Same but different

Dreams of us

It wasn't the same. This Seungwan wasn't the same as her Seungwan.

Son Seungwan died just last year. A truck hit her and she died on impact. But Seungwan wasn't the only one who died that night, a part of Bae Joohyun died that night too.

She mourned everyday after that. Her life had never been emptier and the empty spot on her bed reminded her of Seungwan's absence.

A friend introduced her to a service. Rebirth. That company was able to send an exact replica of the person in mind and the buyer just had to upload every single memory of her and that person. So the robot was able to act as a replacement, like the person never left.

It wouldn't hurt to try right? 

Joohyun was nervous the first day Seungwan came. Joohyun was about to meet Seungwan again. Maybe it would be like Seungwan never left. Maybe life would be normal again.

She sobbed the moment she saw Seungwan. Joohyun missed that familiar face so much every single day. There wasn't a day where Joohyun wouldn't look at their pictures on her phone for hours. Joohyun hugged Seungwan tightly as she sobbed. 

But it was different. This Seungwan didn't have the warmth like her Seungwan had. This Seungwan was just.... not Seungwan.

Joohyun knew that she was lying to herself. But she slowly grew reliant on this Seungwan. This Seungwan provided Joohyun with her presence. She would reenact their daily routines based on the memories uploaded in her system. And Joohyun could almost believe in her own lie.

A lie can't go on forever. That came in the form of Seungwan not responding. Seungwan just stopped working one day. Joohyun was a mess that day. She couldn't stop pacing around the house as Seungwan was sent back to the manufacturer. Joohyun felt like she was losing Seungwan for the second time.

Seungwan couldn't be fixed anymore, she was beyond repair. Something about her system failing, the manufacturers said. Joohyun stopped listening after a while. Was it time for her to accept the fact that Seungwan was gone?

She pondered over that question for the remaining day before the manufacturers sent a inactive Seungwan back. She cleaned Seungwan with a cloth, dressing her up in pajams. She then situated Seungwan on the usual spot, beside her on the bed.

She stared at Seungwan the entire night that day. Trying to remember every detail of Seungwan's face, she couldn't help but notice the slight differences. Her Seungwan always smiled no matter what. Her Seungwan had a higher nose bridge.

'Goodnight, Seungwan.' She uttered towards the inactive robot as she turned away from the robot.

Joohyun woke up to a brand new morning, she turned towards Seungwan and pecked the cold skin.

'Morning, Seungwan' The figure beside her remains unmoving as Joohyun continued with her day.

 

 

A/N: This idea came from Black Mirror if you guys couldn't tell. It's darker than usual updates if ya'll noticed. I've been meaning to write this for quite some time now but I just couldn't start.

The ending here is quite vague but it is obvious that Joohyun still doesn't want to accept Seungwan's death here.