Chapter 23

Let Just Be Happy

(Yuri POV)

“Come on, Sica-baby. Wake up. We will be late on our flight”, I kissed all over her face for her to wake up. The pictorial was done 5 days ago and the team were back already to San Francisco. We extended our stay for more quality time as per her claimed.

 

“Move it tomorrow”, she hugged my neck and placed her head on my chest.

 

“Baby, we cancelled twice already. I received another call from Krystal, she was scolding me to send you home now and help her with your grandparents. What would your parents say if we continued staying here? They might think I am keeping you away.” I said while I tried to remove her arms around my neck. She glared at me then reached for her phone by the side table then went back to my side.

 

“Hello, Grandma. I love you and Grandpa. But, we will not be home anytime soon. Yuri denied me for a year before we got together. We did not have decent honeymoon after our marriage. Then, we got busy with the company and my business. And, worst she left for a year. I just found her. I want to spend more time with her. Alone. We barely a week here and someone there bothering us here. I hope you understand our absence. I know you have not met her but I promise to visit you with her”, she sweetly said to her Grandma, but looking and glaring at me.

 

“Exactly, I have not met your Yuri and I want to meet her now”, I heard her Grandma demanded. I chuckled as I realized where she got her stubbornness.

 

“But, Grandma. I want to…”, she protested.

 

“How about I give you two weeks all-in expense vacation in Europe, open-schedule. Threat it as my gift to both of you, but you have to come home now.” My eye got wide for a very expensive gift but got excited nonetheless.

 

“Okay, you got a deal”, she simply replied while smiling widely and gave me a quick peck on cheeks.

 

“We will be home now. Thank you, Grandma. You are the best. I love you. Hmm. Bye.” She hopped of the bed then ended the call.

 

“Come on, Seobang. You start packing while I take a bath first. We will be late for our flight.” She excitedly went in the bathroom and I followed her inside.

 

“What are you doing, Seobang”, but she was smirking at me and we both helped each other on taking off our clothes.

 

“We better take the next flight, baby”, I murmured and she just hummed on me.

 

(Jessica POV)

 

 

 

“Hello, Grandma, Grandpa”, I kissed and hugged my grandparents as soon I saw them by the lanai.

 

“Please meet my Seobang, Kwon Yuri”, I said immediately after giving them my greetings.

 

“Seobang, meet my grandparents”, I took Yuri’s hand and pushed her to my grandparents.

 

“Good afternoon. I am Kwon Yuri, Jessica’s significant life partner”, she formally bowed and extended her hand for a handshake. My grandmother full her in for a kiss on her cheeks and hugged her after, while my grandfather did the same.

 

“How are you related to General Kwon Hyun-suk?” my grandfather asked while we settled ourselves on the table.

 

“He is my grandfather, Sir.” Yuri humbly answered.

 

“Call me Grandpa, Yuri. We are family and relax. Okay.” my grandfather authoritatively stated then smile. My grandfather was a sweet guy, sweeter than my grandmother.

 

“Yes, Grandpa. May I ask how did you know my Abeoji?” I held her hand then gave it a squeeze and I felt her relaxed. The conversation was halted as Mom and Dad came and joined with us. We exchanged greetings first and settled on the table.

 

“To answer your question earlier. Your Abeoji was a schoolmate back then and was the most popular guy. He meant justice to all. No doubt he became a general. I was a grandfather already when I met him again. We were introduced to each other in a wedding party of a common friend that we both attended but I doubt if he still remember me. You were 5 that time, Sooyeon, our whole family attended the wedding.” His eyes looked far away as he reminisced. Later, shifted his gaze to me, but went back to Yuri. I saw my parents were surprised with the disclosed information about Yuri.

 

“Ohh, I guessed my Abeoji was not lying after all. He kept bragging to me that he was popular back in his school days. He was a conceited old man.” Yuri shook her head and they both chuckled and laughed after.

 

“Your grandfather is General Kwon?” my mom asked in surprised.

 

“He is now ex-General Kwon, Mom.” my Seobang humbly answered while scratching her nape.

 

“Why we did not know about this?” my Umma was now looking at me with questioning eyes.

 

“You never asked, Mom.” I simply stated and chuckled at her while I looked at my father who remained silent with unreadable face. I averted my eyes when he looked at me.

 

“Hi, Unnie, Yuri Unnie”, Krystal came and happily greeted us. “Any souvenir for me from Uganda?”

 

“None. We were not able to go shopping. Grandmother immediately summoned us here.” I seriously answered her. “I’m sorry.”

 

“Sooyeon, you stayed long and extended for few more days there and you failed to bring us anything. I am cancelling my gift”, Grandmother childishly complained.

 

“What gift, Unnie?” Krystal curiously asked.

 

“2-weeks-all-in-expense-trip-to Europe.” I proudly told her and she went wide-eyed.

 

“How about me, Grandma?” She went to Grandma and sweetly caressed her arms.

 

“Get married and you will have 1 month from me.” Grandma stated and I laughed at my sister but pouted after.

 

“Why are you giving her 1 month, mine is 2 weeks only. That is not fair.” I complained.

 

“Provide me a souvenir from Uganda now, and you will have a month. Now.” Grandma challenged me. I smirked at her and turned my attention to my Seobang.

 

“Seobang, can you get the luggage with our souvenirs and gifts for them”, I heard Yuri chuckled with our childishness. I nodded to her, telling her with my eyes that they were serious.

 

“Prepare your credit card, Grandma. I don’t mind if it’s JP or Centurion.” I looked back to Grandma and smiled widely at her. Yuri kissed my cheeks and excuse herself then left to get the luggage.

 

“Why are you so excited? You have your own card. I will just reimburse it to you.” Grandma deadpanned ask.

 

“She cannot used her card, if she is with Yuri, Grandma.” Krystal casually answered on my behalf.

 

“She does not shop much anymore. I meant she shop less now since she got together with Yuri”, Krystal explained. I kept quiet and let her tell Grandma about my restricted shopping or particularly with my spending.

 

“That is intriguing”, my Grandpa looked at me curiously.

 

“Yes. She have restriction on her shopping now, what’s more her limited spending.” My mother added. I remembered she laughed in her heart’s content when she found out my limited spending. She would show off her shopping by leaving all the shopping bags scattered in our leaving room for all the world to see.

 

“Well, well, well. Yuri has good influence then. You have a very bad shopping addiction.” Grandpa simply concluded. Yuri came with our luggage and opened it. Grandma, Mom and Krystal got excited and as always, they sprawled on the floor to check the content. Thankfully, I had patiently named the souvenirs and gifts back in Uganda. I smiled looking at them. In moment like this that I appreciated more of our family. But then I looked at my father, who awfully kept quiet during the whole conversation. I suddenly felt sadness but dismissed the feeling immediately as I saw Yuri staring at me not from afar. I smiled and approached her, she kissed my forehead and caressed my hand with her thumb silently telling me that everything would be all right and I could only hope so.