Chapter 19

Let Just Be Happy

(Yuri POV)

Time flew fast as I was assisting Sica on accounting aspect of their business for half a year already. It took us a week to finish the report on problem accounts. The following weeks for executives and officers involved in the fund embezzlement to resign. There were no much discussions as proof were provided. As expected, I got suspected being a spy in my previous department as the Accounting Manager was involved. They conducted immediate general assembly to ease all the employees. Then, next thing I got aware of, it would be Valentine’s Day next week.

 

“Ms. Abigail, could you send me my schedule for the next two weeks. Thank you.” I said on the phone, talking to my secretary. Though, I did have my own monitoring, I still checked with her if ever amiss something.

 

“Thank you. I got the email. That was fast”, I commented and smiled when I saw her took a peek in my office.

 

“Yuri Unnie, where you will take Unnie next week”, Krystal entered without knocking that caused me startled.

 

“I honestly do not know. I am still checking my schedule and her schedule. I just got also Sica’s schedule from her secretary.” I said back.

 

“Yuri Unnie…” Krystal whined and I stopped on what I was doing and stared at her. I knew that kind of whine.

 

“What? Now you have my full pledge attention. Kwon Yuri at your service.” I sat properly and crossed my arms around my chest. She was standing up and fidgeting. ‘Hmmm, entertaining’, as I thought. I waited patiently for her to talk.

 

“How did you know that you love my Unnie? No offense meant, how you knew that you are gay, I meant lesbian?” she cautiously asked.

 

“None taken. Have not your sister told you about our story?” I asked her instead.

 

“She only said that it happened in a very slow pace as quoted by your friends in Korea. Being gay/lesbian just follow”, she looked confused.

 

“True. We thought we were straight and just enjoy each other’s company. I found your Unnie very beautiful at first sight and she liked me a lot for being around her. I think you knew already our story. What is bothering you, Krystal?” I frankly asked her and she was taken aback. I never like beating around the bush. She heaved a very long sigh.

 

“Amber is asking me out for the Valentines”, she said in one breath. ‘Ah, the legitimate tomboy’, I thought. The entrepreneur tomboy has been courting Krystal for quite a while already, and it was grandiose. Just the other day, not just a batch of different flowers but a massive butterflies were released on Krystal’s office. It took few hours to remove them all.

 

“And?” I patiently waited for her to continue but tik-tak-tok.

 

“Ahh, today is the due date for you to answer her on requested date”, I continued on her behalf.

 

“Do you like her, Krystal?” I carefully asked her. She looked more confused.

 

“I don’t know”, she simply answered.

 

“Let’s not go further, do you want to spend Valentines with her?” I directly questioned her.

 

“I don’t know”, she simply answered again.

 

“What is bothering you, Krystal? You will not come here just to say, ‘You don’t know’”, I pitied her as she looked more and more confused and embarrassed with my question.

 

“She is too impulsive, liberal and loud. Also, a big flirty and show-off.” She answered in scornful tone.

 

“But, you like her”, I concluded.

 

“I told you, I don’t know”, she insisted. “Do I?” she asked and I just shrugged.

 

“Krystal, what stopping you? Are you perhaps ashamed with gays, lesbians or alike?” I frankly asked her.

 

“No”, her short answered. “She is so different from you, you are suave and she is what I said earlier. Opposite of you”, she whispered. I got nervous for what she claimed.

 

“Don’t misunderstand me Yuri Unnie, I just could not help but compare”, she immediately explained. I smiled at her with understanding.

 

“Ahh, you wanted a slow pace like ours.” I said to her. “But, it would be boring for you because you knew already what might happened next.” I added.

 

“Don’t you think it would be adventurous and challenging with her kind of character? Can’t you take a leapt of faith with her if only you like or love her. If it did not work out, then let go.” I suggested.

 

“Love could be very confusing especially in our case. Plus, it is a big taboo in our society. It never felt comfortable people looking or staring at you and your partner, as if you have done a gravely and unforgivable sin. It is a human nature to judge, because it is an unconventional relationship. But, what can we do, we love each other. Love that is enough to hold, appreciate and cherish more what we have. Our love make us happy. What important is at the end of the day, it is me, her and heaven-above to walk in this so called life and be happy. Pray for it, Krystal. And, you will find your answer.” I suddenly felt smart for what I said.

 

“Me and your Unnie will support whatever decision you make”, I sincerely added,

 

“But, Unnie does not like her”, she uttered.

 

“Ah, yeah, right. But, you know your Unnie, she is just being protective of her little sister”, I defended Sica but at the back of mind, I would get in trouble if she would hear what I was saying to her sister. My Princess does not like the flirty side of Amber. Suddenly, someone knock on the door and open it.

