Chapter 9

The Hunter and The Informant

It was one of those random days where they closed the coffee shop for the day, with Moonbin taking everyone to Grunewald forest for a day to spend in their animal forms. Naturally the wolves would stick together and the foxes would be on their own but it was fine with everyone when Chanwoo wanted to have Moonbin and Donghan with him today on this run.

They took the train out to the station by the entrance of the forest and spread out after the groups were made. "Be back before sunset, keep your clothes with you, and have fun," said Moonbin. "One day we'll have the rest of the wolves here but for now, it's just you three okay?" He asked, turning to Jinhwan, Donghyuk and Kenta. When they nod Moonbin nodded. "Let's have fun today, spread out and go," said Moonbin. Everyone soon ran into the forest, leaving Moonbin, Chanwoo and Donghan alone.

"Well, let's have a fun day then," said Moonbin as he walked forward with Donghan and Chanwoo. Once they were deep enough into the forest Donghan was the first to strip and change, putting the clothes somewhere hidden before coming into view. "Nice pattern," said Chanwoo as he walked over and pet Donghan on the head. Moonbin hummed, nodding in agreement. Donghan snorts, nodding for them to go and change. Moonbin and Chanwoo went to strip and change before coming out in their fox and wolf forms respectively. Donghan looked them both up and down before nodding for Chanwoo to take the lead.

Chanwoo let out a howl, which was soon answered by the others and he soon ran off, having no real destination in mind. Donghan and Moonbin followed after him, and Moonbin was grateful that Chanwoo was going slow for him at least. Donghan stayed at the same pace, knowing that Moonbin was slightly slower than them.

It was quiet for most of the run, the three of them going in comfortable silence. They met up with the rest of Moonbin's pack first, their fox forms suddenly appearing in front of them. Moonbin yipped, turning to Chanwoo. Chanwoo nodded, wagging his tail. Moonbin nodded in return and went to join his pack in the run. Donghan watched them go with his head lowered in respect before following after Chanwoo who took off, going at full speed now.

Donghan tackled Chanwoo, play wrestling with him. Chanwoo tumbled over, landing on his back and looking up at a grinning Donghan as he moved away. Chanwoo got to his feet, his tail wagging as Donghan took off, wanting to play tag. Chanwoo gave a playful growl as he rushed after Donghan. Their game of tag lasted for a good bit, with the other wolves soon joining them.

It took Jinhwan and Donghyuk a little bit of time to figure out that they were playing tag, the chase similar to what they had both gone through as werewolf hunters. A nudge from Kenta, who's dark sandy colored wolf had caught onto the discomfort, had them joining the fun. Jinhwan's scars were more pronounced in his wolf form, as was Donghyuk's.

Chanwoo tagged Jinhwan who quickly went after Kenta. Kenta jumped away from the oncoming wolf and sped off, with Jinhwan chasing after him. The others scattered, and Jinhwan soon went for the others when he couldn't catch Kenta. Jinhwan had to constantly remind himself that this wasn't a hunt, it was just a game of tag as he finally tackled Donghan. They both tumbled around on the ground before Jinhwan landed a few feet away, panting. Donghan stood, shaking out his fur.

Chanwoo and the others ran over, confusion washing over them. Jinhwan got to his feet, shaking out his fur. Kenta went straight to Donghan who tilted his head at Jinhwan. Moonbin and the others soon appeared, having heard the commotion and went to see what was going on.

A gunshot rang through the forest and everyone scattered. Chanwoo went to his brother and pushed him to go, they needed to leave now. Moonbin nodded to Chanwoo before he ran off with the rest of his pack. Chanwoo turned to the other wolves before he ran, heading back for his clothes. Donghan ran after him and Donghyuk pushed Jinhwan to go, with Kenta running after them.

Everyone met at the train station after getting dressed, with Donghan confronting Jinhwan. "Care to tell me what that was all about?" Asked Donghan. "I tried to remind myself that it was just a game of tag," said Jinhwan as he looked down. "You guys used to be werewolf hunters," said Donghan. "You might of heard of our pack name," said Jinhwan. "iKon was it?" Asked Donghan. Jinhwan nodded.

Donghan sighed. "Well, the past is in the past I suppose," he said, scratching the back of his head. "I'm sorry," said Jinhwan. "It's alright," said Donghan. "You didn't even leave a scratch on me," he said. "I think you held back," he said. "I tried to," said Jinhwan.

The train home wasn't much to write home about. It was quiet and filled with a sort of awkwardness. Jinhwan hadn't come this close to killing another werewolf in a long time.

"I think we'll be leaving tomorrow," said Donghan as they got to the house. "Okay," said Moonbin. Chanwoo had no choice but to agree. Moonbin was the alpha of both packs, even if Jinhwan was the alpha of the werewolf side they still answered to Moonbin because of it. "I'll come around again," said Donghan as he noticed Chanwoo's sad look. "But it's a good thing I just brought Kenta along, if it had been anyone else well," he said, scratching the back of his head.

"We'll keep the video calls up," said Donghan. "Sure," said Chanwoo as he left the livingroom and went to his room. "He doesn't blame you Jinhwan," said Moonbin as he noticed Jinhwan's sadness. "I'll talk to him alright, everyone go and make your own dinner tonight," he said. With that everyone left to make their own food.

Moonbin entered his shared room with food, spotting Chanwoo sitting defeated in the computer chair. "Are you okay?" He asked as he handed Chanwoo a plate of food before sitting on the floor to eat. "I guess," said Chanwoo. "I was torn you know," he said. "Between being on Jinhwan's side if he did hurt Donghan and being on Donghan's side because he's my mate," he said.

"I always had the mantra of pack before everything else," Moonbin said, sighing. "Exactly," mumbled Chanwoo as he ate his food. "But Jinhwan's family, so it's him before everyone else," he said. "I felt so god damn torn," he said. "You three need a break," said Moonbin. "Hopefully something good comes out of this break," he said. "I hope," mumbled Chanwoo.