clasps her friend’s hand tightly as they make their way through the gates. ‘Even if they have work to do, I’ll just be glad to spend time with Jinsol and be able to take care of her.’


 

***TIME SKIP***


 

*Nobody POV*

 

Jinsol sighs for the umpteenth time, rubbing her eyes raw and barely suppressing another yawn. Her entire being screams out fatigue, her body wanting to simply give up after a long day at college. Tasks have been piling up, especially since she’s been exempted from group projects due to her anxiety. Instead, she has to make the whole project on her own and the extra week she gets to finish it has not been helping her at all.

 

Not being able to see Jungeun lately is also taking a toll on her mental state. Yes, they text each other and yes Jinsol goes to her apartment every night. But some days last too long, causing her to need to stay on campus, sleeping over at Sooyoung’s dorm. When she does manage to get home at a decent time, Jungeun waiting for her patiently, she usually has a pile of study work to get through, her mind and body on the brink of sleep. Jungeun is always understanding, helping her when she can, making her coffee and massaging her neck as she studies but they both miss being able to properly spend time together. Summer feels like it’s ages away now.

 

Dragging her feet across campus, she manages to make it up the steps of Sooyoung’s dorm building. She punches in the access code, slipping in quietly and heading straight for the furthest room on the right hallway. Not bothering to knock, knowing Sooyoung was already out at a party with her classmates, Jinsol taps the small digits on the lock, unlocking the door and letting herself in.

 

The door closes behind her with a soft click, the lock falling back into place. Jinsol shuffles towards the desk, setting her bag down on the floor with a thud. Pulling out her laptop and books, she manages to settle into the desk chair, ready to continue working on her project. Looking at the clock, she sees she still has an hour before Jungeun gets home from her study group.

 

Determined to finish as much of the project as she can before having to catch her train, Jinsol bends over her laptop. Her phone lays in her backpack on the floor, screen softly blinking, ‘battery low’ displayed at the top.


 

***

 

‘I told you to stop this…’ Getting more and more annoyed, Jungeun clenches her fists. Luckily for her, the others in her study group back her up, having known her for longer than the guy in front of her. ‘Seriously, all you need is 1 date with me and you’ll forget all about that supposed girlfriend of yours.’ Jungeun gets ready to wipe the smirk right off of Jin’s face. He started anew at their school for his senior year, nobody knowing anything about him.

 

Quickly, it became clear he is a player with serious issues. Jungeun has recently been his latest target, despite everyone knowing of her very committed relationship with Jinsol. ‘Jin, back off man.’ Johnny, one of the students she’s known for a while, steps up, using his height to intimidate the other boy. Everyone was starting to get really fed up with his attitude. Unfortunately, he was assigned to Jungeun’s study group for their history class, as they had a large project due and weren’t allowed to choose their groupmates.

 

It had been bothering Jungeun for weeks now, but she couldn’t tell Jinsol with how much the college student already has on her mind. She opted to deal with it on her own, with Jiwoo’s help, but now everything was building up too much.

Jiwoo comes back from her own study group, wanting to pick Jungeun up and get something to drink together before Jungeun leaves to go see Jinsol again. She’s glad her study group was finished early today, seeing the situation Jungeun is currently in. Quickening her pace, she crosses the library, grabbing Jungeun’s clenched fist. ‘Jungie! Let it go. I know it’s hard but just ignore him.’ Shaking her head, Jungeun looks back to her best friend, eyes threatening to spill tears of frustration.

 

‘I can’t handle this all anymore..’ She grabs her bag, turning away from Jiwoo and running off. Jiwoo chases her until she eventually stops at a park near Jinsol’s apartment.

 

‘I miss her so much Jiwoo… Even though we see each other almost every evening and text and call all the time, we’re both so busy that we’re not fully there with each other! It’s exhausting and frustrating!’ Finally releasing her emotions, Jungeun collapses in the grass, head in her hands and tears slipping between her fingers, fighting gravity but inevitably hitting the ground at her knees.

 

‘Jungeun…’ Jiwoo can’t do or say much to make her best friend feel better. She simply holds her, letting her cry her heart out. She always knew Jungeun and Jinsol’s relationship was special, from the first time Sooyoung and her met them last year. Patting Jungeun’s back, she tries singing to her, knowing Jinsol sometimes does it when Jungeun gets anxious.

 

After a few minutes, Jungeun’s breathing evens out, her hands rubbing at her face as she sniffles. ‘Thank you, Jiwoo.’ Looking up, she finds her smiling down at her brightly. Grateful, she hugs her back tightly. ‘Thank you…’ The 2 stay like that for a moment longer before getting up and gathering their bags. ‘Let’s get you home and freshened up for when Jinsol gets home, huh?’ Nodding shyly at the mention of Jinsol, Jungeun takes a deep breath before scrambling to find her phone.

 

‘I should call her, she’s been out of class for an hour already!’ Quickly dialing her number, Jungeun holds her breath as the phone rings. Hopeful eyes quickly turn to those of worry and confusion as Jungeun’s phone can’t connect to Jinsol’s number. ‘What’s wrong?’ Shaking her head, she dials the number again, only to be met with the same robotic voice saying ‘The number you are trying to call is unavailable right now…’. ‘Jiwoo, she’s not answering… She never leaves her phone uncharged.’

 

Frowning, Jiwoo pats Jungeun’s back in comfort. ‘She’s been tired and busy lately, right? What if she just forgot. She’s only human too, Jungie.’ Refusing to believe it, Jungeun shakes her head and sends a dozen texts to her girlfriend, all left unread.

‘You don’t understand, Jiwoo. It’s our one rule to never leave our phones uncharged or turn them off without warning each other! It’s the only way we can talk and be sure the other is safe and well!’

