Chapter 1.

The Velvet Masters

AN: It's me guys!! Since I'm still at the beginning I thought it would be nice to ignore my publishing hours and just give to you the first chapter ahah.

I hope you enjoy it, I certainly enjoyed writing it.


The Velvet Masters

Chapter 1.


The Time Kingdom


Joohyun sighed as she stared at the window. Her palm rested gently on her cheek while her elbow helped holding her head. She knew the day had come but she had been dreading it like she dreaded the parades during Time Day. She was already 28 and passed the engagement age, she was supposed to be married three years ago but she was able to avoid it until now. Her father was extremely against it, honestly he was the feminist of the family. Her mother thought that maybe getting married could set her straight and help her rull the Time Kingdom. The alliance between the Time and the Soul kingdoms has thousands of years and a marriage or not marriage wouldn't make a difference. At least that's what she thought. She knew she could rull by herself, that she needed no one.

While stuck in her thoughts, Joohyun didn't hear the door knocking and was startled when she saw her maid Yebin with a large package under her arm.

"Goddess, Yebin, you should knock." She said, out of breath.

"I did, three times milady. Is this a bad time miss?" Yebin was a middle aged woman who honestly had raised Joohyun more than her own mother. She held a sympathetic smile and tried to be comforting.

"No. I was just thinking, don't worry." She forced a smile.

"I brought the wedding dress your mother chose so that you can try it on and see if you like it." 

"Even if I won't, I'll have to wear it anyways, won't I?" She forced a laugh and Yebin tried to suppress her pity and brushed it off.

"It's a light pink. She knows you look best in it. And it's not too puffy, so at least you'll be able to move." She joked.

"Do you think this is fair? I barely know the Soul Prince." 

"Well, he is known to be very intelligent and handsome, if it helps. I also know that he is your age so you won't have to speak formally to him and you may cuss at him whenever and however you may like if he bothers you." Yebin giggled while trying to figure out how the package opens.

Joohyun chuckled. "Thanks Yebin, only you can make me smile right now."

"It's my pleasure to see that beautiful smile." She smiled but then the smile dropped. "I wish I had the power to stop all of this. This is not how you deserve to get married. You deserve to find love and happiness." Joohyun could see tears trying to break free in her eyes. "I'm so sorry."

"Please don't. It's not your fault."

"Your mother insisted that you tried the dress today." She tried to change the topic.

"Alright, let's see it then." The annoyance in her voice was remarkable.

Yebin unfolded the package after untying a very knotted knot. She laid the dress down on the bed. Honestly, if they hadn't known already that it was a wedding dress they could have never guessed. The plainness of the dress compared to other wedding dresses was noticeable but Joohyun didn't want to admit that it was actually very beautiful. With a heart shaped cleavege and lace all over. It was long and, as Yebin said, not too puffy. It was actually kinda perfect, she thought. Her mother had really nailed it once in her life. Such shame that she would have to wear it while getting married to a total stranger.

She stared at her dress, multiple feelings crossed her mind. 

"Let's try it on?" Yebin smiled.

Joohyun simply nodded, she was still lost for words.

It took her just a few seconds to take off the one she already had on and to put on her wedding dress with the help of Yebin. She looked herself in the mirror. It fitted her like a glove, even if she didn't want to admit it. It was just a little loose on the chest area. Joohyun rolled her eyes and cursed her small chest.

"I can fix that for you, don't worry."

Yebin helped her out of the dress an started examinating it, seaching for where to tighten it.

"Thanks Yebin. You truly are a saint."

"Everything for you child." She hugged Joohyun and caressed her back firmly, it was the best way to confort her.

All of a sudden there was a slight knock on the door and before they could answer it was already open.

"The Time Queen demands your presence during the welcoming of the Soul Royal Family." The door guard announced looking rather bored.

"This is it. I should just go kill myself before it's too late." Joohyun said while burying her face on the large pillow beside her.

"Have hope my dear, I'll be praying to the Goddess for you." Yebin said and patted the young princess head. She left the room saying nothing more. 

The guard waited a few seconds before clearing his throat. This awoke Joohyun from her desperation and made her look straight at him.

"Shall we?" He gestured with his arm for her to leave the room with a tight smile.

Joohyun sighed once more and nodded her head. "We shall."

