Stay

Dreams of us

'What time will you be home?' Wendy paced around the apartment, talking on the phone.

'I'm doing overtime today. Don't wait for me' Just like this, Irene hanged up.

Irene was cheating on her. And Wendy knows that. And Wendy also know that there was a part of Irene that still loved her, that's why she still stayed. Because, maybe one day, Irene would come back to her. One day, Irene might love her again, just like she used to.

In the end, Irene always came back to her. So Wendy pretended not to know. She pretended to not notice the lipstick stain on the collar of Irene's dress shirts. She pretended that she didn't smell another woman's perfume on Irene. She pretended she didn't see those hickeys hidden underneath Irene's clothes.

Because if she pretended, Irene would still stay right? 

Wendy once shared a dream with Irene. To get married to each other. They were young then, stupidly in love to believe it would come true. Now, Wendy knows that the dream was just a dream. 

Irene once loved Wendy as much as Wendy loved Irene. Irene took care of the smallest things and that made Wendy's heart flutter. Irene would also remember all their anniversaries and arranged their very own special date. Now Wendy could only wonder where that Irene went. The Irene that loved her. 

The day after, would be their sixth anniversary. And Wendy hoped that Irene would remember. Or at least pretend to remember.

Wendy knew that a date would be quite impossible since Irene had work the day after. Besides, they haven't went on one since Irene started her affair. 

Irene left early so Wendy couldn't remind Irene about it herself. She started preparing a fancy dinner for the both of them to celebrate the occassion. But Irene wasn't back yet... Irene would usually be back by eight and it was nine and a half now. Wendy was getting worried so she decided to call Irene.

'Hyun-ah, where are you?' Wendy asked

'Miss Bae is currently occupied now, I will let her know you called. Miss?' A woman's voice answered.

'Son. Miss Son. Thanks for letting me know' Wendy put down her phone bitterly. Irene never lets someone else touch her phone, even Wendy. Irene must have really liked that woman to let her use it.

Wendy ate the cold dinner alone. Thoughts invaded her mind. If she dressed up more, would Irene have still cheated? What did she lack? Should she leave? Since Irene obviously didn't want her anymore.

Maybe it was time for her to let go. She started keeping Irene's portion in the fridge before she went to their shared room.

She took out her luggage and started packing all her clothes and personal items in it. She then dragged her luggage by the door before she sat on the couch, waiting for Irene.

Irene arrived two hours later. At eleven-thirty.

'You must really like her huh?' Wendy broke the silence just as Irene entered the apartment.

'What are you talking about Wan?' Irene frowned as she started walking towards Wendy.

'I'm leaving, Irene.' Wendy never called her Irene after they started dating. Wendy always used endearments like 'Hyun' or 'Joohyun'. So when she used 'Irene', it meant she was serious.

'What?' Irene's frown deepened as she saw a luggage by the door.

'I'm really tired.... Do you even know what day it is today?' Wendy smiled. That smile was anything but happy. It was melancholic. She continued.

'I thought you would stop just for today you know?' 

'It's our anniversary today. Were you that occupied with her that you forgot?' Irene's eyes widened at that. 

'I-I... I'm not-' Irene stuttered trying to make an excuse.

'Stop it Irene. We both know your heart isn't with me anymore.' Wendy softly said, looking right into Irene's eyes. 

'Be happy with her ok?' She forced out a smile before walking towards the door, grabbing her luggage. She gripped the door knob tightly, her heart still unwilling to leave this place. Where she made memories with the Irene that loved her. The Irene who wanted Wendy as much.

Do something Irene. Why are you giving up on this relationship like that?

Seeing as Irene was frozen, she turned the door knob to leave.

'I still want you. Stay with me, please.' Irene croaked out. 

'Why are you only doing this when I want to leave?' Wendy hoarsely asked, holding back her tears.

'Please stay' Irene's voice cracked. Wendy could tell that Irene was crying without looking back. Something dark in Wendy felt satisfied that moment. She hurt Irene for the first time when she was always the one getting hurt.

'Ok.'

And the cycle repeats.

 

A/N: So this is about a toxic relationship. If you noticed, Irene didn't say she love Wendy when she wanted her to stay. So it implies that they both know that Irene doesn't love her anymore. 

I feel like it might have turned out to be darker than I originally planned.