Panic is visible on Jungeun’s face, her pupils shaking, as do her hands, now tightly wrapping around her phone. ‘I don’t know what to say… I’m sure she’s fine and just fell asleep at Soo’s dorm or something!’ Walking towards Jinsol’s apartment at a quick pace, Jungeun tries dialing Sooyoung’s number but to no avail.

 

Jiwoo tags along, quickly checking her own phone, finding messages from her girlfriend. ‘Baby, my classmates invited me to a party tonight! We’re working on a group project and then celebrating someone’s birthday! It’s a disconnect to connect concept, so I won’t be able to respond for a while, sorry! Love you!’

Cursing under her breath, she shows Jungeun the message. ‘We won’t be able to reach her for a while. You know how socially inclined my Soo is.’ Mumbling under her breath, Jungeun rings the doorbell to Jinsol’s apartment, hoping Jinsol simply came home early and fell asleep or something.

 

After the 10th time ringing, Jiwoo grabs both her hands, forcing her to stop and look at her. ‘Jungeun, listen to me. Don’t worry too much. I’m sure she’s fine and will call back or message anytime now, okay?’ Tears streaking her cheeks, Jungeun blinks at Jiwoo. Her hands feel clammy, heart beating out of her chest. She can’t stop shaking, her mind running rampant with all the possible things that could’ve happened to Jinsol, her Jinsol. None of those thoughts are positive… Her current brain space won’t allow her to think rationally.

 

Jiwoo wraps her up in a hug, trying to calm her down but to no avail. ‘Jiwoo, I- I have to find her! What if someone bothered her? You know she can’t verbally defend herself well?! What if she had an anxiety attack or got lost somewhere, or-’

 

‘KIM JUNGEUN! GET YOUR TOGETHER!’ Startled at her usually cheery friend’s outburst, she snaps out of her rambling momentarily. ‘I know you guys are close and you must be worried sick, but seriously, I’m sure she’s fine and just fell asleep somewhere while reading up about fish.’ Nodding slowly, Jungeun manages to get a grip on herself somewhat. ‘Yeh… She’ll probably message soon… She’s just… napping.’ agrees with Jiwoo, but her heart does not. Her anxiety levels are through the roof, not knowing where her girlfriend is and whether she’s safe or not.

 

Jiwoo manages to walk her home, settling her in her room until Jungeun tells her she can go home. ‘It’s okay. I’ll just study some more until she replies…’ Nodding, Jiwoo gets up to leave. ‘I’ll let you know when Sooyoung’s back at her dorm too, okay?’ With a nod of confirmation, Jiwoo makes her way out of Jungeun’s house. She hopes Jungeun and Jinsol will be okay and that her girlfriend comes back from that party early for once.

 

Sitting at her desk, Jungeun opens her laptop, googling news about Jinsol’s university, trying to find out if there’s a lecture or event she might have forgotten about because of how busy she’s been lately. Not able to find anything, her heart sinks again. It’s been another hour and usually Jinsol would be back at her apartment by now. Boris sits at her feet, sticking close since she got home, sensing her distress. Hoping Jinsol simply forgot to charge her phone, Jungeun rushes out to the apartment. Boris tries to chase her but she pats him on the head, promising she’ll be back soon before locking the door behind her. Her trusty guidance dog sits at the front door anxiously, barking and whining for his owner.

 

Arriving at the apartment, she breathes heavily as she’s not used to all this exercise anymore. Her head has been pounding, eyes stinging from the crying and worry. ‘Jinsol, please be home.’ Running up the stairs leading up to the entrance, Jungeun nearly tumbles as her vision darkens momentarily. Steadying herself against the wall, she blinks, reaching out for Jinsol’s doorbell. She rings again. And again. And again.

 

After the 10th time, she gives up, pulling out her phone yet again. Her messages are still unread, Jinsol’s phone unreachable. Crying out in frustration, she pulls up the train schedule. There have been no delays or accidents on Jinsol’s usual route.

 

Determined, she makes her way to the station. She will find her Jinsol.


 

***

 

A soft breeze tickles Jinsol’s face. Grunting, she yawns and stretches her long limbs. Her hands run through her messy hair and rub the sleep out of her eyes. After taking a moment to gather her senses, she stands up from the desk chair she’d fallen asleep in. ‘Jungeun!’ Finding it’s already dark outside, she quickly tries to find her phone, stressing out more and more by the second. ‘!’ Finding her phone has died, she rushes to the charger plugged into Sooyoung’s wall, plugging her phone into it quickly. As she waits for her phone to restart, she quickly gathers her things so she can leave as quickly as possible to catch the next train home.

 

The door suddenly opens, smacking against the wall, a disheveled Sooyoung appearing in front of her. ‘JINSOL OMG THANK GOD YOU’RE HERE!’ Startled, Jinsol turns to her friend. ‘Soo?’

 

Catching her breath for a moment after running across campus, Sooyoung holds up a finger to her friend. She had been at a party with classmates when one of her friends from a different department came rushing in to get her after Jiwoo called her.

 

‘Jinsol, it’s Jungeun. She had a bad attack…’ Jinsol shakes. ‘What?’ Her phone starts buzzing frantically as it’s restarted itself. Dozens of messages and missed calls from Jungeun, Jiwoo and Jungeun’s mother light up the screen.

‘She’s at the university hospital… She came here looking for you. The stress got to her and someone found her passed out in front of the dorms…’ Jinsol’s cheeks are already streaked with tears at this point, Sooyoung reaching out to catch her friend as she falls to the ground sobbing. A million thoughts are running through Jinsol’s mind but one stands out more than any of the others.


This is all my fault.’