Chapter 10

Let Just Be Happy

(Jessica POV)

We were now in a cab and I noticed that mostly of the few establishment in this particular town were either starts or ends with ‘Kwon’ or ‘K’ which I assumed short for Kwon too. From restaurant to supermarket, we passed-by a bookstore, a pawnshop, a 5-storey-inn, and a bank. I remembered in our late night talks that her previous job before coming to Seoul was helping his father in their business. She did not elaborate much and I did not push further. I now assumed that she worked at the bank, or maybe she managed the bank, as she was aware about investments, forex and stock market. I have a very humble Seobang to interrogate later.

 

We got off the cab infront of a big and tall gate, ‘The Kwons’ it says. I tried to see in between the open steel gates and saw a sole Mediterranean big house quite far away. A head security guard, Onew, as per his nameplate, approached us and recognized Yuri. He greeted and bowed immediately. He led us inside and walked on a golf cart parking nearby. Yuri said her thank you and we settled ourselves in. She started and drive the cart along the path and after 18 minutes as her drive was very slow, as if she letting me enjoy the view. Well, absolutely very beautiful view, aside from well-trimmed bushes and trees, I saw a lake with few ducks swimming in it. ‘Cute’, I thought. We were liked in a golf course. Now, we were standing in front of their huge door with intricate design. Somehow the front exterior of our home at Seoul was a mini reflection of this house. I was holding her hand tightly. She looked and smiled at me, as if giving me assurance that I do not have to worry. She was about to open it when suddenly the door opened and revealed a pretty simple woman in her mid-late forties, she warmly hug my Seobang.

 

“Oh my. I miss my baby”, the woman said while tearing up. I let go of her hand so she could hug back the woman.

 

“I missed you, umma”, she warmly kissed her mother on the cheeks. Her mother set Yuri aside and looked at me.

 

“So, you must be our Sooyeon. Yuri told many stories about you”, she suddenly hug me warmly while caressing my head.

 

“I hope they were all good”, I said while hugging her back. After our long hug, she let me go and I took it as a chance to introduce myself properly.

 

“Umma, meet Jessica Jung Sooyeon. My wife”, Yuri surprised me not only beating me on introducing myself but on how she addressed me proudly. “Sica-baby, my pretty Umma”, she continued.

 

“Please to meet you, Mrs. Kwon”, I bowed in traditional way.

 

“Call me, Umma. Umma”, her mother lovingly held my hand.

 

“Please to meet you, Umma”, I corrected shyly and traditionally bowed again.

 

“Welcome to the family, Sooyeon, I hope you don’t mind calling you ‘Sooyeon’”, she asked while crossed her arms on my own and lead us inside. The insides were very open and white, cozy and very homey. A young old lady with a boy in tow both in white uniform approached us and Umma instructed to take and bring our luggage in Yuri’s room. The boy took our luggage but the old lady came nearer Yuri and hug her while crying. Yuri hug her back and kissed both of her cheeks while wiped her tears.

 

“Mama”, and did some sign language. The old woman hug her again. After the hug, Yuri brought the woman in front of me. She did sign language again and the old woman sweetly smiled at me. The old woman came to me and hug me. Then, I just smiled and hug her back. She shyly removed her hug after some time.

 

“She is Boa, Yuri called her Mama. She helped me in taking care of my Yuri and Hyuk-jun, her brother. She is both mute and deaf but can helped me in managing the house”, Umma carefully explained. I nodded and smile again to the old woman. My Seobang has many surprises of her sleeves.

 

From my peripheral view, I saw two men entering the front door. Both in business suits, I guessed they are her father and brother. They’re looked-alike and have a lot of physical similarities, not very hard to identify that they are family.

 

Yuri came to them and hug and kissed them both. They were like 3 musketeers as they playfully hitting each other.

 

“Thank you, Sooyeon, for bringing home our Yuri, though only visiting”, Umma sincerely said to me. “We thought she will never come home to visit”, Umma added. ‘Well, she was gone for a year and half or lesser, if I am not mistaken’, I thought to myself. Umma sounded so relief with Yuri visiting. Yuri will have a lot of explaining to do in our privacy later.

 

“So, who is this beautiful and young lady”, I believed it was his father who asked.

 

“Appa, Oppa, meet my wife, Jessica Jung Sooyeon”, Yuri introduced me proudly again while smiling big.

 

“Hello, Sir, I am Jessica Jung Sooyeon. Please to meet you, Mr. Kwons”, I bowed traditionally. Her father grimace, while his brother have lopsided smile.

 

“Hello, Appa, Oppa, please to meet you, I am Jessica Jung Sooyeon. You can call me Jessica or Sooyeon”, I bowed traditionally again. They both smiled, and her father full me for an embrace, then after, his brother gave me hug for too long that make Yuri shouted on him and forcefully separated us. The whole family laughed on her antics. Oh, Seobang, you have a long night to fill-me-in your story later.

 

We had our dinner and they were so lively. They treated me liked we have known each other for a long time as they jokingly bullying me and also became victim of their little franks during and after dinner. They would even asked for opinion as if my saying on the subject/topic would matter. We ended our chat around 11pm already. Umma and Appa left us with an excused of their age were getting younger that they had to keep it young. Her brother excused himself as he had an early flight tomorrow morning. We were left on the veranda, Yuri full me in to sit on her lap.

 

“Let’s go to our room now, so you could properly rest”, my Seobang cooed to me. I just ‘hummed’ to her. But I remembered my supposed interrogation to her.

 

“So, Ms. Richie Rich, what your story? Why your mother is thankful of your come back though only visiting”, I asked with at most curiosity. I hugged her and placed my head on the crook of her neck. I loved and addictive on her vanilla scent. I inhaled on her and hugged her tight.

 

“The businesses or enterprises we passed by earlier are family owned. I have only shares with some of them, not all, as our father’s grandparents had given me and my brother our share of their wealth. They wanted us to be responsible and see how we would manage the wealth that were entrusted to us. We were trained young and at the same time not forgetting our schooling. The offices became our playground. We never complained though as they let us do other things. We compromised. They taught us how to manage our time at a young age. We keep what we earn as I worked at the bank. I got interested on investment. I liked forex and stock the most. Then, I fall in love with my childhood sweetheart. They said, he was supposed to propose the following day before I caught him handy-dandy with his office mate”, she was caressing my arms while explaining to me in one breath.

 

“I left home not because of my ex-boyfriend but because I felt betrayed, he was a childhood sweetheart then the girl he cheated on me was my cousin who’s very dear to me.” She added, still caressing me and it’s getting me sleepy.

 

“I hope to meet them while we stay here. I would like to thank them both for cheating on you”, I said then kissed her chin.

 

“Because, you know, I have you now. You are mine now”, I added with great conviction. She giggled on my statement and hugged me tight.

 

“I know my princess, I know. Let’s sleep now. We have enough story for the night. We have our lifetime for more. Oki”, she ended our quite long story-telling. She carried me bridal-style and tucked-in ourselves on the bed.

 

“Good night and I love you Kwon Yuri”, I whispered sweetly as I placed my head on the crook of her neck as always.

 

“Good night and I love you too, Jessica Jung Sooyeon”, she tilted my chin and placed a chaste kiss on me. I was never get satisfied with a chaste kiss, so I kissed her passionately. I roamed my hands on her abs and caressed them. And, we had a longer night.