 

“What are you doing here, Krystal?” Sica came holding a folder. I smiled sweetly to my baby who walked around my table and kissed me briefly. She gave the folder and I opened and scanned the content quickly.

 

“Just asking Yuri Unnie for a lunch date”, she casually answered and rolled her eyes for her sister’s public display of affection. “I am craving for California Rolls”, she added and looked at me then winked.

 

“We have not eaten at that no-name eatery at the basement, Seobang. Let’s have lunch there, now.” Sica declared and Krystal and I just complied.

 

(Jessica POV)

My father and I had a lunch business meeting with a prospect client for a possible partnership. He brought me to explain better the financial status of the company. According to him, he had been meeting to this person who shared the same last name of my Seobang. He asked me if Yuri does not have any connection to him. This person’s business was a big distributor of different merchandises in Europe and father wants a partnership with him. I heaved a sigh as this person was late already.

 

“Hi, Yun-Ho. Sorry, I’m late. My prior meeting was extended unexpectedly.” He came rushing and sincerely apologized.

 

“Its okay, Tyler. I hope you don’t mind I brought my daughter. She is our Chief Executive for Accounting and Finance Division. She could explain further in details our financial statement.” My father disclosed.

 

“Hi, I’m Jessica Jung.” I courtly introduced myself and gave him a business smile. I extended my hands for a handshake. He stared at me too long that I got conscious and I was about to retract my hand.

 

“Hi, Tyler Kwon.” He took my handshake and gave me a knowing smile.

 

“You don’t remember me. Do you? So your father is Yun-ho, if I have known, we had sealed our partnership.” He casually declared while smiling at me while I raked my brain if I had meet him before.

 

“You know, London Fashion Show hosted by Central Saint Martins College graduating students, fabric, leathers, hats…” he was intently looking at me and my memory started to flood with memories. I had fought with him due to wrong deliveries that was actually mistaken by my classmate purchaser. I smiled on that thought.

 

“So, how are you now, I thought you are doing fashion. But not bad for being Chief Executive.” He teasingly asked me with familiarity. I saw my father smiling at us.

 

“I have my fashion line but my father requested the presence of his beloved daughter to assist him on his business. It was put on-hold for a while now”, I pouted to him and he laughed.

 

“Good to see you again, Sooyeon”, he claimed.

 

“Likewise”, I sincerely smiled to him. Then, we proceeded on ordering food.

 

“So, you are married”, he casually stated while chewing and looking at my rings.

 

“Yes. Just last year”, I proudly told him and shared my love story.

 

“Ohh, your gay”, he looked surprised at me.

 

“Yes, any problem with that?” I asked back and challenged him.

 

“No. No. No. I was just surprised. You too beautiful to be gay.” He defensively asserted. I got shy on his response.

 

“Her name shared the same last name of yours, Kwon Yuri.” I said.

 

“So, Tyler. For how long you will stay here in San Francisco”, my father butted in.

 

“I only have 2 weeks. We could proceed on partnership. I read your proposal and I will send it to you later. I made some comments and suggestions. Please take consideration of my notes.” He said in business like tone.

 

“Sure, that would not be a problem”, my father was all smile and I could not help but to do the same.

 

(Yuri POV)

“Seobang, we cannot go out tomorrow. Father wanted me to join him on dinner meeting with Tyler.” Sica informed me while she settled herself on the bed.

 

“Then, you should have informed me earlier”, I protested.

 

“Father informed me this afternoon”, I heard her replied. I immediately went out to our veranda and call all the concern parties to cancel my surprise for her. What a wasted money. I heaved a long sigh after my call. I had this gut feeling that we would not have our date and yet I proceeded with my plans. Since, last week, Sica has been extra bubbly with this, Tyler Kwon. I didn’t want to be jealous but she was acting extra excited talking about him, given that Tyler was a former colleague from London. She was spending more time with him as they discussed the re-opening of her fashion line. He would supply her the materials, and would also help in the distribution of her clothing line. She was more than grateful. I shook my head at the possibility of losing her. I should trust her without doubt.

 

The ministry from Thailand had contacted and informed me that he had sent a soft copy of documents. He wanted us to check the details first before sending us the original documents in letter head which for our signature. I had checked and just waiting for the documents to arrive.

 

“What are you thinking? I’m sorry if I ruined your plan for me tomorrow.” She hugged from the back and held me tight.

 

“I don’t have plan tomorrow. It is just a dinner reservation.” I simply denied. I did not want her to feel bad about it.

 

“I see.” She sounded disappointed and I just shrugged off.

 

“Let’s sleep. Okay.” I suddenly felt crying and before that happen, I untangled her arms and went in first. I went to bathroom and opened the faucet. This cannot be happening. My gut feeling never failed me. My intuition always served me well. After sometime, I went out of the bathroom and found her already sleeping and my tears fall for the first time in a long time.