Smile, ChaeEun

Spy Nerd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KMMK1e86xs

Sitting on the wooden bench that was located underneath a big tree, you were quietly sobbing to yourself in the park that was quite a near distance from your school. After being picked on and embarrassed by your stepsister on the first day of your middle school life, you couldn’t take it anymore and was crying your heart out alone when you suddenly saw a piece of handkerchief being held in front of your face.

“Here, use this to wipe your tears.” A male voice gently spoke out.

Raising your head and turning towards the direction of the voice, your gaze landed on a handsome face that was smiling kindly at you. He looked to be around your age, had big round eyes, a high nose and a pretty smile.

“Don’t worry, the handkerchief is clean.” He urged you to take it again as he saw you hesitating a little.

“Th..Thank you.” you said through sobbing tears as you accepted the handkerchief from him.

“Are you okay?? Why are you crying alone here???” he asked with a concerned gaze.

“It’s nothing really.” You turned your head away from him as tears started to well up in your eyes again as you thought of the insults your stepsis and stepmum always throw at you.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to bring it up and make you feel worse again. Aishh, why are you so stupid.” He blamed himself and started hitting himself on the head with his fist.

“No, no… don’t do that. It’s not your fault. It’s cause I was humiliated by my stepsis in school this morning that I was crying. So stop hitting yourself, you’ll get hurt.”

“Oh. Stepsister?? What happened??”

Ever since your mother passed away, nobody had ever been that genuinely concerned for you so you broke down and told him everything that happened and also about your life.

“I’m so sorry you have to go through such a tough time. I wish I could make everything better for you but I’m just a kid too and I can’t stand up against your stepmother.” He sighed and looked at you apologetically.

“Don’t say that, you’ve been a great help today. Thanks for being such a great listener.” You shot him a forced smile as you tried to hold back your tears.

“I know!! Why didn’t I think about it before.” He clicked his fingers in excitement as he suddenly thought of something. “I can’t help make your life better but I can at least make you feel better now. Wait here for a sec. I’ll be right back.” Before you could say a word, he shot up from where he was sitting and rode away on his bicycle.

After waiting for 10 minutes, he came back panting but with a happy smile on his face as he held in his hand a plastic bag.

“Look what I bought you!!” he waved the plastic bag excitedly and took out 2 chu chu bar from the plastic bag.

“Chu chu bar??” you asked in surprise.

“Not just any normal chu chu bar but a chu chu bar filled with a mother’s love.” He shook his head and explained with a pleased look on his face.

“Filled with a mother’s love??” you asked again as you couldn’t understand what he was indicating.

He nodded his head as he opened the wrapper of the chu chu bar and passed it to you. “When I was little, my mum used to comfort me by giving me a chu chu bar whenever I would cry. So everytime I feel sad, I’ll grab a chu chu bar so it feels like my mum is beside me comforting me. Since your mum can’t be here to comfort you anymore, I’ll lend you my mum through this chu chu bar. Eat it, you’ll feel better. I promise.” He shot you another sincere smile that made your heart feel warm as he too unwrapped his chu chu bar and started on it.

“Thank you so much.” You said as you started to cry again.

“Heyhey, don’t cry. Now that mum is here to comfort you, you should smile, not cry. Come on, give me a bright a smile.” He encouraged you as he wiped away your tears with his fingers.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to cry again. It’s just that no one as been so nice to me since my mother left.” You said through sobs.

“Don’t worry. From today onwards, I’ll be nice to you. My mum always said that a gentleman should always help those in need. I want to be a gentleman for my mum so I’ll always be here for you when you need me.”

“Rea..really??”

“I promise but you have to promise me you’ll try to smile more. Deal??” He held out his pinkie at you as a sign of promise.

“Okay, I promise too.” You agreed as you held out your pinkie too with a genuine smile on your face this time.

“Uhoh, the chu chu bar is melting. Let’s hurry up and finish it. By the way, what’s your name??” he asked as he got up from the bench and started walking towards his bicycle.

“I’m ChaeEun. What about you??” you asked back.

“I’m ChunJi. You study at Suji High too right??”

“Yeap. I’m a freshman.”

“Me too!!! We’ll get separated into our classes tomorrow. I hope I’m in the same class with you. Then we’ll get to be bffs.” He giggled as he purposely said bff in a girly manner.

“I don’t think I want a gay bff though.” You stifled a laugh as you back.

“Alright then, I’ll be a manly bff then. Let’s get you home my lady.” He said in a fake, deep voice.

“It was fun today. Thank you so much ChunJi!! I’ll see you tomorrow.” You waved goodbye at him before skipping into your house happily.

“Remember to smile!!!! I’ll see you tomorrow!!” ChunJi shouted back as he got onto his bicycle and started pedaling home.

“~Ringtone~” your phone started ringing, bringing you back to reality as you snapped out from your daydream.

“Briefing room in 10 minutes. New mission.” YunHo said through the phone.

“Got it.” You replied as you ended the call and got up from the sofa.

“I wonder what went wrong with our friendship?? I wonder why he changed so much all of a sudden?? Sigh… Guess I’ll never find out.” You heaved a sigh as you headed into the bedroom to get ready for another mission.