Nights are the darkest before the dawn

Bright nights and dark days

A chilly and dark night hovers above everyone sleeping soundly in Jinsol's apartment block. Yet Jinsol finds herself on the edge of her rooftop again, staring up at the sky, letting her heart bleed into the wind, carrying her away. This was a common occurrence in her short yet pain-filled life. Jinsol has always been alone, as far as she can remember...

Her parents abandoned her at an orphanage when she was only 4 months old. She never blamed them, she knew she was a handful. Honestly, she was glad they left her, that way she never had to deal with hurting them. She has a track record of hurting people in any way possible. Madame Kim, the caretaker back at the orphanage, saw it too. Jinsol was a very kindhearted and warm child. Her big, cute doe eyes helped her get her way, always. But nobody could ever get close to her. Anyone that tried, ended up hurt.

There was little Yerin, she was only a year younger than Jinsol but came into the orphanage at a later age. They were 5 and 6 years old, and Madame Kim had made the mistake of for the first time since she had arrived, giving Jinsol a roommate. Jinsol slept in a separate room as soon as she was 1 year old. The orphanage had the space to spare and since Jinsol was such a calm and quiet child, they never had a problem. The first night of Jinsol having a roommate, Yerin ended up running out the room in the middle of the night, crying. When asked what happened, she simply said, 'Jinsol says mommy and daddy are never coming back for me!', after which Madame Kim talked to Jinsol about this. Jinsol simply stated it was the truth, it shouldn't upset her and Yerin should just learn to face the facts. Madame Kim was shocked at how adult little Jinsol sounded. Jinsol didn't seem in the least bit phased with Yerin's cries. The kind-hearted, warm Jinsol always smiled and nodded kindly. She appeared at first glance to be the perfect child, always obedient and helpful, but darkness hid deep within Jinsol's dark eyes. Madame Kim made it clear that nobody bothers Jinsol and she would keep her room alone. Yerin forgave Jinsol shortly after and became somewhat of a friend to her. They never talked much, it was usually Jinsol just nodding and smiling at whatever Yerin had to say. A few years later at age 10, Yerin was adopted by a lovely couple that lived in the countryside with their golden retriever. Jinsol remained her lonely self and didn't interact with anyone anymore after that. She was helpful and kind and grew up beautifully. 

As she reached puberty, Madame Kim realized nobody would be likely to adopt her dear Jinsol. Having taken care of her all her life, she saw her as her own daughter in many ways. She had a deeper connection with Jinsol than with any of the other orphans she cared for. Jinsol couldn't connect with anyone. And giving off bad vibes, she was never picked. As she grew, so did her beauty and the darkness inside her. Madame Kim watched as even Jinsol's kindness faded. She never smiled anymore, didn't speak unless asked and spent most of her time staring out her bedroom window up at the sky. As Madame Kim would do her nightly rounds, she always found Jinsol awake, sitting on her windowsill, staring at the dark skies above. One couldn't help but wonder if she ever slept at all. Madame Kim sent her to school on her own costs, Jinsol was an exceptionally bright student. She always aced her tests and was envied by many fellow students. Though most just craved to be her friend. She was appropriately named 'Jinsol, the ice queen', as she seemed to lack emotion in everything she said and did. She performed exceptionally well in every field, except for the emotional and social one. She had no friends, she didn't need classmates to help her with homework, and she herself would never offer to help anyone. The teachers soon decided it would be best to let her do all school projects alone, as she would end up doing all the work in a group project anyway. Many admired her and wanted to figure her out. Girls and boys alike were mesmerized by her beauty and bright mind. But nobody could ever approach her, though they tried. She was confessed to multiple times and every time she simply walked away, expressionless. She was a mystery nobody could figure out. 

After high school, Madame Kim told her she could go to university if she wanted to, she would cover the expenses. The only condition was that Jinsol would live on her own for 1 year and get a hobby and job, to learn to socialize. She would then be able to enter university, being the same age as everyone else. Jinsol's smarts had led her to skip a year of high school, which caused her to be regarded as a freak afterwards. Needless to say, Jinsol didn't seem to care. She agreed to Madame Kim's conditions immediately, as she always did. 

So this is how Jinsol finds herself back where she was used to being. Alone, in the dark. Her now long blonde hair, swaying in the wind softly, her pale skin glowing under the soft light of the crescent moon. It was close to 5 am, Jinsol would have to get ready for work in an hour. She didn't need much sleep. She usually napped during her break at work. She's been working at the book cafe for 2 months now, having moved into her apartment 3 months ago. Madame Kim found her a neat little studio apartment to stay at and told Jinsol about the book cafe. An old friend of Madame Kim's owns it and needed someone with knowledge for books, steady hands for the coffee making and a pleasant appearance to attract customers. Jinsol fit that description perfectly. Her beauty alone had people intrigued. They came in for Jinsol and stayed for the coffee and a good book. Jinsol never interacted with anyone. Her boss took the orders, which she prepared and handed to the customers. She would write book recommendations down on the chalkboard by the entrance every morning in her beautiful handwriting and the rest of the time would stand behind the counter, cleaning or reading a book, as she is not so subtly being admired by the customers.

Jinsol sighs, a puff of smoke blowing out of into the cold morning air. As the sun starts to rise, so does she. She enters her apartment to prepare herself for yet another dark meaningless day. Or so she expected it would be...