Smile, ChunJi

Spy Nerd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7AHCYJ4NIo

Hair tied back in braids, dressed in a blue plaid shirt and jeans, you were cuddling Sleepy in your hands as you headed towards a pet shop in Gangnam to meet up with ChunJi as he had texted you yesterday and informed you where Sleepy’s collar could be made. As the lavish pet store came into sight, you saw a tall and slim figure dressed in also an almost similar blue plaid shirt and jeans, waiting patiently for someone in front of the pet store.

“Hey ChunJi, sorry I’m a little late. Did you wait long??” you walked up towards the waiting figure and apologized.

“It’s ok, I just got here not too long ago.” He shook his head to reassure you, then opened the door to the pet shop and gestured you to enter the shop first before following you from behind.

The moment you entered the pet shop, you saw a section where there were lots of pretty young girls reading magazines and drinking coffee while waiting for their dogs as they got their baths or their nails trimmed; and as your eyes turned to another area,  you saw some dogs getting their “manicure” and “pedicure” while some were being fed in fancy looking bowls. As ChunJi and you walked towards the section where the dog collars were displayed, you heard a few girls whispering to each other in an audible voice.

“OMG, do you think those two are dating??”

“I think so. I mean they are wearing couple shirts after all.”

“It’s like beauty and the beast except that this is the other way round. I wonder what he sees in that nerd.” Some girl snickered as she eyed you from head to toe.

Feeling embarrassed and not knowing what to do, you looked at ChunJi and was going to apologize for wearing a shirt that was almost similar to his on accident when suddenly, without warning, he held your hand and dragged you towards the back of the shop where the dog collars were sold.

“Close your ears and everything will be alright.” He looked at you and gave you a tight smile, squeezing your hand encouragingly before releasing it. “Why don’t you pick out a pretty collar for Sleepy and I’ll pay for it.” He nodded towards the variety of dog collars that was on display in a glass rack.

Being the usual you, instead of looking at the pattern, you were looking for the collar with the cheapest price.

“Let’s take this. It looks simple and nice.” You pointed towards the ordinary blue collar that had a round tag.

“That's too ugly.” ChunJi said in his usual straightforward manner and started looking around at the collars that were on display when his gaze fell on a beautiful, diamond studded, leather collar that had a heart shaped diamond tag.

“Excuse me, we’ll take this collar. Please put the name Sleepy on the tag.” ChunJi informed the girl that was at the counter.

“Wa…wait. That’ll cost a fortune. It’s just a school project, you don’t have to do this.” You tried to stop him as you didn’t want him to waste money on unnecessary stuff.

“It is a school project and also marks for my class. I take everything I do seriously.”

“But… at least let me pay half of it.”

“Do you think you can afford to pay the half??” he looked at you expressionless as he raised one eyebrow.

“Er.... if I go on more difficult and dangerous missions, sell those fancy clothes in my wardrobe that I don’t wear…” you mumbled to yourself as you started calculating in your head.

“Hey, relax. My mum used to tell me that I need to be generous and act like a gentleman so I’ll definitely be paying for it. Besides, you are doing your part in taking care of Sleepy.” Just as he finished saying that, the sales clerk returned with the collar that now had Sleepy’s name engraved on it, leaving you with no choice but to accept that expensive collar.

As the both of you were walking out of the shop after paying for the collar, you had to walk pass the area where those girls who gossiped about you and ChunJi earlier on sat. Feeling embarrassed about yourself, you quicken your pace as you tried to exit the shop without them seeing you when ChunJi grabbed your hand and pulled you back.

“Hey ladies, try looking into the mirror first next time before calling someone else a beast. By the way, this beast that you were referring to, she has a more beautiful heart than any of you can ever have. So even if I were single, I would definitely pick someone like her rather than girls who sit around gossiping all the time.” ChunJi gave them his usual cold stare as he gave them a short lecture with his icy and intimidating voice before walking out of the store with you.

“Oh gosh, you didn’t have to do that. That’s going to ruin your reputation and people might really misunderstand our relationship.”

“It doesn’t matter what other people think right. As long as we know the truth, that’s all that matters.”

“Hehehehe yea... as long as we don't misunderstand.” You gave an awkward laugh because you still had that crush on ChunJi so you tried to change the subject the avoid any awkward situation.

“Oh my gosh, did you see the expressions on their face though?? That was priceless. Thank you for standing up for me.” You gave him the brightest smile that your face could fake at the moment.

"No worries, they deserved it for being so...” ChunJi was speaking halfway when he was suddenly interrupted by a female who was overdressed, had too much makeup and was carrying a poodle in her hands.

“Look who we have here. My good for nothing step son who waste my husband’s money for his useless activities. Is this your new girl?? Gosh you have really bad taste in woman, just like your dad’s taste in your mum.” The annoying high pitched voice shrieked through the air as she kept on insulting ChunJi.

“Shut the f… up, you two faced !! Don’t you dare talk about my mother in that way.” ChunJi glared at her with hatred in his eyes as he tried his best to hold himself back, afraid that he might just explode and hurt the woman that he hated so much at that moment.

“Look how rude you are. Using profanities at your own step mum when I “care” so much about you. Anyway, Tinkerbell is late for her manicure. I’ll see you around my dear son.” Giving him a sly grin, she flipped her hair and proudly strut into the pet shop in satisfaction.

“Are you alright?” you asked ChunJi in concern as you see him gritting his teeth and clenching his fist in total anger and burning hatred.

“Come on, I’ll walk you to the subway station.” Ignoring your question, he started walking towards the subway station with heavy footsteps. Respecting his desire to avoid talking at the moment, you quietly followed him from behind when the both of you walked past a convenient store and a brilliant idea came into your head. Asking ChunJi to wait for you for a little while, you quickly dashed into the convenient store and bought 2 chu chu bars.

“Have a chu chu bar. It will cheer you up.” You held out a chu chu bar at ChunJi as you gave him a warm and genuine smile.

Giving you a surprised look, he accepted the chu chu bar that you offered. “How did you know..??”

“A really nice guy that I knew once told me that when he found me crying in the park.”

“Wait, now I remember. You were the girl that I found crying in the park during our first year in middle school. I can’t believe you still remember what I did and said.”

“Of course I remember. It meant a lot to me that you comforted me at such a dark time of my life. Eventhough it was just for a short moment, you made me realize that the world is not that hopeless after all. Oh gosh, look at the time. I really need to get going.” You suddenly realized that you were going to be late for your training as you took a look at your watch. “Thank you for everything today and I hope you'll be able to smile again after eating the chu chu bar. I really missed the smiling ChunJi from 5 years ago. Anyway, I'll see you around.” you gave him a quick wave before disappearing into the subway station.

As your running figure quickly disappeared out of sight, ChunJi stared at the Chu chu bar that he was holding in his hands and for once after so many years, he felt a slight warmth in his heart as the corner of his lips unconsciously curled up slightly.

"Thank you for this, Park Chae Eun." For once in so many years, there was a genuine smile on ChunJI's face.