The way from her room to the entrance felt to her as if it was infinite. She recalled how she would count the steps she would take while she was young. It made the life in the palace less dull and it helped her discover every single corner. She didn't have many friends growing up, just some kids from the court or even the maids' children. But the siblingless life was always boring to her. Most of the time she would be with the kitchen ladies, the ones who tought her how to cook and took her to the market each morning to buy fresh food with them. All of this without her mother knowing, of course. If it were up to her she wouldn't even let her leave the house and would have to study literature and maths, all day long. That's the price of having a mother from the Space Kingdom.

The corridor walls are all a light shade of pink or blue with marble columns every five meters. The staircase was wide and while looking at the exactly one hundred steps she recalled the inumerous times when she would fall down while running after Woobin, Yebin's son. She smiled at the thought and wondered where her friend might be.

As if he were listening to her thoughts, a figure with large shoulders came in front of Joohyun with a big plate of cupcakes. 

"Want some?" He asked, knowing his best friend would definitely want some.

"Are they-"

"Yes woman, they are red velvet. Goddess, you and your obsession."

She smiled and took one for herself. "If mother were here she would tell me that it goes straight to the hips." She rolled her eyes at the thought. 

"Speaking of which, you know the Kangs are arriving, right?"

"Don't reming me, my mother must be freaking out-"

"BAE JOOHYUN!" They hear the most irritating squeaky voice and know emidiatly who it is.

"Dear Goddess." The princess groans.

"Where have you been? I've been waiting for you for ages. What vests do you have on? There is no time to change, it will have to do." Queen Naeun scoffed. It wasn't that hideous, the vests were actually very pretty. They were purple with black polka dots. It was one of Joohyun's favorites. The Queen looked at Woobin. "What are you doing here? You should be helping the cooks preparing for the feast. Go on."

"Of course your Majesty." He answered sarcastically and started to go towards the kitchens.

"Wait." The Queen called while looking disgusted at the cupcake the princess was eating. "Take this with you." She ordered.

"But-"

The cupcake was gone before she could bat an eye.

"It's for your own good. Now come darling. They are almost here and we must be at our utmost best." Joohyun rolled her eyes following her mother to her father's study, where they would greet the guests. 

The study was rather large, bigger than an apartment and was passed down from king to king. There was a painting for every Time King that ever existed, that's how long the corridor was. Next to the main room door an hourglass stood tall. This specific hourglass is infinite, its sand never stops falling. Legends say that if it ever stops, it will mean that time itself stopped.

The door opened by itself once it recognized the Queen. The King was in his usual position: standing tall, with his back towards the door next to the fireplace and staring out the window. That's the position Joohyun would always remember her father in. When she would come and hug his legs and he would lift her up to show her the view that could be seen from his window. All five kingdoms and beyond. It's one of her favorite childhood memories. Her father.

"I heard your first calling Naeun." King Taemin said with an annoyed voice. He then turned around. "You know I don't approve of this. And I never shall."

Queen Naeun rolled her eyes. "Well, it's settled."

"Why are they coming here anyways? Shouldn't the wedding be at the groom's kingdom?" He questioned.

"I told you before. This is the first reunion. We must set things straight since Joohyun is your only heir." She crossed her arms.

Joohyun never understood her mother's obsession with having everything absolutely perfect. Her white lace dress was stunning but also way too much compared to what she and her father were wearing.

"I don't see the point."

"Husband, be patient. What we will discuss today is a very important matter. Since we cannot lose our independence we will agree to have just an alliance marriage and not an unifying marriage. Joohyun will still be the rightful heir to the Time Throne. The Time and Soul kingdom will not become one. This is merely to strengthen our bond. You know we need this, now more than ever." She looked straight at her husband with a worried face.

The King sighed. "You're right."

"What are you talking about? What is happening?" Joohyun just stared confused at both her parents.

Her mother faked a smile. "Nothing for you to worry about...For now."

All of a sudden, trumpets started playing all over the palace, the Queen straightened herself even more and smiled so widely that her daughter thought she could be stuck like that forever. Her father walked closer to them and the three stared anxiously at the door. Joohyun could almost hear her mother's heart beating and closed her eyes trying to maintain calm and not freak out because the person that was going to ruin her life had just arrived and was about to be in front of her.

The door guard entered to present what she most feared.

"Your Majesties, I present to you his Majesty, the King of Soul, his son Kang Minki and his daughter Kang Seulgi."

Here we go

 

 

AN: I hope you are liking this royalty vibe I'm giving the girls. Tomorrow at 5 p.m. GMT I'll post the next chapter and (spoiler alert) you'll be experiencing some JOYful moments. (see what I did there)

If you liked it please subscribe and tell your friends, it would mean the world!